Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I looked around my kitchen and wondered...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic
Page: of 6

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  04:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I've never froze lemon curd, and I don't think it would freeze well at all? As for a double boiler, I don't own one either, I just use a small pot over a big one and it works for me. Have fun!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Aunt Jenny on the freezing, it loses something in the process. It doesn't seem smooth or creamy afterward. I made the FarmChick's Lemon Curd recipe this summer and it was good too. Thanks for the info about canning, I have always just made it like refrigerator jam and given it away soon after making it. This way I can get a head start on Christmas treats! Don't know why I never thought of it, the market sells it packaged for shelf life! And expensive to boot $8.00 for a SMALL jar girls! And it's not nearly as good as homemade!
Larenya- Lemon curd -lemon meringue pie flavor but made as a thick, creamy "sauce" you can use for dipping, topping or filling (like between cake layers) If you like lemons...it's heavenly and so easy to make. I don't have a double boiler either!
Have a great day everyone!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  4:30:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by countrymamma

Over the weekend, I did Bread & Butter pickles, cucumber relish and more applesauce. I also froze some shredded zucchini. It just smelt so good cooking those pickles.

~Carol

Hi Carol (I love the Countrymama name, too)
Wondering if you can share Bread&Butter Pickles 'how to' with me? My wonderful neighbor lady & I were trading zucchini use ideas, and she wondered if I knew how to do cucumber pickles...She & her DH are so good to us, I'd love to help her out.
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Bread & Butter pickles

About 6 lbs. cucumbers (pickling)
4 large onions
1/2 c. salt
4 c. vinegar
4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. celery salt
2 tsp. turmeric
2 tbsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. mixed pickling spice (I don't use this)

Slice cucumbers and onions. (I use my food processor for this. Goes a lot quicker.)

Cover with ice and salt. (I use ice cubes - 1 1/2 trays.) Leave sit for 3 hours. (I keep it in the fridge and have even left them overnight.)

Drain and rinse thoroughly. (I don't rinse, just drain well.)

Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil in large pot. Boil 10 minutes (I usually only boil for 5 minutes.) Add cucumbers & onions and bring to a boil again.

Fill hot jars with cucumbers & onions, adding liquid to fill the jar 1/4 inch from the top. Seal. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 7 pints.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  07:45:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol!
Go to Top of Page

phillytoo
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Phyllis
Canton MI
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  09:10:46 AM  Show Profile
HERBS! That's what I have in my kitchen today. In my Nesco dehydrator, I put parsley (both curly and flat), sage, a couple sprigs of rosemary, and thyme. I'm saving my basil to make Pesto, so I'm not drying that.

What a lovely aroma it all makes!

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Hooray for herbs!!!!! I should get one more picking of mine, can't have enough fresh and dried herbs, esp. for the holidays. I'm getting ready to pick elderberries for my flu syrup and if I have enough, some jelly too. :) Happy harvest to all!!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron.....

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile
I am hand grinding wheat for bread flour. I have a whole truck of wheat stored in my shed from last harvest I am using. I am also using grapes for natural yeast for a starter for sourdough, going natural all the way here!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Having been given a bunch of beets, I made beet pickles today. With the beet juice leftover from cooking the beets, I made beet jelly. Just can't see throwing out the liquid when I can make jelly with it.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  1:52:01 PM  Show Profile
I am chopping the peppers I hurriedly picked from all the plants yesterday. wE had a little frost night before last...a surprize that wasn't nice. Wiped out the cuke plants..so I had to pick them all too..only two plants so not a big losss...but still!! And so I will chop all the peppers up for salsa and freeze them until the tomatoes are ready. My tomatoes seem to be unharmed for the most part..one plant of the 30 looks a little wilted and dark, but the tomatoes on it seem okay. The peppers seemed to be stressed pretty bad and the pumpkin leaves curled up and turned dark. Jeesh!! Thought we would have at least a couple more safe weeks without frost! Didn't get quite as cold last night. I just want some tomatoes to get ripe before I have to start picking them green to ripen inside...like every year..but still!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I don't have 30 tomato plants, but those that I do have I have covered with plastic over the tops and down part way on the sides. It helps with heat retention, keeps the moisture off and also aides in the ripening. You might consider something like that.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  4:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all for the 411 on lemon curd, sounds delicious!!

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

amaron
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

12 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  6:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I have to say, I am jealous of the kitchens I've read about here. One day I hope that's what my kitchen will be like. I am just learning about canning and freezing and dehydrating - I can't wait until I have it all together and actually do some of that! I would love to have some of you/all of you as my neighbors so I could just pop over and watch it being done.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  04:51:15 AM  Show Profile
amaron, we've all been there and are still learning! It's nice to see more women taking up canning and preserving in any way, with the aftermath of the disaster down south, I think we need to stock up more than ever, so keep learning and canning! Welcome to the group!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art...

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  3:01:47 PM  Show Profile
12 more quarts of pickles and lavender and lemopn verben hanging to dry. Next is Zucchini salsa.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny,
Do you can your salsa,if so I would love the recipe,I have tomatoes and peppers starting to come ready.
Thanks,
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  9:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Yes I do. I will post the recipe tomorrow..very tired and not thinking clearly much tonight...but I will post it. I can it ALOT every year.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  6:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks that would be wonderful.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  8:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Salsa

7 quarts of tomatoes
1/2 cup vinegar
2 cups anaheim chiles
4 to 5 green peppers
4 to 7 jalapeno peppers
1 7oz can El Pato hot
mexican sauce
4 to 5 onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro if you have it (my husband isn't a cilantro fan..
so I make one batch without each year)
6 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp of garlic powder (or 4 or 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced (I use a garlic press)
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp oregano
2 to 3 -6oz cans tomato paste (see note below)
Prepare tomatoes by blanching, skinning and chopping them. Seed and chop Anaheim chiles, green and jalapeno peppers. Dice onions. Add all ingredients to a very large pot and simmer 30 minutes Place in jars and process in water bath 40 to 45 minutes.
* if your salsa is at all runny add the tomato paste. This is, more often than not, determined by the type of tomato you are using. I like to use half regular tomatoes and half Roma. When I do this I am less likely to add the tomato paste. It works fine either way..I just like it to be thick.
It is also good served fresh before canning.
I hope you like it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  7:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm cross posting this from another forum in Welcome Wagon. I'm so excited I just had to spread it around.

I'm SO excited. I just finished my first batch of plum preserves from my own plum tree. They're delicious, I just had some of the leftovers that wouldn't fill a jar. My jars are sitting on the counter with the lids popping now.

I just have one question. How do you all keep from burning your hands over and over? My fingertips are really sore now from dripping the hot preserves while filling the jars and trying to handle the jars and hot lids to get them closed up. Am I missing some tools?

Tomorrow or Thursday I'm going down to the neighbor's house who is selling grapes. I don't know what kind they are, but I can't wait to make jam with them. And, I'm definitely going to get out to my overgrown orchard and see if I can save some apples from the deer. What a satisfying feeling this is.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Sep 06 2005 7:47:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
My husband comes home on the weekend and just wishes he could find the kitchen. I am in a slow canning mode. i can can every four days without wiping out with fatigue, but he soon remembers why we are in a state of disarray and pitches it to help the kids clean up after our canning daze! He enjoys sharing the fruit of our harvest, so he gets to help cleanup too!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow It sounds like you girls have all been very busy. Canning is something I say I'll try every year, but never get around to it, but this year still isn't over...... I have a question for you somemakers out there. How do you prepare yourselves for the lye process? Gloves, goggles, rain-suit? I want to be fully prepared before I embark on the soap making train. thanks, mellaisbella

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  3:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, sounds like a question for The Soap Maven!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the wonderful recipes. I have can so far jams and fruit. I need to make pickles next.
Farm girl want to be. :)
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  7:03:30 PM  Show Profile
LJRphoto, I have a canning funnel that I use. No more burnt fingers for me. I also have a jar lifter that I purchased quite cheaply, just can't remember where.

When I'm putting the lids on, I just use a dish towel to hold the jar in place. That way you don't get burnt finger tips.

Today I dug up a few hills of potatoes and made perogies, 4 1/2 doz. I frozen them all. Tomorrow I plan on making more. Our basement is still damp from all the rain we had this year so I won't be able to store my potatoes just yet. This way, none are going to waste.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page