Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 529

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - May 29 2024 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Bowman (HistoryGirl17, #8644) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"Gathered all of my favorite letter writing supplies into one area in my office. They were previously scattered here and there.

Feels good to have everything in one place, and I’ll be more apt to put pen to paper now!"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - May 29 2024 :  3:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Lily-anne Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

"The most unfamiliar food dish I've tried in my life is lamb heart. I'm not a picky eater - I like most food but I don't like lamb heart. I don't like unusual food. My favourite exotic food is dropies (a dutch candy). I picked out Greek cuisine to taste. We shopped for the ingredients - cucumber, feta cheese, tomatoes.

It was fun to research and look up recipes for the intermediate badge."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - May 29 2024 :  3:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Lily-anne Hein (GinghamGirl, #6071) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate Palate Pleasers Merit Badge!

"We made a meal together for our siblings, there were 13 of us in total. I made Greek salad and Greek new year cake for dessert. Others made Greek chicken and Greek potatoes. We discussed unusual food.

It turned out great! We all really liked the Greek food."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - May 29 2024 :  3:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Green Energy Merit Badge!

"First, I contacted Duke Energy-my energy supplier-to find out how the electricity that ends up at my house is generated. The customer service representative wasn't very helpful and suggested I do a Google search for that information. I followed her suggestion, and I found an EPA website that allows you to input your zip code to find out how your electricity is generated. According to the EPA, the electricity in my "grid" comes from: natural gas (40%), nuclear power (39%), coal (11%), solar power (6%), biomass (2%), hydropower (1%), and other non-specified sources (1%). I also wrote up a post on the Farmgirl Connection where I compared and contrasted various renewable and nonrenewable energy resources.

I got a little annoyed at the customer service I got when asking Duke Energy where my energy comes from (waiting on hold for a while before being told to look it up myself online), but I found the information I needed anyway via the EPA. I taught renewable and nonrenewable energy resources as part of my school district's science curriculum for many years, so I just had to type up what I already knew for the second part of the merit badge requirements."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2024 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Maverin Dei (MaverinDei, #8653) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"Using a metal box I got from Ikea and various materials I already had, I assembled a small letter-writing box, including wax seal supplies and a candle and lighter to utilize them.

I'm glad to have everything together, especially because I focused on gathering things I've had the longest. This way I can focus on putting forgotten paper and envelopes to good use."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Chapman (JenniferAnn, #8562) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

"I found it interesting to read about the difference between grass-fed beef and corporate raised beef on the website Eatwild.com.
It has not changed my mind about the meat I eat, as we purchase organic meat and do look for grass fed beef (we don't eat much beef anyways!). But we don't buy farm raised fish for example. I enjoyed reading the details and being refreshed on beef - how a number of ranchers stopped sending their animals to feedlots and instead kept them home to grow naturally and at their own pace. Low stress lifestyles also contribute to not needing antibiotics. They have less fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and calories as well as more vitamins and better fats. When farmers raise great grass, great beef follows as an end product. Corporate raised animals in confinement creates many problems all around - animal stress and abuse, unnecessary use of drugs, pollution, low paid and stressful farm work and sadly the loss of small family farms. I work very hard to give business to small family farms where I live! Animals are stressed too from eating the grain products and not plants and shrubs like they should be eating.

I loved this website and will be bookmarking it to refer to in the future.

I did look up organic beef importance online, which is similar to what eatwild.com has to say. Highlights - better on environment, no GMOs used, and all feed and water to the animals is organic.

I will continue to purchase organic meat and will SPECIFICALLY look for grass fed. I have bookmarked eatwild.com and am reading through the drop down menu items when I have some free time to read at my computer."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

"My friend Rea #8284 and I went camping in Napa California back in October 2023.
We brought lots of crafts to keep us busy including a spinning wheel. We did our cooking outdoors using Mary Jane's organic meals.

It was fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  12:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

"My friend Rea #8284 and I got to stay in a Yurt cabin. It was unique and different. We also pitched a small tent for fun.

The camp site was surrounded by poison oak so we did not go hiking. We did go see a natural geyser that erupts every hour.

We had a great weekend."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  1:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Fischer (BlessedinColorado, #1582) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"I joined the April Mail Art Swap, the theme was Geometric. I made a DoDecaHeDron little hanging.
This was a bit tough for me to come up with something but I did. It was not my best but my partner was gracious in her praise and hung it in her kitchen window.
The theme for May was Language. Another tough one but after a few days and finding out MaryJane was my partner, even though I was a bit intimidated I chose Language of Friends/Friendship. And made an accordion journal.

The Geometric one turned out okay but not my best work. Quite a challenge.
The Language Journal turned out truly better than I hoped and I was pleased with the outcome. It made Maryjane smile and happy. So that makes me happy.
These were the first two Mail Art pieces I have ever made, they were quite a challenge as I am not really creative sometimes. I do not have an imagination like a I used too.
But, I will continue with the Mail Art projects are a good challenge for me and I will try to do them the best way I can."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  2:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner First Aid Merit Badge!

"I have a multitude of first aid kits. People even gift me with them! I have a wonderful kit for hiking in the mountains. I went through all the kits, checked expiration dates and products needed or not. I then resupplied each kit with current use items and added items I felt would be needed. I now have first aid kits in both cars and one in each of my husband's trucks. They are packed in snap-lid plastic boxes for safe keeping. I have a small kit in the kitchen (which is next to the bathroom) and have told my husband where it is. It includes burn cream. I restocked the bathroom kit to include fresh bandaids, bandages and first aid cream. The Red Cross First Aid book is with the kit in a large zipper bag and easily accessible.
I cleaned (!) and checked the fire extinguisher which is located in the kitchen near the stove. It is now on a sticky note in my planner and I check it on the 14th of EVERY month (dust it, too).
We have smoke alarms on all 3 levels of our home and they are on a task list to change batteries every March. My husband showed me how to disassemble them and change batteries (I once ripped one off the ceiling by accident).

I had not really paid much attention to the fire extinguisher and was glad to get it cleaned up and regularly check to make sure it is adequately charged (in the green zone) for use.
I actually had fun checking, resupplying and creating the first aid kits. I especially feel better knowing Bob's kits are all replenished."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  2:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate First Aid Merit Badge!

"My husband and I both took the CPR course that was sponsored by our church on June 29,2019. That expired in June of 2021. Due to Covid we were unable to renew our CPR certificate. Finally we were able to take the course, again sponsored by our church, on March 18, 2023 with renewal date of March 2025.
Since my husband had had a heart attack in 2014, we felt it crucially important to take this training. We also encouraged a young farmer with 6 teenagers to take it in 2023 as well. Hopefully, he will be able to convince one or more of them to take it the next time.

I cannot express how much peace it gives me to know I can help someone in this way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  2:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Maverin Dei (MaverinDei, #8653) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"I read the Art of the Personal Letter by Margaret Shepherd and sent five family members/friends letters wishing them well and asking if they'd like to be my new pen pal.

The book was a really relaxing read for me and I recommend it to anyone who likes the way Marie Kondo writes. They give off similar energies in their voices. I finished way before I planned to.

Writing letters to everyone was a good time. While I'm positive that none of them will write back, I hope they get a smile out of receiving mail that isn't bills or junk."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  2:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Bowman (HistoryGirl17, #8644) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner Get It Together Merit Badge!

"I have converted all of my storage containers to glass. They are all in one cabinet along with any lids that go with them.

It's nice having everything in one place without a bunch of mismatched lids. Having glass containers is less wasteful as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert Music Merit Badge!

"The sounds of a harp in a quartet always has such a celestial sound.
In researching the harp I discovered that there are two types of harps. Pedal harps and non pedal harps.
Pedal harps are the type used in the orchestra. This type weighs between 60 and 100 pound and can cost up to $20,000.
Events that I attended were the Samantha Murray harpist concert and the Music of the Vocals and string ensemble event at the university.
The Acapella chorus preformed at our local Earth Day celebration.

I love living in my town with the university. This town offers a variety of entertainment. This summer they have Wednesday night music in the park - one of my favorite summer events."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2024 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

"Last fall my friend Candy and I went on a getaway weekend. Left the kids, husbands, and the noise of the city behind.
It was a fun weekend - went and saw the geyser and a wonderful museum, and hiked around the town. Couldn't use the hiking trails because they were full of poison oak. But camping in the outdoors with friends is always fun.

Great time and a great setting but had to be careful of all the poison oak!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Birds Merit Badge!

"We took our family vacation to Hot Springs Village and Little Rock Arkansas. We stayed in a house on the lake and hiked the trails nearby for bird spotting. We also visited a nature museum along the river in Little Rock. Over several days I spotted several species of birds, many of which are not common where I live in Texas. I bought a birding journal at the museum and wrote down the species I encountered. I used my Audubon app to help identify birds as well as see what sightings were in the area.

I saw some beautiful birds I haven’t seen before! I struggled to get photographs, but I was able to observe the following:

Scarlet Tanager
Tufted Titmouse
Mallard
Brown Thrasher
Mourning Dove
Blue Jay
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Carolina Chickadee
Eastern Bluebird
Acadian Flycatcher
Northern Cardinal"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

"I have been using lead free garden hoses for years, and avoid irrigation which breaks easily and often. I rely on rainwater and soil building techniques mainly.

For painting garden projects, I have two different paints I use that are better for the environment. For smaller projects like benches I use mineral fusion paint. It’s eco friendly and very hardy. For larger projects I use a low VOC exterior paint that is chip resistant. Both are water based.

I’ve looked at a couple of living fence options. I recently listened to a podcast that used fruit trees for pleaching. They kept them pruned to eight feet high. It allowed them to have a privacy screen and produce food in a small space. I also saw something called a Fedge which is a fence built with fallen twigs and limbs. I may try both techniques.

I’ve been composting since we moved here three years ago. I have two compost bins. I also did banner compost (compost in place) until I got my new dog. She kept digging it up!

I’ve painted several items with the fusion paint and low VOC paint and they have held up very well. I’ve built a couple of pollinator beds with the compost I made in the bins and revitalized a few veggie beds that were useless after I received a bad badge of soil. All beds are doing well and I have another couple of wheel barrows of compost almost ready to spread in the fall and my first batch of aged chicken manure and straw from the coop."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

"One common problem in gardens in this area are tomato hornworms. Most organic gardeners hand pick and squish them. Some use BT. In researching solutions I came across several sources stating that tansy was proven to help repel hornworms when companion planted with tomatoes. I already plant basil and marigolds next to tomatoes but they weren’t useful in repelling the hornworms. So last season I ran an experiment. I planted tansy in one tomato bed but not the other two. The hornworms quickly found the tomatoes without the tansy. I was handpicking several at a time. For months, the other tomato bed remained hornworm free. So this spring I planted lots of tansy, basil, and marigolds near the tomatoes, and I haven’t seen a single hornworm!

I was surprised by how well it worked! And it’s pretty hardy all summer up until last frost. I’m adding tansy to my seed starting list every spring now. Now on to the next garden problem to solve!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

"To learn how to save seeds, I purchased a book from seed savers exchange and two others. I also watched several videos on saving seeds from common garden plants such as tomatoes, squash, and flowers. I was surprised to learn about isolation ranges in order to ensure varieties don’t cross breed and hybridize. That significantly reduced the number of varieties I could plant at a time and/or what types of plants I could save seeds from at all. Squash and zinnias have expansive ranges so I am not able to plant multiple varieties if I want to save seeds. Beans only have ranges of 10-20 feet and tomatoes roughly 30 feet, so I am able to save those along with my hibiscus rosella and blue butterfly.

I planted my favorite heirlooms this year and tried a few more. This included Waltham butternut, blue butterfly, roselle, and heirloom carrots. I tried some heirloom tomatoes this year instead of the hybrids that are offered locally. I bought two heirloom plants and started two other varieties from seed. The homestead tomato plants were the only ones to produce. The Eva purple ball and romas I started from seed really struggled to get going. I did some research and believe I should have waited before transporting them from the seed starting room to the greenhouse. It was an unusually cold spring so our heat loving varieties struggle.

I planted calypso/orca beans again which are a Caribbean heirloom that loves our heat and humidity. I saved seeds from the calypso last year and replanted. I also planted hales best cantaloupe, an heirloom sugar watermelon, and several heirloom varieties of radish.

It was a tough season in the garden all around. Weird weather, an onslaught of black wooly caterpillars, and a wily gopher made this the least productive spring I’ve had in a while. I made my first attempt at saving tomato seeds, but I’m not sure I did it right. The fermenting part wasn’t working like they said it would and they don’t look like the seeds in the packets. I’m going to try to start them for my fall garden as an experiment. Here in zone 8b we start our fall seeds in July.

I included a picture of the calypso beans and heirloom Italian beans I saved from last spring. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

"Raw honey is honey extracted from the comb. Processed honey is treated with heat and purified to remove yeast and bacteria that can impact shelf life. Processed honey is also clarified to achieve a consistent texture and color. Some honey is mixed with other ingredients, or dehydrated and rehydrated with things like corn syrup. I’m highly allergic to corn and learned that some products with “honey” in the name were doing this.

Although processed honey does have some of the health benefits, raw honey contains higher concentrations of antioxidants and vitamins. This is because many are destroyed by the heat in the pasteurization process. Raw honey also contains bee pollen and other beneficial items that increase its healing properties.

I just got my first bee hives in May, so I won’t have my own raw honey till next year. There are several local beekeepers including the one I purchased my hives from. So I get my honey from him. It does crystallize faster but I find the flavor better. I bought a book on making herbal remedies with honey and am looking to try a headache remedy and a sore throat remedy using other ingredients from the herb garden.

Natures Little Wonders is a cute book. I also read the Backyard Beekeeper, The Beekeepers bible, and just purchased Natural Beekeeping. I also took a class with the extensions service and have a beekeeper who is mentoring me.

It’s been enlightening learning about beekeeping and honey bees, as well as native bees. I’ve also been fascinated by beekeeping and LOVE honey. I’m still nervous, but excited to see where my beekeeping journey takes me. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Water Management Merit Badge!

"I may have mentioned before that I owned a landscape company for 10 years and was a licensed irrigator, Master gardener, and certified Grow Green landscaper. During my training I learned that roughly 30% of water loss when watering with traditional sprinklers or hoses is due to evaporation. Additional water loss occurs due to run off, especially in clay soils, or due to excessive drainage such as in sandy soils. Traditional sprinklers dump large amounts of water at once in short spurts, which means much of it isn’t absorbed by the soil.

Drip irrigation is kept at or below the soil surface, which eliminates water loss due to evaporation. It also emits water at a slow and steady pace over a longer period of time. This ensures that the soil is thoroughly soaked. It also is a deep water method that promotes deeper roots away from the top inch of soil, which is where evaporation also can occur, especially if mulch isn’t applied. I personally don’t like drip irrigation because it’s bulky and in the way and the emitters get clogged easily. I don’t use any irrigation on my property at all. Just rain water and supplemental hand watering if needed.

There are several rain water collection and management systems. Terrain based strategies include dry creeks, rain gardens, bioswales, and ponds. There are also a number of rain collection systems that use rain gutters as well as those that are freestanding. Many of the terrain based options work well in clay or loamy soil. We are on pure sand. So in order to build a pond we would need to put in a liner. I am exploring the possibility of doing that at some point. We don’t have run off since our soil percolates the water thru so fast. We never have puddles after rain.

That is why I’ve been using other methods on our property. I am using the lasagna mulch and chop and drop methods to build up the soil organic matter and structure. I’ve planted numerous drought tolerant natives and have let the native grass grow, this has significantly helped reduce erosion as well as added absorbent organic matter. I use straw in the veggie garden and lots of leaf litter and natural wood mulch from the property. I’ve got gutters and rain barrels on the potting shed and am adding them to the greenhouse and main house. If I do need to water, I do so early morning or later evening to reduce evaporation and ensure absorption. The raised beds were built with hugelkulture methods, and are very good at holding water.

Now that I am in year three at my property I can see a huge difference. The once barren desert has lots of healthy plants. I hardly ever water, except in extreme drought conditions or when installing new plants. The areas where I have built up organic matter stay moist for a long time, even in extreme heat. The rain barrels collect enough that I can also water the potted plants easily without ever dragging out the hose. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate First Aid Merit Badge!

"I earned this badge by enrolling in a first aid class and talking about the importance of this on the chatroom with my Farmgirl Sisters

This badge turned out good because I am required to do this class at work, so it worked out good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

"I earned this merit badge by raising bees for over 2 years, harvesting honey and sharing it. I helped harvest the honey with my husband and shared on merit badge chit chat.

This badge was so interesting as we watched many videos on processing honey. Without spending a fortune on equipment we processed honey using a strainer, buckets, a wooden press and a water jug with a spigot for pouring. We even separated wax to use for cutting boards and making candles. Very fun but a sticky mess!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

"I planted Lavender which I love the smell of it, Sunflower for the first time and hoping to get some seeds from it, Chives to use in recipes, and I planted a bunch of wildflower mixed plants. All are growing great and hopefully will see some bees around them soon. I read the book "Secret Life of Bees" and it was a good book. I bought the movie to watch but not as good as the book.

This turned out good. Like I said I'm hoping to see bees by the plants soon and I'm hoping to harvest some too later this fall for my own purposes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

"Raw honey is very good for you. It can carry harmful bacteria so babies should not have it. Processed honey is less nutritious but can still have health benefits. I bought a small honey bear jar from a reliable vender that make their own honey, all raw, so good I bought 2 qt. jars to last through the summer. I read the book "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" and it was good. I didn't realize that there were so many different species of bees. WOW! Interesting to read about how they watched them in their hives and record all the thigs they did in their short life span.

It turned out great. Learned a lot about bees that I had no idea that they had so many different types of jobs in the hive with very specific workers for each job."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 529 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page