Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  08:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Check out this amazing description written by a farm wife in the 1900's: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/farmwife.htm . It's just incredible...

XOXO, Libbie

EDIT: I took the "." out of the link - thanks for pointing that out!!!

Edited by - Libbie on Nov 20 2007 8:32:57 PM

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  11:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Libbie! What a cold dose of reality that was! What a difference a century makes! Just reading a book was a stolen luxury. And she didn't even want to get married in the first place. I feel humble in the face of the facts of her life. And I think it's remarkable that she didn't let her circumstances bury her spirit - she still took the time to gather fresh flowers and put them in her hair! I salute her! Thanks for that link.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Nov 19 2007 11:21:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  11:22:09 AM  Show Profile
Libbie... incredible indeed. She doesn't need a husband, does she?! But it's a sad, lonely story. I hope her children grew up to love and respect her.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Wow is right! I'm tired just reading about all she accomplished in a single day in May of 1900, and to think she gets up the next day and does it all again.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  7:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Here is a corrected link http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/farmwife.htm
the one above has a period in it which makes it go nowhere!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  7:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How interesting to see what her days were like. It would be very interesting to read one from the same time period of a woman who considers herself "practical".

Doesn't that entry make you so glad that we women of today have the right to choose the paths our lives take? It makes me appreciate my right to vote and work outside the home if I so choose!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I love reading about our "pioneering" farm women from generations ago. My daughter and I have watched "Frontier House" about fifty times. We finally bought our own copy to watch because I was worried we'd wear out the library's tapes. (Yes, I am a geek)
I have read anything related to the "Little House" books and Laura Ingalls Wilder about twenty times. I have also read everything the library near where I work has too.
I never get bored reading about their lives. I however, would probably grow tired of the hard life and no options.
Indoor plumbing and heat would win out in a hurry.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  9:17:45 PM  Show Profile
I really like her opinions about marriage. It just proves that the little quirks that ALL couples have is soooo normal! I would love to meet her today! I would love to see her chasing the cows! And twice a day fresh flowers! It's nice that although she didn't want to be married that she knew he loved her and just dealt with the circumstances.
Fun stuff!
Cristine
PS. Next summer when it's really hot, we should challenge ourselves to rise early work hard and get that much stuff done! Could you imagine what we would acomplish in one day?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  11:36:15 PM  Show Profile
I loved reading this!!
Kate..I loved frontier house too and really need to buy a copy. Katiedid has the book too..I borrowed it for months and finally returned it. Have you seen the book??? Very good!!
Boy I only wish I could get that much done so early...but heck..here I am after midnight and still up...

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  04:35:46 AM  Show Profile
What an interesting website! I could not get your specific page to open (said it was expired), but then I went to the home page, and bookmarked it. That is a site I will visit again.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  05:40:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

What an interesting website! I could not get your specific page to open (said it was expired), but then I went to the home page, and bookmarked it. That is a site I will visit again.

Psalm 51: 10-13

This link worked for me. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/farmwife.htm

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  06:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Pioneer Women were just amazing as women of today are. My husband grew up on his grandparents farm in Monroe Wa. My daughter is doing the family history and she has his grandmother's death certificate and her cause of death says 'exhaustion' and this is a 20th century farmwife. Life was hard in her time too. I think she died in the 1940's and not real old either, just worn out. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Aunt Jenny, I have read the book too.

Loved it almost as much as the dvd.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  07:31:47 AM  Show Profile
There is an episode of Dinner:Impossible where he had to cook the entire meal in a colonial home, in a hearth, with period tools. They were at one of those period towns. It was very interesting to watch someone so dependent on modern convienence use a whisk made of pine needles.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Loved the article. It just goes to show that some things never change - unless we change them like women did during The Womans Suffrage movement. Check out this web site for info on that - http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/suffrage/.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow that was really great to read. Being a farmer's wife I can relate, especially about the not really wanting to be one in the first place. I'm thankful for running water the most. We have a pasture with no water too, but I can use my truck to haul water. I never thought about that inconveniece in the pioneer days.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Unreal! I can't believe she didn't drop to the floor before 9:00! God Bless Farmgirls!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
Farmgirl Sister #43
Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this, Anne! It makes me appreciate the 'easy' life I have. Yes, we work hard, we tend the animals and we hoe the garden, but we still have it so much better than she did! I enjoyed reading it.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmwifery in the 1900's Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page