sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  8:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Debra! I'll try that :) I think I was making it too complicated (the green smoothie) with too many different things and they didn't necessarily tast the best together.

This week is Spring Break so headed to the beach with neices, nephews etc. there so wanted to do up some snacks to take without blowing my resolve for the Grocery Challenge :) I wanted to use what I had on hand so put together MaryJane's Budget Mix Decadent Cupcakes recipe (cut recipe by half and substituted Buttermilk for the whole milk) and added peanut butter chips and mini-chocolate chips to the batter. The turned out really yummy, I'm a total fan of Budget Mix :)

Thanks again Debra! I'm going to be sure and try to perfect the green smoothy over break. I hate taking a break to eat lunch so have been trying to have one ready for that time of day.

Everybody have a great week *~*
Sissy

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
All right, I'm still on the bandwagon :)
We've got guests staying this week, so we went to the farmer's market this morning
to pick up some local snacks.
Apple cider (4L)4.75
Apples 4.00
Pears 4.00
Honey 3.75
Milk (2L) 3.99
Easter Choc. 1.00
Potatoes 2.00

Total: 23.49

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Well I had planned on going to Costco, but the roads were so slushy we opted for Safeway,

Mayo 2.49
PB 3.00
5 dozen eggs 9.99
2 gallons Milk5.38

Splurge on Coconut creamer 3.79

total about 28.00 bucks on stuff that will be gone in 2weeks.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  09:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Five dozen eggs gone in 2 weeks? Are you kidding? Go get yourself a back yard flock sweetie! You could probably make do with 10-15 chickens.

Doug went and bought another gallon of milk and I think I am going to go buy another today. Aunt Jenny- When can I rent Mona? LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Yes 5dozen.I make alot of egg salad sandwhiches, and usually the kids eat omlettes for breakfast.

I am serisouly considering getting some chickens.That would save me a little.

I second that Alee, when can we pass Mona around,lol!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  12:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- at the ranch that I worked at the hens would lay anywhere from 6-10 eggs a day with about 10 hens, and sometimes I didn't find them all. Plus hens will eat lots of icky bugs like grasshoppers that will ruin a garden.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile
OK, here's my posting from yesterday; first grocery run of the week, and likely to be the only one (I hope).

English Muffins - 2.59
1/2 gallon Fat Free Milk - 2.29
Feta cheese - 2.69
Bush Beans - 16 oz. - 1.25 x 2 tins = 2.50
Large package slivered almonds - 3.39
6-pack small Gatorade bottles - 2.00
Heinz Ketchup - 2.00
6-pack single serve applesauce - 3.19
Distilled water - .99 x 2 jugs = 1.98
Wishbone Caeser dressing - 2.99
Canadian Bacon - 3.99
2 lb. strawberries - 2.99 (these are Ginormous)
1/2 pt. blueberries - 3.99 x 2 packs = 7.98
3 anjou pears - 2.59
bunch anise (fennel) - 2.49
icebery lettuce - 1.79
Englush cucumber - 1.62
3 nectarines - 2.49
1 red bell pepper - .90
1.63 lb summer squash - 1.99
2.03 lb. tomatoes on vine - 5.69
3 white onions - 3.23
small tin Old Bay seasoning - 3.69
TOTAL: $67.06

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile
ugh! I'm just about to head out to buy groaceries. I have gone through the rotation of favorite meals about three times and I just dont feel like trying to search for new recipes, and make a list ect ect....Im SO OVER grocery shopping! I am SO tempted to just go buy a dozen or two of those boxed meals that you justthrow in a pan. Those are so gross but I'm SICK of thinking of meals. PLUS, I'm trying to be frugal. This month has been tight with money so I can't just march into the grocery store wihtout a plan. AAARRRGGG! Anybody feelin' my frusteration??

Check out my latest projects and all the news from my chaotic little world!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile
We have 8 hens and they provide more than enough eggs for DD and I and a few left over to sell.

Last Friday was my first Costco run in a long time. Fortunately I was using a gift card I got for Christmas and my rebate check from putting gas on my AmEx card. All total I had $94.60.

We were filling in the gaps -
ground beef (3.5 lbs) was repackaged at home into 1/2 lb packages
dog food
bacon - 4 1lb packages
shrimp - 2.5 lbs
orange chicken - 5lbs
butter - 4 1lb blocks
tuna - 8 cans
olive oil - a quart (I think)
milk - 2 gallons
fem products
book "The New Earth" (cheaper than Walmart)
Our one luxury item - pound cake

I think that's it - $126.36 minus the $94.60 in gift card & rebate
That's $31.76 out of pocket. My lowest Costco run to date. And some of this will last for many months or longer. Except for the pound cake - it's almost gone - which is why I don't have sweets around very often, but it's strawberry season so we need it.

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Rebekah I FEEL your frustration. Meal planning can get a little tedious.

We figured out last night, that me making the bread is saving us 16.00 a month.Because I hate to buy the cheapy bread, I usually get the 2 for 4$ OR 5$. We can eat a little more than a half loaf a day, with kids lunches Dhs lunch, toast for snack. I have been making all of our goodies, and breads, making 1 loaf, cut into half makes 2 loafs. These loafs last us longer than a normal loaf.
Not to mention it makes me feel usefull. ; )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  11:55:34 AM  Show Profile
AAAAHHHH! I fell ya...It really gives you some sort of satisfaction that the world could not go on without you if you weren't doing the cooking and cleaning : )You guys keep me laughing!

Check out my latest projects and all the news from my chaotic little world!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Can I participate also? I am shocked at how much food prices have gone up along with the price of gas.

My budget for this month is $200 because I have a new job that I'm waiting for the paychecks to become regular again. I only have to feed myself and one small dog.

Right now I'm also trying to eat down the stuff in the freezer. Thanks to my parents I have several meatloafs and packages of ground meat. I also bought two large chickens from an FFA student who didn't make auction last month. I also have about 3 gallons of black bean soup a friend made for me in exchange for dog sitting. I guess I really do "work for food." He won't share the secret ingredient so makes the soup for me in exchange for labor.

I plan to take a $20 bill to the farmer's market every Saturday morning. If I can get there by 7:00 then I can find a great assortment of fruits and veggies that they have out in the $1 for a peck basket area. In the past I've been able to get 3-4 bell peppers, 5-6 tomatoes or cucumbers and pounds of green beans or okra for a buck a basket. I'm hoping to be able to eat better and stretch my food budget that way.

I'm headed to the grocery store on Friday and the Farmers Market on Saturday so I can post my result on Monday.

Take care and happy budgeting to you all,
Kay
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  5:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the challenge Kay! It sounds like you are making sound choices! I bet you will be able to reduce your monthly food $$ down even more with practice! It seems more expensive at first- but buying in large quantities is cheaper than buying "one person" sized servings.

Doesn't it feel great to actively see savings on such an essential as food! I just wish there was some way I could control how much I have to pay in Rent each month. Can you imagine this phone call "Well, we really didn't use the study this month- can we deduct $100 in rent?"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  5:56:09 PM  Show Profile
"Can you imagine this phone call "Well, we really didn't use the study this month- can we deduct $100 in rent?""

LOL! :)

Wish I could do that too! Umm, we really don't use the basement, so can we halve the rent??

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  07:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the laugh Alee. The timing is so appropriate as I signed another year's lease on my apartment yesterday. I want to move into a larger space but really can't justify the rent increase just because I want a work room for the sewing machine and desk. However, with the rent increase they quoted, I have the management team agreeing to come in and fix everything that is broken or worn and to clean the carpets. I guess living in the same space for 6 years and paying the rent on time does pay off.

One area that I've gotten good at controlling is the electric bill. I've been able to reduce my monthly bill by about 47% each month compared to that same month last year. I've discovered that libraries and free museum days are great ways to spend a hot Saturday afternoon using someone else's electricity.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:17:44 AM  Show Profile
This is a tad off topic too, but in any case.
I have noticed a huge change in my electricity bills this past 6-12 months by switching to CFL's as my incandescent bulbs burn out.
I got the first four CFL's for free from our electric company. I also purchased more for 87 cents a piece, due to Target's pricing error on their shelf-I was able to buy six that way. Otherwise, I only buy them when they are buy one, get one at walgreens.
I have saved on average 15-20 dollars per month since totally switching them out. So after the first few months, they paid for themselves.
I still have to post my purchases from last week, will try to do that tonight, if the kids let me use the computer tonight. LOL

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I went to a box super store last night for my weekly grocery run. Here's how I did:
Cereal-$5.76
Canned Soup-$13.90
Cocktail Sauce-$1.58
Frozen Vegetables-$7.06
Ice Cream-$3.72
Pizza Crust & Cheese-$3.64
Milk-$6.54
Water-$2.90
*Splurge* Magazine-$1.79
The bill was $46.89 minus the Coupon savings of $7.85(16.7%), so I spent $39.40 on groceries this week. That leaves me with $10.60 to hit the farmers market with for fresh produce tomorrow.

The cereal will last the rest of the month so I don't feel too bad on that cost. However, looking at what I spent for canned soup, I could redirect that cost into lunch-size containers and fresh ingredients to make my own. Thanks for helping me be accountable and recognize one area (so far) where I can cut costs.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Kay
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's wonderful Kay! I know you could make a whole pot of almost any time of soup for the price of canned soup. And if you know how to can, you could actually make homemade be just as convenient as the store bought.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  8:38:24 PM  Show Profile
I am a little late but would love to join in. Last week I spent $90.00 at the grocery store and another $11 at the farm stand. We also ate out once for a total or $23.69. My daughter attends High school and her lunches are $15 a week. So for 4 people , myself, my husband, our almost 20 year old son, and our 14 year old daughter, who can out eat some men, I spent 139.69 last week. This week I have $20 for groceries and $15 for my daughters lunch (just a bad week) so I will spend $35 this week--there will be no eating out this week. I would like to get my grocery store bill down by at least $15% the rest is kind of set.

I couldn't imagine having to spend $1000 a month on food. I hate that our food prices have gotten so out of control along with everything else.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Alright, Alee...

Went to the grocery tonight to pick up for the weeks dinners, and some lunch items. I spent $118.59, and also spent $45.00 at Mary Jane's Farm...planted my potatoes and peas today--can't wait till things start coming up so I can quit buying them!!!!

Biggest costs I found at the grocer today was bread, and bell peppers. I couldn't find bread for under $3.30--well, I could, but some would argue it would be bread--and freakin' bell peppers $2.00 a piece. WHAT? For WHAT? Color and water????

I also had to go "necessity" shopping at Target and found that since I've last purchased my husband's razor blades, they've gone up a full $5.00--now, there used to be 4 for $8.69 which I thought was outrageous, now their are 5 for $11.95....so I was pretty ticked about that, and didn't really want to pay it, but what are you going to do? Wish he'd use a straight razor!!!! I went through the 10 items or less aisle, and ended up spending $66.00 for 10 items. I noted that Target has started carrying all of the Kiss My Face, Avalon Organics, etc...lines, but they are considerably more costly than even in my grocery. The Kiss My Face body lotion I purchased at Target for $9.99 was $5.99 at Kroger.

So, we have food...but no money :)...better than nothing, I guess!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Apr 05 2008 7:48:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good Job ladies! Being aware of the prices are the first steps! Jonni- Almost $12 for razors! That's crazy! Maybe Jus needs to grow a beard! And return that Target Kiss My Face, Sister and go to Krogers!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, Jus growing a beard just isn't an option. He actually ends up looking like he's just off the boat from Cuba or Greece. He has an olive tone to his skin and his beard comes in dark--and scraggly. Combine that with a Greek Fisherman's cap, and well, you can see why I'm gonna buy the razorblades ...Although, he scoffed when I told him, too!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  06:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gals,
Have you read "The Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn?
It has tons of ideas for cutting corners. I bought my copy from Lehmans, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  06:42:39 AM  Show Profile
We are very aware of pricing. I usually shop at a couple of different stores that are all near each other. I found green bell peppers were going for almost $3.00 each!!! I had gotten them a couple of weeks ago for a 1.00 each. I can not wait to get the garden going. As a matter of fact DH and I are putting a few things on hold so that we can have a greenhouse up by the end of summer. With that we can keep tomatoes, peppers and lettuce going.

Another way to save is on non-food items. I have begun to cut up old towels to use as rags for clean up instead of papertowels. Also old newspaper is better than papertowels for cleaning windows. No streaks! REDUCE RECYCLE AND REUSE. It works for the enviroment and our pocketbooks.

small farms give big benefits

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on Apr 07 2008 06:55:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  06:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I went to the farmer's market Saturday morning and hit the strawberry jackpot. I got a flat of Texas grown strawberries for $10.95. I also got:

6 tomatoes - $1.00
6 Nectarines - $1.00
6 cucumbers - $1.00
2.5 pounds of red grapes - $1.00
5 ears of corn - $1.00
Rosemary plant $3.95
5 pounds of black beans - $4.59

I spent a total of $24.49. That puts me over budget by $13.89 for next week. However, I have enough staples in the pantry that I think I can get by with just more soymilk and fresh produce.

I plan to process the strawberries tonight by slicing and freezing them. Next weekend I want to try and buy another flat to make sugar-free jam with. My friends and co-workers end up with homemade jams and jellies at Christmas time. So even though I may exceed the food budget during the summer months, I have a lot of my Christmas presents done early in the year.

Happy Monday everyone!
Kay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2008 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page