Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 529

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell (#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Aprons Merit Badge!

"I made a full apron from a pattern. I am so excited to have it finished and enjoy wearing my apron. I wore my apron to my friend's house and she loved it and wants one to.

I found a great fabric. It is crabs and fish print. Seafood is a favorite food of mine, so it fits just right. I enjoyed sewing my apron with its blue sash and love the way it turned out."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

"I’ve been working on a few badges. In particular the puttin up and canning badges. For the puttin up badge I started last fall with trying to freeze some of the excess green beans I had. I did research and tried both blanching and not blanching before placing in vacuum seal bags. I also tried three different ways of freezing organic bananas I got on clearance at the store. I tried just placing them in a freezer safe container, in a vacuum seal bag, and slicing them and placing them on parchment layers in a container. Last I shredded some excess carrots I had at the end of winter and put them in 2 cup and 3 cup freezer safe containers.

The carrots worked great. I use the 2 cups for soups (let them get to room temp then sauté) and steam the 3 cup for carrot cake. Both turned out delicious! I used the bananas for banana bread. The method that worked the best were the vacuum bags. The container let way too much air in and the got brown and mushy. For the paper, slicing was messy and after awhile it was hard to get them off the paper again. But it’s been a nice way to leverage cheap organic bananas and ensure I always have bananas when I get a hankering for banana bread. My green beans, however, were terrible. Both versions just tasted awful. I’m not sure what I did wrong. But I got a pressure canner and think that will be my method for green bean preservation instead of freezing"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Recipes Merit Badge!

"I’ve been collecting family recipes for a few years. I started after I read the Family Kitchen. It’s a genealogy book that looks at the history of recipes, how recipes were often one of the only records of women before viral statistics included them, the importance of preserving family recipes, and how recipes and cookbooks have evolved over time.

It’s been challenging to get some from cousins and such, but I was lucky enough to get several family favorites from each of my grandmothers before they passed away. Including GG Goodson’s famous apple butter recipe and Grandma Caywood’s pancake recipe!

GGs family were German immigrants. She and my great grandfather were farmers. She would make and can apple butter every year. Before she passed I was able to get a copy of the recipe in her handwriting. She also told me where she got the recipe from. My grandfather bought her a copy of the Lighthouse Cookbook in 1938 as a wedding present. I wasn’t able to get her exact copy but I was able to track down another copy from an antique book dealer.

Grandma Caywood was a professional southwestern artist. My grandparents lived in a cabin in the NM mountains. When we would visit my grandmother would make pancakes but not just circles. She would take requests and make Mickey Mouse, aliens, dogs, you name it all freehand with a spoon. I just make plain circles but this recipe is still my go to for family breakfast on the weekends.

I also asked my family and in laws to provide me with recipes at my bridal shower. So I collected my mothers foundation sweet roll/cinnamon roll recipe along with her chicken noodle soup and casote, my in laws Connor Mac, panhaus, and spinach balls recipe, plus my sister in laws Hello Dolly recipe and more. I’ve also been documenting new favorites I have found in cookbooks, from cooking classes I take, etc.

Ive finally got enough to do a family cookbook. My goal is to compile the recipes along with a story about where they came from and some family photos. I found an online company where I can put it together and family can order their own copies direct without me having to print them all."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

"I’ve spent the last three years building up the habitat for beneficials and natives. I planted lots of pollinator plants and have encouraged the wildflowers and other natives to grow on their own. I’ve had so many free plants arrive on the wind or via the birds as a result. When we first moved in it was a desolate desert with only ants and a few ladybugs. Each spring I saw a huge improvement in the population of beneficial insects. This spring it just absolutely exploded!

Now I have TONS of beneficial insects with more showing up everyday. I was really excited when I saw the lacewings show up. My grandfather used them in his farm for pest control. I’ve also seen a HUGE increase in the number and variety of butterflies and moths showing up, including these huge silk moth caterpillars that look like something out of Alice in Wonderland, buckeye butterflies, stick bugs, and a huge variety of pollinator flies, bumblebees, mason bees, parasitic wasps, and more! There have been some new interesting bugs that I haven’t been able to identify yet, but the diversity is astounding. And all day you can hear just lots of humming and buzzing and see as many as a dozen different beneficials on a single plant!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

"As I mentioned before, I worked as a mechanic in high school and had to do a ton of oil changes. So for this badge I decided to handle the oil and filter changes on my push trimmer since I hadn’t done that before. Plus my daughters weren’t interested in learning how to change their own oil. I tried!

Our local Oreilly auto parts store has an oil recycling program and I learned they have a tool rental program. I had to order the maintenance kit from DR Power direct though.

Oil change went well. Unfortunately the air filter in the kit did not match the trimmer. The belt was also loose so we changed that out-needed hubbies help undoing a couple of bolts though because they were on too tight. Belt is great and not slipping anymore but now I need to adjust the tension on the trimming head control. Been watching videos and hope to tackle it in the next week or two."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

"As the mother of three special needs children I live in this space daily. My kids have "invisible" disabilities of varying degrees which often makes it harder to get accommodations and to support them in every day life.

My youngest has mild to moderate autism, non verbal. He is unable to communicate fully (though he can answer basic questions and interact somewhat after 13 years of speech therapy). biologically he is 14 but mentally he is four. Personal hygiene and social rules are very difficult for him and although he is going to High school this year he is only at a second grade level academically. This past year he finally graduated to being able to go to the restroom by himself (he loved to play in the toilet water and smear feces on the wall). But he still has an aide with him at all times on the bus and at school. He will stay in High school till he is 20 and is deemed as fully disabled. So he will always require care.

Our middle daughter has Bi-Polar 1 with Manic Episodes. She has been hospitalized 8 times and spent 8 months in long-term care. Without consistent and proper medication and care she becomes delusion, violent, and self destructive. She also dyslexia and struggles in school. She looks "normal" but struggles to do day to day living activities, hygiene, etc. She will need medication and therapy her whole life and is at risk for sever challenges that can affect her health, relationships, finances, and freedom.

My eldest is "high functioning" autism and ADHD - referred to as AuDHD. She was diagnosed later as I was a single mom for most of her life and did not start learning about these conditions until I started learning about my younger (technically step) children. She also has to be on medication in order to function. Without it and constant support, she gets overwhelmed and overstimulate and has meltdowns and self injurious episodes. When those happen she will beat her head against the wall, punch herself in the head, and cut herself. She struggles to manage finances, admin, data to day activities, etc.

I also have ADHD just recently diagnosed and have learned more about its prevalence and the struggles we face in society. I take medication to help my condition which many people think is unnecessary but studies and my own experience have found that it can mean the difference between thriving and living or severe issues and even death. As a parent of 3 special needs kids and someone with a condition myself, each day I am handling meltdowns and trying to keep my kids from hurting themselves or others. I have had to learn strategies to manage their sensory and executive functioning challenges while having to spend more and more energy managing myself so I can be present and calm for them. I am constantly moving from doctors appointments to pharmacies to school meetings to manage their care and ensure their needs are met. We constantly run into issues with getting medications, particularly for myself as medication shortages continue and the cost of medications go up. because of their conditions we are very limited on child care. Most daycares won't take special needs kids and there is only 1 respite facility in five counties and they are located over an hour away. So we have to rely on my mother and father in law for date nights and for when I have to travel for work.

Because my youngest is in a full time special ed program and my middle child has supplemental SPED services, I have also seen the challenges that many.other children and parents have. There are a couple of students who are wheelchair bound and must be fed through a straw. My neighbor, a family friend, and the school all have folks with down syndrome in their programs. My husband is an army veteran and we live in San Antonio area, which has five military basis. So there are numerous wounded soldiers with varying access to wheelchairs and prosthetic limbs.

Most small businesses do not have proper accommodations for people of differing abilities. We're lucky that our school has a truly wonderful SpED program and a very welcoming and understanding community for invisible disabilities. Just yesterday my son touched about a dozen strangers (that's how he said hi) and none of them got mad. They all understood he was different. This was not the case at our previous school district where the aides were accusing him, a 9 year old nonverbal autistic child, of assault.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Know Your Food Merit Badge!

"I kept a food journal for a month. It wasn't the most detailed food journal, but it did make me more conscious about ensuring I get my daily fruit and veg and such. I bought a meal planner as well, but planning 3 meals a day for 5 people with different dietary needs is a bit overwhelming. So this is a work in progress.

I read Animal, vegetable, and Mineral by Kingsolver but I did not like it. I felt like it was very negative and preachy approach. Even though I agreed with eating seasonally, locally, organic, etc I just didn't jive with her approach. I like a few other books and podcasts better on the topic including the books bean Blossom Farm and How To Beat Disease, as well as the Joe gardener and Feel better Live More podcasts. they take a more positive and encouraging approach to changing our habits around food.

I am always looking for ways to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in my non-bio kids and husbands diets. It's not easy as we are a blended family and they had some entrenched habits. My daughter and I experienced my father's diabetes and cancer and learned and incorporated different eating habits as a result. I was raised by a family that lived off junk food so it took me several years to transition. My youngest is also autistic and so sensory about foods, so anything bitter or mushy is a big no for him. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy so it has taken some experimenting to find things he will eat. My daughters are a bit easier, especially my biological.

What has worked for my 10 fruits and veggies include:
Garden grown green beans, carrots, and broccoli. Everyone except the middle child will eat green beans, but the middle child loves carrots and broccoli. My husband ha been very impressed with the quality of the green beans and broccoli I grow and how I prepare it.
The middle child has started eating bananas and apple slices for her snacks. I've also got her into banana bread. All of the kids will eat fruit leather and frozen fruit pops. I've got my husband eating salads, though he's pretty basic with his salad choices. My husband and two younger kids will eat pasta sauce enhanced with extra veggies (blended in of course) but my eldest daughter still won't eat any tomatoes or tomato sauce. It was the one food I loved that she would not let me eat when I was pregnant with her. One new one that I and my oldest daughter love is steamed edamame in the pod. It's a great snack, especially while driving. I was able to grow some last spring and they were delicious. I just struggle with knowing when to pick them. I'm trying out a new variety in the fall and going to see if I can freeze them.

I eliminated hydrogenated oils years ago after listening to Dr. Weil's books. I've also become more aware as to how different oils are produced and where they come from, as well as the risks of reusing oils. I live in the south and so saving bacon grease and other oils is prevalent, but reusing those oils has been found to create carcinogenic effects. I use organic and sustainable oils whenever possible, but it's hard as most of the healthy oils are grown and produced oversees.

I've made progress with the family. However I have given up trying to get my son to eat broccoli after he started throwing up on the table during dinner in defiance. He loves crunchy green beans and veggie straws -- anything crunchy works. And he loves spaghetti. So we are doing better. My husband will not eat any fruit and is still limited in his veggies. He has picked up the habit of announcing to me each time he eats a plant so I can stop "nagging" him. Which I don't lol.

The more I am able to grow and learn how to cook fruits and veggies the more I am able to inch them closer to the plant side, but I also know when to choose my battles lol. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:52:14 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Bread Making Merit Badge!

"Although baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents that contain sodium bicarbonate, there are some key differences. Baking powder, in addition to sodium bicarbonate, includes a powder acid such as cream of tartar. Baking soda does not contain any acid. To be activated sodium bicarbonate requires acid, liquid, and heat. If used on its own, baking soda can neutralize an acid, which would not be good for something like buttermilk pancakes where that buttermilk twang is desired in the flavor profile. Because baking powder has an acid in it, it does not neutralize any other acid ingredients. Baking soda is useful for browning baked goods. And so you will oftenest them used together in order to achieve the right amount of lift in a recipe, the right flavor profile, and the brown crust that gives baked goods their crunch.

The three breads I cooked are as follows:

1. Irish Soda Bread: I absolute love Irish Soda Bread and how easy it is to make. It's my favorite bread to accompany soups and stews. It has a great crust on the outside and is dense and chewy on the inside. My husband does not like it as he thinks it's bland, but I think it's perfect.

2. GF Coconut Flour Banana Bread: I make both a regular and a GF version, but my preference is the gluten free version made with coconut flower, flax seed, arrowroot, and bananas. It includes 2tsps of baking powder since there is no acid, but also 1/2 tsp of baking soda so it can brown on the top. I noticed gluten free recipes and fruit breads tend to call for larger amounts of baking powder in order to get enough lift. This recipe is slightly more dense and "wet" than traditional banana bread but I like that it's not overly sweet and is easier to digest.

3. Pumpkin Loaf: This recipe is not gluten free, but it does include large amounts of pumpkin and buttermilk. As such it calls of 2 tsps of both baking powder and baking soda so it can get enough lift and brown enough on the outside to not fall apart.

I started noticing the significant difference in the presence, amount, and combinations of baking powder and baking soda as I got more involved in baking the last ten years. Most of my GF recipes tend to use more eggs and more baking powder than their non GF counterparts. I was also surprised by the amount of baking soda in Irish soda bread. I thought it would have been higher, but now that I know how it operates I see that a little goes a long way.

No one I give it to cares. The banana bread has become my go-to GF gift for my celiac friends and everybody loves my pumpkin bread and eagerly awaits it each year. I get sugar pumpkins and roast them and make some many batches of bread and muffins for family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and teachers. My niece and nephew always put in requests for baked goods, and all three of these have made the list at some point lol.

I could not find the pics I took of the other three breads but I did find a pic of the "no soda bath quick soft pretzels" I made for my daughter's Carnival themed birthday party. They were delicious and so easy! I've made them twice now and no left overs. So the recipe has been added to the family recipe box. Definitely a keeper."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  5:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Canning Merit Badge!

"I attended a couple of food preservation classes through the extension service and bought a few books including the ball book of Home Preserving, The Complete Guide To pressure canning, Homegrown Pantry, Put Em Up, and a few others. The two primary methods for canning are water bath canning and pressure canning.

Water bath canning is used for preserving high acid recipes with a ph of 4.6 or lower. this includes James, pickles, and salsas. As high acidic foods they require water bath canning in water at boiling (212 degrees) in order to kill bacteria. The jars are placed on a jar rack in a large stock pot or a water bath pot. Water is added till its covers the jars by about an inch, and then set on the burner until it reaches boiling. Once it hits boiling the jars are boiled for a period time specified in the recipe.

Pressure canning requires a pressure canner and is utilized for recipes that are low acid with a ph of 4.6 or higher. This includes things like meat, vegetables (green beans, carrots), fruits, soups and stock, etc. The bacteria is killed off by the heat of the air which must reach temperatures of 250 degrees or higher, based on the food/recipe.

I looked through my pantry and selected three foods to review and determine their method of canning.

The canned green beans in water and salt are a low acid food. They were canned in tin. Thus they were canned using pressure canning.

The sweet and sour cabbage includes vinegar and is in a jar. So it was likely canned using water bath canning.

The last is chicken breasts in water preserved in a tin can. As another low acid food it was likely canned using a pressure canner.

I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of canning. I never realized it was going to be such a divisive subject. I have family members who water bath everything, but I personally don't feel comfortable taking that approach with low acid foods, especially as a beginner. I understand that many countries don't have access to pressure canners and that water bath canning was prevalent before electricity. But I am not comfortable taking risks with my family's health and safety. As I do more preserving my attitude may change, but for now it is my personal preference. I have no judgement on any approach. The key is that people are preserving food and preserving theses skills."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

"The most severe and most common food allergies, previously known as the big 8 but now the big 9 as of 2021 include (with stats of how many people have them):
Shellfish - 8.2million
Nilk - 6.1 million
Peanut 6.1million
Tree Nuts - 3.9 million
Eggs - 2.6 million
Fish - 2.6 million
Wheat - 2.4 million
Soy - 1.9 million
Sesame - 0.7 million

The USDA requires food labels include information about the ingredients that contain the above 9 food allergens, yet not all comply nor do they all identify cross contamination opportunities. In total, 160 foods have been identified as causing allergic reactions in sensitive adults.

According to the CDC, 8% of children and 11% of adults have food allergies. More than half of people with food allergies experience severe reactions such as anaphylaxis. 40% of people are allergic to more than one food.

Family and friends with food allergies:
My mother's side of the family has a genetic autominnue disorder that I and many of my cousins inherited. So there are lots of allergies not just to foods:

Myself: Shellfish and the Antibiotic Zythromicin cause anaphylaxis for which I carry an epipen and wear a med alert bracelet when I travel. My last ER visit was last year due to cross contamination. I am also allergic to corn, which gives me rashes and blisters, severe Psoriatic arthritis, hormonal issues, and is a migraine trigger along with alcohol. I also have a significant sensitivity to beef which sucks because I grew up on a dairy farm. My food allergies weren't diagnosed until my twenties.

I have several friends and family who have a wheat/gluten allergy: Stacey G, Cathy Q, and Jelene T (friends) and Sadie S, Raylene W, and Nicky S (cousins)

My cousins with milk allergies: Heather F and Sonnet F

People without food allergies don't realize how difficult life is for those of us who have them. There are still many people who think we are making it up. Those who believe us, still don't understand that cross contamination is a real issue and that many ingredients are derived from allergy-causing foods. The protein in the foods is what causes the allergic reactions and they remain in contact even after processing or cooking. There is also a myth that exposing someone to an allergen in small doses will build up their tolerance. In reality it increases the sensitivity and severity of each following reaction.

For my shellfish allergy I have had anaphylaxis due to people trying to give it to me thinking I was joking, due to cross contamination for a non shellfish food being fried in the same oil, from someone touching my beverage with shellfish on their hands, and from the steam of crawfish being boiled in the grocery store and at my in-laws house. The severe reaction to steam developed after my last ER visit. I have sat and watched people touch 10 surfaces after eating or preparing shellfish before they wash their hands. They don't realize I can't be in contact with it at all. I've even had two doctors prescribe me medications with ingredients I was allergic too. For example, glucosamine is prescribed for joint health but is derived from shellfish.

Corn is a very difficult one to avoid. It has gotten better since the campaign against high fructose corn syrup, but it's still very prevalent. Corn syrup is used as a sweetener in many foods. Food manufacturers even dehydrate honey and rehydrate with corn syrup. Corn starch is used as an anti-caking agent in many baking supplies and as a crisping agent for breaded foods like fish sticks. Maltodextrin and Erythritol are derived from corn.

My friends with celiac disease really struggle as wheat and its derivatives are very common. Because of my corn allergy, wheat based products are my safe bet, as most gluten free items have corn or other food allergens in them. Wheat gluten and wheat derivatives are often used as thickeners along with corn in things like sauces. So they don't just have to avoid bread. They too struggle with cross contamination. Most restaurants do not understand, train, and follow safe food allergy procedures. So there are very few places we can go out to eat. We have to bring our own foods to events and have to watch and make sure people don't take our food leaving us with no options. Life is rough for us folks with food allergies so be kind!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Green Energy Merit Badge!

"Our local electric and power company uses a combination of methods to generate electricity for our area. In addition to the traditional methods, they have also employed solar, hydro, and wind to generate electricity. Many of the local landowners will lease out a portion of their land to the electric company for solar power. The company also provides incentives to local homeowners who want to add wind or solar to their property.

Most energy is categorized as fossil fuels, alternative, and renewable. They can also be split into simply renewable and nonrenewable. All fossil fuels like coal, natural gas, and petroleum/oil are non renewable sources that must be extracted from a finite supply located in the earth. This brings along ecological concerns beyond their renewability, as the extraction methods often require strip mining and other practices that can have a negative impact on the environment as well as generate significant emissions/carbon footprint.

Alternative energy generally includes nuclear power which is also non renewable. Nuclear energy is created through nuclear fission of uranium. Uranium is in limited supply and is very difficult and expensive to extract, so it represents a small amount of energy sources.

Renewable energy sources have gained popularity over the years, though they still have many challenges in terms of expense, efficiency, and space. Solar is gaining ground in residential and commercial applications. However solar panels are quite bulky and expensive to install. Because of their size they are often deemed an eyesore or obtrusive in certain environments. Solar is also not the most efficient at generating and storing energy, however in South Texas where we get lots of sun it is a solid option for both homeowners and public works. The house I grew up in had a passive solar wall which was great in the winter time, and not an issue in the summer due to the tree cover and direction of the sun.

Wind energy is another one gaining in popularity, but is also very expensive and bulky to apply. Much of West and South Texas is dotted with oil fields and Wind farms. Often you will see massive trucks transporting rotors for the turbines, which obviously generates emissions and uses fossil fuel. Of course, growing up in farmland, windmills have always been around and were used as pumps for wells on many homesteads up until recently. We live in a pretty windy area, so plenty of wind to harvest but it is not practical for homestead of our size. I do know our power company employs some wind farms along with the solar.

Hydroelectric uses running water to generate electricity. At least one of our plants leverages this method along one of the tributaries out of us. Surprisingly, this method does have a significant impact on the riparian environment, even though it is on the low end in terms of emissions.

One type of energy not commonly discussed is biomass, or plant material. Biomass is an excellent way to lock carbon in the soil and create energy as it breaks down. However, as the most effective biomass processes are aerobic, they do generate emissions (though not at the level of oil) and they take up land, especially large facilities who produce at a commercial scale.

It's interesting to see how many different sources of energy our power company utilizes for being a small, rural utility. My in-laws just added solar to their home. It was insanely expensive and a bit of a process. It also had to be situated in a particular spot for maximum exposure. My husband is dead set against solar, but I would love to use it on our home. For now I have to resort to using solar lights and such in the garden. Hopefully as the technology improves and they continue to make less conspicuous, small, and more efficient solar panels the cost will come down and the aesthetic factor won't be an issue for my husband anymore. By the way, I found this really cool infographic during my research that I wanted to share. The source is in the disclosure at the bottom of the graphic. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Shopping Green Merit Badge!

"I have always collected reusable bags with the intent on using them, also they have some really cute ones out there.
The other day I went through all the bags I have in my garage. It’s a lot. I put them all together with a small cooler so that I will have them ready in my trunk for when I go to the grocery store.
I also have started setting aside some of them to put gifts in, instead of using paper gift bags.

Ok, when I go to the grocery I usually do a big haul, which means I need a lot of bags. #1- not all stores are reusable bag friendly. They don’t have space at the end of the check out belt for my bags. It made things awkward for bagging up items.
#2- my bags took up a lot of space in the cart. As the cart filled I ended up carrying the bags. Which made pushing the cart awkward.
**But, it was nice not coming home with a bunch of those thin plastic bags from the store and needing to find a place to put them.
**and, I have noticed that a couple stores have recycle bins for the thing plastic bags. I will be gathering up what bags I have and taking them into recycle next time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Get It Together Merit Badge!

"Starting in January, would take a couple days a week to clean out one or two items in the kitchen, whether that be a cabinet or the pantry or the fridge. Kept that up until I had successfully cleaned everything out. Organized every cabinet, assessed if everything was in the proper place and worked for me in my kitchen. Organized my spices. Purged anything that I had extras of or wasn’t using.

It’s still a work in progress. Every week as I'm doing my deep cleaning for the week, I am looking at the items that I touch or clean and ask "have I used this? Is it helpful or just taking up space?"

I not only have taken things to goodwill, but I have given things to other people that could us the item more than me and I have started putting some items into a tote for storage for my adult children for when they move out and want to start their own kitchen."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

"I have dealt with a number of bugs and pests in my garden over the years.
Identifying the good and bad ones was key.
Bad- hornworms
Japanese Beetle
Potato bug aka potato beetle
Cabbage worms

Good - of course the bees and butterflies
But did you know that ants and wasps are good too?!

There are many things to keep the good ones in and the bad ones out. Plant different plants together, keep your garden clean, cover plants like cabbage and broccoli. Keep the wasps and ants in the garden, they will actually eat some of the bad bugs and ant eat weed seeds. Who knew?! not me!

I’ve learned a lot about these bugs and look forward to implementing things I’ve learned in the garden

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

"I took the things that I have learned either by research or by experience and focused on improving my garden this year.

Last year I had problems with something eating my tomato plants. It was so bad that I thought deer were coming in at night and eating the tips of my plants off. Then one day I found the culprit. It was a hornworm. It was covered with this little white things that I thought were a part of his appearance. Come to find out they were wasp eggs and to leave them alone and the baby wasp would do all the work for me. So that’s what I did. Also I read that if you till the garden a couple time in between planting season that it decreases the larvae that live in the ground. So I did that too. So far no hornworms."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

"I have put together all my sewing stuff into one kit.

Not only do I have a "tomato" pin keeper but I also made one out of a small tin and some magnets. That way if I’m in a hurry I can just put the pin in the tin and know that the magnet will hold it.

It’s nice to have it all in one place.

I know how to do a straight stitch and I know the basics of my sewing machine, but I am excited to start using it more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Aprons Merit Badge!

"I saw a woman wearing an egg gathering apron on YouTube and wanted one of my own.

I searched YouTube for an tutorial, got my supplies together and made one.

I love it!!!! I made it from a pillow case. So all items were things I already had.

I use it when I got out to my chickens.

I have even gone on to make a “gathering” or “harvest” apron out of an old curtain. It has pretty much turned into my garden apron. I carry tools and gloves in it right now. But will definitely use it when I start to harvest food."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

"I have had chickens for 20 years. I have also raised meat rabbits before. I have learned how to take care of both for eggs and meat. I have bred both, incubated eggs and learned how butcher both for meat.
I no longer have rabbits, but will always have chickens.

This year I have focused a little more on “pampering” my chickens. Ways to not just keep them fed and healthy, but happy. My newest projects include fermenting their feed, (which they love!) and also adding things to their grazing space to give them some mental stimulation.

The attached photo is an upside down tomato cage that I put corn on. The metal of the cages kind of bounces up and down and the chickens have to peck at the corn. They love it!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

"I’m not good at journaling so I knew I would not keep up with this consistently if not prompted too. I purchased “The Contentment Journal” by Rachel Cruze. It’s a 90 day gratitude journal that prompts you every day to look at different aspects of your life and be grateful. Then after each 30 days you have a space to reflect.

Also, started reading the Book of Awesome every day.

I was surprised at some of the prompts in the contentment journal. I did not look ahead because I wanted to be surprised every day. It made me look inward a lot more than I expected. Maybe me be aware of how much I really have and how far I have actually come in life.

The book of awesome was a breath of fresh air. I’m a sucker for anything that gives me that nostalgia feel or makes you look at life in a different way. I giggled, or I was like “yes!! I’ve noticed that too.”
Very cute book. At least something to smile about every day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  6:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Jacque Felsheim (Mamasheim, #8294) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"Buttons, buttons, who’s got the buttons?!
Don’t know why that just popped in my head, but it did.
I have been collecting buttons as long as I have been crafting, about 20 years.

I don’t know why I collect them. I hardly ever use them. But I am drawn to them. When I see old ones in an antique store or see a stash of them at a thrift store, or if someone has buttons they want to give away; I will take them. And they are all separated in jars by color.

Just looking at them all makes me want to do something with them. It makes me feel bad that they’re just sitting there taking up space, not a part of something creative and beautiful.
So the next time I sew or crochet something I will consider whether or not I can use one of my buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Stacey Mitchell(#6969) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"I have always enjoyed history even as a teenager. History was my favorite subject in high school. I got on the internet to read, and write down each question and answer to help me learn more about each question. I tried to put myself back in the time when these different laws, the declaration, rules, amendments where created.

I'm glad that I wrote these down. It makes it easier for me to see it visually in my writing. I especially feel that it is essential to know about this even more now with the election coming up."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

"I investigated different methods for dehydrating food. I dehydrated 3 different Types of produce for use later on. I made a dish for my family using a combination of my dehydrated and frozen produce.

I found out that there are different ways to dry food. Using the sun is one way. There are indoor ways to dry food, using an oven or a dehydrator. I dehydrated celery, tomato skins, and bay leaves. I made a soup using those three items and included frozen zucchini and elk in the mix, too! It was awesome!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Birds Merit Badge!

"I set up my yard to attract birds. I have a feeding station, bird houses, and several bird baths. I watched and identified the types of birds that I attracted to my yard.

I have feeders, bird houses, and several bird baths in my backyard. The birds that this area has attracted are amazing! They love the food and drinking from and playing in the fountains. I have not seen them use the houses, but they have sat on them. The birds that we have attracted so far are Black Phoebes, Grackles, House finches, Anna's hummingbirds, American Crows, Scrub Jays, Mourning Doves, pigeons, European Starlings, and a juvenile Cooper's Hawk!

The Hawk spent 45 minutes bathing and playing in the birdbath! It was amazing to see the bird so close. . .about 25-30 feet away from us! My husband and I are really enjoying birdwatching in our backyard!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  4:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"I tackled a more difficult project by crafting something for our property. We spent more than twenty hours working on it.

My husband and I built a gazebo in our backyard. It took us three days to finish it as we were working on it with our crew of two (my husband and I make a great team!). We are enjoying it so much! We have added furniture and a fire table. We are glamping it up and having a great time doing it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2024 :  4:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

"I researched a breed, making discoveries about its origin and history. I also read, The Soul of a Horse, by Joe Camp and checked out his website.

I researched the Morgan Horse. I found out that this breed was one of the earliest American breeds. The foundation sire of this breed was Figure. He was later renamed Justin Morgan after his best known owner. He was bred with Narragansett Pacer mares (now an extinct breed). In 1907, the U.S. Morgan horse farm was started by the Government to perpetuate the breed. In 1951, the farm was transferred to the Vermont Agricultural Farm which became the University of Vermont. I found out that the Morgan Horse is the state animal of Vermont, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 529 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page