Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there with the holiday blues? I just can't seem to rally up my Christmas spirit and I truly feel down in the dumps this year. No real reason just got the dumpies I guess.
hugs jessie

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile
My daughter was just saying she couldn't seem to get into the holiday spirit this year either. There is no real reason she said,just not in the spirit yet. It will probably hit you when you least expect it. It has a way of sneaking up on you. Some little thing triggers it and away you'll go! Everyone gets a time like this.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Jessie I am TOTALLY with you sweets!!

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  7:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Is it just seasonal??? LOL Seriously, I get overwhelmed this time of year. From about October 1 to January, I feel like I am always in a hurry. I try not to let it but it does!! One day at a time Lord...one day at a time!!!!
((BIG)) HUGS>..........
Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I am a seasonal weather dumpee. I am normally fine until after the holidays. Then I take a huge nose dive. But maybe not this year. If we keep having sunshine more like we have been. It just may not happen.
But when Stores but there Christmas items out on or before Halloween, you been looking at it for months already, How can anyone have the Christmas Spirit. They don't play the tradtional Christmas Music over and over anymore. Store employees not allow to say Merry Christmas, which I say it anyway. Children who are growing up, doesn't get that Ole' Christmas feeling/Spirit. The world has changed Tradition. I have notice in the last couple of years its taking longer and longer to find the Spirit. ITs a sad, how everything changing...

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.

Edited by - debinmtns on Dec 10 2007 07:00:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile
I get that way every year, my DH is in retail and it just takes the fun out of the hoildays for me.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  08:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, for some reason I've been kind of down for about a week and a half. I'm not sure if it's weather related or the time of year (daylight time getting shorter). Usually this feeling doesn't hit me until after the holidays are over, but for some reason this year it's come early. And I don't really have any reason to be feeling down, everything is going ok here for me and my family. There's been some bad news nationally lately and that might be a part of it, but I'm not really sure.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  10:40:47 AM  Show Profile
For us, it's monetarily related--just no mullah, so I haven't been getting out and about with all the holiday crazies...I don't normally, but I do like to go downtown and visit the train displays and see the department stores all lit up like Miracle on 34th Street.

It's also been raining here for like 7 days. That may have something to do with my blues!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Not typically, but this year, yes--Dumpy Me. Blah. Everything. Blah.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Dear Jessie,

I feel your hurt, but please have hope that something or someone will light up your day and give you a warm holiday feeling. I too get the holiday blues, but not consistently, only when I feel overwhelmed with life. My husband is in Iraq this holiday, and I have decided to do something I wouldn't normally do...I downsized my decorating, my gift giving lists, and my activities and it seems to be helping with my mood. Instead of seeking out a particular feeling, I am letting myself enjoy simplier things....yesterday my 8 yr old and 16 yr old and I cut out snowflakes from white paper for a good hour. It was so simple, so fun, so cherished. I pray you will be blessed with a simple Christmas moment to spark your mood. I know how hard it is to find it sometimes....but have hope in the miracle of the holiday..the miracle of Jesus's birth...that is the true meaning of Christmas.

Farmgirl Hugs & Merry Christmas friend,
Erica
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Erica, beautifully said. And I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
And everyone else you Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
turn the Holiday music up and start dancing. sing out loud.;0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Dec 10 2007 11:58:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for sharing. You all are such a blessing and I am trying to keep in mind the whole idea of Christmas in the first place ---to celebrate the beautiful birth and life of Jesus. I am getting so wrapped up in the "spirit" of Christmas; the presents; the cards; the outlandish credit card bills....thank you all for sharing and I hope we can all find the beauty in the holidays and the "spirit" of the season in the simple things. :)
Merry Christmas my dear friends!
hugs jessie

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I literally have that seasonal depression on top of just normal depression (just my chemicals I was born with) and I am currently fighting it. I normally tan in a tanning bed in the winter (yes I know) and it helps. Try taking some vitamin D or going for walks OUTSIDE! Get out there and meet up with friends and family. The weather is rainy today and I had a fight with the BF and his friend and just other stuff. You are NOT ALONE we are all here for you as I'm guessing you have people around you too. Listen to music and use aromatherapy to lift your spirits. Make sure you're getting enough and not too much sleep. Look at what you're eating too. etc. I hope this helps. Don't worry if you don't get in the mood for the holidays it's OK! Find things that make you happy. XOXO feel free to contact me if you want more help.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  1:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I feel Christmassy this year, but I just can't get anything done thanks to first trimester fatigue. I wear down so quickly these days.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile
To get myself in the holiday spirit, I put my favorite Christmas CD's on, bake my favorite holiday cookies and then enjoy it all with hot chocolate. This always cheers me up & gets me in the mood to decorate & celebrate! Watching my favorite Christmas movies, "White Christmas", "Holiday Inn", and "A Christmas Story" also helps! I hope you'll be able to cheer up soon and enjoy the holidays!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1793 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1793 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Most years I have gifts bought and cards mailed by Thanksgiving but this year am way behind due to some family issues. I have resorted to gift cards for the most part but bought a few gifts for the grandkids.
Decided maybe jamas and books they would like is a good start. My older grandson wanted heelies so we bought that for him. Have cards made out but not mailed. I am trying to have a more Christian focused Christmas that focusing on gifts. I hate crowds and shopping in crowds and that is what it is now until the holiday.
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  04:25:30 AM  Show Profile
I horribly miss the heat and sun this time of year too :( I usually get all blue and yucky at xmas . But last 5 or 6 years i take on a project or two to cheer me up, I do presents for Friends of pine ridge reservation . I work on them year round and love to wrap them and mail . Then this year i added doing fudge baskets for a friend who needed several doz for work gifts and had no extra money. I just finished them and it really made me feel good to help her. She is so excited about getting baskets put together today and wrapped. Seeing her so happy makes me happy.I love xmas movies and music . I relax and work on jewlery and watch them every day i am home .I horribly miss my daughter this time of year. She gets to come home day after xmas this year !! and stay a week. It also helps to see xmas thru kids eyes. Last 2 years i have started inviting a neighbors daughter over to help me decorate. Living by myself isnt much fun come decorating time . She is coming over this week --maybe today after church and help me . Her mom dont let her help much at home with it --SOOOOO we have a ball !! (They have too many breakable things). I just tell her if it breaks --IT IS OK. It is just STUFF after all. It can be glued or fixed most times anyway :) We will wrap presents for her family that i showed her how to make. LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My Etsy store is http://www.shadowsofthegoddess.etsy.com My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/

Edited by - tribalcime on Dec 16 2007 04:33:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  06:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh I hear ya sweets!!! I've been down that road! This year seems much better!(Could be I'm finally on anti-depressants....hmmm...LOL!) Anyways I'm sending you out a huge hug!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  06:17:58 AM  Show Profile
I am feeling it, and I think with me it's coming from the sun (I was in Arizona for two months), back into the grey rainy weather. I think I may have a bit of SAD. Don't get me wrong, I love Washington and couldn't live without the green, but I am feeling a bit physically under the weather.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  06:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and Marlene, what are "heelies"? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  07:41:08 AM  Show Profile
I have been diagnosed with SAD. I really have a very hard time in the winter. My dr says I have to be out in the sun at least 30 minutes everyday. The only problem is my other health problems are made that much worse by the cold. So I am either depressed or hurting so bad I have to go to bed. Can't seem to win on this one.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile
i'm with tina .. turn up that christmas music .. watch some fun christmas movies .. make a 'gratitude' list. TAKE CARE OF YOU!!! do something fun and exciting! if you enjoy shoppin' .. go shoppin' .. if you enjoy creatin' .. create! if you like cookin' .. cook! invite some friends over or to go out and just LAUGH .. promise to not tell any sad stories or talk of illness .. just GIGGLE!! i have heard that EXERCISE helps! write about your feelings or talk to a very good friend or family member who can jus' listen and be there for you. i have indeed heard of 'seasonal blues' .. so i know the are real .. but time will take care of it. most of all be thankful for every moment of every day that god gives us. life is soooo short .. don't let olde man blues claim too much time in it!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

AFRICA .. through my eyes and heart
http://africathroughmyeyesandheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  07:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I also have not been my jolly old self this year. Not a cookie baked. Just started to put out my decorations and then most of them will stay put as I really don't want to put them away after the 1st. We are not exchanging gifts in my family. All my children are grown and I get tried of hearing how broke they are and then in the next breath the ask you what you want for the season gift. And there is nothing to buy them as all they want is money. It goes on and on. This year we even missed our usual cookie baking weekend. All the kids where up set but no one was buying a plane ticket home to bake. Then I hurt my back and quit my job so that means the money situation is not that good and we have a policy not to charge at the holidays. So that puts the damper on some of the usual treats I treat myself and my family to during the season. Oh well. I'm starting to look to spring, a new job and a beautiful yard as this year I will be able to work outside with out pain (hoping) and the new year of crafting and home bodying. Maybe I will actually get my craft studio cleaned out and ready to go.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  06:48:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with the blues. Mine is a combination of things:no money, a son that is giving me some trouble, wanting to move off of this sandbar 30 miles out to sea, being tired, doing it all as a single mom of 3 teen boys, etc.....

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have posted to give us blue farmgirls encouragement! Love you all!

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  06:53:49 AM  Show Profile
You know I can't quite put my finger on it..
But I have felt the same way this year..
& didn't WANT to be brought out of it either.. I purposely seemed to be avoiding the radio stations that i knew would be playing Christmas music even!
Not sure what my Problem is..
The last week Seems to have been better..
I just will be glad when it's all done & over with..
I'm not crabby about it.. or Humbuggy..
Just don't feel like putting up with it all..

Maybe it's a time thing for me.. Work is really so aggrevating for me..
I want work to go away!

Hope things look up for you Sweet Pea,,.

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Anyone with the Seasonal Blues? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page