Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic
Page: of 9

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  3:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'd like to give him a piece of my mind...but he is a real creep and I avoid him at all costs! I try to avoid confrontations, especially with hot shot lawyers like that....

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

sock_heaven
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I wasn't commenting on your post, just venting in general!

What would the world be, once bereft/Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;/Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. --Gerard Manley Hopkins
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, The sheriff would be your buddy in disturbing the peace cases... and she/he'd do all the dirty work for you and probably be polite. You pay taxes, and thus his/her salary, so feel free to call them. Don't be a victim to his jerkiness!!!
Hope life gets better soon for ya!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Meadowlark, I hear you. We have the same problem with our neighbors, they have loud music -loud drunks -loud teenager parties till 4 am most every weekend.The kids even get into their trucks and drive around their 3 acres thru the woods-at 4 am- whoopin it up. We have talked nice to them till we are blue in the face,and my husband IS THE SHERIFF!!..doesn't do any good. Those kind of people just take their slice of cake out of the middle and always will, to hell with everyone else.
My solution has been to sleep with a fan on high in my room the nights they are partying, and ignore them. They LIKE messing with people, so the more negative energy you expend at their cost the better they seem to like it.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  4:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Men who don't think women know anything about mechanical devices. I work for a company that I answer the phone to provide technical help, first thing out of most men's mouths is can I talk to the technical line (thinking I'm the receptionist). You called an 800# that is direct to the technical line, why would you think it's the receptionist? Then there are the ones that have the gall to ask for a man - I trained most of the men in my department.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  6:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Anne, I hear you!
I know a LOT about remodeling. A little to nearly everything about anything construction related. So I go to Home Depot, ask a question, have my own solution just want to bounce it off someone. And these guys refuse to look at me! They find another guy they work with, talk to them, they talk to each other and I say "what about a tapcon?" and they discuss it between them!

Or I ask what the best router is... same thing. Find another guy, who refuses to look at ME. Hey, I'm the one USING the tool here, I want to get one that isn't going to freaking DIE on me in the middle of making kitchen cabinets.

I finally decided not to let it bother me, to laugh at it. It is THEIR problem. THEY are obviously not comfortable with a woman who knows more about 5V telephone wire than they do. THEY obviously do not want to think that a woman knows what a tapcon IS and can suggest it as a way to attach a pedestal sink to a wall, instead of the wingy thingies that were in the box! THEY don't want to think a woman can do it, or it makes them uncomfortable. Their problem, not mine.

I am WOMAN, hear me ROAR!!!
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  07:06:24 AM  Show Profile

Anne, I hear ya about men thinking women don't know anything. My 17 yr old daughter works in the shop at Walmart, changing tires and oil. A guy actually refused to have a girl work on his vehicle. All that they had working in the shop were girls, so they ripped up his work order, and told him to go to Canadian Tire to have his oil changed.
Good for them!!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  07:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Sock-Heaven....I don't know your name.

I know you weren't commenting on my spelling and grammer! LOL

Michele
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
For the grammar cops:

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/cat_grammar_cop.html

Back when I was an editor I found stuff in public that irritated the crap out of me all the time! I am still irritated by "10 Items or Less" in checkout lines.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  6:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Now you guys are making me laugh - I have had some of the same experiences at Home Depot, but not at my local hardware store. There they have the old guys behind the counter and they respect a woman who knows what she is looking for. I do have to admit that at work I have customers who won't talk to anyone but me, they tell the guys the don't trust them and want to talk to Anne because she knows what she is doing. So it is not always bad.

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  5:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I'm writing this because I can't vent in real life! I told myself I wouldn't do it (complain), but I can't keep it in! Annoyance #1 is a lady who came into the store today. She said she was shopping for a friend. My boss went to help her & showed her a few beautiful peices of jewelry...handmade, glittery, pretty...and said "would she be into these?" To which the lady replied "oh no, she lives on a farm. She's not into much of anything" in a very condescending voice! ARGH! Then continued "what do you buy for a farmgirl with no interests or sense of style?" Maybe it's the farmgirl in me, and the beauty in all of you..but I about lost it on her. I wanted to reach into my messenger bag and hand her Mary Jane's book. Or shout what do YOU know about farmgirl style!?!? I was so mad, I had to go to the basement & break down cardboard boxes. I'll skip #2, because I feel a little better already. Thanks for listening! ~Judes
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Judes -

Oh my - apparently the woman does not get out much and lives in her own little and I emphasize little, world. She apparently has never met anyone like the girls on this site. Sorry you had to meet someone with such a narrow mind and view on life and people in particular.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  02:51:54 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know where to put this post but I had vented about this process and some of the women who treated me badly.
I wanted to let everyone who understood and supported me here that I
FINALLY GOT MY PROMOTION!!!!!! and I got a prime position that I didn't think I would get.So Thanks for allthe support I recieved.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  03:55:35 AM  Show Profile
i can honestly say that there just isn't much in this life that 'gets my panties in a bunch' .. life is so grande and precious .. and i believe that most people are truly good-hearted .. i know there are those out there that have some sort of mental illness .. either born with it or 'learned it' through lack of love or mis-treatment .. that cause them to do unloving acts .. (and not for a moment do i excuse the behaviour of mean-spirited acts) .. but the 'little things' are all just part of human nature .. or thoughtlessness because we were not taught loving values or ways of coping with life .. or how to live life honorably .. but each and every one of us was, at one time, an innocent babe .. and something happened along the pathway of our lives where we went astray. i believe profoundly in the teaching of 'not casting stones' in someone else's direction. just because we do something that seems pretty 'stupid' to others does not mean we are not a good person. i've discovered an amazing 'peace' in this thing called 'life' by choosing to be very tolerant of 'things' that people do and say. and hope that others will look at me and my 'human frailties' in the same way. oh lordy! don't mean to get all 'pollyanna-ish' here .. but these are truly my beliefs ... and just think upon it ... when we allow something that someone else does/says to 'get to us' .. we have handed them the victory .. because WE have allowed judgement into our lives and now WE are the 'upset' ones. oh .. and do not for a moment think that these feelings keep me from trying to 'right injustices' and work toward solutions to war/hate/poverty/and all the ills that abound .. i just truly save my energy for the 'bigg'uns'!!!!!!! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  05:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Alicia!!
You deserve every sweet moment attached to this promotion.
Way to go!!You must be feeling so great today.
Thanks for letting us know.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  05:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Alicia -- Great news! A big Farmgirl wahooooo to you!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  10:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Alicia!!! You ROCK farmgirl!!! I am so proud of you! Thanks for sharing that great news!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  10:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Alicia!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Alicia!! Wonderful news!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I got a call this morning and it was our neighbor saying our Dexter bull harry was in his pasture fighting with his BIG bull. I swear these Dexter bull are a pain....they are so small and want to woop the bigger bulls all the time. Harry crashed through the fence and went after the other bull. Fortunatly DH is home so he goes and gets the cattle trailer and takes it over to neighbor who is waiting with his 4-wheeler. (We arent on the best terms with this neighbor) Dh runs and tries to corner Harry but Harry isn't concerned with what DH wants...he wants to fight the other bull...who is really doing a number on Harry! DH is cussing and getting knocked down by Harry and all I can do is quietly laugh as I watch DH tangle with this bull. Dh is a big guy...and strong...and seeing my 6'3''240 lb. husband try to wrestle this Dexter is quite the sight! Well..he finally got the bull loaded up in the trailer...and is so furious with him he says..I am going to eat him now...and he calls our meat packer. I told DH that the bull is just protecting his little herd and doing what is natural. DH also lost his phone in the process... Now he intends to take the bull to be processed the end of Dec.

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  3:48:07 PM  Show Profile
EEEWWWW! Meadowlark, that's horrible. Here's hoping your husband cools off and changes his mind!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:07:21 PM  Show Profile
He's an ole Kansas farmboy and has tangled with too many bulls in his lifetime I'm afraid...it takes a lot to get him mad...and a bull that destroys a fence and trashes his expensive cell phone is one of those sore spots with him. We already have a lot of meat frozen...we don't need more!!!!

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:10:42 PM  Show Profile
On the topic of people assuming we can't do something simply because we are girls....

In early September, while on a stay-at-home and get caught up "vacation," I decided I would clean the fabric softener dispenser in my clothes washer. It is located at the top of my aggitator and I had noticed that a thick layer of softener was forming around the top of the washtub.

Girl, was that ever disgusting! I've cleaned up better looking cat vomit. The cup was filled with softener, mold, and clumps of lint. YUCK! Anyway, when I was ready to fit it back into the aggitator, I noticed some mold or mildew UNDER the seal in the middle of it. Obviously, water was getting in where it didn't belong. I pulled the seal which consisted of a domed plastic disk with an O-Ring fitted around the outside edge. The O-Ring immediately flew apart.

I knew it would be sort of hopeless, but I headed to the local hardware stores, three of them, with disk and O-Ring in a Ziploc. No luck. They only wanted to sell me a new washer. With a sigh, because my day was quickly slipping away on this one "small" problem, I headed to a local store which sells and services large appliances. I wanted to give them my business because they are near my home and locally owned.

I entered the store, closely followed by a big, strapping handyman type, and went up to the counter. I gave the sales person the make, model #, and serial # of my washer and advised that I needed a new O-Ring for this particular seal. To illustrate, I handed him the disk and broken ring.
He said, "You need tubing."
Big Handy Guy butts in and says, "Girls can't fix stuff like that. You should hire a professional."
I ignored Handy and said, "It's an O_RING," drawing out the "O" to make my point.
Handy: "You're asking for trouble if you try to do that yourself..."
Salesman blinks and repeats, "Tubing."
I turned to Handy and pointed out that while it is true that I am missing one clever attachment that he undoubtedly has, I AM possessed of a matching set of opposable thumbs and they seem to be a lot more useful.
Then, I pointed out to the salesman that tubing by its' very definition is hollow and invited him to examine my O-RING. At that point he shrugged, looked up the part, retrieved one from his magic closet, and I was on my way.

Sheesh!!! Why does it always have to be such a battle? Why is it so hard to believe that I know what I need? Is it because I'm female? petite? freckled? clean? What?

Phew! I feel better now

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda!!!! Alls I gots to say is you ROCK woman!!!! High Five and thumbs up!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile
HAHAHAHA!!!
what a great story....
I am never good at coming up with a quick slam dunk like that one Lucinda. Great comeback.
I just get mad
and puddle up
like a..
a..
a girl
snicker.
I like that there bull story, too , Meadowlark.
Now that's a man for ya.
If it ticks you off..
by gully,
KILL IT!!!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Nov 03 2005 4:34:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page