junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I'm able to stay home with him today so maybe some extra one on one will help. And hopefully after the time change we can walk him daily so hopefully that will help too. I'll keep you posted and keep the tips coming in, I'm saving them all!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
sue,

I was able to stay home w/ my dog today too. I'll be off 'till Saturday.

it was interesting watcing Jas tear into her bed this a.m.

I was in the kitchen and she had free range of the house, but chose to go back to her bed. She has toys in there and started pawing at a ball. In a few minutes, she was pawing at the foam in the bed, making a nest in the torn cover and generally looked thoroughly into it. She knew I was watching from time to time and after just a few minutes, walked back out of her kennel and went to her other bed and proceded to gnaw a rawhide.

I had to leave around 9, so I gave her a piece of cheese placed in a small cereal box tucked into an oat canister.

About halfway up the highway, I realized I had left a garbage bag on the floor by the front door.

Happy to report, the boxes were shredded and there was no trash anywhere. She left her bed alone too.

Thankfully Jasmine never had been into "dunpaster diving", but if she had, it plainly would have been my fault.

I thought of you immediately and wondered what state I would find the house. Looked like I caught Jas in the middle of a nap too when the door opened.

I sure hope you can figure something out for Lou!

Personally, when people give up their dogs due to a behavior problem, I often wonder how much the people really try to work with the dog to understand from a canine's perspective.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Anna! I never thought I'd ever consider giving him up, but all this destrustive behavior and jealous little snaps at the grandkids are a concern. The house has a offer and I have to think of that, along with the safety of the kids, Lou snapped a little at one of the grandkids the other night and he loves them! I'm also wondering since he was rescured if his past life could be apart of this? He was labeled a "problem" and no one wanted him. He's been great for us up till about a month ago? I've got to work tomorrow and am already dreading leaving him!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
From the Humane Society of the US webpage:

Destructive Chewing

Dog
©2002 Kathy Milani/HSUS
Sooner or later every dog lover returns home to find some unexpected damage inflicted by his or her dog...or, more specifically, that dog's incisors and molars. Although dogs make great use of their vision and sense of smell to explore the world, one of their favorite ways to take in new information is to put their mouths to work. Fortunately, chewing can be directed onto appropriate items so your dog isn't destroying items you value or jeopardizing his own safety. Until he's learned what he can and can't chew, however, it's your responsibility to manage the situation as much as possible, so he doesn't have the opportunity to chew on unacceptable objects.
Animal Care Professionals:
Print and customize the
PDF version of this tip sheet
with your contact information.

English / French / Spanish

Taking Control by Managing the Situation

Take responsibility for your own belongings: If you don't want it in your dog's mouth, don't make it available. Keep clothing, shoes, books, trash, eyeglasses, and remote control devices out of your dog's reach.

Don't confuse your dog by offering him shoes and socks as toys and then expecting him to distinguish between his shoe and yours. Your dog's toys should be clearly distinguishable from household goods.

Until he learns the house rules, confine him when you're unable to keep an eye on him. Choose a "safe place" that's dog-proof, and provide fresh water and "safe" toys. If your dog is crate trained, you may also place him in his crate for short periods of time.

Give your dog plenty of people-time. Your dog won't know how to behave if you don't teach him alternatives to inappropriate behavior, and he can't learn these when he's in the yard by himself.

If, and only if, you catch your dog chewing on something he shouldn't, interrupt the behavior with a loud noise, offer him an acceptable chew toy instead, and praise him lavishly when he takes the toy in his mouth.

Have realistic expectations. At some point your dog will inevitably chew up something you value; this is often part of the transition to a new home. Your dog needs time to learn the house rules and you need to remember to take precautions and keep things out of his reach.

Chewing is normal behavior for curious puppies who may be teething, but adult dogs may engage in destructive chewing for any number of reasons. In order to deal with the behavior, you must first determine why your dog is chewing—and remember, he's not doing it to spite you.

Play, Boredom, and/or Social Isolation

Normal play behavior sometimes leads to destruction, as it may involve digging, chewing, shredding, and/or shaking toy-like objects. Because dogs investigate objects by pawing at them and exploring them with their mouths, they may also inadvertently damage items in their environment when they're exploring or investigating. Your dog may be chewing for entertainment if:

He's left alone for long periods without opportunities to interact with you.

His environment is relatively barren, free of playmates or toys.

He's a puppy or adolescent (under three years old) and he doesn't have other outlets for his energy.

He's a particularly active type of dog (like the herding or sporting breeds) who need to be occupied to be happy.

Solutions:

Play with your dog daily in a safe, fenced-in area. Playing fetch is a great way to use up your dog's excess energy without wearing you out!

Go for a walk. Walks should be more than just "bathroom time." On-leash walks are important opportunities for you and your dog to be together. Don't forget to allow time for sniffing, exploring, instruction, and praise.

Increase your dog's opportunities for mental stimulation. Teach your dog a few commands or tricks and practice them daily. Take a dog training class; not only are they fun, but such classes teach commands important for your dog's safety and give you and your dog time to work toward a common goal.

Provide your dog with lots of toys.

Rotate your dog's toys to refresh his interest in them. "New" toys are always more interesting than old ones.

Try different kinds of toys, but when you introduce a new toy, keep an eye on your dog to make sure he won't tear it up and ingest the pieces.

Consider the various types of toys that can be stuffed with food. Putting tidbits of food inside chew toys helps your dog focus on these toys rather than on unacceptable objects.

Make your dog's favorite "off-limits" chew objects unattractive to him by covering them with heavy plastic, aluminum foil, hot pepper sauce, or a commercial "anti-chew" product.

Consider a good "doggie day care" program for two or three days a week to help your dog work off some of her excess energy.

Separation Anxiety

Dogs with separation anxiety tend to display behaviors that reflect a strong attachment to their owners. This includes following you from room to room, frantic greetings, and anxious responses whenever you prepare to leave the house. Factors that can precipitate a separation anxiety problem include:

A change in the family's schedule that leaves your dog at home alone more often.

A move to a new home.

The death or loss of a family member or another family pet.

A period at a shelter or boarding kennel.

Again, remember that these behaviors are not motivated by spite or revenge, but by anxiety. Punishment will only make the problem worse. Separation anxiety can be resolved by using counter-conditioning and desensitization techniques.

Attention-Seeking Behavior

Without realizing it, we often pay more attention to our dogs when they're misbehaving. Dogs who don't receive a lot of attention and reinforcement for appropriate behavior may engage in destructive behavior when their owners are present as a way to attract attention—even if the attention is "negative," such as a verbal scolding.

Solutions:

Make sure your dog gets a lot of positive attention every day—playtime, walks, grooming, or just petting.

Ignore bad behavior (as much as possible) and reward good behavior. Remember to reward your dog with praise and petting when he's playing quietly with appropriate toys.

Make his favorite "off-limits" chew objects unattractive or unavailable to him. Use aversives on objects that cannot be put away.

Teach your dog a "drop it" command, so that when he does pick up an "off-limits" object, you can use the command and praise him for complying. The best way to teach "drop it" is to practice exchanging a toy in his possession for a tidbit of food.

Practice the concept of "Nothing in Life is Free" with your dog. This gets your dog in the habit of complying with your commands and is a good way to make sure he gets lots of positive attention for doing the right things—so he won't have to resort to misbehaving just to get your attention.

Fears and Phobias

Your dog's destructive behavior may be a response to something he fears. Some dogs are afraid of loud noises. Your dog's destructive behavior may be caused by fear if he tends to be more destructive when he's exposed to loud noises, such as thunderstorms, firecrackers, or construction sounds, and if the primary damage is to doors, door frames, window coverings, screens, or walls.

Solutions:

Provide a "safe place" for your dog. Find out where he likes to go when he feels anxious, then allow access to that space or create a similar one for him to use when the fear stimulus is present.

Don't comfort your dog when he's behaving fearfully. Try to get him to play with you or respond to commands he knows and give him praise and treats when he responds to you rather than the fear stimulus.

Don't crate your dog unless he's thoroughly crate-trained and considers the crate his safe place. If you put him in a crate to prevent destruction and he's not crate-trained, he may injure himself and/or destroy the crate.

What NOT to Do

Punishment is rarely effective in resolving destructive behavior problems, and may even make the problem worse. Never discipline your dog after the fact. If you discover your dog has chewed an item but don't catch him in the act, it's too late to administer a correction. Your dog doesn't think, "I chewed those shoes an hour ago and that's why I'm being scolded now." People often believe their dog makes this connection because he runs and hides or "looks guilty." But dogs display submissive postures like cowering, running away, or hiding when they feel threatened by an angry tone of voice, body posture, or facial expression. Your dog doesn't know what he's done wrong; he only knows that you're upset. Punishment after the fact will not only fail to eliminate the undesirable behavior, but may provoke other undesirable behaviors, too.

© 2002. Adapted from material originally developed by applied animal behaviorists at the Dumb Friends League, Denver, Colorado. All rights reserved.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue! I can't believe I forgot to mention umbilical cord training!

What you do is tie your dog's leash to your waist for about 30 minutes a day. In that 30 minutes, you neither pet nor speak to him, just make him follow you around the house. It teaches him that even without vocalization he has to obey you. I'm not sure how well it will work on a mastiff since they are so large, but you could try :D My local dog trainer has always had mastiffs and he does this *He is very tall though...lol* and his dogs are amazing.

Be careful with the kiddos around him until he is back to normal. I know we would all hate an accident to happen.
Another link that might be of interest

http://www.isabellevets.co.uk/health_advice/dog/info/destructivedog.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  04:48:10 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU Alee, that was wonderful of you!! Very interesting and makes sense. The umbilical cord training might work on hubby, I'm not strong enough to even walk Lou, wish I was then he wouldn't have to wait till hubby can but at 200 lbs. Lou has control pretty much! Thanks again, your so sweet!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue- If your hubby is strong enough/ tall enough have him make the leash short enough that when you husband is sitting, the dog can sit but not lay down, and when standing he can stand and possibly sit, but not lay down. It's really a great tool.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm happy to report that I came home today to no disasters! I left the radio on and gave him some extra attention while home with him yesterday. I"m hoping for the best but I know it's probably not over yet, just a nice day! Thanks all and Alee, I'll tell hubby bout your post!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue- what great news! Maybe he just had a dose of spring fever?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  12:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh, let's hope so!! But he's gone a week between mishaps so we will see?

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile
UPDATE! It's been over a month since any mishaps with Lou and I think our new routine is working. I did get some spray that I spray before I leave. I also leave and radio on for him and really praise him when I come home. He's also been getting some extra attention so I'm hoping the worst is behind us. We sold our house and close in May, so I'm hopful he won't destroy the new place once we get settled. Thank you all for your help, I treasure it!

Visit me at my blogs:

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  1:12:50 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear, Sue!!! You never know about those dogs, for sure! They're just like us, only they can't convey what they're feeling through words!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  9:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue-

I am so glad that everything has been working out! I think sometimes dogs go through phases where they push boundaries just like kids do! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA