True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I've been reading many posts for the past several months about saving money on groceries. It's only going to get worse, they predict, with the rising costs of fuel and grain this year. We're already seeing it with the bread. It's over $3 a loaf here, for basic brown bread, nothing artisan.

I'm having a tough time here cutting down my grocery budget (I know I'm spending around $800 or more a month) with 3 teenagers, and a husband and kitty. Part of it is working full time, and working 3 evenings each week, they are making supper, so I'm leaving things for them that aren't too complicated. Unfortunately, this = expensive. I know I have to get out the crock pot, etc., to cut this bill. I'm taking courses part-time which also cuts into my scratch cooking prep time. I hope this doesn't sound like a lot of excuses, but it's just so frustrating seeing how much of my paycheck is going into food every week! I was keeping track on the fridge, of how much we spent every month, but then my daughter told me that it was making them all feel guilty about eating, so I stopped doing that.

Here's one thing I did do this morning, to save money:

I made a pot of real green tea, and let it cool, added a little lemon and a bit of sugar, and refilled some small bottles with it. The kids like it, it's something they can take in their lunches that's healthy, and it costs much less than buying bottles of it every week. I'm really on an anti-soda kick here. If I don't have any green tea ready, they take 100% juice in bottles I reuse.

We don't have any large scale grocery wholesale type shops around here, so the local store is pretty pricey. I'm off this Saturday coming up, so I'm going to drive into Orillia and shop at one of the discount chains there, to try to stock up.

Lori

P.S. Budget took a hit yesterday, we went to see the Blue Jays play Boston Red Socks in Toronto, and had to pay $30 for parking!!! Oh well, it was hubby's birthday present, but what a ripoff! It was a great game, though!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I need to go shopping. I used the last of the eggs last night trying to make banana bread. Three of the eggs that I broke open were rotten inside. Ugh. Gross.

I need:
Eggs
Measuring Spoons
Whole Milk
Beans
Tomato Sauce and Paste
Frozen peas and broccoli
Hamburger
Potatoes
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Cabbage
Tillapia Fish
Cheddar Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Salmon
pork roast
chicken breast
bell peppers
Whole chicken or small turkey
pork chops
applesauce
mushroom soup
chow mein noodles

I should be able to get all that plus whatever else occurs to me as I am shopping, for around $150. That will be the food for us for the rest of the month. However we do have to buy at least a gallon of milk each week for Nora.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  12:02:42 PM  Show Profile
My grocery budget took a little hit this weekend because I didn't get to the farmers market on Thurs and I bought a few things I don't normally get. Plus, sis and I took mom and dad to brunch for dad's 79th B. Day and I ended up going to sis's store, which turned out to be more expensive than mine. It sure is cheaper to buy at the FM than at the store. And, I can get the sizes I want. Since when did it become necessary for an onion to be the size of a softball and a baking potatoe to weigh almost a pound or more. I don't like buying them bagged because 3 lbs of onions or 5 lbs of potatoes is too much for us and ends up rotting before we can use them all.

I think the other area that's getting high is dairy products. Milk was 6.99 a gallon, ice cream was 6.49 (buy 1 get 1 free, but they are not 1/2 gal) and all the yoghurts were at least a dollar. I haven't been able to buy cheese on sale in over a month. DD and I saw a yoghurt/ice cream maker at Costco for 59.99 and i jokingly suggested my birthday, but now I may get serious. I thought about buying yoghurt in the large container, but we seem to only get plain, lemon, and strawberry, not DD's favorites.

Anyway, I spent 59.88 and got:
marinade - 1.79
popcorn - 1.89
rice vinegar - 3.39
gallon milk - 6.99
salad dressing (for taco salads) - 3.50
cereal
granola bars (the cereal and granola bars were 4 for 10 with a discount for using your club card. Sis loaned me her's so they were discounted more)
ice cream - 6.49 (buy 1 get 1 free)
9-grain bread - 2.69
cottage cheese - 2.00
tomato sauce (2) - 1.00ea
tortilla chips (for taco salads) - 2.50
yoghurt (5) - 1 ea
bananas (4) - .82
cabbage (1) - 1.32
asparagus (1.1 lb) - 3.29
onion (1) - .65
romaine lettuce (3 head pkg) - 2.69
peanuts - 3.89
tomatoes (3) - 2.00
brocolli - 1.22

With the run to Costco a week ago I think we may be pretty well set for a while, except for produce and milk each week.

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile
ment to mention that Big Lots and the 99 cent store ususally has a good selection of razors and not too expensive. at those prices I might be tempted to give up shaving , then again summer is coming and I'll want to wear shorts without frightening people.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I am raising my monthly budget to $200 since it seems prices have gone up quite a bit. $.99 cent bags of dried beans are now about $1.30- ouch.
Shopping Reciept:
Dozen Eggs-1.50
Hunts Tomato Sauce- 1.67
Hunts Tomato Sauce- 1.67
Hunts Tomato Sauce- 1.67
Hunts Tomato Paste- 1.39
Hunts Tomato Paste- 1.39
Beets (canned)- .62
Treetop Apple Sauce- 1.98
Gallon of milk- 2.98
Hunts Tomato Sauce- 1.67
Apple Juice- 1.23
Kiwi Strawberry Juice- 1.26
Apple juice- 1.23
Cranberry Juice- 1.26
Green Cabbage- 1.34
Lettuce- .98
2lbs carrots- .98
Great Northern dry beans- 2.18
beets sliced- .62
Pizza Sauce- .53
Pizza Sauce- .53
Dried black beans- 1.13
dried kidney beans- 2.46
Dried black beans- 1.13
dried black beans- 1.13
celery- 1.00
gallon of milk- 2.98
3 Green Bell peppers- .96
2 Red Bell Peppers- 1.74
Bendy Straws- 1.48
broccoli crowns- 1.18
Granola Bars fudge dipped- 1.58
coconut granola bars- 1.58
Raisins- 1.49
Cream of chicken soup- .88
cream of chicken soup- .88
cream of mushroom soup- .88
tomato sauce- .53
unsalted butter- 1.98
real lemon juice- 2.15
sour cream- 1.38
potatoes 10#- 1.98
orange juice- 1.48
broccoli florets (frozen)- 1.80
roma tomatoes- 1.83
5lb onions- 1.68
orange juice- 1.48
chow mein noodles- 1.43
olive oil- 4.18
measuring spoons- 2.09
non stick spray- 1.84
grapeseed oil- 7.64
frozen peas- 1.74
taco seasoning- .44
mozzarella- 5.98 (2 lb loaf)
honey tangerines- 3.21
shortening- 2.51
ranch packet .98
medium cheddar cheese- 5.98

Grand total- $114.73
Plus $77 at butcher which includes 2 pot roasts, 4 pork chops, 10 lbs of fresh hamburger, 10 chicken breasts, 2 whole (small) chickens and I can't remember what else! LOL

So for a WHOLE month worth of food (and then some)- $191.73!!

I feel really good about the shopping, but I am REALLY looking forward to garden tomatoes this summer as I _hated_ buying tomato sauce.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  2:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Another week another trip to the store- this time it was to a small European Deli I've been wanting to go to for ages. It was really hard to resist stuff there, as the fella and I love the British (tea and biccies!) and Scandinavian brands (brown cheese!). We settled for splurging on liver pate that was 2 for 1.

Raspberry Tea 2.99
Garlic Sausage 2.87
Salami 2.22
Pate (2for1) 2.29 Total: 10.37

Good job at the butcher's Alee! That's a good idea to get a month's worth of meat at the same time and chuck it all in the freezer. I think I may have to do that next month.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile
I have been lurking on this thread and it is so fascinating! Sorry for not posting yet- we spend ALOT on our groceries but I am still trying to figure out how much of it is on diapers, wipes, paper products and other non- food items. I have been tracking our expenses now for three weeks and it is eye opening. We have stocked up on rice, beans, pasta and pantry stuff so now we are just buying fresh stuff to add to those.
Here is my ah-ha moment so far...I do the meal planning and shopping but often hubby cooks! So now we are meal planning together and making extra the day before he goes on shift so he can take leftovers to work. He has great ideas and our meals are more interesting. I am also carving out a portion of our budget to order some of Mary Jane's instant lunches for him so he can eat on the run (he is a firefighter and anything above 5 minutes prep time can get interrupted). I know those will be a bit of an expense (he could eat PBJ's but doesn't) but what he falls back on now is is not healthy or satisfying.

Alee- When you shop like this for the month what are you eating for vegis (I see them there but I am having trouble seeing the dish they end up in)? I feel like we are always running out for salad fixings, fruit, etc. We shop weekly for those things fresh and those extra trips add up(it seems like I spend even more if I keep canned things around)...Just curious as to what people are making from these items on lists. We eat meat maybe once per week so vegis do play a big role in our meals.
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Rebekka!

I often include veggies "hidden" in other things. I make my marinara sauce for spaghetti, lasagna, goulash and such with tons of carrots, celery, onions, garlic etc in it. You can buy a bag on onions at Winco for $1.68 which is 5lbs. In addition to hiding veggies in just about everything I always make sure that we have fruit and veggies on the side. We have a lot of canned fruit and veg that I am letting dwindle down a bit since we are moving. Doug will often eat a whole can of peaches or pears as a snack.

For dinners I will steam the raw broccoli or serve it washed and raw. Another veggie rich dish is my cabbage burgers which is a meat/cabbage/celery/onion/carrots/spices cooked inside homemade bread dish.

I do go to the co-op and try to buy as much there as I can, but since we are on an extreme budget right now, most of my fruits and veg are from Winco. I buy the old bananas at the co-op to make smoothies and banana bread out of. Also in-season fruit can be a super cheap fruit. I buy whatever fruit is on the cheapest sale at Winco and I then I buy enough for us to eat through the month. Sometimes we have to go buy more fruits and veg later in the month but I usually try to keep $10-20 left over in my budget for things like that.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile
I spent $280 this week. I spent over $400 last week because I stocked up on frozen strawberries and mangos for the month. Even without eating any dairy products, any meat I can't get our groceries down below $1000 a month. This month looks like it will be $1200. I think the only way I will be able to get it down lower will be to grow most of my own.. but can't do that until after we move- so it will be next spring.. So what did I get for $280??
3 40 lb cases of bananas
1 24 count case of spinach bunches
30 bunches of curly parsley
12 more bunches of spinach
10 cucumbers
8 fuji apples
1 qt jar of crushed garlic
4 containers of hummus (I use one container as a base for my homemade hummus because I can't find tahini locally)
THen I headed over to Super Walmart- I don't buy my produce there
3 90 count packages of corn tortillas
4 packages of whole wheat pita bread
3 #10 cans of Bushes Mild Chili beans (use 1 can as base for my chili)
3 large cans of rotels diced tomatoes and chiles
2 16 ounce cans of tomato sauce
9 cans of garbanzo beans
2 gallons silk vanilla soymilk- I use this as creamer for my coffee
1 large can of coffee mate dry creamer- for hubby
1 can of coffee
a package of 4 sippy cups with straws I can rinse out- so great for smoothies- for the littles
a pair of sandles for the 4 year old
goodnight diapers for one of my olders who is still struggling with night time wetting
8 packets of chili seasoning- I would have preferred chili powder but this particular walmart isn't selling the large canister of chili powder like the others are- it was cheaper to do the packets.
24 pack of toilet paper
This will be enough for a week- somethings will last 2 weeks, like the 9 cans of garbanzos, the coffee, the creamer, the soymilk, the diapers.. the rest will need to be replenished.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  10:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Debra-

I think you need a Costco membership! :D I find that buying in bulk at Costco really beats the stuffing out of grocery store prices!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  04:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Debra, that's quite a shopping you just did! Just curious, how do you keep 120 pounds of bananas around for a while? Are you freezing some of them?

My bargain this week was a fresh pineapple for 99 cents. Our local store had overstocked the week before and had cases of them reduced, but they were super ripe! I wasn't sure if pineapple would freeze well, so I only bought one.

Off to the city tomorrow to stock up...

Lori
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  07:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I have a Sam's Club membership. I can get pinto beans in 50 lb bags but haven't found garbanzo's there and they don't carry my Bush's chili beans. I get tortillas there when I go but we go through so much now- (so now I know how much to get when I go next time- to last the whole month). The spinach is sold in 1.5 lbs bag for almost $4 where I can get 3 lbs for $4 at the grocery store. I can get bananas cheaper but we like to use them fresh in the smoothies so I buy those weekly. I stock up on Frozen fruit for the month at Sam's..Our Sam's is not very good on produce- I wish they were better.
I wish I had a Costco card but years ago we had gotten scammed and a check to costco was part of it. Every since- even after clearing it up we haven't been able to get another card. :-(
Lori, we use up 80 lbs in smoothies each week. We drink about 4 gallons of green smoothies a day. The other 40 lbs will get eaten fresh- I find they are the cheapest snack around besides air popped popcorn without butter. And yes, my kids will eat it without popcorn!

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a good article for us on the grocery challenge- from www.stretcher.com

Feel like sticking to your grocery budget is always a struggle? With all of the tricky marketing schemes grocery stores have in place, it's little wonder. Read on to learn about several of the lesser-known grocery store dollar snatchers that could be gobbling up your shopping budget.

Sales aisle - Many grocery chains have begun to use the first aisle of the store to display weekly sales items. Admittedly, the bargains on this aisle may look irresistible, but if you want to minimize your grocery bill, it's best to leave these "bargains" sitting on the shelf. Why? Because a sales aisle takes away your ability to comparison shop. Sure that particular brand of soup is on sale, but is it really the best buy? Unless you compare its price to the price of similar products you won't know.

Perhaps the more frustrating aspect of this aisle is its ability to add items to your grocery list. It's easy to fall for impulse buys, but it's even easier to fall for them at the beginning of the store when your cart is empty.

To keep the sales aisle from snatching your dollars, make it a policy to never buy anything from this area. Instead make a note of the items that you are interested in, and then compare prices when you get to their respective aisles.

Meat counter - Beware of the meat packages at the top of the pile! No, they don't carry Salmonella or Mad Cow's disease, but they may come with something just as frightening, which is a higher price! If you want to find the best deals on pre-packaged meat, you're going to need to dig. Often grocery stores place the most expensive packages on top, where they know a rushed shopper is likely to reach. Dig a little, and you'll save a lot.

Chip aisle - You know what would go great with those chips you just picked out? Some dip or salsa would be great. And gee, look it's sitting right next to the chips. How handy!

Perhaps a little too handy. When you buy dip or salsa from the chip aisle, you will usually pay a premium for it. Silly shopper, didn't you know you were supposed to pick out your dip or salsa way back on aisle three? You know, before you had decided whether you were going to buy tortilla chips or potato chips?

It sounds totally illogical, but this is just what you have to do to avoid paying impulse buy prices for these items. You see, the grocery stores realize this just isn't the shopping order that most people follow. They know that by placing these items together (as you would expect them to be), they can sell you smaller packages of dip and salsa at a higher price, without you even realizing it. Shady? Yes, but it's also reality.

To avoid this dollar snatcher, you have two options: buy your dip or salsa first (if you can remember to) or double back for your dip/salsa after you've picked out your chips.

Deli - Ever noticed how the deli tends to be the last stop in a grocery store? No accident, I assure you. You see, stores realize that it takes time to place and receive a deli order. You've got to wait for the deli worker to finish with other customers' orders, and then wait again while your order is prepared. All of this waiting gives you plenty of time to realize that you forgot to grab a loaf of bread or that you forgot to buy cheese. Now, you could run back to the other side of the store to get these items, or you could just pick them up from the displays in front of the deli counter. Convenient? Yes. A good buy? No. Generally, the food items found in the deli section are limited to premium (high-priced) brands.

To avoid this dollar snatcher, get in the habit of buying lunchmeat (and only lunchmeat) from the deli department. Bread, cheese, wraps, chips and condiments can all be found elsewhere in the store for a better price.

Learn to avoid the previous dollar snatchers, and you'll be much closer to realizing your grocery budget goals.

Erin Huffstetler is a freelance writer and stay-at-home mom based in Tennessee.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't ever buy something that isn't on my list UNLESS it is something we use all the time and it is majorly on sale. I keep waiting for canned beans to go on sale so I can stock up- like garbanzos, black beans, pinto beans (I cook my pinto beans from scratch but in a pinch it is nice to have some in the cupboard).

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I want to know how you have managed without measuring spoons, especially for baking???
If you bought a #10 can (about 7 pounds) of tomato sauce at Costco, which is just a bit over $2, you can portion it out and freeze what you won't use right away. Just that could save a bunch on your food budget. I actually prefer the crushed tomatoes and can season or thicken according to what I'm making.
Making your own mixes for taco seasoning, salad dressings, etc is much cheaper than buying the packets too. Check out Penzey's online for spices, they're 10x fresher than the store, cheaper and better. Anything you use a lot of is even a better buy in bulk amounts.
I know how to make a dollar stretch, had to for a long time and those lessons stick with a person. Also learned how to buy 2 wks groceries when I was 17, there was no running to the store in between and made sure I had what I needed. No neighbors, store was 25 miles and no car/drivers license, so I was dependent on Larry or his parents taking me to town to shop. Lori was a baby then, good thing she was healthy and didn't need dr visits regularly.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ronna!

Thanks for the great tips! Our Costco is 45 minutes away so we normally only go every couple of months, however next time I go I am going to stock up on tomato sauce- enough to last until I can can my own from homegrown tomatoes!

I had measuring spoons but for one reason or another they have disappeared from the kitchen? Not sure why or where they went to. I know Nora has a set in the play chest- but it seems wrong to steal toys from a baby to make Banana bread! :D

Thanks for the info about Penzey's! I have been looking for a good online supplier of spices. the Spices from the store are always so disappointing.

You are so right that the seasoning packs are so expensive. I don't normally buy the three that I did buy- but was low on the seasoning I needed to make and didn't want to buy more since we are moving in a couple of months.

I am always open to more tips- especially from someone who has been there and learned from experience.

One thing I refuse to buy any more of is cake or muffin mixes. I can make so many more for the same price from scratch and it really doesn't take that much longer. It is just the difference between the 2 minutes it takes to measure things out or the 2 minutes it takes to open the box, read the directions and then try and open that stupid plastic bag inside with out spraying the mix all over everything in your kitchen! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  7:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I actually bought chili seasoning packs for 50 cents each this week, I bought 4 dollars worth- because all they had were small cans of chili powder- for an outrageous amount of money. I would have spent the same amount on 1 small bottle and it wouldn't have lasted me for 8 batches of chili.
When I am at Sam's next I will get a big container of chili powder.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  1:35:16 PM  Show Profile
I haven't posted my shopping trips lately, so here goes.

7-Apr Denninger's-
Raspberry Tea 2.99
Garlic Sausage 2.87
Salami 2.22
Pate (2for1) 2.29
total:10.37
9-Apr Highland -
Italian Bread 1.89
Blackforest Ham 1.69
Cheese 0.84
Milk (2L) 3.69
Lettuce 1.29
total: 9.4
11-Apr Foodland-
Chips(2) 5
Tomato sauce 1.29
Total:6.4
12-Apr Farmer's M.-
Apple Cider (4L) 5
Leeks 2
Carrots 1.75
Total: 8.75

Total for April so far: 34.92!

I'm really proud of doing all our shopping at the little local stores so far this month. And supporting the farmer's market, the freezer is getting emptier too :)

*i'm being an uber-nerd an putting this all onto an excel sheet, it's really neat to see it all add up :)*

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great Job Meg! I am so glad I am not the only one that likes putting things into Excel.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  8:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had to go to the grocery store today. When I cleaned out my cupboards, I realized I was out of a few things that I had planned on having and decided to buy a few other things that had come up in the mean time as well. Then I got home and realized I had forgot a 4 more items- Shampoo, Conditioner, Dog Food, and Vinegar. Gosh! I am a ditz this month!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  05:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- My life consists of lists or else I would just walk endlessly around the stores. : )

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The funny thing is- I had a list both time- I just forgot to get those items on I guess!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile
For our family of 7, we (I!) spend about $100/ week. I could even shave a bit of that off, I think, especially after reading some of these ideas and tips!

One of my daughters and I share a food allergy so I make many things from scratch anyway. I could do it smarter, though.

Our biggest expense by far is cheese and soda! I'll have to work on those areas.

Today I went to the store with a '3 bag' goal (where I bring in my own grocery bags to use) and kept in mind that everything I wanted to get had to fit into those bags! Some times it's more, or sometimes less, but it really helps to curb impulse shopping! Also, I bring cash so I have a very tangible limit to my spending.

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  9:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Molly- That's great! You will have to share what your receipts are like and what your meals are like! I bet we could all learn a thing or two from you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:34:37 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite staples is a rotisserie sized chicken. On sale I can get a good sized one for around $3. I stick it in the rotisserie ('set it and forget it', right?) and then use about half for dinner with veggie sides of some sort. Then, there is enough left over to pick apart for enchiladas, chicken salad, soup, etc. for the next night's meal as well. Also, boiling the carcass for a while gives a nice stock that's great for a soup base or to make a white sauce based something or other. A really good chicken can give us a base for 3 meals, for $3.

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2008 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page