Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Diet pills for dogs????? What next????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Diet pills for dogs????? What next???? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My bff Susan just brought me an ad she tore out of Southern Living magazine. It's for a new drug called 'Slentrol' and is a diet drug for dogs. It's FDA approved and has possible side affects including: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, constipation and dehydration. The list of warnings and bad side effects is as long as the page(on the back of the ad). The oddest sentence(to me) states that the dog can lose weight without you feeling like you're being 'harsh'. Does anybody else think this is crazy? You can only get this stuff through a vet. And the trial it's based on only included 88 in the control group and 170 on the drug.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is crazy! Whatever happened to measuring your dogs food or just snapping on a leash and going for a walk?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree this is totally silly. My darling Emmaline, put on a little weight after her last litter, and so she has been spending more time away from the food bowl, and longer outside running around. She has already started sliming back down. It can be hard though when you have 6 kids who feel the poor sad doggies need treats and snacks, LOL.
Amy

My Blog
http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Amore Schnauzers
http://amoreschnauzers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:00:33 PM  Show Profile
I think people and their pets just need to get out and run around more!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  5:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh holy moley (and I'm using those terms instead of..ahem* OTHER words I could use here). That is just ridiculous, and only LESS ridiculous than the fact that it probably cost a whole heck of a lot of MONEY to come up with this "wonder" drug. Money that could probably be used elsewhere. Now I've heard everything (or at least I hope I have)!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Gosh - this is wayyyyy out of hand. The Today show was all about pets this morning, and there is now a craze of kidnapping dogs! Especially the pricey ones. They showed burglars chasing little puppies all over a house (by secret camera) trying to catch and steal them! Good grief. It was actually kind of funny to watch. Guys with stocking pulled over their faces diving for running puppies! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm....well, I've heard of people stealing dogs to sell to labs as experimental animals....that's been around for awhile now...which is just sick and pathetic. Some people are REALLY messed up!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  8:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My sister had her Chihuahua stolen from their yard. She was adorable and very sweet, purebred and worth a decent amount. It's really sad that people are doing this.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  05:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Sounds more like they want us to use our pets as guinea pigs than to help them. Such a small study trial. Before you know it, humans will be taking it. Like with human prescriptions, are the side effects worth getting rid of one problem... then you have to take more to counter those. The pharm. co's love this. More $ in their pockets. Like you have said... take your pets outside & walk, we might get more healthy too.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  8:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
When I read the very fine print concerning the side effects, it seems that animals died during the study. They try to blow it off by saying that one of the dogs died 'two days after the study ended'. And when they stated that cats should under no circumstances by give this drug, there was a statement about a specific medical problem that would/could ensue that would kill a cat. If they didn't test it on a cat, how would they know that?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  8:46:35 PM  Show Profile
sheesh, just turn the dog out into the yard and say "run baby run!" that will work every time. And good grief..society anymore seems to want the pop a pill quick fix huh?" yi-yi-yi!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Diet pills for dogs????? What next???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page