Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Costs of Fuel & Fertilizer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Costs of Fuel & Fertilizer Next Topic  

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  4:15:37 PM  Show Profile
http://www.union-bulletin.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=28443

http://farmweek.ilfb.org/viewdocument.asp?did=8379&drvid=105&r=0.81831&r=0.6571924&r=0.7403986

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  3:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Robin!
In the organic thread you mentioned organics getting closer to conventional marketed goods.Do you read grist.org? Since this was on cost of organics I brought it out here.

Cost in Translation
Seriously, now -- why aren't organics getting affordable?
http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2005/08/25/harrison-organics/index.html
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Good article! I know one thing - when organic food comes under a national label, especially if it's something like Kraft or General Mills - I'm outta there! I just do not trust a large food company or agri-business to not cut corners and fake their organic stuff. I think the best thing we can do is find a local farm or two or three and buy from them. Then we can be sure the cows are really outside all the time, eating grass like nature intended, and the chickens are out wandering all over the yard. This will probably always cost more - but so much healthier and safer!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  08:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Ellen. I didn't read Grist, but I do now.

I'd like to see subsidies to farms that can't support themselves cut back drastically unless they make major accomplishments in becoming self-supporting and sustainable. Let's pour this money into fixing what isn't working and making these farmers sustainable. There has to be a lot more pride in doing what works than taking government hand outs because your farm isn't sustainable. So many farmers don't know how to farm any other way because their methods have been handed down through the generations. I read something this morning that left me thinking, "Wow, they think this is a good thing - but it's terrible." They really don't know what they were writing was about something harmful. I'm not against subsidies - as long as they're used to correct all the damage done and get farmers off this welfare.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Costs of Fuel & Fertilizer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page