Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 533

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Farmgirl Jubilee Badge!

"Looking into the definition of Jubilee defined as a special anniversary of an event, especially one celebrating twenty-five or fifty years of a reign or activity. In terms of jubilee’s that I have celebrated, I have been to the celebration of my grandparent’s 50th Wedding Anniversary and my parents 25th Wedding Anniversary. For the Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee I watched the coverage of the street parties that took place on Saturday, it was amazing to see all of the bunting and flags everyone put up to celebrate. This began my personal love of bunting. Additionally I did watch the highlights of the carriage procession, balcony, and the fly past.

Please see my post here: https://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?whichpage=11&TOPIC_ID=99308#1083161

This was a fun Sunday morning thought process, but it made me miss my box of buttons that I used to keep. I have a selection of buttons but I only buy them when I need them for projects. Maybe we should gain back a button box."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Languages/Culture Badge!

"I am looking into learning more about Mexican Culture and learning Spanish for this merit badge. I have always have had a fascination with Mexican cuisine, how during colonization their traditions were blended with the colonizers and created colorful blend within celebrations. Additionally I am excited to research more about Mexican artists and the techniques that they used.

I think this will be a good language for me to learn, I know German right now, but the verb structure is very similar. Counting to ten Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuatro, Cinco, Seis, Siete, Ocho, Nueve, Diez. When I was growing up I always forgot siete for some odd reason.

I am excited to start this. I was talking to my boss and she told me that if I can get some Spanish certifications I would be able to really move the needle on my career and be sent out for assignments in Mexico."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2024 :  09:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Emily Lam (#2951, alterationsbyemily) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Home Insulation Badge!

"I decided to go for this merit badge after drilling a hole in my new apartment wall and some pink insulation came out on the drill bit. My townhouse was built 3 years ago, the exterior walls are built with pink insulation. After receiving my first electric bill, I was shocked at how much the space was to cool in the hottest months of the summer. It was $88, which may seem high to other people, but in my older 1950s house that I lived in for 12 years the electric bill would have been around $225 per month in the summer, and that was only a slight larger square footage.

Upon researching what kind of insulation my prior home had it was a type of Wool insulation, it was very inefficient. My newer home has modern fiberglass insulation which works much better to keep the cool air in the home.

The windows are standard vinyl double pane windows, they are quite large at 72” tall. It is nice considering I have not a lot of windows. They seem to keep the heat out very well and when I am near they do not have any heat coming through cracks. They fit snugly against the frames and there is minimal transfer of heat from outside to inside.

When I contacted my electric company about any rebates about upgrading insulation. FirstEnergy offers the WARM program, this is for someone to come in and do an assessment of the home’s energy efficiency and find out if there are any improvements that can be made. WARM is a program offered to low income families in my area.

https://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=99555

This was a fun adventure to get my feet wet back into the Farmgirl thoughts. I am really glad to have this place and looking at the competitors for where to live in this new town, it really started to show that I picked an energy efficient home. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Food Allergy Awareness Badge!

"A food allergy can affect your body in different ways. The most common is a immunoglobulin E (IgE) reaction. This leads to the usual allergic reactions: itching, swelling of mouth and tongue, breathing problems, even possible anaphylaxis. This is the most common. A Non IgE reaction causes other body parts to respond to the perceived threat, usually skin or digestive symptoms, such as heartburn, eczema, etc.

It's estimated that 33 million people and 1 in 13 children suffer from some kind of food allergy.
The top 6 allergens are:
1. Cow's Milk-most common in children
2. Eggs- the egg white is more common than the yolk to cause the allergy
3. Tree Nuts
4. Peanuts- most common allergy in people under 18 years old. 90% of people who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to at least 1 tree nut.
5. Shellfish
6. Wheat

My daughter has a very low tolerance for eggs so I guess you could say she is somewhat allergic to them. A good friend of mine has become allergic to nuts and avoids all of them. Her daughter is gluten intolerant. I do not eat any shellfish. I am not sure if the reaction I had to shrimp was an allergic one or a contaminated one. As I was not a big seafood fan to begin with, this was easy for me to choose to not eat it at all.

Three common foods at the store that we would want to avoid would be peanut butter, shrimp, bread, baked goods, eggs and nuts of any kind, fresh or roasted."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Food Allergy Awareness Badge!

"I took 3 different recipes that I use and took out all allergens....meatloaf, baked oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies.

For the meatloaf, I used Bob's Red Mill egg replacer for egg, oat milk instead of regular dairy, skipped the shredded cheese and used oatmeal instead of cracker crumbs.

For the baked oatmeal, I used greek yogurt instead of butter, applesauce instead of eggs and oat milk instead of dairy.
The chocolate chip cookies used a flax seed + oat milk combo for the egg, oat flour in place of wheat and coconut oil instead of butter.

The meatloaf was close to the original; I think I prefer cracker crumbs to oatmeal but the taste was good.

I think the baked oatmeal was actually better than the original recipe! I liked the added applesauce and the yogurt upped the protein level over the egg.

I would give the chocolate chip cookies a 5 out of 10. If you were really craving a cookie and couldn't tolerate gluten, etc..they were passable."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Food Allergy Awareness Badge!

"I changed my diet for 3 days as though I have an egg allergy. Of course, that's when I craved the hard boiled egg and thousand island dressing on a chef's salad....

I found several ways to substitute eggs in cooking/baking...

4 T. of banana or pumpkin puree or applesauce
2 T. of oats + 3 T. boiling water
1 t. soda + 1 T. vinegar
1 T. ground flaxseed + 3 T. water
4 T. greek yogurt

I used a couple of these in my baking/cooking during those 3 days. I think I preferred the applesauce the best in baking. I also just had to avoid eating eggs themselves, sticking to yogurt for breakfast.

I'm really glad that I don't have an egg allergy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert First Aid Badge!

"Since receiving my first aid card, I have recently done a refresher course. I have also taken a farm first aid class through SAIF.

This one was really interesting and also very practical. It emphasized shop safety, safety around equipment, staying safe while working outside in the heat, dealing with snake bites and how to treat injuries more commonly caused on the farm. I learned of other supplies that I will add to our shop first aid kit, such as quick clot advanced clotting gauze, also known as combat gauze; compression bandages; trauma shears; nitrile gloves and eyewash."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Cross-Stitch Badge!

"For this badge I cross stitched a lattice looking border on a plain queen size sheet and pillowcases. I used a thread color to match my bedroom.

I’m really happy with the way it dressed the sheets up!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Little Squirts Badge!

"During our swathing season this summer and we had daytime sleepers, I noticed how many squeaky doors that we had in the house! I went around and oiled all doors and cabinet doors. Even though I do kind of miss the tell tale squeak of the back door, it's very quiet now!

I also oiled the chain on my bike and put it away for the season along with my pruning shears, cleaned, oiled and put away until next spring."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Badge!

"Four GOOD bugs that are usually found in our yard/garden and what attracts them are:

Green lace wings-roses, marigold or scented geraniums
Lady bugs-flowers with small nectar sources like dill and fennel; also tansy and milkweed
Bees-brightly colored and sweet scents
Praying mantis-plants that provide camouflage, like tall grasses and shrubs
Dragon flies-mosquitoes and flies

Four not so good bugs that have been in the yard have been aphids, caterpillars, cutworms and slugs. I have a tiny, gray slug like worm that has been getting into my late season strawberries for the past several years. I need to trap one and take it to the local research station so that it can be identified so I can find a way to eliminate them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Geography Badge!

"Luckily for me, my daughter had an extra globe and gave it to me. I know my continents, oceans, etc but thought I would brush up on the Middle East countries, learning a little more about them. A couple of interesting facts that I learned are parts of Iraq and Iran have recorded "feel like" temperatures above 160 degrees F. I cannot even imagine. Also, a place called the Empty Quarter, which is in the center of the Arabian desert, is the largest sandy only desert on the planet and receives as little as 1.2" of rain annually.

The history of cartography goes back to about 25,000 BC with a mammoth tusk carving in the Czech Republic featuring a mountain and valley scene. Maps of stars have been found on cave walls dating to 14,500 BC.

Map making evolved through time, focusing first on land surveying and practical info, as opposed to geographical accuracy. Greeks were famous for maps of the world and the Romans for maps of roads. Nautical maps became important and with the advancement of accurate navigational tools and with scientists, explorers and cartographers, maps were updated with new discoveries as time went on.

Map making continued to evolve through time as technology advanced. Today, manual mapping has been replaced with digital mapping. Satellite imagery and aerial photography have enhanced the accuracy of today's maps. GPS enables real time tracking.

Maps began as ancient art and have evolved into modern science."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Geography Badge!

"I have had a good friend that lives in Northern BC for the past 15 years. We met through our husbands, who became hunting partners. We have both been to visit each other several times. On one trip, she took me to an old gold mining town and I learned some of the local history of their area. We also went to a hockey game and the restaurants!! So many new yummy things to try! Canada isn't so far away but they do have differences as well as things in common with the US.

After learning of my Scottish heritage, I decided that my overseas vacation would be to Scotland! I have done a lot of research on the country and decided that if I was over there, I needed to see the entire thing. After mapping out the places that I would like to see, I decided that it would be easier to sign up for a tour; that way, I could focus on the scenery and not worry about driving on the wrong side of the road the entire time and also learn the history of the area.

The tour that I found begins in Edinburgh. We take the train to Glasgow. From there we take the West Highland train through the Scottish highlands to Ft. William.

Coach travel takes us to Oban and Tobermory, in the Island of Mull region. We get to cruise on Loch Linnke and learn more history of the area.

Coach again takes us from Glencoe through the Moorlands. Here we get to ride in vintage cars aboard a steam train to Mallaig. We visit Urquhart Castle and spend a day in Inverness. A cruise around Loch Ness, of course!

The Kyleline railroad takes us to the Eilean Donan Castle and more history lessons. The tour ends back in Edinburgh. I decided before leaving the country, we could rent a car and drive to St. Andrews and spend the day before heading home. Only an hour driving on the wrong side of the road but a fun experience while we're there!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Geography Badge!

"I have been sharing my newfound love of Scotland with my husband and also my son, who has been doing some extensive research of his own on Wales and Scotland. We have been comparing notes of things to see and things we have learned. He is planning on going for his upcoming birthday and has spent the last 2 years learning Welsh, not an easy language to learn.

I found out about my Scottish ancestry through a DNA test from Ancestry.com. My son had given it to me for Christmas. It's really been fun learning about. I had always thought I was German but found out otherwise!

Even if I were 100% Scottish, I will NOT be trying haggis anytime soon!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Path to Zero Waste Badge!

"Three take aways that I learned in my research of zero waste living are:

1. That it's all about reducing waste to a minimum to save money and reduce the impact on the environment.
2. Recycling, composting and mindful shopping.
3. Carefully considering every item before it's brought into your home.

It's not an overnight process. Use up things that you have before transitioning to sustainable alternatives.

The idea of a waste audit is interesting! It could be very enlightening as to what is being thrown away. You really need to see what's in your trash on a daily and weekly basis to know how you can reduce and recycle."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Staying Green Badge!

"Since I completed my Going Green badges in 2018, I have continued to practice my new green habits: using only green cleaners, making some of my own products and recycling newspaper.

I would say that the one area that I struggle with is using my own shopping bags! During COVID, we weren't allowed to bring our own bags into the store so I got used to not using them. If I have a large amount of groceries to buy, I just end up using bags from the store. (Although, I do recycle them). I need to make a more conscience effort to use them, at least on quick shopping trips."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  5:52:12 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Staying Green Badge!

"I keep all of my cleaning recipes in a 3 ring binder. I also use the book, "Little House Living" by Melissa Alink. It is a treasure trove of recipes and ideas. I use 2 of her recipes a lot, creams for eczema and diaper rash. They are great for all kinds of skin irritations. I used her laundry detergent recipe for a long time but have since been using detergent from Norwex. It is still green and takes very little.

I usually mix up cleaners as I need them so they are fresh and store them in a dark, cool cupboard.

I always have the ingredients that I need on hand:
grapeseed, avocado, Vit E and coconut oils
beeswax granules
aloe vera
shea butter
vegetable glycerine
castile soap, liquid and bar
citric acid
baking soda
regular and himalayan salts

I have shared some of my recipes with others, especially for the healing creams."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (#8042, Tchr66) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Green Energy Badge!

"In order to earn my merit badge for Green Energy, I accessed the website of our local electric company. There, I discovered the sources used to generate our electric. This energy I then shared on the merit badge chatroom.

I learned a lot about the electricity flowing through my home. Some is generated in New York. This badge has helped to enhance my unit on energy. I look forward to using this information in my 5th and 6th grade science classes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (#8042, Tchr66) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Recycling Badge!

"Living on a farm in southern Ohio, throwing things away has never been something we liked to do. So, determining the start date is next to impossible. I have chosen the year we moved into our new home. However, in order to earn the beginner level badge, I researched what, where, when, and how often recyclables were collected in my area.

I learned curbside pick-up is not available in our area yet. There are four different locations where we can deposit recyclables. And, we have been taking our recyclables to the site we are traveling nearest when the containers become full."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (#8042, Tchr66) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Recycling Badge!

"In order to earn the intermediate badge, we have a system of garbage bags where we collect our plastic and tin. We do this and empty the bags in the collection bins.

We collect the paper and cardboard in boxes that we dump into the containers and collapse the boxes and deposit those as well.

Aluminum cans are collected in garbage bags and taken to a local group who then sell them to fund scholarships.

We have successfully decreased our garbage production to an average of about one bag per week."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (#8042, Tchr66) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Recycling Badge!

"In order to earn the expert level badge, I encourage everyone I can to recycle all they can.

Specifically, I have encouraged our congregation to recycle our cans explaining the cans could be used to fund scholarships. As a result, containers were placed in both buildings on our campus.

In my classroom, there are two containers, 1 for paper, the other for plastic.

The group collects the cans regularly.

The kids bring paper and plastic to my boxes on a regular basis. Occasionally they report that they have convinced their families to begin recycling.

This is an ongoing project. I am working to get recycling bins at our school so more classrooms can participate in recycling."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds (#8042, Tchr66) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Shopping Green Badge!

"To earn this badge, I collected the reusable bags I have. I placed these in my truck so they would be there when I need them.

I often forget to take the bags back to the truck after I use them. I am still working on that."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Badge!

"I identified at least 4 different beneficial bugs and at least 4 different harmful bugs that live in my garden. I researched different methods of organic pest control, along with different plants to grow that attract beneficial bugs to my garden.

4 Beneficial Bugs:

Praying Mantis - Eat harmful bugs, but unfortunately, they sometimes eat beneficial bugs

Ladybug - eat aphids and other small insects

Ants - aerate the soil, breakdown organic matter, help control aphids and their honeydew, seed dispersers, and help with pollination

Dragonflies - eat small flies and mosquitos, help with pollination

4 Harmful Bugs:

Japanese Beetle - eat leaves and fruit, don't smash them as they release pheromones that draw more beetles, best way to get rid of them is to hand pick them and drop them into bucket of soapy water, use Surround kaolin clay at first sign, can also spray mix of 4T Dawn dish soap per 1qt. water in a sprayer.

Grasshopper - damage and destroy plants, consume 16 times their body weight each day, garlic spray and kaolin clay are good pest control.

Aphids - suck sap from plants, feeding spreads viral diseases, honeydew supports mold growth on plants, plant chopped banana peel at the base of the plants, strong wet of water, or 1 teas. dish soap per 1 c. water in sprayer are best.

Tomato Hornworm - eat leaves and stems of tomato, pepper, eggplant, and potato plants. Handpicking is the best way to get rid of hornworms, Capt. Jack's Dead bug brew, use row covers.

The best way to keep harmful insects away is to attract natural predators such as birds, lizards, and wasps. Plants that help attract natural predators are alyssum, yarrow, cosmos, dill, fennel, marigolds, mint, anise hyssop, purple coneflower, butterfly bush, bee balm, sedums, plants in the carrot family and the verbena family.

Organic pest control and beneficial plants"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2024 :  6:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Bibliophile Badging Badge!

"For this badge I joined our company’s book club. I am also on the executive team and a leadership coaching group for our company which each have books we read and discuss together. The book club is for everyone to share the current reads and to make and request recommendations for titles.

For the reading contest I got permission to solicit book club members to participate in a summer reading challenge. Six folks committed to the challenge which ran July-August. I kicked off the challenge by giving the six participants each a book themed thank you gift that included a tote bag with cute book designs, book plates, bookmarks, and two reading logs. Our team members are spread out across the country so everything was run virtually.

For the competition we established three categories: most books read, most pages read, most hours read/listened. I also created a group chat for the participants so we could encourage each other. For my own reading I read several books:
The Four Obsessions of an Executive
ADHD is Awesome
The Low Carbon Garden
The Creative Business Handbook
Business Minded

I ended the challenge with a virtual celebration which I will share more details about in the expert level submission.

Everyone loved the reading challenge and asked that we do it every summer. Everyone agreed that it helped them stay motivated to read more over summer - which is also when it’s easier for most folks to commit to something like this. It also brought together folks from very different departments, locations, and reading tastes which made our conversations very interesting!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2024 :  10:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Putting Away for Winter Badge!

"I investigated different methods of canning food. I shared what I found out of Merit Badge Chit Chat. I canned or froze three types of produce, pressure canned one type of meat, and dehydrated jerky. I made a meal of my canned, frozen, and dehydrated food.

I researched different methods of canning food, and shared my knowledge on Merit Badge Chit Chat. I canned and froze apricots, peaches, and plums. I pressure canned elk meat. I also made beef jerky and fruit leather in my dehydrator. My husband and I had a lunch of frozen and canned fruits and beef jerky. It was great, and my husband was so proud of what I had accomplished!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16445 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16445 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2024 :  10:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Badge!

"After learning about bugs, I took my knowledge to the garden. got them!!! We picked about 150 - 200 of those bugs from our tree! Next year when we see one our plan is to spray the fruit with kaolin clay. If we have to hand-pick more of them, we will not forget to put in the dish soap because those bugs are not easy to drown!

My Husband and I noticed that there were more and more Japanese Beetles in our yard. Yuck! We checked around our yard, inspecting our precious fruit trees. Sure enough, the peach tree was loaded with them. . .it happened so fast! Thankfully we had harvested a great deal of the fruit before they arrived! We knew not to squish them because they release pheromones that signal other bugs to come! I got a big bucket and put about 10 inches of water in it. I was in a hurry and forgot to put the dish soap in. We cut off some of the fruit that was covered with bugs. They fell into the water in the bucket. We also hand-picked a great deal of the bugs from the leaves and other fruit. what a job it was! We went out the next day and there were more! We did the same thing, cut and picked. On the third day, there were only a couple of bugs - we got them!!! We picked about 150 - 200 of those bugs from our tree! Next year when we see one our plan is to spray the tree with kaolin clay. If we have to hand-pick more of them, we will not forget to put the dish soap into the water because those bugs are not easy to drown!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 533 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page