Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Country Fast Food.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile
I thought I might share last night's dinner with you, and see if you can add other good ideas. I really love this one, and it's inexpensive.

Puffball Soup

Puffballs grow in the woods here, and right now are very plentiful. When harvested while small (cantaloupe to soccer ball size), they're extremely flavorful and make your house smell wonderful. I was walking in the woods with my grandsons the other day, and saw several immature ones, and several mature ones. Mature ones darken, and then you kick them to spread the spores for more next year. The immature ones are as white as any mushroom you find in the supermarket.

So I cut the puffball into small cubes, and saute them in a deep stock pot with olive oil and a chopped sweet onion. I thought about using butter, and the French cook side of me nearly won that argument, but I decided on olive oil for the good fat. Anyway, when the mushrooms are tender and have released much of their moisture, I add a few cloves of chopped garlic, stir a bit more, and then add about a quart of quality chicken broth. I add about a teaspoon of thyme and let it simmer over the lowest heat possible (even using a diffuser) for about an hour. When I'm just about ready to serve, I add a pint of cream or half and half, stir to warm (don't boil, icky), salt to taste if necessary, and serve. OMG, it's the most flavorful mushroom soup you can imagine!!! Reheated, it's bliss. I had some for lunch today with a half a peanut butter sandwich.

Oh, if you want it creamier, you could stir in a roux, or saute the mushrooms in the oil with a bit of flour. I like it the thinner, more authentic way of French cream soups.

It was very fast, cheap and easy, and took few ingredients.

I'd love to hear your quick and easy Country Fast Food recipes!

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,
That soup sounds heavenly!! I don't know if we have puffballs here in Idaho. I'll have to check with folks who know their mushrooms. I am not familiar with mushroom hunting, but I know some natives who are. Yummy!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Country Fast Food.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page