Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  9:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Bramble, not to dismiss my concern for your wellbeing...but as an owner of a Subaru...I completely understand how the promise of insurance is no music to your ears. Although our last car was not a Subaru...it was very reliable, well taken care of, etc. It had high miles but never broke down, had one owner etc. The blue book was low because it was an older car, but it's value to us was far more. In Feb, someone pulled out of an alley, in a hurry, and I had about 5 feet to react. Our Jeep was totalled. Suddenly we found ourselves in the market for a new car, but not really wanting a new car! Ours was just fine. The girl who hit us...her insurance company covered a rental car for us, for 2 weeks. We weren't able to find a suitable car for 6. We ended up paying $500 for a rental car. To make a long story short....make sure to stand your ground with her insurance company. You deserve a car that will replace your car not only in value, but dependability. We took for granted that we would be taken care of, but werent. Don't let it get you down too much. I'm so glad that you and your family are safe. And I hope you find a new subie. They're the best.
love
Judes
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  11:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My vent may seem small considering where I was a few months ago - but I am so FRUSTRATED. All I am trying to do is build a compost bin out of some of the old wood from our house remodel. No big deal, right? I've worked less than 15 minutes on it and my back started hurting. After 45 I give in and realize I have to rest for a while. I am so tired of this! I have always been able to do ANYTHING. Roofing, framing, hanging drywall, sistering joists, laying floors, you name it. I've done it, and I love doing it.

And now I can't even build a simple frame for a compost bin without having to rest like I'm 92 instead of 29.
/end rant.

Jude, I love my Jeep. It's a 94 Cherokee, and other than normal wear and tear stuff, the only thing it has ever needed was a water pump and a rear main seal. It has 203,000 miles on it now, I've had it for 10 years already, and I've had it haul lumber, block, bricks, and it has moved me from one town to another several times.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Greyghost. I'll be 27 in a few days and it's nuts how much more of a toll things take on me than they did even two years ago.. my oldest just turned two though so she is probably the cause of all this tiredness, not me :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  08:49:46 AM  Show Profile
High fallutin' types who can't appreciate the work that it takes to hand make certain items, be they edible or wearable.

Mass production 'aint all it's cracked up to be

Kudos to everyone who can still get their beef and dairy FRESH from the field (poultry too for that matter)......we may be farmers, but fresh IS the life and the ignorant city slickers of corporate living and paved everyting only think THEY have it good.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  05:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I just have to say this.....The thing that bugs me lately is going to a topic and then feeling as though I am being chastised when I read it. It has changed how I approach this site- I steer clear of certain
names now, and stick to the tried and true. This should be a fun place with each of us teaching and encouraging one another- not trying to "outdo" in the advice department. Maybe that's why I stay so quiet.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately this type of medium as a means of communication can often come across as more blunt than the writer ever intentioned. We can't put a smiling face behind "this worked for me" or eye contact when we ask for clarification. All of our life experiences and personalities is what makes this a great place and I think each and every one of us has something to contribute. The common link that I have noticed amongst us is a genuine desire to help and an interest in what someone else is doing.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Lorij and Diane- Thank you for putting things back into perspective and setting me back on kilter!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Aye Carrumba, Ms. Ghost. Back pain is soooo frustrating!

I'm curious, is it low back pain? Upper? Mid? Deep in the tummy? All of the above?

I'm a fourty-somthin' with a history of back-pain in my younger days. I still get it occasionally but go on the attack when it decides to get ornery and it usually dissolves right away.

Now, everybody is different, but this is what works for me: I have a smaller Swiss exercise ball. Usually the phys ed types give you a ball as big as a cow. They're great for sitting at the computer on, but for exercising or getting at locked muscles they're just too dang huge. I'm a big guy (6’) and prefer a 44cm ball (about two feet tall). I use it by rolling it up and down my back/spine, using my weight and the ball's resistance to massage the muscles and align my skeletal structure. Which is nice and healthy, and I can do it while watching tv or reading so it’s simple and doesn’t require much thought. But the maneuver that really heals me right up for action is to lay face down on the ball with it tucked in my belly and pelvis. This goes right to the source of most trouble: the Psosas. This little trickster connects from your lumbar vertebrae, thru the pelvis, to the top of your femur. It is often referred to THE core muscle in your body (well, I would argue for heart, but that’s a whole ‘nother philiosophical debate) by the peeps who study such things. When you’re doing Pilate’s or any of those other exercises that constantly refer to core muscles they’re mostly talking about your Psosas. It’s a pouty, seizure oriented, octopus of a muscle that can really sink your day (and your compost bin) if it’s in a foul mood. And massage therapy can barely get to it because you have to get to it through the belly, not the back. She’s a tough nut, but I tell you a small swiss ball can comb and stroke your Psoas so tenderly that it’ll melt. It will open the floodgates of blood, nutrients and bliss that it was disconnected from.

So, to briefly summarize my routine: Roll it up and down the back, stopping on painful spots to twist a little and let the grip of the ball offer resistance and so unlock those muscles, or just sit there until the muscles give in and release (and take in the blood it’s starving for). The ball rests real nice in the small of my back and gives my liver and kidneys a good massage, too. Then I lay face down on it and roll from my deep pelvis up to my sternum, often just letting myself hang over a really tender spot ‘til it dissolves (for me, usually the deep pelvis). You can also sort of pinch in on the ball, squeezing it, to work the balls natural resistance and make your muscles bloom out of their stagnant stance.

Usually when you do this maneuver there can be considerable pain, and of course, some peeps are squeamish about pressure on their internal organs. Here’s the one warning sign: If the pain increases steadily and doesn’t let up after a minute or two, there’s something else going on. Ask your health care professional about it. But if the pain increases but then eases off and dissolves you’re on the right track. Hunt down all the painful spots you can find and feel them leave. Tell them goodbye. Say hello to oxygen, nutrients, well-being and fluid movement. However, muscles love old, crusty habits, so you have to be diligent and do this over an extended time to reeducate them.

At least that’s my experience. Like I said, everybody’s different, life is a complex code and it seems like everyone was handed a different key. But it’s worth a try. ‘Specially if you’re missing out on good compost.

Hope this helps you, you young pup. GreyGhost indeed. You should see my hair, sister.

ej
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Erik, birdcat, you are hilarious. I have seen those huge balls and they can claim the space of one third of a room in no time flat!

Having back problems, I am thankful for your post. I have never heard of a Psoas. But I plan to learn more. I know I often hear from deep muscles that I did not know existed until they introduce themselves with spasms, therefore I worry that they are organs! Thanks, Erik!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 16 2005 12:40:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile
JPbluesky-

I have one of those balls but it was a mail order one from that crazy Tony Little guy. While I think he is kind of a weirdo, that ball is awesome. It has little nubby things sticking out of it all over and it feels so good on my back.. The video that comes with it stresses me out more than relaxes me, but that ball is phenominal! (SP?)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:53:37 PM  Show Profile
on a "smaller ball" scale,
I often use a tennis ball to press out the knots in my shoulder blades and upper back while I'm driving.I use a pink tennis ball,
(so that no-one else can claim it to be theirs!) and put it between my back and the car seat. It is the perfect size and feels sooo great!
You can use it on the floor or bed too and lay on top of it. Like Erik says, just squeeze your muscles around it until the knot unravels.
Boy, I must try one of those belly balls. I hold alot of tension there and it surely does affect my back sometimes, too.
Thanks for the tip!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  1:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Dudes and Chicks...With all these balls and BEBSues' Stiff neck Salve we is gonna be melloooooooow and doin alright. I may have to get into the ball routine meself!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  1:40:43 PM  Show Profile
The Babe's neck salve is a wonderful brew. Its really helped my leg out a lot. I like her driving tips, too.

Edited by - Birdcat on Nov 16 2005 1:41:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile
okay, I think I'll pass on Tony Little
but are these the same balls that you can order from those pretty yoga catalogs? Maybe I'll take a look at the local sports store.
I am coerced into stopping there at least once a week.

I have been strongly considering persuing the pilates route after Christmas. The overall benefits appear to be phenomenal and classes/private instruction abound here.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Pilates workout routine is what my Physical Therapist used to get me back on my feet and strong in half the time of normal PT after my total knee replacement surgeries.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:45:09 PM  Show Profile
I subscribe to the Gospel according to Birdcat. Very well said, ej, and intuitive. I've been using various size balls for a year or so now. I prefer the smaller varieties myself, as I almost killed myself falling off a larger one into a chair...(would've been funny to watch, but it hurt like H*ll.) Or, I also have a long, big (12" high), green one that is shaped like a peanut that is much more balanced. My latest and greatest ones are called the Miracle Balls, smaller green ones also filled with air, about 4 inches across and you can use them in the same manner, or when sitting. Great relief all around.

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:02:22 PM  Show Profile
WOO HOO ****** HI!!!!CLARE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:19:50 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Clare is back. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare!!! I am as happy as everyone else that you are here!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:32:07 PM  Show Profile
i thought you might approve, Ms. Therapist, and was hoping you'd join in.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16421 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16421 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:44:31 PM  Show Profile
....whatsoever things are lovely
....think on these things. Philippians 4:8

Spread the grand good news. Clare is back. Welcome home, Clare!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  4:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Smiley faces all around! Welcome back, Clare!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  5:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Clare...we're "hungry!"

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  5:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Yeah -- Clare -- you've been missed!!!!!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page