Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic
Page: of 9

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Gals you both crack me up!!! Not sure if flies can fly in rain Sue...but if roaches can survive a nuclear blast the little devils probably can and do!!! Lorij, You must have a BIG newspaper or a powerful swing to scare your cats and dogs! LOL

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Sad Day for me today!
Just lost my favorite Hen to a thing called Egg Blockage. Did not know such a thing existed. I will miss her terribly as she was the one of all my 9 hens that always came running to greet me when I came outside or came home from the store. She was so funny and curious always following me around to see what I would turn up with the shovel. For the past month she has faithfully laid one little brown egg each morning announcing it to all the world loud and clear, she was my first to lay and yesterday did not lay an egg but kept going misserably to the nest box. By last night she was dead. I was told by the chicken expert at cenex that this is caused by a genetic defect and there was nothing I could have done to help or prevent this. This morning all of my other chickens are calling loudly like they miss her too. She was a Barred Plymouth Rock and we called her Stars twinkling. In the black bars of her feathers she had areas of teal blue. So very pretty.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile
You girls are too funny!!!!! No fly invasion here yet, but we usually have them.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  12:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, I can definitely complain about flies, we live in dairy country and are surrounded by fields being spread with manure, hate to say it girls but if you think you got some flies, come visit Valley Ford in the fall~

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile
Dear (((Eileen)))
I'm sorry about Stars twinkling's passing.May she rest in peace.
Do you have a plot by your garden for your farm animal family?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Eileen, I just missed your post. I'm sorry to hear of your favorite chickens passing. We can become attached to all of our animals, can't we. (((hugs))) I know you will honor her memory well.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, Lorij, what a kind and sweet offer you made, but ya know, I think I will definately pass this time!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Eileen to hear of your little hen's passing...She sounded like a sweetie. It aches when we lose these precious creatures. My thoughts are with you.
Arlene, I know what you mean about manure all around you... I feel like I live in the middle of a big feedlot sometimes,especially this time of year! YIKES!

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Eileen I am so sorry that you lost your chicken.It is always heart breaking to loss your favorites.

I used to have a big fly problem with all the chickens and the cows.This past summer I used fly traps.They were a bag type with an attractent inside.I went through a dozen of them.The flies just kept going in.We still get a few in the house but I was shock how well this thing worked.Before we would have swarms of them but no hardly any around.Now if they made them for horse flies too I would be very happy.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  6:00:06 PM  Show Profile
When I was in my early 20's I took my Gran furniture shopping with me. The trend then was distressed, paint spattered (peeling hadn't come along yet) and I was looking at these chairs that were cream colored and flecked with little black specks. My Gran turned to me and said "Oh honey, you don't want those fly specked things, no one who ever grew up on a farm would EVER want to see that again!"And then she looked at the price! Can you imagine paying money for reproduction fly specked chairs? I just had NO idea! And I HATE, HATE, HATE flies in the house! BLEEEECCCKKK!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:37:26 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are so very dear to me. Thankyou for your kind words. I gave Stars Twinkling a very special cremation ceremony. It was really kind of a wonderful way to release her. The Ravens came to the two tall trees near the fire pit and spoke their farewells to her and then just about every other bird for miles came to the trees around me and sang their own special songs. Even our creatures get angelic choirs. It was good. Today was Chicken Tractor moving day. This happens once a month here. I think one of my Rhode Island Reds, her name is "Black Tips"(she has black tipped tail feathers) she is trying to take stars twinklings place and spent most of the day following me around like a puppy pecking at my shoes. Two more of my Chickens started to lay today so I guess they are all trying to make up for the loss of their sister.
It has been a good day.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Oct 16 2005 11:45:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  03:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, I just read about your chicken.. We love our animals and we are allowed to grieve their leaving us. How blessed both of you were for having had each other.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  04:10:01 AM  Show Profile
I know you women are probably getting tired of hearing the trails of post hurricane Rita, but I have to vent..

Lake Charles's inner sturcture is returning, but everything is in short supply and takes hours to take care of your needs...You guessed it---people that are rude and trying to cut in lines because their needs are greater than others. I refuse to spend my time out in the city fighting with others over a loaf of bread, a carton of milk. I am not a push over , but I live alone and my needs are small compared to families with small children to feed.

We were aked not to return if we could not be self-sufficient. Our medical community is not in full force--the list goes on and on, but self-centeredness is not a quality we need to have at this special time. I am disappointed that a few discontents can try to ruin the spirit of all of us trying to get back to normal (What is that anyway ?)

I return today and it is better than a week ago, but I am going at this as a woman with a pioneer'' heart....If my forebearers could do what they did, so can I.....so we don't have cable: telephone service, all the food items we usually have : Our little city survived ...some didn't about 25 miles from us. (also, I am stocking up in Lafayeete !!!! )

Thanks for letting me say this -
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  05:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Certainly, Linda. You articulated this condition quite well. Being rude in a time of crisis just is counter-productive, I think. I'm glad you have the Lafayette option available to you. Here's a suggestion, whenever you encounter a person being rude just visualize that you're sending them lots of light-energy to relieve their stress. It will make YOU feel a whole lot better!

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  11:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Clare, for that gentle reminder .
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile
(((Hugs))) Linda.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry about your chicken! What a beautiful name...Stars Twinkling...

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  10:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Linda what is lafayeete?? I have never heard of this. I am sure your pioneer heart will get you thru this. My thoughts are with you.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  02:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I think she was talking about stocking up on food & essentials in another town named Lafayette.Rather than stand in line in her own little area.

PS Blessings to little Twinkling Star's earth mommie.Missing a spirit is the same no matter what earthly form it takes, there is still grief.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  07:39:59 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to assume that you all know of Lafayette, Louisiana...It is a city about 1/2 million people in south Louisiana. An oil city that is the seat of the oil industry in La. and also our off shore rigs that you hear Lorji speak of. That is one reason the gas prices are getting out of hand---some of our rigs are at the bottom of the gulf from the 2 hurrican's.
The companies are trying to salvage them as we speak.

Again, some days I am still addled and I apologize for asuming that you women on the web can read my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  08:19:19 AM  Show Profile
First i must apologize, some of what i do is on your list of vents.
I am a doula, and we run a contracting business, so I carry my cell and take calls all the time. I am one of those who talk on my cell while buying groceries. But i do try to take a # and tell them i am in the grocery store, so i will return their calls later.But those pregnant mamas like to know that they can always find me! And my husband always needs me to pick up more lumber for him.

My pet peeve right now is neighbours! We live in a small rural town. We take great pride in our home and our yard. We are the first house you see as you drive into town...the rest of our street just assumes that since it is a small village, who cares what their yards look like. they moved in mobile homes and plunked them down on a lot, and have done nothing with them in 3 years! They still have piles of dirt, and trees, and mess everywhere, not a blade of grass planted, or a flower for that matter. ARG!!!! makes me so mad. They have a new truck, car and 5th wheel, so i am thinking money isn't the issue. Maybe they should have chose to live in a condo!

Other than neighbours my pet peeves are
*winter
*mosquitoes the size of bees
* snakes
* bratty kids
* people who like to go around from one coffee spot to the next catching all the lastest gossip.

Thats it for today. Have a great weekend all...
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sock_heaven
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile
My biggest pet peeve is poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation (I loved the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves). Guess I should stay off the internet, eh?

[Edit]Case in point: I just edited my post to correct the title of the book.

What would the world be, once bereft/Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;/Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. --Gerard Manley Hopkins

Edited by - sock_heaven on Oct 16 2005 07:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Sorry...LOL

My spelling is ok, but sometimes grammer and punctuation aren't really great!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't sleep last night because in having my bedroom window open to enjoy the cool night breeze I had to listen to my divorced lawyer neighbors loud and rawnchy party down the road....Pardon me girls but this guy is such an arrogant jerk...he built this barn like house down the road from us on the next section ( I can see his place from my front porch) He always used to complain about my lab chasing him when he would jog in front of our house ( now he jogs in town gratefully, because I told him there are NO leash laws in the county!) We tried to be friendly to him when he first moved in...DH dug his SUV out of a snow drift twice with our tractor, trying to be good neighbors. He has tons of parties...and they are loud and last into the wee hours. This guy is 50!!!! He also has an old tractor he never uses sitting in his front yard for decoration....he strung lights on it last night! I know...live and let live...but not to use a good piece of machinery like that....YUK!!!! I enjoy my peace and quiet.

Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  3:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Show up at his party in your jammies! Maybe some curlers. Invite yourself in, and make small talk with all lawyer friends.
Just a suggestion ;-)

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page