Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What type of finger food do you serve?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What type of finger food do you serve? Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I was wondering what type of appetizers or finger food you will be serving this Holiday season?

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile
I always make cheese balls and fix a tray with them, summer sausage, swedish meatballs that my hubby makes, and crackers. My family and co-workers seem to enjoy them. I also have a sweet tray with homemade candy, cake, and breads that I serve as well.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, let's see, tomorrow night is our "Feliz Navidad", so there is salsa, tortillas and guacamole.

I usually will make several things--I like things that I can do ahead of time and put in the oven or whatever.

Hot chipped beef dip is always a great one, especially for men. It's a blend of sour cream, cream cheese, some worcestshire, chopped green and red pepper, dried beef, and onion, blended and baked until warmed through. Serve with a variety of dippable pretzels and crackers.

I also make vege and beef curry puffs which go over really well. Vege is a blend of raisins or currants, potato, red bell pepper and curry and beef is ground with onion, red pepper and curry. Cut triangles out of Pepperidge Farms pastry sheets and fold into triangles. I also brush with egg so they don't look anemic.

Those are standards in our house and folks get bummed if I don't make them...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile
pigs in a blanket, shrimp cocktail, hot wings, potato skins, ham balls, cheese and crackers, tea sandwiches, etc. We do a big New Years evething that is all finger foods!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Julie! I totally forgot about pigs in blankets. Yummo!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  09:06:06 AM  Show Profile
I haven't thought about pigs in blankets since my mom used to make them from vienna sausages when I was little!!! Funny!!!

I usually serve cheeses, crackers (homemade from the Budget Mix recipe - they're amazing!) and sausage - summer and other kinds. Also, pear and apple slices and oranges... YUM!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:19:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a cheeseball that I make very year. My kids all expect it!!

Etsy http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Prim Sisters Shoppe http://therusticcottageprims.com
http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  08:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Does any one serve Cannibal sandwiches? Or is this just an old family tradition in my family? They are the Best grade of ground Round available. Eaten raw on cocktail rye bread with slivered raw onions, salt and pepper. We also have shrimp, bean dips, spinach dip with yummy sour dough bread, meatballs with mushrooms and onion sauce, chicken wings and the list goes on. I just love finger food!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  12:27:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing pigs in blanket (adding a little smear of mustard and a tiny sliver of sharp cheddar to the lil smokie's this time) and a new recipe I found earlier this week at Pioneer Woman's recipe blog...something she calls Holiday Appetizers.

It's an "old regular" recipe from the 1970's (how did I Miss THIS back THEN???) Anyway, you carefully place a mound of grated parmeson/romano onto a Keebler club cracker, then wrap snugly around it with half a slice of thin bacon. She has awesome directions with photos on her blog. I made these a few days ago and tried them on DH; we both like them, even with all the heart-attack risk factors! I froze the rest as PW said you could, and plan on thawing them out and reheating them tomorrow.

Another favorite of our family are sausage balls: sausage, cheez whiz or cheddar, and (no more Bisquick in this house!) MaryJanes Budget mix with a tiny amount of milk. Mix together, drop in tiny spoonfuls and bake or fry until done. I have also found a higher quality version of cheese blend (think gourmet cheez whiz) hard to find but excellent.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  4:37:04 PM  Show Profile
We do chips and salsa, raw veggies and ranch dip, cheese cubes speared on pretzel sticks, and we make a special cheeseball (recipe on my blog) every year and serve it with ritz or wheat thins usually. And pickles of all kinds. My kids love my dilly beans best.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic What type of finger food do you serve? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page