junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile
I need some help! My dog Lou, a English Mastiff that we rescued about 6 yrs. ago has all of a sudden got into a very destructive mood whenever we leave the house. In the last month it's happened 4 times now, today being the latest when he tore into our bedroom door to get the bed to tear it up. We leave our door shut when we leave so he won't get on the bed. He's done this 3 times now, we've had to replace the door, he's tearing up the carpet in front of the door and even the trim? I don't know what has gotten into him? He's been the best dog we've ever had! I'm frantic, our house is up for sale, with a offer pending the sale for hers and we can't afford to replace the carpet at this point! Does anyone know why a normally good dog would start acting like this? He is a house dog, we live on a major highway with no fenced in area for him, just a lead, but he won't stay outside all day either? Help!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest buying a metal wire crate and crate training him, especially since you can't afford to have more destruction done to your house. Maybe take him for longer walks? It sounds like he is reacting to something stressful, maybe the vibes from the move are impacting him? Have there been lots of strangers coming in and out, or maybe you have been busier than normal?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, Sue, it sounds like he's feeling the stress of the impending sale, also. Dogs are SO dedicated to structure and "the same" and he probably feels like he's being overlooked. Our shepherd does the same things, usually when she hasn't been on a ride in a week or so. She thinks it's her birthright to ride in the car. Maybe make some "together" time with him--take him to the park, on a ride, what have you. He'll probably start shaping up.

Wishing you luck!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls,both good ideas but easier said than done. Lou is a 200 pd. mastiff that he could probably break out of a crate. He's too strong for me to take for walks, more the other way around, but hubby does on weekends when there is more time. Yes, we have had alot of strangers come through the house and we have to put him out to do so, since he's so big and lick happy!lol We have been busier and away more too? My first thought was stress related and he is jealous when the grandkids come over too? Keep the ideas coming and thanks to all!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:01:11 PM  Show Profile
I agree with both Alee & Jonni, Sue. Spend as much time with his as you can, and kennel him when you can't. I NEVER thought I'd kennel a dog, but my boxer & bull terrier are both inclined to chew & destroy when bored/distressed/alone. We broke down & bought a kennel to use when we're away from the house, and the dogs are fine with it. Plus, you can give him something "legal" to chew on while he's cooped up.

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The crates that are big enough for Great Danes/Mastifs should be strong enough to handle him- especially if you gave him a cow leg or something to chew on while crated.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  1:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! And douse your carpet and door and such with Bitter Apple. Most dog's won't chew on Bitter Apple treated items because it is so icky tasting.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine was having a similar problem with her Newfie and she called her vet who told her that the dog was having anxiety issues. They put him on Prozac for a few weeks and he was fine. It's probably due to the stress of moving....they just seem to know when something up.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  2:27:27 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the crate training. My house dogs are all crate trained and they love it. Dogs see it as their den, so I doubt your dog would try to get out. My dogs open the door and go in themselves to take naps. I don't even have to say anything to get them to go in when I need to lock them up- I just grab a treat and off they run.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I plan to crate train my new pup when I get her. My bassets are never a problem..but I had a red bone coon hound years ago that was affectionally named "Jake the furniture eating dog". I tried so hard to keep him..he was a neurotic mess..just fine as long as he was with me...but the minute he was alone he was on search and destry or escape mode. I didn't know about crate training back then..wish I would have.
Your poor guys is no doubt stressed with the move coming. They can tell. I hate moving too..I can relate!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  7:27:32 PM  Show Profile
hi! We have 3. English Mastiffs that are all inside dogs and our house is less than 700 square feet!!! I disagree with crating a dog, especially one as large as a mastiff but that is another issue. I think that will make the problem worse. One of our dogs suffers from separation anxiety disorder and has similar issues. We live in the country and can put our dogs outside when we are not home and that helps. We have not medicated hagrid but medications are available through your vet if you think it is necessary. I have a few suggestions. Give lou some toys that are okay to chew. Our dogs each have big teddy bears that they can chew. None of them have faces anymore but the dogs don't care! Try not to make a big deal about leaving lou (don't smother him with kisses right before leaving) and don't act all excited to see him when you come home. Just come in and "ignore" him for about 20 minutes then interact with him like you would any other time. Dogs can sense axiety in people so he may sense you nervosness about leaving him. There are many things that can cause this

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  7:34:07 PM  Show Profile
oops hit the wrong button! Anyway you mentioned you were selling your house. If you have had a lot of new people coming in and looking this may upset lou. Also if you have change you routine or started throwing stuff away or packing than this may really upset him. It sounds like you have several possible triggers. The bitter apple stuff may help but Hagrid has never seemed to avoid this. Another possibility is to get a pet for Lou! I am serious! We got a cat and Hagrid loves it! They sleep together and everything! Course when they are outside Hagrid chases the cat and the cat will hiss at him but inside its all love! Email ms if you want to talk more! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  7:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I hate to go "un-natural" but this really helped with our dog, a Chesapeake Lab. Benadryl. The over the counter type. We were selling the house and all of a sudden he started being "bad". Peeing in corners, tearing up stuff etc. The closer we got to actually moving, the worse he got. The benadyrl isn't addictive and he would stay calm. Once we moved and he found his own spot, he was fine.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  8:09:32 PM  Show Profile
BE careful about Benedryl because it can cause blood pressure to skyrocket. If your dog has any heart issues like heart worms or anything this can cause problems!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile
WOW!! Many thanks to all, what wonderful responses, you guys are the best! We can't afford a crate that big, or a kennel. Lou is about 7 yrs. old and very set in his ways, he doesn't play with toys anymore and has to be a only dog, when we rescued him, he was a kennel dog that no one wanted because of his behavoir, but ever since we've had him, he's been wonderful, the magic of TLC changed this dog. Not sure to what degree his behavoir was, I do know, that one foster family actually put him in a pen with goats when they left for work, you can guess what happened to the goats. We were told that he would have to be a only pet, he doesn't even like squirrles in the yard! lol So, getting a pal for Lou is out. I don't like the idea of medicating him either? Yes, we've had many people come in and look at the house, as late as last week, and I have to put him out to do so. I've also noticed how jealous he is when the grandkids come over too. I really think it's stress related due to the move, but it's stressing me out with all the damage I have to fix or hide before anyone can see the house. Julie, 3 mastiffs in a small house, my goodness! I wish I could just put Lou out when I leave, but can't do that either? Thanks again, all posts are very helpful! You guys are the best!!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Usually if they don't play with toys, they will still chew on bones- could you maybe get a nice bone from the butcher or even a pet store to occupy his time? Is there a cement floored room that you could confine him to for a short period of time when you are away? Maybe make it nice an cozy with his bed and yummy treats and bones?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  1:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I wish we had a concrete floored room for him I came home yesterday to find the hall closet door tore up, he clawed or chewed his way through it like the first one, tore up the carpet again and just made a mess! I don't know how much more of this I can take! I could handle it alot better if the house wasn't on the market and we had a offer on it, but we do! We finally changed him to a old shed this morning so we could go to church, I was worried the whole time thinking the worse when we got home. This will only work when my hubby is home, he's just too strong for me to take him out there when I have to leave him. Now, I"m stressed out, all I could do yesterday after his latest attack was cry! If this keeps up, I"m afraid we may have to find him a good home with a fenced yard?

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  2:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue-

I wouldn't give up on him yet, especially since I am sure this is a temporary situation, but I am sure you know what is best for your family.

At our pet store there is something called pet-ease. Basically it is aromatherapy for dogs. You plug in this little contraption to a wall socket (Like glade Plug-ins) and put in the cartridge. It emits a soothing scent and I think calming pheromones. I can't quite remember.

Also maybe you could build a kennel outside? It might be cheaper than fencing a whole backyard, but would give you a safe way to leave him without having to worry about destruction when you come back. If you do this- I would suggest pouring a cement slab so that he couldn't dig out.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee, I"ll check out pet shop for something soothing! If I had the money a kennel might be a way to go but since the house is almost sold that's out of the question, but in the next house, yes! Something! I don't want to give him up, he's been the best dog we've ever had and this behavoir has just started in the last couple of weeks, so we will see?

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  9:31:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee--I know it's sooo frustrating, but don't give up on him yet, Sue. This is temporary, and you've already said he's a very sensitive boy.

Alee has a great idea--I'd totally forgotten about that Pet Ease. We used it at the shelter because it's such a frantic environment and saw great improvement.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  03:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Try turning on a radio while you are away

Get some bones from the butcher and some boxes that your dog can tear apart. Try anything to "enrich" him and might give him something to do.

And buy a crate anyway. Sounds like the cost to replace your house things could have already been spared w/ a crate.

From Care-a-Lot Pet supply, a crate the size you need costs 139.00 and an outdoor kennel is 169.00.

I feel your pain. My dog has shredded a corner of our couch, table legs and a section of our bedroom door. She also likes to shred her bed. All typical of a dog who needs a job and who wasn't given enough exercise. On days when I'm home and can get her outside for 2 or more hours, there's never a problem. Such is the price for dogs who have high energy demands and like "doing " things.

You might also look into the proteine (SP) content of the food your dog is eating and find one w/ a lower percentage. Our zoo animals get destructive when its cold and they can't get outside and yet some keepers toss more food which = more energy to burn.

So sorry

And when you come home and find the mess, don't scold! The dog has already done his damage and can't link his past behavior to what you have to deal w/ upon arrival.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  05:58:03 AM  Show Profile
I'll be looking for that pet ease, do they have people ease too! LOL Oh, I have some lavender for that! lol Thank you all so much!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  06:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This might be an odd suggestion, but I used to have allergies that made me A-N-G-R-Y. Have you changed his food at all lately or some other chemical in the house? My vet recommends Benedryl for allergies if might be a temporary thing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Watch Cesar Millan's show "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic channel, 276 & he'll most likely suggest that you walk him, walk him, walk him. 30 - 45 minutes every day. Cesar has a book out called "Be the Pack Leader". When we understand that dog's aren't human and we can't use human psychology on their behaviors, it will begin to be clear what the cause of his behavior is. Cesar advocates exercise, discipline, then affection. Most people do the affection w/o the exercise and the discipline. It's easy to understand when you see his show or read his book what I mean, but it's difficult to explain here. He also says that dogs need rules, boundaries, and limitations. Most of the behavior problems dogs have are completely the result of the owner, (no offense) and he explains it by saying that dogs respond appropriately only to calm, assertive leadership or they will dominate, be destructive and have behavior problems because that leadership isn't present & the dogs (psychological) needs aren't being met. It's what's involved in the leadership that is a bit complicated. It means waking up in the morning with the attitude that you are the pack leader and the dog is the follower. That means you need to provide what the dog needs in order to be a healthy dog...exercise, discipline, affection, rules, boundaries, and limitations. Then the dog can give what is need from them. We must see them as a dog with a dog's understanding, not a human with human behaviors & human understanding of what we expect from them. Cesar is phenomenal in his ability to almost immediately change a bad behavior in a dog, because he teaches how to see the dog as a dog and use the type of discipline that dogs understand. If there was ever a method that will help, it's Cesar Millan's methods. His methods can definately help you when you understand what a dog's real needs are.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I can attest to Cesar's techniques. They DO work. It is just us being human & having a hard time following through(this is me sometimes) but when I do what Cesar says, it always works.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  6:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Rescue Remedy by Bach, available at your local health food store and some drug stores. It will calm many pets with anxiety, fears and other situations. Drops can be given directly or in their water. I know of one dog who went ballistic during thunderstorms or fireworks and this calmed him to where they were not an issue.
Worth a try and not too pricey. If he were a toddler, we'd say he was "acting out" :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad Dog Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page