True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

How is the grocery challenge coming? Almost time for another month! Are you excited? I actually really am! My budget got smashed to smithereens by some poor planning on my part (like leaving eggs on the counter) and over buying so I am hoping to stay on target or below this month since I still have tons of meat in the freezer. Yay!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Well - I finally made it back to my little ethnic market in the next town over. And, it sure made me see that it needs to be on my weekly route somehow because their prices are so good compared to the market near me.

Anyway, we were fine on meat and other staples like rice, beans, pasta, so this was primarily a veggie run.

garlic 3/4 lb - .58
romaine lettuce 6 pack - 1.99 (gave 2 to sis)
beets (6ea) 1.5 lbs - 1.32
red grapes (1 bunch) 2.19 lbs - 2.76
yams (6ea) 1.75lbs - 1.29
onions (4ea) .97lbs - .44 (sale price 4 lbs for $1.00)
tangerines (4ea) .33lbs - .48
cucumber (2ea) .23
asian pears (4ea) 2.21lbs - 2.06
bananas (6ea) - 1.52
jicama (1ea) - .37
Alta Dena strawberry yoghurt (32oz) - 2.89 (most yoghurt is at least $1.00 per 8oz container)
peanuts in shell (5lb) - 5.99
garlic naan - 2.49
candy bar for the shopper - .59

TOTAL: $27.03 (this would be over $50 at my local store)

Like I said their prices are so good this needs to be on my regular route. Now I just need to figure out how.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well I don't have a list for here but I do spend about $80 every 10 days or so, so that comes out to $320 a month, give or take. This is actually really good considering that includes a few party items in there (soda pop, chips, speciality cheese and a yummy dip and I threw in a Country living magazine, because it was so my style this month).

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile
How did April go everyone?
I know I fell behind with posting my receipts, but I did keep them! And when I finally tallied everything up it came to: 178$ for me and the fella for the month. Which isn't too bad.
I was hoping to get it down to 150$. I think that will be my goal for May.

Things that will help me get there this month:
My chickens are laying - no buying eggs!
I've got my cheese cultures in the freezer, so I can make some cheeses now.
Local farmer's market is open this week
The garden is starting to produce. (Rhubarb and wild green onions..)
Taking Alee's advice and buying a lot of meat from the butcher at a time. I did that at the end of the month and it worked great!

What have you learned from tracking your groceries last month? What can we do to improve?

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi all --

April was a bit all over the place for me but by the last 2 weeks I felt pretty good. The last two weeks I averaged around $70.00 per week for a family of 5. This is with a 6'3 235lb teenager and friends! So not bad.
Our chicks are laying eggs
lettuce, onions and spinach are in so this helps.
The other BIGGIE for us is cooking somethings in advance. So i made a few casseroles to grab out of the freezer on fast nights. Also I made snack items for my son and his friends to grab and drinks for them. We don't do soda so that helps. I make up lemonade and strawberry water.
I hope to drop the bill some more in the near future.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Wow! Am I lucky to find this post! I was just planning my menu and list today. I have been thinking for sometime I needed to shop differently. We spend about $200 every 2 weeks $400 a month. But I know I can lower this. I bought Budget Mix this month and am going to make our local Farmer's Market a stop on my shopping route. They are a small market so it is hit and miss. I am determined to skip as many middle isles this month as I can and stick to simplicity, organic and thrifty. My first shopping day of the month is this Friday...wish me luck and wisdom! I will let you know how I do!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  3:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Since we are moving we are not really focusing on keeping our food stocks "up" so I am finding creative ways to use up the food we have on hand. Some of the canned stuff was bought and I am having a hard time remembering to eat the cans of soup and such. But it looks like we should be able to get away with not buying too much more food before we leave- maybe another $150 worth if that.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  4:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Well I did my grocery shoppping. I didn't really spend less than normal but the quality of food I bought improved greatly. I off-set the cost of quanity by buying quality..more organic that is expensive here. But, I have to say I bought quality staples and plan to prepare more from scratch. I did skip the middle isles and I am very proud of myself for that! The true test will be the next grocery day since I stocked up on stapels this time I should spend alot less in the next two weeks.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  4:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Jessica! Avoiding the center aisles really is key! I have found myself spending SOO much less since I have done that. And everything tastes so much better when I make it at home. We also invest in buying bulk from places like Costco for things we use a lot of or things that won't spoil- like toilet paper. I got 16 ounces of pure vanilla extract for about $12 and just barely used the last of it today. It lasted me about a year and a half.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Yeah, I always hear about Costco...we don't have that in Texas! It sounds like a wonderful place! (:

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jessica- you don't have a Costco? Where is Miles in Texas??

I stuck to my list this week and kept my bill below $60 this time. Usually I spend around $75, so I am doing good.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  8:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jessica!

Here is a list of Costco location in Texas!
http://www.priceviewer.com/costco_locations/Texas.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  8:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't gone grocery shopping yet this month, so I am hoping to keep my budget of $150 a month :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I forgot about this thread I went shopping today and spent 187.90 I am going to unload, then let you all know what I got!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So...was that a good trip or a bad trip for you, Manda?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
OK Thanks Alee I see I was wrong there ARE a few Costco in Texas! However, I am in a very small rural community outside of San Angelo and they are all in the big cities like Austin, Dallas and Houston...about a 5 hr drive for me! My mother-in-law lives outside of Austin I might have to go check one out when I visit her! Sounds like I might be like a child in a candy store when I get there! HA!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
It was a good trip Alee. I got enough meat to last us 15 dinners(actually more with leftovers). 5 packs of meat for lunch,(i know eww)56.00 on meat, 4 bags of chips,sugar,rice,beans,bananas,apples,lemons,asparagus,lettuce,carrots,a thing of muffins,4 cookies rolls.Organic Oreos,BBQ sauce4. 2Gal of milk,cheese 2 orange juices,whip cream.Canned fruit and noodles. ALOT of stuff so my total for this trip was 187.17, this should last us atleast 2 weeks,I will need to buy eggs, but i will get those from a friend. PLUS I got 2 free movie tickets,and 30cents off Fuel Discount!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  09:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey there - I am new to this topic (actually new to the forum), but it is one that is close to my heart. We live 30 miles from where we work and so end up spending @$250 per week on gas (makes me sick to my stomach). That will change as soon as I make the last payment on our gas guzzling truck. Anyway, it has meant that I have had to get very creative with the grocery money. At the same time I have worked in the organic food field for years and I feel strongly about making my money count. I have found that we cannot afford organic milk but buying at Costco helps - they sell rBGH free milk etc. so I buy all my dairy products there. I am a serious cheapskate - the checker at Costco last week was amazed at the number of items I got for such a low price. Anyhow the other thing that really can save money is to buy your herbs and spices in bulk. In our area there is an organic grocery store where you can do that and the Fred Meyers (owned by Kroger) have that option too. I used to run the bulk section at the organic store and I ran out of paprika at home on easter and didn't want to go to work to get it so I went to the store closest to my house. $4.49 for something that would have cost about forty cents in bulk, plus you save packaging!!
Anyway, thanks for letting me put in my two cents
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy-

That's a great point! Any time you can buy bulk either from a place like Costco or even some grocery stores had bulk sections, you save lots of money and packaging. I love perusing the bulk section in Winco. They often have everything I need from flour to spices.

I spent $45 at the store the other day to supplement our food stash. Cheese, lunch meat, fresh veggies, milk, cereal, cookies. I bought a ton of salad making things and have been eating huge salads multiple times a day. I have decided that everytime I am hungry between meals I need to eat a salad. Very few calories, lots of fiber and vitamins. So far it is working and is keeping me very full. I can't wait till summer is in full swing and the tomato plants start producing...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Definitely waiting for garden harvest here too!! We are rototilling today, I know it's late but you know how the weather has been, and I can't wait to get my stuff in. There is nothing better than a big chopped salad with everything from your own garden...nothing except fresh homegrown tomatoes anyway. I just reread Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for some inspiration on stocking up and eating out of the pantry. This fall we are going to find someone local to buy meat from and buy in bulk. That should help the budget. It seems like if I just stop in the grocery store to get one ingredient I end up spending at least $15. Sigh....Oh well, working on it
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  06:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
Have you read the Tightwad Gazette? It's one of my favorite books!
I've been tired of ending up each month having to watch (with fear) or dwindling bank account. I've been wanting to just take cash out of the bank each week for expenditures. I'm hoping that this will help me to conserve the cash, and I'll know EXACTLY how much I have left to spend. I took the plunge on Friday. So Far, so good!

Farmgirl
sisterhood #167
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  06:19:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm with ya, Pennie. The Tightwad Gazette is where it's at!

I've been able to stretch out our food supply to where it lasts almost twice as long--by actually eating the leftovers I put in the fridge!! ;)

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Good job Molly. I'm always finding "forgotten goodies" in our freezers, too.

Farmgirl
sisterhood #167
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  7:52:09 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of the Tightwad Gazette and will definitely check it out. We just bought a bread machine, it is shipping right now, and I think that will help us save a lot of money. My mother-in-law is paying half and I will make bread for her but we can make bread, buns, rolls, cinnamon rolls and pizza crust from scratch this way. I can stop buying snack food because my 15 year old son is perfectly happy eating whole wheat bread for snacks. Yay!!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  06:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Good, Good Amy! Did you know that most thirft shops have a constant supply of bread machines? I usually pick mine up for $10- $15 each!.

Farmgirl
sisterhood #167
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2008 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page