Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I looked around my kitchen and wondered...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic
Page: of 6

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
What does everyone else's kitchen look like at this time of the year.

I have canning jars everywhere, crabapples sitting in a pail, a pile of carrots from the garden than are ready to cut up and freeze, along with a huge batch of Swiss chard. Along with these, there are plastic containers waiting to be filled, different sizes of plastic bags on my counter, strainer, bowls and my food processor.

I have qts. of applesauce sitting on my kitchen cupboard along with pts. of pickled beets ready to be stored for the winter.

Nothing much seems in order right now, however it sure feels good to know that my pantry is filling up along with my freezer. Soon, the kitchen will once again look like its suppose to, however right now it looks exactly like my great grannies and grandmothers did at this time of the year. As farming girls way back when, they'd be so proud of me, I just know it.

How does your kitchen look right now?

~Carol

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  08:41:08 AM  Show Profile
My kitchen is in similar shape.

Containers and bags at the ready, tomatoes everywhere (waiting for enough to do something with, but I keep eating them), hot peppers strung out across the window drying, a pile of zucchini on the table, and golden peppers next to the tomatoes in a strainer. Oh yes, and a big container of green beans, and a few lonely onions.

Vegetable jubilee is on the menu for dinner (I slice a bunch of garden stuff up, lightly sautee in olive oil, and pour over spag noodles...YUM).
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile
I warned my family that it was just going to look like this for the next two months. They are resigned because they want the benefits. I just finished blackberry jam and have a bit of a lull until peaches and apples are on. The varieties I like are a bit later. Until last week, I had appricots, strawberries,cherries and tomatos on my counters. I now am working on blackberries and can't seem to get totally on top of the cukes. Might have to make some pickles. Wow, I just remembered: I need to get another 25# of sugar.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, my kitchen is just a mess, and not because of canning. I don't have a garden, and we're in the midst of a nasty drought, so it's kinda tough to come by really good, fresh produce that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. In a couple weeks, though, I reaaaallly hope to put up some peach butter! Ooooooh, but that's goooood eating. While I'm at it, I'd like to can a few jars of pumpkin butter, and then when the apples really kick in, I'm making some apple butter too. Um, can you tell I like fruit butters? I really do enjoy canning. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much apple butter I'll be able to do, because my favorite orchard was hit with a horrible frost this past April, and it really screwed their crop. They're only doing the u-pick on two out of nearly 20 varieties this year! Of course, as long as they have the cider donuts, we'll be okay...
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile
In another week if the weather cooperates my kitchen will be full of wine grapes for making jellies. My Catawbas are almost ready to pick and before selling some to a winery I pick a bushel or two and make the tastiest PINK grape jelly on the planet! Would any of you like some for mail art? My sisters can be my "test market" for Home farmed Catawba jelly. It is delicous on sourdough breads and muffins! Oh and I always put up some dill/ bread and butter mix this time of year.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 16 2005 5:42:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Medowlark!

Sign me up for the test market! That jelly sounds divine!

My kitchen is messy due to my soap making buisness. I found a wonderful spot for picking wild berries not too far from Moscow, but I think I missed the peak of the season. Next year I need to head out in Mid July to get the best I think. I need to learn how to can before then...

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:02:49 PM  Show Profile
As soon as I get them done a jar will be on its way to you Alee!

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, HECK yeah, Meadowlark!!! (I need a drooling smiley...) I'd LOVE to test your jelly! Mmmm, edible mail art...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Meadowlark-

If you would like to- I could send you a sample of my soaps as a trade?

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:42:13 PM  Show Profile
wow! What a neat mail art THAT would be Jenny!!!
My kitchen is a canning mess right now too...clean but cluttered with clean jars upside down on a towell on the counter, canner empty on the stove for tomorrow, jars of pickled peppers on the other side of the counter..ready to be taken down to the cellar for storage (all but the best looking one..which will be entered in the county fair on Monday afternoon) and stacks of boxes of pectin, and jar lids. I plan to do some jelly tomorrow and am hoping to start getting ripe tomatoes soon..only cherry size so far...but boy are they tasty..sweet 100's and yellow pear. I am making zuchinni relish tomorrow too if I can find my recipe. A "friend" dropped off some HUGE zuchinni (I like them small and tender) that are only good for relish or grating for zuchinni bread..there are enough for both! So I need to get them processed tomorrow too. It will be nice to be home and doing "kitchen stuff" tomorrow..since I was gone most of today. We have company coming on Friday afternoon..to visit for a few days so I will let myself have my fun tomorrow and clean up on Thursday.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  03:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I would also love to taste your pink catawba jelly.........
I will send you one of my best selling "Stiff Neck Salve" in exchange!
OOh I can't wait.
I make concord jelly (dh's favorite) and we are just finishing our last jar from last years harvest.
Thanks so much for the offer.

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  04:44:17 AM  Show Profile
It was gray and drizzling here yesterday and we had a big wind storm Sunday night so it was time to salvage a few things. It was a salsa making extravaganza yesterday as we maded 16 quarts of various and assorted flavors. The triple pepper version was enough to singe your nose hair, I kept going outside to the side porch to catch my breath!
Also made some batches of gazpacho(thank you very much Blue Egg Babe Susan!)Today it's on to relish (pepper and pickililli) and then on to peaches( brandied, spiced ,plain and jam). I love this time of year, I can just see us all in winter pulling out our bounty and feeling a surge of pride as we know we provided our families with good wholesome food not just in the seasons we grew it, but also for several more to come. In my area it is rare to find anyone who cans and people are just amazed that I "still" do it when the market is a mile away. But nobody has any complaints when they sit down to eat it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:25:25 AM  Show Profile
Celtic Coyote---I would love to have your recipe for apple and peach butter!!! I LOVE apple butter and the peach one sounds soooo yummy. I made apple butter a while back but didn't turn out well at all!!! Need a new recipe.

Sorry for hijacking the thread
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:38:10 AM  Show Profile
countrymamma, my kitchen is the same. I try to organize it but there is no point in putting it all away just to haul it out again in a day or two. Right now I'm doing up chokecherry jelly and syrup and the broccoli. My crabapples aren't ready yet.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  12:07:53 AM  Show Profile
WOW , Im glad there are others that have messy kitchens, I have canning stuff all over, plus soapmaking stuff all over. But thats not all, my dinning room table is covered up with dyed handspun yarn, that I have been dying for the last 2 days, getting ready to put labels on it for the 17 day Puyallup fair, and knitting needles ive been making to go with the yarn in scarf kits. and beads on the other half of the table that ive been making beaded bracelets for Christmas presents. We kinda just eat here and there in between STUFF ROFL Im also knitting things for I do the Olympia farmers market, and sell my soap and handspun things. whew I got tired just rereading what I just wrote.
But is a good life I live
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  01:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey Shirley...where will you be at the Fair? I want to meet another Farm Girl! I LOVE the Puyallup Fair, can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  05:07:46 AM  Show Profile
i must admit i'm quite envious of you all who are busy with your gardens. this year i'm in school full time and working part time so the garden was one of the things that i had to put down for a season. we shop at the farmer's market and that's wonderful but somehow not quite the same. we will make apple butter this fall-we're giving small pints of it as favors at my oldest daughter's wedding-but that will be all I do this year.

how blessed your families are to have you!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  06:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
Can I come by and pick up a jar of jelly???????

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well, my kitchen currently has drywall dust all over the floor, the cabinets are in the living room waiting to be painted and the pantry is devoid of everything, including shelves! No fridge, no stove, no table, nothing.

:)

Just had to throw in some humor.
Can I visit somebody's cheefully full kitchen? I'll help can!!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, add me the list of jelly testers if you have any left? I'd like to compare it to my grape jelly, not sure what kind of grapes I have but sure are good! I can send you a jar of my salsa or zucchini relish in exchange? Edible mail art, now that's a concept! LOL

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  12:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Diane or Holly,
I will be under the grandstand in the Artists in Action part, they tore down our old buildings ,so we will be there somewhere near where the taffy is(if its till there) but I will only be there 8 days doing my shifts, so just ask for me and if im there that day, they should know.
It would be nice to see you!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen had all the counters full of soapmaking supplies this AM. The counters were covered in newspaper, then there were jars of oils, bottles of essential oils, and all the other items we needed. But 2 hours later it's back to normal and the soap is curing away under towels and a blanket.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  1:41:45 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Hi Meadowlark

I am not a cook, but I would love to be a taste tester. I could easily go to our local farmers market and pick up something to send. We also have a local shop that sells lots of Amish foods. Just keep me posted on what I can send in exhange.

Can't wait.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  1:55:56 PM  Show Profile
You gals are the best! I don't need anything in exchange, Your friendship is the exchange...Just need honest feedback about it... Gotta get busy on this! It is in the 100's here and very humid and the grapes are ripening very fast... I am in the process of designing a label right now...but next week will be up to my apron strings in sticky grapes! On the side I am making a little fresh Catawba wine...unfortunately can't send that to you all, if I did you'd all have to write me at my local "crowbar motel" aka county jail

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 18 2005 1:59:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  3:07:57 PM  Show Profile
hi meadowlark-

i bet it smells so gooood in your kitchen!

if you still need a taste tester, count me in! can send some apple butter in about a month-making a test batch next weekend.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  3:15:32 PM  Show Profile
I just thought edible mailart will be fun...and I want to share with my farmgirl friends the bounty of my vineyard, no strings attached. I have 2 acres of grapes, roughly 700 plants! That is alot of grape jelly!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I looked around my kitchen and wondered... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page