Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirl overalls Next Topic
Page: of 4

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  1:22:35 PM  Show Profile
I have numerous different pairs of overalls including Carharts, Liberty's, hickory stripes. I even have two pair of Looney Toons: one featuring Marving the Martian and the other with Tweety.

I do wear them to the store. I like to put a tee shirt or blouse underneath and then top the outfit off with a beaded or colorful cardigan sweater. Very stylish!!!

My favorites are also the ones made so briefly by L. L. Bean. They were great for petites.

I've though about sewing my own bu GEEEEZZZ they have something like 57 separate pieces. I can already envision going through a whole pack of sewing machine needles before I have one pair done.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  4:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Lucinda wrote: My favorites are also the ones made so briefly by L. L. Bean. They were great for petites.

Me too...so sad. I complained and complained...but they wouldnt bring them back. They are my "uniform"...I love their jeans too. I have on a pair of the Adirondack's (new) and love them. Roomy seat! A must!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Susan, thanks for the info on the Adirondaks! I was thinking about ordering them and now I will! I can use the room in the seat! hehehe Does the size run pretty true, or would you advise to order up/down? I missed the boat on the LL overalls. I called and begged too. No luck, so I just had to covet my neighbor's overalls!
Maybe we should send them an onslaught of inquiries and convince them that they should make them again.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile
I found another pair of 'alls at a garage sale last Sat! They are tan and made of a light fabric...but good to throw on while it still is warm outside~~I wore them to do some plant transferring and they got really dirty..I washed them as soon as I took them off~~and all the dirt came out! Not bad for $1.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi;
I am sitting in my bibs writing this they are so comfy, my Aunt Hilda years and years ago when ladies didn't wear pants had her own pair and her own tools like hammer and folding ruler to go in the pockets. She was a hoot, climbed up on the roof with the men and hammered roof shingles on with the best of them then cooked supper and got ready for Sunday Church meeting in her lace and pokadot dress. Great Gal. I am getting a pair of coveralls for winter too.

Yes they make insulated coveralls and they are warm the people with the skidoos wear 'em scoot'n over the snow up north.

Kay

My blog;
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kay to the forum! I love your story about your Aunt Hilda! She sounds like a true blue farmgirl! So glad you are joining in on our discussions! Jenny from Kansas

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't own a pair of overalls .. but when we lived in Evergreen, Colorado .. i had a pair that i eventually cut the knees out of and wore them as 'shorts' overalls .. they became my 'uniform'.

I would like a pair or two again .. and don't mind paying a lot of money if they are very durable (and yes .. CUTE!) i don't want 'designer' overalls .. just really good quality like would be sold at Lands End or Eddie Bauer .. do they even sell them? I'll have to go check on-line. Any one have any other sources?

I find that now, i tend to live in ankle-length blue jean skirts and shirts .. and would like to add some 'britches' to my wardrobe. (gotta' have my 'gypsy' clothes for dress-up though!)
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  1:31:25 PM  Show Profile
I just had a thought....what about farmgirl 'alls with a built in apron? Call them..."Built In Alls" The alls could be dressy with a dressy retro print half apron attached...utilitarian with a canvas or duck fabric apron with a big pocket and party/glam alls with a sequin tulle sparkle half apron? What do ya think girls? Would this idea fly?

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile
OH Meadowlark,
What fun that would be. As it is I spend a lot of time in my kitchen in my overalls with an apron on!!! Had to sew the fly front closed on the new Pointer brand Ones I got because the doornob on the cupboard kept grabbing me by the fly!!! Ha Ha. The Apron also solved this problem but just getting a drink of water was a challenge.
Tee Hee.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Oct 20 2005 2:54:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, You crack me up! I have problems with the little tag thingy on the hip that is supposed to hold a hammer catching on the nobs and corners of cabinet doors.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  6:51:36 PM  Show Profile
I want a pair!!!!!!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  7:14:16 PM  Show Profile
I have walked fast past a cabinet or fence, or whatever and been jerked back because of that hammer loop!!! I always sew closed the fly on my overalls that don't zip..and most don't.I have done the same thing!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie -- try www.pointerbrand.com . Their alls are mad in the USA in Tennessee. I haven't ordered from them but plan to if I can get some big enough to go over my fat fanny!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Glad to know I am not the only one to get grabbed by the "Alls"
Eileen
There may still be time to get in on the pointer brand sale. Back at the beginning of this topic there is a link directly to the low back sale. Cant beat 10.95 for a great pair of Alls even ifn ya do hafta sew up the fly thingy!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  5:24:41 PM  Show Profile
In our home we call the "hammer loop" a "come 'er". You grab on to it and say to the wearer, "come 'er". I like the installed apron idea, Meadowlark!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  06:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
OHHH...I would love to wear overalls (I lived in them as a young girl), but they are always capris on me due to my height! This is fine in the summer...but in the winter I would like to cover all of my legs! I'm 6'1"...and men's overalls usually are huge on me (about 180 lbs)! Any suggestions on what would fit me!

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Christine,
Look at the pointer brand on line catalogue. They sell theirs by the length and waist sizes so you could get just what you need. I have the same problem with most other brands. If they fit in the waist they are too long in the crotch. These pointer brand ones I got fit like they should fit. Like a new pair of comfortable pants would fit.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

phillytoo
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Phyllis
Canton MI
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  5:51:40 PM  Show Profile

Susan

[/quote]

I know this is "off topic" but I just had to comment on your website, Susan. I just visited it and am really impressed at how nice the website is arranged and the products look. I'm gonna have to place an order just to try some of those enticing scents.

Your one daughter looks just like you too.

OK--back to topic (sort of)... do your girls like to wear overalls too?
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  3:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Christine, I'm 5'2'' and everything hangs on the floor on me. How about if the part I have to cut off the pants, I'll send to you to sew on the bottom of yours!! Two problems solved! Jan
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  10:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Jan,
Done deal!
And wouldn't I look so farmgirlish with overalls with different shades of denim/material! I love it! (That's one of the things I love about the country....don't have to worry about what they neighbors think about your clothing style!)
Christine

Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  10:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Eileen,
THANK YOU so much for the Pointer Brand catalogue! I love it. I'm ordering a pair! What a treasure!

Christine

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  12:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I know this is "off topic" but I just had to comment on your website, Susan. I just visited it and am really impressed at how nice the website is arranged and the products look. I'm gonna have to place an order just to try some of those enticing scents.

Your one daughter looks just like you too.

OK--back to topic (sort of)... do your girls like to wear overalls too?

Thank you - sorry it's taken me so long to respond...I am a busy bee!!! in my overalls! My girls dont wear overalls but my sweet husband does. We always have!

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  7:22:53 PM  Show Profile
You are all going to think this is nuts, but I have several pairs and my favorites are Calvin Klien.. I know weird huh? they are comfortable and have survived 2 years of me on my knees in the garden and crawling across carpet after toddlers, and not a thin patch in the knees yet... the adjustable dealies have a huge range so I could wear them through both of my pregnancies too.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  12:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I just read over all (no pun intended!) this overall talk and I'm so excited! I don't have any and really need to get me a pair! Sadly, the link no longer works for the discounted pointer brand ones. I'm definitely checking at the thrift stores! And I saw some full price at Old Navy not too long ago, so I'll have to check back there on the rack with my favorite word...CLEARANCE!
Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
well im big boned and tall so i find mine at CATO

May you be surrounded by the things of olde that make you feel like a treasure!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirl overalls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page