Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 533

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2024 :  7:08:25 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

"I installed a grab bar for the shower. This will help us get in and out safely.

It was good."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2024 :  5:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (Tchr66, #8042) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

"The process I used in order to earn this badge again involved enlisting the help of my fifth grade students. We worked to remove litter from public places whenever we could, including around our school and when we went on field trips. Students filled boxes with plastic bottles.

The students took turns taking the boxes to my truck for me to deliver. I hope this helped them to realize they can be influential in their own homes to encourage recycling there.

When the end of the school year came, as the students cleaned out their lockers, they encouraged each other to be sure to recycle their plastic bottles and paper in the boxes and to bring things like binders, folders, markers, and other school supplies they did not want - but that were still usable - to be put in the cabinet for next year when they or someone else might need them."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2024 :  5:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

"Went to a nearby island and had a great meditative time. While I was there I cooked, read a book, took pictures and enjoyed the outdoors

It was nice to get back into nature."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2024 :  4:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

"All of our cars are older so there are always plenty of fixes needed throughout the year. For this badge I:

1. Defogged my headlights. I did the baking soda method first and it helped a bit, but then I got one of those kits from O’Reilly's that had the buffing pads that go on the end of the drill to finish the job.

2. Replaced a dead battery in my husband's truck and used the opportunity to demonstrate to my middle daughter how to remove it, what to do at the parts store and how to put it back in.

3. Checked the spark plugs on my car to ensure the gaps were good and they didn’t need replacing. I also replaced the spark plug on my push trimmer.

4. Changed the bulbs in the back up lights on my car and my eldest's. I’ve also shown my eldest over the last five years how to replace her battery, change her tire, and had her watch me change the bulbs.

5. Replaced the wipers on my husband's truck and my car.

As a kid my dad had me help him with truck repairs on the farm and we did all our own maintenance and repairs on our vehicles. So through that I’ve had to replace brake pads and bleed the brake lines (one of my least favorite things to do), and other basics. When I was little my dad would have me crawl inside the engine of the Big Mac truck we used to haul grains and such. He would describe to me what to do. I was four and five but could fit where my 6’3” father could not.

In high school I worked as a car mechanic doing mostly oil changes but they did also have me replace alternators, balance tires, and few other basic things. I also babysat for a guy who was a hobby stock racer and he would teach me how to do repairs on his race car. My first day he had me tear down an engine and clean it because he blew a piston rod through the oil pan during his last race. I had to get all the metal fragments cleaned and get it prepped to reassemble.

These days I’m too busy with other things so I use a local shop for big repairs and I handle the little stuff.

I always try to use these events as teaching moments for my girls but they’re teenagers and are clearly miffed and disinterested the entire time. My eldest as a result has lots of car trouble, but I cut her slack because she has autism and ADHD so it is difficult for her to remember things. Middle child is in drivers ed so we will see if she starts taking it seriously. I doubt it at least not until she finds herself stranded, then maybe she will want to learn!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2024 :  5:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn (rubyleesmom, #8656) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Herbs Merit Badge!

"To earn this merit badge I researched five herbs and their possible uses. The herbs I researched were: Basil, peppermint, rosemary, thyme and chives. I found that they all are great for flavoring foods, but are useful in other ways as well. Basil is most commonly used in fresh recipes and also has insect repellent properties. Chives add a mild onion flavor to dishes and is another useful herb in repelling insects. Rosemary is very versatile and can be used as a decorative plant in gardens, to fragrance soaps and perfumes and is useful in shampoos and cleaning products in addition to complementing many dishes. Peppermint doubles as an aid in digestion and a decongestant and can have a cooling effect when used topically. It also helps with headaches. Lastly, thyme contains chemicals that may help bacterial and fungal infections as well as helping to relieve coughing and has antioxidant effects. I often use fresh rosemary in cooking and making simmer pots to make my home smell great!

I learned a lot about herbs and it has inspired me to start an herb garden and I plan to try to use more fresh herbs in my cooking."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2024 :  5:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn (rubyleesmom, #8656) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Herbs Merit Badge!

"I started an herb garden and planted rosemary, chives and German thyme. I use them often in my meals.

Unfortunately the thyme did not survive but my husband loves having fresh chives for his salads and we use the rosemary and thyme in potato gnocchi soup and other dishes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2024 :  5:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Colina Washburn (rubyleesmom, #8656) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

"To earn this badge, I decided to start my own chicken flock! I purchased 4 Rhode Island Red chicks from our local feed store. They are very young yet so I am just feeding them chick starter at this time, but I plan to start introducing fresh fruits and veggies to them as they begin to grow. I also became a patron of a coworker that raises and sells farm fresh eggs.

The chicks are doing well right now and my family loves the taste of the farm fresh eggs! The opportunity to spend quiet time and bond with the chicks is also proving to be helpful for my daughter with her anxiety!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2024 :  5:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Jill Yelland-DeMooy (#6748) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

"I have had a library card since I was a small child. Every Saturday, my parents would take us to the library to choose books. I take out physical books, e-books, audiobooks, dvd's, wonderful pre-school kits with toys and books for my grandson and have taken a few classes over the years. I was asked to participate in an focus group on what our branch needed to increase its number of users as I am such a frequent user. I posted the picture of my TBR pile in the Bibliophile chat room.

This was a super easy badge as I am doing these activities continually."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (#8431, TinaTina) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

"I earned this merit badge by reading about making butter and being safe in handling it. Also researching the history of how butter was first made. It was very interesting along with fun facts about butter too.

This turned out surprisingly well. It was easy, the only thing that was hard was the nonstop shaking of the jar. The reward of making butter was gratifying."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Furniture Makeover Merit Badge!

"These metal chairs were found in our old granary years ago. They were originally pink. My daughter painted them green. They were looking pretty sad so I decided to give them a facelift!

I gave them a good coat of primer to cover the dark green. Then I changed my mind and decided to make them 2 toned, white frames with a light blue gray seat and back. I’m really happy with how they turned out!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"My granddaughter asked me to make her some chokers using some buttons that she had found. I put them on some velvet ribbon and added some snaps.

She is very excited about them! Apparently the 70s are back in style! Also not pictured…I had to make one for her cat…yes, there’s a crazy cat lady theme here :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"I decided to stay with the 70s vibe and research the button styles of that era. I started making my own clothes then. Buttons were functional but also part of the “fashion “ of the garment. Decorative buttons were usually made of wood, think boho, ceramic, metal, plastic. They often had intricate designs and could be oversized. Another type of button worn then were pin back styles, worn on jackets, bags and hats. They feature humorous, pop culture or political, feminist or environmental movement slogans or images.

I have a large button collection of all types and sizes. This sampling includes some made of metal, china, rubber, antler and wood, handmade by my uncle."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

"To complete my Grease Chicks expert badge, I learned how to put on snow chains, change a tire and change out spark plugs.

Changing a tire and putting on chains turned out to be much easier than I had thought! But the spark plugs...not so much! I will be happy to let the professionals do that if the time arises!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Forage for Food Merit Badge!

"Many of the forageable plants in my area grow in the same locations before, during and after their growing seasons.

I know that I will be able to find asparagus growing along our ditchbank all season. It has jointed stalks and will grow feathery tops and little red berries at the end of it's growth.

Purslane likes to grow wherever ground has been disturbed, like new garden planting. It grows flat along the ground and has a pinkish stem and small, oval, flat leaves.

Cattails will always be somewhere wet and have their characteristic brown, fuzzy tops.

Lambsquarter has an oval, pointed leaf with a silver dusting on it. It can usually be found growing in the crop fields, all year long.

Dandelions can be found just about anywhere green. They have their telltale bright, yellow flowers or white, puff ball tops when they have gone to seed.

Berries have long, oval leaves with jagged edges and white blossoms."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Forage for Food Merit Badge!

"I spent some time today “foraging on the farm” for late summer edibles….both wild and domestic.Pictured are:
Purslane…salads,tea
Pinto beans
Sage…cooking
Lambsquarter….salads, greens
Cattails
Cilantro…cooking
Beets…vegetable and greens
Dandelion….greens
Asparagus
Crabapples….jelly
Strawberries….leaves are also edible
Peppermint….tea, flavoring
Rose hips…vitamin C

I also took a mushroom foraging/ID class through our local community college. I had gone mushroom hunting while in Montana and found what I assumed was a DEADLY, enormous mushroom. It looked like it should have a gnome standing next to it:). It turns out that it was actually an edible mushroom, just in its decomposing stage. Even after taking the class I still wouldn’t feel confident enough about wild mushrooms without going out with an expert….which could be easier said than done as they can be very secretive about their favorite hunting spots."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (#8229, citychick03) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner First Aid Merit Badge!

"I collected bandaids, gauze pads, and gloves in a ziplock bag to create a first aid kit to place into my car for emergencies. I also created additional ziplock bags to place in my kitchen, bathroom, and garage.

I checked my smoke detectors, and fire extinguisher making note of the date.

It was really fun to create the first aid kit ziplock bags for my car and house. I feel better prepared for emergencies now that I have the supplies.

I also feel prepared having checked my extinguisher and smoke detectors. I now have a check date for the next month."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  9:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (#8229, citychick03) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate First Aid Merit Badge!

"I enrolled in a Pediatric/ Adult First Aid/CPR Class at my local YMCA.

I also posted in the First Aid Chit Chat about what I learned.

It was very informative! I feel confident in what I learned in First Aid to apply simple first aid to creating or using a tourniquet if someone is injured on a hike.

It also showed me how important First Aid is and the different scenarios where I may have to use it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2024 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Scott (#8515, raynaylor (rayscott)) has received certificates of achievement in Outpost for earning all three levels of the Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

"Beginner Level
I enrolled in a hunter safety course back in 2014. I also obtained my state's concealed carry permit in 2023.

Intermediate
Since then I have spent at least 20 hours at the range and practicing on private lands.

Expert
I have gone deer hunting several times and previously earned my badge for it.

I enjoyed learning about gun safety and still use the information I was taught today when I am out hunting. I think the practicing is the most valuable aspect as it made me more confident when shooting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2024 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (#8284, Lacey) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"In the backyard I built 12 planter boxes from recycled redwood fencing. Also added a wood border around the lawn area about 60 feet to make a walk way. The sunflowers liked their new area in the yard!

I like working outdoors and try to use what I can from recycled material."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2024 :  12:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (#8284, Lacey) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"Here are some of the buttons from my button jar.I have metal, shell leather, plastic wood, glass rubber lots of old small and big buttons.

Buttons are fun for me and my grandkids."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

"Starting out by researching the Cruelty-free and organic products. Cruelty-free products by definition are not tested on animals. These products are given a leaping bunny symbol. Organic products must include at least 95% organic ingredients, organic products are kept to a particular global standard. On my adventure, I found Kind Lip Products, they are in fact leaping bunny certified.

I enjoyed going through Ulta to find new products for my skin care routine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Community Action Merit Badge!

"I started by researching a topic that was important to me and that was simply the level of social services within my community. In my new town of Chambersburg, PA there is various levels of social classes, we are close enough to Baltimore and Washington DC, that we are considered a commuter community with affluent residents. Additionally we have a blossoming culturally diverse population. I love meeting people when I am out and about and hearing their stories. The social services can offer job training programs, resume assistance, and employment resources to help residents find stable and meaningful work. A significant portion of the population is actually within the poverty level and take advantage of several public programs.

There are additional services offered in healthcare and substance abuse issues. Preventative care and education being the top points within the local discussion. The community offers to immigrants and refugees language classes, employment support, and cultural integration, promoting diversity and inclusion.

Franklin county human services is the branch that is the go to for finding information on these programs and services.

Understanding social services on a government level grants me a new prospective on the diverse situations within the community. I really like the time I spent looking into the different issues and looking inward to figure out what issues are important to me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:50:03 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

"Looking into how I can help with the stewardship of the earth. It impacts more than just me, it is about making sure that the health of a total ecosystem, including the air, water, food, and the biodiversity. I can think about how I can help the planet to be preserved for my kids. Litter on our highways, public places, and outdoor recreational areas can become non compostable and pollute the water, endangering wildlife, and may pose a potential safety risk. Managing and helping to clean up these areas up with improve and create a cleaner, healthier and overall enjoyable community for everyone and everything.

When significant amounts of litter are deposited in a single location, then this can create significant habitat disruption. Animals can crawl into debris and become stuck, resulting in death, an example includes birds becoming tangled in plastics, water creatures becoming injured or accidentally ingesting debris. On highways vehicles can be damaged due to litter on the highways and potentially causing accidents. In urban spaces, due to litter, stormwater drains can be clogged and cause damage, and pests may become an issue for humans, bringing diseases, see the plague, that was bad.

This has been a very informative deep dive for learning how litter effects the planet. I would love to deeper dive into this from the perspective of sustainable fashion, maybe on the next badge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

"Looking into the zero waste lifestyle, it is simply a way to reduce the amount of waste that is produced by within my household. Understanding how I can avoid sending things to landfills and incinerators. This is accomplished by repairing old items, reusing containers, only buy what you need, and avoiding single use items.

A zero waste audit is an umbrella look at what is the waste a household is currently using. Understanding the what kind of waste is being produced. I just moved, so right now cardboard is the largest thing in my garbage. I am also happy to be shopping at aldi again and buying their salsa, so I have similar jars that can be reused. My garbage is generally sent to a landfill from my town. While during my audit, I would love to input a compost pile, it is not feasible at this time. I am looking into recycling my used coffee grounds into body scrub, I believe being in a rental will make this process much more creative.

Reducing my waste footprint is a great goal at this time and my mind is trying to spin in all the creative ways that this would be possible."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received certificates of achievement in Each Other for earning all three levels of the Entrepreneurial Spirit Badge!

"For the last 4 years I have owned my own candle company and spiritual services. I offer handmade candles that can help the universe change your perspective and your life. I additionally work with people using my skills as a medium for them to connect with their loved ones that have passed on.

Insane, that’s how this turned out, insane. If I had not started this badge, I would have never gone back to school for accounting. It is truly my love and passion for filing taxes. I know it sounds so odd, but I love setting up accounts within interstate laws and paying taxes and understanding how business financial statements are a workflow unto themselves."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 533 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page