Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I looked around my kitchen and wondered...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic
Page: of 6

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  4:02:13 PM  Show Profile
*drools conspicuously in anticipation*

Y'know, you could feel free to post a picture of yer grapevines, too! I think they're so pretty, all lined up in nice neat rows!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I wanna come over for a glass of wine!!!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Kay,
You just took the words right outa my mouth.
I 'll bring some fresh goat cheese.
Got crackers??

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Aug 18 2005 5:53:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
You need help picking grapes????

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Ooh ooh, I make a killer Boursin!! I'd bring some of that & some wheat crackers. (Um, assuming I wasn't so bloody far away, I mean.) Hey, and I can even bring entertainment...dh is in several bands.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:09:14 AM  Show Profile
When my humble little vineyard is a true winery and I have a grand opening bash all of my farmgirls sisters are invited! We are putting in living quarters in the barn and you all can crash here! We'll make this a Kansas farmgirl "happening" Celtic Coyote, what kind of bands are husband in? Kim, heck yes! I could always use an extra set of hands! Labor day weekend is usually grape picking time...if the weather holds! It is so hard to gauge the exact point of ripeness of the grapes though.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 19 2005 09:09:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:25:19 AM  Show Profile
I'll be here Labor Day Weekend. How far are you from Overland Park Kansas??

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile
I'll email you Kim!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, my husband is the drummer in Gold Coast Refuse (www.goldcoastrefuse.com), as well as two as-yet-unnamed bands and his own solo project. Gold Coast Refuse is an alternative country/rock band, and has recently released a cd (feel free to check 'em out on their website...you can listen to several songs for free, and buy the cd if you really like them). The unnamed bands are actually one & the same, but with different formats...the first incarnation is an electronica thing, with my sweetie's electronic kit, keyboards, guitar, bass, and a really awesome electric violin. The second incarnation is the exact same group of guys as the first, but it's a cheesy cover band. They figure learning a huge bunch of covers is really easy, and it's a fast way to earn some bucks without much effort. They do a lot of 80s & 90s tunes, with some weird ones mixed in (They Might Be Giants, Tom Jones, Devo, 70s funk, etc.). The violin player is barely 18 years old, and absolutely amazing. He also teaches music at the same studio as my husband, and they get along wonderfully, despite the age difference (he's a surprisingly mature kid). The solo project is an electronica/dj/house/ambient/weird thing...he has this electronic kit that he adores, and he writes a ton of dance/club music. It's still in the beginning/writing stages, and he hasn't performed with it yet, but he's getting there.

He's been playing drums for more than twenty years, and teaching for about eight. Music truly is his life, and while I do sometimes wish I had more room in my living room (his kit & gear take up a LOT of space!), I honestly enjoy having it (and him) around.

Um, sorry about that...I bet you didn't expect an answer *quite* that long.
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Heather
Ontario
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  09:33:08 AM  Show Profile
My kitchen~I look around my kitchen and see containers filled with tomatoes (DH just brought those in this morning), green and red peppers in an old egg basket, 3 small jars of peach jam on the counter, chili sauce that I'm using in a sauce that I brought up from the cellar, strainers, measuring cups and pots on the stove. I will be making lots of chili sauce this week..mmm! Oh and there are two zuchinnis....I've grated up three of them already and put in the freezer for loaves and muffins this winter. I will cut one of these up for dipping and freeze the other.

I also think our grandma's, aunts and loved ones would be very proud. It's such a comfort knowing that this winter we'll be eating the fruits of our labour.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen normally looks likes all of you busy canners, but my gas stove went out and we haven't been able to find a decent used one just yet, plus our garden didn't do so well this year with the drought and heat. But I do enjoy hearing about all of yours and this time next year I too will be SO busy canning the harvest, sure do miss it.

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:17:06 PM  Show Profile
I am jealous our garden got put in so late because of the cold here that everything is just starting to get ready to be picked.My peas didn't make it and I still haven't gotten a green bean yet.We are just starting to have tomatoes ready.I have everything ready to can but no produce yet.

Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  09:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Alicia, my tomatoes are just starting to ripen too. Got a late start myself.
We'll be canning in October, I'll bet. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Over the weekend, I did Bread & Butter pickles, cucumber relish and more applesauce. I also froze some shredded zucchini. It just smelt so good cooking those pickles.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you gals who got their gardens in late. I only grew tomatoes. Love those tomato and mayo sandwiches. But several of my plants have no tomatoes on them yet...ugh. I guess we need to do some fertalizing next year. I wish I had grown zucchini. When my kids were little we grew so much of it they grew to hate it. I have to admit we put it in everything. But I still enjoy it. It has gotten so spendy at the market...I'll try to remember to get some at the Farmer's Market this weekend.

I actually sold all of my canning jars (60 dozen of them) before I moved to Idaho 14 years ago. First hubby and I had a massive garden in No. California and we literally lived off of the 'putting up' I did every summer for several years. But when I moved I no longer had access to gardening or fruits...so why keep the jars or move them. Plus I was so busy raising four kids by myself...survival took priority. Well, I am now wanting to can again. I have really missed it over the last few years. So I bought a dozen wide mouth quarts sized this passed weekend at a yard sale. Not sure what will go in them, but I'll come up with something. My DH says, "where are you going to put them when you fill them?" I said I did not know. This modern house built 30 years ago has no extra places for such things. We've taken a closet in the house and made it into a pantry, but it is already full of goods.

One day I'll have my dream house that will have a butler's pantry for everything extra...like canned goods, my large canner, pressure cooker, food dehydrator, etc. I want my kitchen to be the biggest room in the house!

Where do you girls put all of this stuff you are putting up?

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile
I have a wonderful old cellar with shelves..I love it..in CAlif I had a real problem with storage...all the closets..including the kid's closets had boxes of jars of canned goods. It was nuts. I have had garage shelves in use for that too at another house. It is nice to not have that problem. A Butler's pantry would be so nice....that would be in my dream house also!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  8:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My Mormon girlfriends put their beds up on blocks and stored all their canned goods under there during their apartment years!!

PS the goodwill usually has canning jars for 10 cents each this time of year
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  9:27:23 PM  Show Profile
At the moment the only sign of canning is the big crock of saurkraut fermenting in the corner and a large pile of zucchinis. Though tomorrow it will be blueberry syrup and Earl Grey Tea jelly. Thursday will be blackberry picking day so friday will be jam day. I love this time if year! Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  10:03:38 PM  Show Profile
I noticed today that my plums are getting ripe so I will be doing plum jelly sometime this week..my girl's favorite.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  10:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Julia, how do you make Earl Grey Tea Jelly? And do you eat it like jam? I LOVE Earl Grey Tea, and you're got me so intrigued!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  12:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Julie, earl grey tea sounds to me to ,cause I also love it, Please tell us how to make it. :)
thanks
Shirley in OLy
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:45:34 AM  Show Profile
in my kitchen are the green tomato and apple and onion peelings from making 24pts. of green tomato relish waiting for me to walk them to the compost.

Heather
i'm a musician too, appreciate the link to your husband's music. ;)
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Julia-- Please let us know how you make Earl Grey Tea Jelly! It sounds very interesting! I have just about conquered the peaches and am moving on to relishes again, arrrggghh....too much chopping! What did our Grandmas do without food processors? It is my most used appliance this time of year!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Meditate on the fruits of the harvest? Along with my knife and board I'm the processor.
Does the peach fuzz make you itch?
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Check out my article on Tea Jellies at the link below, I'm sure the Earl Gray is made very similar. Just tooting my own horn here!! :)
www.pioneerthinking.com/sn_teajellies.html

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and Apron....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page