Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I looked around my kitchen and wondered...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic
Page: of 6

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  9:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol. I'm going to go tomorrow and see what I can find at Wal-mart. I always hate resorting to Wal-mart, but sometimes it's the only option to find what you need. The funnel probably keeps the rims of your jars clean too, huh? Less wiping, less handling, less burning of my fingers is what I am hoping.

I wish it would rain here. The wind is kicking up and I think we may finally get some, although it's about 16 hours later than they said it would be.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I've been reading up on making grape jam and all the recipes instruct to "slip the grapes from their skins" but offer no advice on how one does this. Any tips?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I pour boiling water over them and then ice water and they should slip right off.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:23:52 AM  Show Profile
I simmer mine in some water to a boil, then I crush them in a old potato masher I found at a flea market, once I have the juice ready, I return it to the stove where I add pectin and sugar, then can. I just picked the last of our grapes last night, didn't have enough for a batch of jelly, so I picked some elderberries and added them, and WOW, does my house smell wonderful, can't wait to taste the jelly! The chickens will get a treat of the grape skins this afternoon, nothing goes to waste.....Happy canning!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art...

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
I have my grandmother's old potato masher. It will be nice to put it to use if I can find it. I don't think it's unpacked yet.

Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:13:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julia

Susie Q, Do you can you Lemon curd? If you do I would love to have the recipe.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Just saw this. Ths board is so big with so many wonderful threads. I think I need an organizer to remember where I've posted.

No, I've never thought to can it. I keep it in the icebox. Usually when I make it, about 12 jars at a time, half of it goes out the door to friends. And I know they use it that week because they know to return the jar. I'm gonna try canning it one of these days. I love to use it on my morning toast or on top of pancakes. It's good too on top of icecream. I'm going to have to try the canning recipe that was pposted.

I also working out a lemon "jam" recipe that is half way between lemon pie filling and lemon curd. So far it's not as gummy as filling nor as thick as curds can be and has a clearer stronger lemon flavor. I'm trying to get the ratio of sugar and cornstarch just right. I'll post it when I'm confident of the result. One batch ended up being a rich lemon syrup.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  04:33:23 AM  Show Profile
SusieQ, to keep you organized just subscribe to the topics you posted on and all replys will be in your inbox, so handy! Let us know how you final recipe comes out for lemon jam, have you tried a lemon marmalade, it's easy and sweet!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.....

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile
ooo!Lemon Marmalade, wanna share the recipe? I made some ginger marmalade, very nice! The lemon and ginger would be a good combination, me thinks.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Edited by - Julia on Sep 09 2005 10:44:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  11:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Couple of ideas...for a canning funnel, I bought a cheap plastic one from the dollar store and just sawed off the pointy end. :)
My recipe for salsa is very similar to Aunt Jenny's...I've made 50 pints so far this year and the kids have already been into it. I do add a bit of vinegar to boost the acidity and also celery. If/when you skim off some of the liquid that comes to the top as it simmers, don't throw it away. Freeze it and use it instead of water when adding the spices to ground beef to make tacos. Might even make a good spicy soup base. I can't stand anything going to waste.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  1:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey julia, I can share my recipe, but all you have to do really is take any orange marmalade recipe and use all lemons! Yum, yes the ginger added to the lemon marmalade would be nice. I've got to get started making jellies for gifts baskets soon.....And ladies, if anyone of you belong to the sisterhood of the traveling art, please share your recipes for our website, just go to our mail art forums. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  8:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Junebug! I can't help thinking, whenever I see your name, about my Mom and her first trip to Arkansas. She came to stay with us when I had our 2nd daughter. SHe was staying up late to do some sewing in the back room. It was July, hot and humid. All we had for air-conditioning was an attic fan. SO at night we'd opened up the front and back door, and and a couple windows with screens, to get a cross breeze. After getting up to nurse afore mentioned daughter I went to see what Mom was up to. When I went in the room I couldn't believe what I saw. Mom had opened the windows to get some breeze, but none of the windows had screens. The room was full of junebugs from being sucked in by the fan, and Mom was diligently sewing while swatting bugs. It was hilarious!

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Julia, thanks for sharing that funny memory with us, what a site that must of been!! What part of Arkansas did you live? They do get more bugs than we do here! What always gets me is why do we get Junebugs in July? LOL

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art....

Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Was given a bag of beets today and a box of ripe tomatoes. Guess I'm still not finished canning. Along with those, I'm drying my onions to store in our basement and digging up potatoes. My kitchen still isn't the way it should be. However, I love seeing the shelves filling up once again.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen is a disaster area today..in a good way....3 lugs of peaches waiting for canning tomorrow, a 1/2 box of nectarines that I am cutting up and drying..a dehydrator full of nectarines, (the kitchen SMELLS wonderful!!) and a basket of onions and one of cherry tomatoes to dry too (AFTER the nectarines) and in the family rooom 4 5 gallon buckets of tomaotes..one almost ripe and threee that still have awhile. We are getting frost at night so I picked all I could from the plants that I didn't cover and cover the rest at night..lots of plants..got more things to cover them tonight (thrift store blankets, sheets and tablecloths) but will be ripening at least these inside...and basket of peppers to chop and freeze for the salsa I will can up as the tomatoes get ripe. Someone just has to bring me over 1/2 a deer and the picture will be complete..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  7:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Picked a 1/2 bushel of green beans today. Dilly Beans tomorrow.
Junebug, We lived in Conway at the time of the story. My Dh was finishing college. We have also lived in Hope and Hot Springs. DH grew up in Hot Springs. To hot and humid for this native Oregonian.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile
My goodness Aunt Jenny, I get weary reading about all of your endevors! What would you do with the 1/2 deer? Let me guess, make venison summer sausage! I would love it if you posted pics of your pantry and all the goodies you have canned! It would be awesome!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:49:02 AM  Show Profile
It is in my cellar...I wish I had nicer shelves down there..but there is alot of stuff..I will have to do that (take pictures) sometime..when I get it straightend up nicer after canning season I will for sure. I love to go down there!!
The deer...stew meat and jerky no doubt! I have made breakfast sausage before but havn't done summmer sausage..now there is an idea..hmmm last year I did have a freind bring a deer over to butcher on my kitchen table that her husband got..she had never done it so she gave half the meat for "helping her" ..she visited with me while I did it. I don't mind though..grew up doing that. I wish my husband were more of a hunter than he is!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  07:38:35 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmm! I love deer brats and summer sausage and jerky!!! I never thought about drying onions?! How do you store them after your dry them????? I think I may need to do this.......

Aunt Jenny-Do you ever sleep?!?!?!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Sep 14 2005 07:39:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Bread & Butter pickles are soaking in salt and ice. They'll be ready to cook up in another hour or so.

Beets are cooking. I'm making beet relish. The cabbage, onions and red peppers are all chopped up. Another 1/2 hr. and the beets will be ready to be chopped up and then I can make the relish.

Were hoping to get a deer this year too.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile
I want a cellar! It would be a great place to hid when I need some me time :)

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, our pantry at the Sisterhood of the Traveling Art website is bare, we need your recipes, any and all are welcomed, thought since were all busy canning, this would be a nice place to start, I know I'd love to see some of your canning recipes, but don't be shy, send me any of your favorite recipes and I"ll get them to the website master....lol Also, if you havne't checked us out yet, please do so at the link below. Thanks to all who donate recipes......
www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  9:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Beet relish..now that sounds good. I did pickled beets a couple weeks ago..I love them..but have never even tasted beet relish. I know I would love it.
I had quite a kitchen day today...canned 27 quart jars of peaches, and 14 quart jars of peach pie filling, made 2 peach cobblers and dried more nectarines...made shoyu chicken for supper and brought all the ripe tomatoes in to the kitchen for the salsa I will can tomorrow. Whew. I may just sleep tonight for a change!! Oh..and got the onions drying. I slice them and dry them until crispy and store in quart canning jars to use in stir fries, stews and all sorts of ways. They are great that way..especially the red onions..yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Over the weekend, I did 9 qts. and 1 pt. of Bread & Butter pickles. I also did 9 qts. and 1 pt. of cucumber relish.

Now I have zucchini's to shred up and freeze.

I hope this will end soon. My kitchen is still a disaster!!

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  11:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Lots of canning divas here...Aunt Jenny, what is shoyu chicken? Sounds good!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

peaceriverwoman
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

rita

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a kitchen full of canning jars and all of the wonderful bounty of the garden... and I will as soon as I finish college! One more year to go and counting!

So often times it happens, we live our life in chains and never even know we have the key. (the Eagles)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page