knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  12:47:49 PM  Show Profile
What have you ladies started the year off reading? I am presently reading "Four Seasons" by Mary Alice Monroe.

The problem with reading for me is that when I start a new book it is ALL I want to do. I guess I am just going to have to break down and wash some dishes.

Kathy

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Hmm...Pillars of the Earth, something by Diana Mott Davidson(mystery, catering, can't remember the name), and Skeletons by Kate Wilhelm, a northwest author, also a mystery. Yes....I read about three books at a time. Sometimes more.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon. Made me cry, but very good.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing my annual readthrough of the liitle house on the prairie series.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  4:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I went on a totally different jaunt and picked up Playing for Pizza by John Grisham.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Just finished reading "A MIDWIFE'S STORY".Really enjoyed it. Its about a women in Lancaster county PA. who was and still is a midwife there for the Amish women. Got the book at the thrift store.Going to send it to SUSAN,"MOMMOM" who live in that area, thought she should have it. I think after reading it I could deliver a baby if I had to.HA. But don't send your daughters.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading 'The Simple Living Guide' by Janet Luhrs that Enchantedwoodsgirl (Kathy) sent me. Lots of good tips in there for living a more thrifty and fulfilling life.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lainey, I love that book! So inspiring!

I'm currently reading Yoga as Medicine; a great overview of how yoga can help with all kinds of chronic conditions, as well as keeping your health.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  5:54:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading Mariette In Ecstasy by Ron Hansen. He is sooo good! I'm also reading In Defense of Food by Micheal Pollan and the Sunlight Dialogues by John Gardner. I'm needing something new to add in though since Mariette is almost finished. OH NO!

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  7:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I am doing some light reading ...the second book in the sisters of the quilt series by Cindy Woodsmall...When the Morning Comes. Pretty good...I liked the first one alot. I always love books set in Amish country.
I need to find a new book for next..won't be long until I need one. I am trying to knit more than read and have alot to do tomorrow. I am just like you Kathy..once I do start a good book I don't want to do anything else..oh well!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  7:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading "Write it when I'm gone" by Thomas DeFrank. I saw the author discuss it on Book TV and wanted to read it. It is conversations he had with President Gerald Ford before his death and after he left the white house. It is really interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  8:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I love Amish stories so am reading "The Daughter's of Lancaster County"

Denise

Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  8:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I am reading, "buddha Mom," by Jacqueline Kramer. It is about how motherhood can be a part of your spirituality.

Trish

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  9:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Currently reading Crown of Thorns by Sigmund Brouwer. It's #2 in a mystery series that starts with Out of the Shadows. I have really enjoyed all of the books of his I have read.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Me too, Julie!! I'm working my way backwards this year. Usually my husband likes for me to read them out loud to him, which I do until he starts snoring and then I'll stop which (of course!) makes him wake up and proclaim he wasn't sleeping at all!!

quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

I'm doing my annual readthrough of the liitle house on the prairie series.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  06:39:15 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "Animal, Vegetable Miracle," based on the good reviews I've seen in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  08:32:16 AM  Show Profile
I am reading a few things for both pleasure and study..."Birth as an American Rite of Passage" by Robbie David Floyyd, "Pursuing the Birth machine" by Marsden Wagner, "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas (this is a re-read and I highly recommend it as I completely enjoyed it, as did Rob, the first time through.) and I am reading "The Tribal Bible" by Kajira Djoumanna-it's a bellydance book regarding American Tribal Style Bellydance

I am also reading "A Midwife's Tale-The Life of Martha Ballard based on Her Diary" by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. VERY fascinating!!!

One other I am trying to page through (as if I am not reading enough already) is "Red Earth White Earth" by Will Weaver.

I am reading out loud the first Harry Potter book to the girls as well.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mizsuzee
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Susan
Washington State
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  3:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Mizsuzee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to someone here suggesting it, I've started "Summer at Tiffany" and am absolutely loving it! :-)

www.mizsuzee.wordpress.com
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter - that tells what sort of life you've lived.
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  4:16:27 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading the last of the Yada Yada Prayer group books, I was sad to see this series end, usually I don't like series of books but these were good, the author is Neta Jackson I think. She is going to write more using characters from this series.
I am trying to read The Cure by Athol Dickson, it is hard going, not my usual choice of fiction. it was on the shelf with new releases. I read a lot of Christian fiction, also I am reading Just Beyond the Clouds, by Karen Kingsbury, she always makes me cry though!
I read Animal, Vegatable, Miracle it was good, it is getting noticed by our state farm bureau.
I am also going to read through my Bible this year.
Thats it for this week. Pam
Go to Top of Page

gwennym
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Gwen
Edwardsville IL
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile
Well, right now I think I'm in the midst of my horse phase. I'm into anything about horses, learning to ride, stories about rescued animals, etc. Just finished "One Good Horse," by Tom Groneberg and have started "Tall Ears & Short Tales...Observation From the Barn" by Carol Chapman. One recent good read was "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards --- a real tear-jerker. My mother also let me borrow her book "Don't Kiss a Goat on the Lips" by Vic Sussman --- cute book about city people getting into the "back to nature" movement of the late 1970's.

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile
I am reading Cruncy Cons by Rod Dreher (I think I spelled his name correctly), I picked this book up at the library because it looked interesting and it really is.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile
I started reading Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset. It's about 800 pages long! I'm a third of the way through and I decided to look for some info on the author. How come this woman won the Nobel Prize back in 1928 and we never had to read her books in school? Well, according to my google search it's because the English translations of KL sucked until the most recent one in 1997. Now I have to decide whether to keep reading the 1960s copy I picked up at the library sale or go find the better translation. It's a good story so far though, crappy translation or no. Medieval Norse woman who acts rashly as a teenager in love and has to live with her choices.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises by Mother M. Angelica. She's a woman I greatly admire!

my personal site: http://www.thecatholicwife.com
my business website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  6:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I started out reading The Book Of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari...a great just for the fun of it read. It's 600+ pages, but I devoured it in 3 days. Now I'm on to a bit more serious reading Aarons Way: The journey of a strong-willed child by Kendra Smiley with Aaron Smiley. I'm hoping to get some ideas on managing my strong-willed little guy.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I'm glad you're enjoying "Summer at Tiffany". That's just the way things were back then.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister #19

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  04:41:34 AM  Show Profile
I just started I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I picked it up in a Study Hall at work Friday and the first page captured me! Had to run out and get it Saturday. I actually ended up buying a Collection of her work.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page