Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic coffee shortage? Next Topic
Page: of 2

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I wish I liked coffee! It smells so Fabulous! I used to beg my mom to let me be the one to open the new cans. Then I'd do the big deep sniff. Mom used to tease me that I might like it better if I snorted it.

Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that it now comes in "plastic" cans? I would think that would impart a really nasty taste to it. Besides, how are we supposed to make that cute little footstool without traditional coffee cans?!?!?!

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, I don't buy Folgers and would only drink it if I was in someone else's home and didn't want to be rude. But, I too was saddened when I noticed that they switched to plastic. What are people going to do without a coffee CAN to put their nuts and bolts in? How will smokers safely collect their butts until they are cooled and can be put into the trash? What will little kids carry their worms in when they go fishing? I don't think that they know what they've done.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Junebug, do you drink regular or decaf???

quote:
What are people going to do without a coffee CAN to put their nuts and bolts in? How will smokers safely collect their butts until they are cooled and can be put into the trash? What will little kids carry their worms in when they go fishing? I don't think that they know what they've done.

Yes, yes! I don't think they know what they have done either!

At Halloween, Mom would issue each of us kids a coffee can and we would sit down at the kitchen table and sort through our Loot. We were allowed to eat a few pieces of candy right away, trade off the stuff we didn't like (circus peanuts and necco wafers in my case), and the rest went into our own personal coffee can for storage. After school, we would get into our coffee cans and eat a few more pieces.

Mom also stored extra staples, like the sugar she got on sale, in coffee cans.

We used them for small toy bits, worms, our treasures like rocks, shells from bird eggs, our acorn "tea sets", the list goes on and on. We also melted wax in them when we made candles and Dad melted lead in them to make sinkers for fishing and bullets for his muzzle loader. Dad even made a cookie cutter for Mom from one when she didn't have the shape she wanted.

Does anyone remember the coffee shortages of the 70's? I was just a kid but I remember that Mom had this whole network of women. They called one another anytime a store actually got coffee in and whenever they saw a sale. Folgers had decorator cans with jungle scenes, etc. They gave away children's books too. All this to get customers to go ahead and by their coffee even though the prices had gotten outrageous. (As if serious caffeine addiction were not enough).

You know, I really should like coffee, I got roughly three pots per day before I was born!!!

Is Folgers the only brand in plastic jugs????

Lucinda

P. S. I just edited this because one of my dear friends just pointed out that it is obvious that I do not drink coffee (I repeatedly misspelled the company's name.)

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Edited by - thehouseminder on Sep 23 2005 6:26:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, I love what you wrote about the simplest of things in my life... and now I have a new perspective on it because of you...coffee cans. Back in the 'good ole days" of the 80's as a young wife I saved those cans for my husband to store his nails, nuts/bolts all the metal stuff he had on his work bench. I used the big ones to make winter car survival kits out of and would put matches, sacks of trail mix, nuts, candles, cup for melting snow for his long drives to airports through rough winter weather. I used them to keep crayons in for my daughters art projects. I remember the coffee shortage of the early 70's and those funky decorated coffee cans. My Mom panicked when coffee hit over 3 bucks a pound! There was also sugar shortages too, and meat went way up in price about that time. I have an little 21 year old Itallian coffee bean grinder that I use to grind whole beans. It has never let me down and I love my bean grinder like a friend. Then I use an old fashioned perculator with the little glass top thingy to perk my coffee. Mmmmmm. Black with a little milk.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark,

So nice to hear from you! I've been missing all of you. Been busy taking care of Grandma in her last days. One of us is with her 24/7. It's hard to see her failing but what a gift to have the time to tell her everything I have always wanted to tell her, ask questions I never got around to, and just have long good old fashioned girl talks.

Anyway, I still have my toy, metal, percolator. It is a 4.5" exact and working copy of the grown-up size, complete with the glass top thingy. One of my most vivid memories of my other grandmother is going from store to store trying to find a replacement for her glass percolator top. Of course, in that day, no one would think to throw it out but instead repaired everything. The "Fitz-All" brand top turned out to "fit none". I'm not sure if we ever found the replacement but we sure had an interesting time!

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  08:08:39 AM  Show Profile
I live on the coast, salt airs and coffee cans don't mix.

In regards to no cans and the use of plastic have you read about the toxic effects of phthalates? Is cheap packaging worth this risk?

When you look at shortages, we must also look at deals where locally food/stuff are not able to be shipped out along I-10. Major markets have been lost on the Gulf.

for online coffee buying Pura Vida is 100% charitably owned and all of their resources go to help at-risk children and families in coffee-growing countries build more hopeful futures.
http://www.puravidacoffee.com/store/coffee/store_body.asp

I have missed reading you((( Lucinda))). My prayers ascend as you walk your grandmother to heavens door. I am a repair all descendant too.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I had to make a compromise with the hubby, since I had to cut back on caffine, and he doesn't yet, we now drink half caf from Folgers, same great taste! Oh yes, I too miss the tin cans, they can in handy in so many ways, esp. around the holidays when I would save up the big cans and stray paint them a Christmas red and have hubby add a wire hanger and I"d fill them with homemade jams and goodies and use them as gift baskets. They also made for great storage inside and out and I have fond memories of all the ways the cans were used that mentioned above. I do think the plasitc cans can leach into the coffee? I don't like the bags either, but what are we to do? Thanks for the memories.......

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  04:50:53 AM  Show Profile
I had to share this act of kindness with you, Lucinda sent me a big can of Folgers coffee, but more important than the product, was the true spirit of a farm girl! I couldn't believe she had gone to the trouble and expense of shipping me a can to tide me over, how sweet! Lucinda, you are a special person and I am honored to call you friend, bless you and when you least expect it, I will return the favor, because one good turn deserves another! I will think of you with each cup brewed, THANK YOU SO MUCH........

Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I have recently started buying all Fair Trade coffee and tea, but I have to confess that I will still buy the Holiday Blend from Hickory Farms (rich, dark coffee flavored with cinnamon, vanilla and hazelnut) until I learn how to duplicate it myself. If you like flavored coffee, the combination of these three flavors is heavenly.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  04:45:51 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know Hickory Farms made coffee too, sounds yummy, will have to try making that blend on my own. Thanks for sharing!

Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Fortunately the coffee I use comes in metal cans but the Tasters Choice instant comes in plastic with a flip top lid. I hate it. It's hard to close and I have to spend more time fiddling with it. Now I just transfer it to an old glass TC jar that I had saved.

I think the plastic packaging is a ruse so coffee will go stale much quicker resulting in us having to buy more.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  11:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Ellen! Thank you very much for this link. This is the type of socially conscientious decision that we must each make, because in the long run it's the only thing that will affect a change. I've bookmarked this!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Good point SusieQ, didn't think of that. I'm not sure how many are using the plasitc cans like the tins ones, example: storage, but let's hope they are so the landfills are filling up with MORE plastic! Welcome Clare!

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:28:51 AM  Show Profile
We make big decisions everyday not only where we shop but what we buy.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/

Fair trade is available for tropical fruit,rice,sugar, tea and cocoa products.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sue!

I'm so glad you like your coffee!. I hope it is okay that it is not decaf. The stocker at the store told me it was the most popular Folgers and you hadn't yet posted your preference.

It was really fun to know what a surprise it would be.
Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:30:26 PM  Show Profile
It's fine Lucinda, I treat myself to the real stuff now and then. I still can't believe you did that, so again, THANK YOU !!!! And keep a eye on your mailbox!

Go to Top of Page

susanne
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

susanne

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't drink coffee but my husband does. He saves the big coffee cans for our conoe trips. I hate to portage and will shoot the rapids instead which results in a leak and the need for BIG coffee cans. Good luck with acquiring your drink of desire. Hey, can I have your cans?
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile
No!!!! You can't have my cans!!! They're mine!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi junebug, I love Folgers. We have no shortage yet that I know of. I drink much more tea then coffee but I do need and want that first cup of the day, then one cup in the afternoon. One thing I have to say about coffee and all other products. I wish I could say I didn't use this or that because someone who is making or producing it isn't getting treated fairly. For myself only I say this; in this world, I've learned to pick and choose my causes. Like everyone else, I've got my passions & causes but I found myself going crazy because one can literally see something bad in everything we use, eat,drink, wash,have fun with,etc. I started to see only negatively and not wanting to use, buy, or give because it was hurting someone or something. I am a, glass is 1/2 full person and I want to stay that way. Maybe I cant save the people growing the coffee, but I can save a dog from Katrina, give a child a place to sleep tonight or feed someone hungry which I do almost nightly at my job. I have to be content with what I can do and try everyday to do something helpful for somebody.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  05:08:27 AM  Show Profile
Rock on WesternHorse51! I totally agree with what you say. It is so very hard to not be judgemental of ourselves. The bible says "Judge not, let ye be judged" I used to think that that only meant that I shouldn't judge others, lately I am seeing that it means I shouldn't judge/be harsh on myself. I do feel hypocritical sometimes though as I try to "eat locally, think globally" and then I shop at the dollar store. I do so love the dollar store by sometimes wonder how much the people producing the product gets paid if I'm only buying it for a dollar ......sigh...
I think what is best is what you said "I have to be content with what I can do and try everyday to do something helpful for everybody" well said

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic coffee shortage? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page