Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I got so many good ideas from this topic...glad we are all here for each other.
I decided a couple of years ago that I was not going to "expect" any special good feeling for Christmas. It worked. If it is just another day like any other...then anything special will feel "really" special. Of course having a little child to do Christmas for is the best joy I can have.
When I didn't have little children around me I would go out to malls or stores where children were to be around them. I would also look at toys and buy one or two for ME and also for my boyfriend then. I told him he had to get toys because it was Christmas and it made me happy. LOL
I do agree that the more sun and fresh air we can get the better.
I also do much better mood wise if I get enough sleep and don't try to do too much. I give myself permission to not even send cards if I don't feel like it. Nobody knows the difference!
Best wishes to all of you and remember to treat yourself good during this time of year...women tend to sacrifice ourselves and end up hurting. That was one of the best lessons I ever learned!

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Good news, the days will be getting longer starting tomorrow.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  12:23:31 AM  Show Profile
I think the Christmas spirit is sort of like falling in love; you can't be searching for it, it just has to come to you when it's right...even if it happens to be July! As Mr. Scrooge said "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and keep it all the year. I will honor the past, live in the present, strive for the future".
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  05:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Today I have cancelled yet another one of our long standing family traditions. No family get together. So very sad that my family has fallen so far out of reach of me. First it was our long standing Christmas cookie baking weekend. No one could make it (make time for it) and the only ones who seemed to care was my two active duty sons and of course the Army doesn't send you home just because mom wants to bake cookies with you. Now our family get together. What will be next? I fought for so many years to show them how important their roots are and we have been thrown aside for the fast paced world of glitz and money. I decide 16 years ago when my husband left me I would never compete with his money drive, buy people world. I spent time with my children doing family orientated events that cost next to no dollars. Did not have the money so would not spend it. And this year I have been thrown aside for the money, glitz, and gifts. Boy does it hurt. My oldest son is home on leave and most likely will not be home for the next two years. I do know he will celebrate with his siblings at his fathers so he will be with family and he will visit his dear mom during the Holiday weeks. My daughter married a young man who grow up with the glitz at the expensive of his families credit disasters and contuines to value the glitz and money. If there is room on the card use it or get a new one. You are nothing if your car is more then 2 years old ect..... You don't have a Fur then you don't count. (Had the fur once cut it up to make items I could sell one year to buy me kids a few gifts for Christmas morning. They don't remember they were too young). Of course they have no room for my husband and myself who will not throw money around just to buy him or my daughter. I can't imagine why my daughter goes along with it. She is even lying to me now. Boy does that sting. My youngest is only interested in party and money gifts as he lives in his own apartment and is doing what 19 year olds do. Be stupid. Spend money. Drive fast and party hard. Takes right after his father. My middle son is in Iraq, I know he would like to be home but can't and my other daughter can't make it home. Both of these children I adopted 13 years ago and they seem to be the ones that get it the most. So here I sit feeling like the one of the toys on Misfit Island with yummy food that I can't even eat because of stomach issues. UGH!!!!!! Guess I will turn up the music, pull myself up by my boot straps, put one an Apron (Oh how my daughter and her husband hate them), and go clean my studio so that I can start to craft. I do hope next year will be better. Maybe I'll take a trip during the holidays or do some volunteering. Maybe both!!!!!!!!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  06:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Wow Betty Jo, you sound like you in in pain. I know we farmgirls need each other. I live in an area of the country that is know for being unfriendly. Yes, I think about moving every time I feel this way. I can't take our son out of the state without legal permission from my X. I wasn't born or raised here so that makes me an outsider. We live in eastern Pennsylvania. I don't have family here and am not included with other's family because that is simply not done here...tradition wise. My grown sons couldn't be bothered and neither is my sister, they all are in California now. They have their own lives. They are not mad at me but they just don't care either.
The attitude in this area is "If you don't have family here then poor you but don't bother us and our family."
I do have my son, so we have each other. He is a young child who is into toys so that will make Christmas for me....tho he never has enough and doesn't appreciate what he does have. That's the age he is.
I am stuck in the snow these last few days so that stops me from getting things done. My neighbors don't drive or they don't speak English.
My friends would talk on the phone with me but this time of year I can't stand to hear about the cooking and planning events for their extended families. The only gifts under my tree are always just things for my son. I've finally fallen into depression, escaped me until these last few days. :-(
got to get it together because tomorrow is Christmas eve!

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  12:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Since moving to Washington 12 years ago the holidays have been a real bummer. Not having my parents and son around and the lack of sun light has caused me to go into a real funk and than our daughter left home so the last few years have been lousy. Sending presents just is not the same as spending time together and hearing everyone laughing and carrying on. Than last week our daughter called with the news that she had just had to have a biopsy of her cervex, so now the normal bummage is mixed with worry. I for one am looking forward to Spring.
Hugs to all, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  6:42:52 PM  Show Profile
You're right Kathy. One of the best things is having everyone around and just enjoying the company of one another.
Keeping you and your daughter in thought and prayer.

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FARMGIRLS FRIENDS!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your support through out the year and during this Christmas season. May God bless you and keep you in his grace!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Big hug. Me too.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Anyone with the Seasonal Blues? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page