Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic
Page: of 9

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:38:33 PM  Show Profile
I am real careful not to break down fences and trash cell phones and other things! Don't wanna get hauled off in a trailer by gum!!!!And during the holidays of all times!!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile

yes, you better be on your best behavior, woman !!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  7:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,

I am sorry about your bully. I am completely worthless as an animal farmer. If I had goats, they'd be for milk and cheese. If I had sheep, it would be for the wool. Cattle. Well, they'd have to be dairy cows.

You get the point. I am a complete blubbering mess when it comes to animals. Better that I stick to growing vegetables and fruit trees and feeding a couple thousand neighborhood cats.

A big HUG to you,
Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lucinda, It's a real sore spot with DH and I... I want some goats for milk to make cheese...and chickens for eggs. DH was raised in a large family of 10 and farm animals were used for food. The Dexters are pets to me.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  9:18:49 PM  Show Profile
You will think I am a big baby..but I decided not to keep Mona's baby if it is a bull calf for that very reason..he would be a pet by the time he was butchering age and I don't think I could stand it..nothing against eating beef..I do that all the time, but not when it is a friend. I had someone tell me yesterday that he would buy the calf if it is a bull calf. I already have a buyer if it is a heifer calf. I want to raise it to weaning age myself..but I don't know if that will be practical. Or fun since it will be winter!
ARn't intact male animals a big pain in the rear to keep??? Our buck goat has been so sweet..all but his smell..and I have had two aggressive fence busting rams since we moved here (sold them both) the one I have now seems okay but is still small and very young. And the roosters fight if they get the chance. I am considering an all girl farm..haha

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  04:42:27 AM  Show Profile
You are so right Jenny! An all girl farm would be lots more peaceful![:D Just have the males around when they are "needed".

Edited by - MeadowLark on Nov 04 2005 04:51:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, You go girl!!! Great story, I'm glad you told him what for. MeadowLark, I don't know how you can't get attach to these animals. I'm sorry you have to see him go even if he's a pain.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  10:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, hope that last post doesn't apply to your hubby!!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  10:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...he travels alot...I miss him and worry about him alot...just don't like it when he is home and the bulls act up! I got a bull rounded up and back in his pen with a box of Cheerios...and didn't want to eat him. That gentle female touch works sometimes!

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda,

Great story!! I run into this type of behavior a lot too!! It makes me so angry that I have to get all confrontational just to get the kind of service and respect that my husband would get. Hate to say it, but I know a lot more about fixing some things than he does!! You did great. Yeah!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  12:24:37 PM  Show Profile
I try NOT to get attached to our beef animals, I was raised on a farm, one of 10 kids so it is easy for me to see them like Wylie coyote, I just picture a freezer full when I look at them but I have to tell you a funny story:

When I was a teenager, my brothers were 2 and 4, we had raised two pigs, Fred and Charlie, Needless to say the boys were attached to them and helped feed everyday. Well butchering came and went and we thought they didn't notice (yeah right) Mom put pork chops on the table and cautioned all of us older kids not to "SAY A WORD" we didn't. After dinner Phillip (the 4 year old)sat back in his chair, rubbed his belly and told us. "ummmmm Fred & Charlie sure did taste good!!!

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile
yes a all girl farm is what i am working on. why do the males have to be so dam evil??
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Lucinda, I admire your restraint, and your eloquence in that situation! I probably would have practically bitten his head off!

Meadowlark, hopefully your hubby will calm down. My hubby says things like that when he is mad too. Most recently about wanting to kill all the neighbor's dogs (four houses down from us) that are constantly in our yard - and wanting to say all kinds of rude things to Animal Control about it too! He'll calm down and get more level-headed about it.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  3:09:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by verbina

yes a all girl farm is what i am working on. why do the males have to be so dam evil??

Verbina...cause they have that extra attachment that Lucinda was refering to in her vent previously.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  3:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Maybe the guy's reaction is a regional thing? Up here in the Northwest, my experience has been ok. They might look a bit shocked that I'm attempting something, but when I come in with my grubby work clothes, parts in hand and say I need this... I get it without any commentary. Now they may say something after I leave, but not to my face... --in fact, I do think I've been a source of inspiration to a guy or two who wasn't intimiated by the fact that I could accomplish something usually thought of as man's domain. And you know what is so much fun???? When I ask them a question that they cannot answer! Now there's the guy (to find) that admits he doesn't know something, but he'll sure find out! Maybe y'all should move up yonder!

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh! To live in Oregon or Washington State

Some friends of mine nearly bought a vineyard near Tillamock a few years back. I was all for it. Have feet, will stomp grapes If they had done it, I'd be there.

Then I met the tall handsome ONE. We'll be here until the darling stepdaughter is out of school.

At least we get to see our families all the time.

Lynn - I couldn't decide who's head to bite off first. Maybe we should put it up to a vote.....

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
From "Alive" magazine September 2005 (I get time to read once in awhile!)

Seeds of Bribery
You might associate the company Monsanto with several things: seed supplier, chemical fertilizer manufacturer, even scholarship benefactor. But here's one other title that Monsanto probably isn't too proud to hold: company guilty of international bribery and falsifying records.
The US Justice Dept. has charged Monsanto with paying off a senior Indonesian Ministry of Environment official to the tune of $50,000 in exchange for amending or nullifying their requirement to conduct an environmental impact study before authorizing the planting of genetically modified crops. In February 2002, a member of a consulting firm hired by Monsanto delivered $50,000 in cash to the official as an incentive to rescind the environmental impact study requirement, which the official promised to do "when the time was right". Monsanto then had the consulting firm draw up false invoices for $50,000 for consulting fees and entered them as such in their books.
The end result? Monsanto negotiated a deferred prosecution agreement and agreed to pay a one-million dollar fine to the Justice Department and cooperate fully with the investigation into the matter. All charges could be dropped after a three-year probationary period.

Makes ya just spin, don't it...

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  6:18:13 PM  Show Profile
"Oh the tangeled webs of deceit we weave" William Shakespeare, Thanks for posting that Diane...can't say I am surprised!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  6:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Arlene, That was a cute story! Some little kids can't be fooled!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile
I think an all girl farm is the ticket! Missy has had to get rid of all her roosters but one because they want to fight all the time and about killed one of the hens. Just bring the guys around when you need them and then send them on their way.

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Here is a new vent and I have been fuming for over a week now.
A woman who was not paying attention to what she was doing ran into my car, totalled it and hurt me. She received a ticket for failure to yield and kept saying to me "The insurance will take care of it" with little concern for my well being. My car was a 13 tear old Subaru with 130,000 miles, how much do you think "The Insurance" is going to offer me for a 13 year old car? My car was dependable and used by my family for everything. What they will offer will not buy a suitable replacement and I who did nothing wrong am being financiallly penalized because I am not one of those gas guzzling, new car payment loving fools driving around. I AM MAD! What is my alternative ?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  12:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, please look into coverage of the insurance for a trip to the mnassage/chiropractor. Insurance companies pay these fees for visits for adjustments and massages, and you may need and feel better if you look into this. It is one compensation you can get that is not too hard. And if you insist, they will replace your car with another Subaru. You must be diligent, but the insurance companies will act if you are.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,I am sorry to hear about your accident.I hope you didn't get hurt.
I also wanted to thank everyone for there good wishes.I was on a trip to a show in N.C. so I start my new position tommorrow and I am a little nervous but I sure I will be fine.Thanks again,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  05:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
Irritants in my life:

Locals who assume I'm a little slow because I say y'all and talk with a touch of a southern twang (I'm in Maine now) and can't pronounce all the darned French names.

Being stared at at the VA center up in Togus. Okay, granted, most folks at the VA are usually WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets, however, there are more and more girl vets (myself included) needing to use the VA facilities. Or the doctors who ask "which branch of the military is your husband in"? I ain't married folks!

An HVAC repair dude who keeps showing up. Early. Not 5 or 10 minutes early, but an hour early the first time and a half hour early today. Now, I don't mind early repair dudes, but an hour early means before 8am and I am so not up at that hour (I currently work until midnight). So he caught me in my pj's today. :P

Credit card companies. I work for one. They suck. 'nuff said
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  06:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Kit, I had the AC guy show up, unannounced, at 7am once! I hadn't expected him for another week - so I was in my PJs, hair all over the place...

I'm a Floridian in the South now - I get picked on for my "Northern" accent all the time.

And I only have one credit card anymore. I closed all the others after that law passed that said if you were late once, or any infringement whatever, they could raise the interest to 29.95%. I have great credit... but I think I'll stick to AmEx.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page