Page: of 3

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  6:31:09 PM  Show Profile
I've been really trying lately but it's so hard when I don't have the money. I'm just starting out with all this and I wouldn't even have a clue what to look for buying produce. I am doing A LOT better about buying processed foods like crackers, cookies and other snacks but still buy mac & cheese. It's quick,cheap and my kids LOVE it, wonderful for soccer and gymnastics nights. I must say though, the organic stuff I have bought like the yogurt, milk, sour cream is WONDERFUL!!! I can't believe there is so much difference in taste. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I think he's crazy if he can't tell the difference. Please oh wise ones, where do I look to see where the produce is from, I'm taking baby steps here but I don't even know where to start. I was at gymnastics for my daughter this week and was talking to a lady who just told me that she was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer....so hearing that makes me want to avoid all these pesticides and hormones even more.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  9:53:16 PM  Show Profile
You can really tell the difference in taste with organic stuff. It actually tastes like food! I bought some organic cream cheese to have with crackers and it is amazing.

When we went to the food coop I was amazed that some of the prices were the same or cheaper for organic than I pay for non-organic. I got organic fair-trade coffee for $7.99 a lb and have paid $8.99 and up for non-organic coffee. I know that still sounds like a lot to spend on coffee but I only have one cup a day. And it is my morning luxury which I will not scrimp on!

I'm not totally organic yet but working my way there. I started with dairy products, coffee, eggs, cheese. I now have organic fruit and veggies. The meat is the most expensive but I will get there eventually. I'm hoping to be able to find an organic source for meat so that I can buy a half or quarter to put in the freezer.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile
I think that produce must be labeled by country of origin now. It may only be the places I shop, but the little stickers on the fruit and the ties around the heads of lettuce all say where the stuff comes from.

I think a CSA is such a great way to eat local, organic, in season, and fresh. It's such a different way to think about food: instead of saying "what should we have for dinner?" and buying that, you say, "Well, the farm brought us carrots and beets. What can we make with that?"

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks...I'll have to look more closely at the labels when I go this weekend. I still wish it weren't so expensive, I know you get what you pay for but food is so expensive anyways. If everyone would think like us wouldn't that make it much easier and cheaper??? What's wrong with people?
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been trying to lose 10-20 lbs. for the last 6 months. I have neither the time nor patience for diets, per se, including going somewhere & paying someone for "their" plan & foods. I also have a problem with my thyroid, having been taking replacement hormone for about 10 yrs. now. Recently had to switch health insurance & returned to a previous MD, who is concerned that my metabolism is not working properly (have to have some serious bloodwork done in 4 wks.). In the meantime I have lost 4 lbs. - not much, but I have kept it off. How? Well, I always preferred veggies, grains, etc. to meat. Also eat fish, eggs. I was always on the thin side, but after marriage, thyroid problems and/or menopause my body has definitely changed. So - now I am back to my previous eating habits, including mostly veggies, little or no meat, fish (not farm raised), organic eggs (i.e. organic from the grocery and/or directly from a farmer). I try not to snack between meals, and keep my portions small. I have found that "diet advice" is very subjective - i.e. you need to know what works for you. What should work for everyone is smaller portions, but this isn't even true - it depends also on what you are eating. I think of food as fuel for my body, a drug, etc. I'd much rather pay for better food now than for health care later in life.
Specifics: I find that if I eat cereal for breakfast (even good old plain oatmeal), I am hungry 2 hrs. later, so then I would have to eat some protein - cottage cheese, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich with whole grain bread, etc. If I eat an egg (that's 1 small egg), whole grain toast or a roll, plus a small serving of fruit for breakfast, I don't need anything until lunchtime. Lunch - sardines, tuna, egg, etc. even a large serving of steamed veggies or soybeans with a bit of soy sauce, I don't need a large dinner. Dinner - sometimes meat, little beef (sometimes buffalo meat), mostly fish, pasta, chicken with lots of veggies, a salad, maybe some whole grains or homemade soup. If I brush my teeth after dinner it helps me not to snack later. Sorry this is so long - but I just want everyone to know you can lose weight if you have a plan which works for you. You don't need a lot of money - spend what you would for weight watchers, etc. and buy the best quality food you can afford. Stay away from over processed foods, salty canned soups, etc. No white food (unless it's an egg), whole grains not just whole wheat flour (try barley for breakfast, or kasha - buckwheat, etc.) Remember to watch portions size - I think that is most important too.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  6:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Some good advice Cecelia. I can't stand fish at all but I could try some of your other tips and see if they work for me. A lot of my problem is (about weight anyways) that I LOVE to bake but I only know how to bake with white flour. I've never been able to get the wheat flour to work for me. Guess I should try harder but right now I'm focusing on my grocery shopping problems. I spend SOOOOO much money at the store and it leaves us broke. I really need to buy basic stuff (trying to buy organic where I can) and be creative on dinners I can make with that. I'm a recipe cook not a creative cook so I'm always seeing recipes that look good so back to the store I go.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia,
I too have a slow thyroid. I am currently using the natural thyroid med and will go in for blood tests again soon. My concern is rapid weight gain no matter what I eat and I still feel icky. Doc thinks I may need to tweek my med. I've been on the same synthetic one for 4-5 yrs now.

I try to stay away from a lot of soy as breast cancer runs in my family.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Well not so long ago, I thought, "What's with all the Organic Stuff". How dumb I was, I didn't realize how important it was. I own a nursery and we started carrying "Down to Earth" products, they are organic and my first thought was well our Organic customers will really like this (They've been asking for Organic potting soil). Then one day the company sent us some information for our customers and it talked about time-release fertilizers versus organic fertilizers and I realized what the non-organic stuff does to our soil, our earth. And that's when it all started to come together.

I now try to use organic everything at the nursery. I am slowly switching our groceries to organic. I started with milk, and meat. Our local store just started carrying Organic Valley dairy products and I am hooked. It taste just like my grandmothers milk did when I was a kid. Last week our store started carrying organic beef and it's the same price as the other stuff just a more limited selection. This is great! Especially since our town has a population of about 1200.

So my suggestion is to keep looking for it. I found a green beef grower on the Internet about 3 hours away that sell ¼, ½, and whole organic beef. So I know if you keep looking you will find it and in many cases it’s be cheaper.

As far as the mac and cheese goes I understand. I have been there. But could you create the whole meal yourself using better products. Try buying the macaroni, and then come up with an alternative cheese type sauce. Just a thought, maybe if you experiment you could come up with a fast, delicious alternative.

Good luck to everyone trying to live a healthier lifestyle!

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  8:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Annie's makes an organic boxed mac and cheese that is really good. Here it is $1.09 per box.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  11:15:35 AM  Show Profile
I've seen Annie's products in my store so I'll have to give it a try. I've tried making the mac&cheese before and I think it was the most disgusting thing I've ever had, I have no idea what went wrong but no one would eat it so I've never searched for another recipe. I'll look into Annie's though
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  1:05:11 PM  Show Profile
My Mom makes homemade mac and cheese and it’s to die for. She would cook the noodles, drain and toss in to a 9x11, then make a white sauce (butter, flour, milk), then stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Mix in with the noodles, level the noodle combination out in the pan. Then cover in cheese, it’s great. (but not a fast alternative to the instant) The Annies sounds good for a meal on the go fast meal on the go.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  1:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I spotted Annies at our salvage grocery store and picked up a box for only 65 cents, they had so many varities, I can't wait to try it!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

karisue
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kari
Meridian Idaho
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried organic bananas? They are a lot smaller than non-organic so they are perfect for kids, and I notice a small difference in taste. I've heard strawberries and tomatoes and grapes top the list for sprayed food, so I try to get those organic. Nancy's yogurt is fabulous, I love the whole milk honey yogury. My husband thinks I'm nuts for skimming of and eating the foamy top first, it's just like my grandma use to make at home. If I had to choose one item to buy organic it would be milk, hands down. I get coupons from www.stoneyfieldfarm.com like someone mentioned before.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile
You're post sent me to thinking Kari...if I could only buy one grocery item organic, which would it be.
Meat & Dairy - antibiotics, hormones, synthetically fertilized pastures
Eggs - antibiotics, anti-parasitics, cheap feed contains feather meal
Produce - pesticides, herbicides, GE, fungicides, synthetic fertilizers
Grains - GE, synthetic fertilizers, fumigants, herbicides, pesticides

Somebody please tell me I'm just being ridiculous and overly paranoid.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

karisue
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kari
Meridian Idaho
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  2:50:11 PM  Show Profile
My mom and I were talking about how hard it is to eat all organic foods, and if we pass up eating healthy foods because they aren't organic. So which is worse, eating limited organic foods or eating a variety of non-organic foods? Do we get our daily requirement of fruits, veggies, and grains from non-organic foods or eat half of what our bodies need from organic foods because that's all we can get/afford? It's a hard balance to acheive.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Even with 14% of you all eating more organic foods than one year ago. Nearly 7 out of 10 of you all we have surveyed from our local organic coop say they don't eat organic because of the price.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  2:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Costs are getting closer to each other. Wheat farmers are making choices now. The price of crude oil is going up again. It's used in fertilizer so fertilizer is more expensive. Oil soaked twine, diesel, regular gas - it's going to put a lot of farmers out of business. Then there's the cost of shipping food the average 1300-1500 miles from the field to the dinner table whether it's organic or not. It's discouraging.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Well my stupidity over the past years is catching up with me. If you read my earlier posts you would see I just started going organic just a couple months ago. I am slowing getting our lives changed to a healthier lifestyle and my daughter (15) & husband are dragging their feet at the idea. Today we were discussion names for our farm, when I explained to her what ever we pick out; the last two words in the name will be “Organic Farm”. She got testy and said why organic? So I decided she wants to know “Why?”, well then I will make this her assignment for the week. I am having her research growing organic how it benefits the earth, our food and our bodies. So wish me luck, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  04:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, here are some links that should be helpful. Some are dry reading but others are very interesting.

http://fourseasonfarm.com/main/articles/articles/mother1.html
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Organic_Food_Is_More.html
http://www.ota.com/organic/benefits/nutrition.html
http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-20-908,00.html

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  05:59:43 AM  Show Profile
I read an article in Country Living where a woman bought the same groceries, organic and non-organic and the price difference was only $50.00 more for the month. That made me start buying more organic. I love organic bananas. Mostly because they are smaller.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  04:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Diane, you have every reason to be cautious and concerned! Baby steps and lots of research.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  04:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Why is it eating organic foods gives me really bad gas? This includes MJF foods. I really enjoy these foods, but the flatulence can be a problem. Has anyone else noticed this?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  12:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Now since this thread, I'm keeping a better eye out of organics in my local stores, just noticed today that Walmart now carries Annies right next to Kraft mac and cheese, so finally a option. Meadowlark, this is just a thought, but maybe your body is suspose to act that way after eating the REAL stuff, and maybe the non organics have a chemical that stops the body from a natural process? I saw a show on Oprah a month or so ago, with a Dr. Oz I think, he said we should be passing gas like 15 times a day! He has a book out called, "You, the owners manuals" that I have to get soon, the show really was really interesting and made a whole lot of sense. Just my thoughts....

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  11:41:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by junebug

Now since this thread, I'm keeping a better eye out of organics in my local stores, just noticed today that Walmart now carries Annies right next to Kraft mac and cheese, so finally a option.

WOW really??? I haven't been going there lately because they don't have a selection of organic stuff...the only thing I can find at ours is cream cheese and Horizon milk and just a few (and I mean very few) vegetables...that's it. Maybe more people will begin to realize how good it is for us.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark!!

I read your post about chili and now about organic foods. Did you know that you can pretty much get rid of the gas problem and bloating too by adding a pinch to a teaspoon (depending on the size of the dish you are cooking) of powdered ginger to the offending foods?

My mother has always done this, especially with chili, cauliflower, and cabbage. I didn't know this until after I left home and I was suddenly having problems with these foods. I had never had gas to speak of before that. Well, Mom wasn't there cooking the food and when I mentioned the problem to her, she told me her secret.

It will not change the taste of your dish. I happen to be eating a Black Bean Chili today which has ginger in it. I could smell it for a second but could not taste it at all.

Maybe this will help....

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Organic?? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page