BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  06:37:45 AM  Show Profile
This morning I was sorting through a stack of old papers, and
came across a list that my teenage daughter and I sent back and forth to each other for awhile when I was just learning how to use the computer for email.(circa 2000)
Here are a just few of those hundreds of simple things that I was thankful for and wondered about what you all would add to the list.
Finding this list has me all choked up and soooo thankful that I knew how to print it out!

I am always thankful and ever happy for:
-the end of a child's fever
-a big pot of yummy soup on the woodstove
-knowing how to make a darn good pie
-remembering nursing babies
-finding the biggest strawberry in the patch before the slugs do
-being able to walk out in the garden in my nightgown
-a just cleaned bedroom and sun-dried sheets
-finding a handwritten letter in the mailbox under the bills
-knowing that my 40 something body doesn't look too bad by candlelight
-a year's worth of salsa, pickles and relish in the pantry
-watching my kid's laugh hysterically when I vaccuum to "Free Bird"
-a bubble bath in a clean bathtub
-knowing that placing a tiny seed in the soil turns into food for my family
-seeing your husband stop and smile in the doorway when he smells the spaghetti sauce that has been cooking all day
-a washline full of clean clothes
-a roaring bonfire surrounded by a circle of friends

Thanks for indulging me this very short list,
but I would love to hear some of yours....

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  7:30:22 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful for my funny, goofy, warm, lovable, tenderhearted husband who has made it a priority that I get to stay at home and raise my daughters. He doesn't totally hate his job but he isn't challenged by it either.. he is bored to death every day but he keeps going back because it pays well enough to take care of us all.

I am thankful for my equally goofy 1 year old who just tried to feed the turtle a magnet from our little reminder board as I type :) She has the best little hugs and if you pat her back she will pat yours in response. She gives really good kisses too (especially when you try to get away and say "oh ew! gross!") I am Thankful for the way she looks up at me when I wear something that has shiny things on it and she says to me "oh mommy sparkles!" The first time she did that I almost teared up because she is just so sweet... even if she does manage to kill the turtle by dropping every little thing she comes across into his tank...

I'm thankful for the baby too she is wonderful especially lately as she is starting to interact a LOT more. She is also outgrowing the awful reflux problems she has had from the time she was born, so she is a lot more confortable and very snuggly. That silly baby loves me sSO much it's absolutley crazy. My oldest didn't glom on to me nearly as hard as this one did. She goes ballistic if I leave her line of sight without taking her with me... if I leave for a minute and come back she lights up the whole world with her weird little smile.. (it's weird right now because she only has her 2 bottom teeth)

I'm thankful for our health, and that we have food to eat, and a roof over our heads. We have a warm loving home and a great life.

I am thankful that my husband and I are made of stern stuff and that we aren't the types to give up when things get difficult. We have gotten through some pretty hard times, and finally things are starting to turn around.. so it's nice to know that we can be loving towards one another and supportive through the hard times, and we absolutly bloom in the good times.

I am forever thankful for that. It's more than I ever dreamed for myself. At 3 years we out lasted my parents marraige and in September we will be able to celebrate our 4th anniversary, with 2 little girls, a great home, and a garden full of earwigs :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful for the survival spirit God gave me. I haven't always felt that way, but the older I get, the more I see myself as one of those punching dolls with sand at the bottom that pops back up every time it gets knocked down. I'm thankful that in my lifetime I've had the good fortune to find several amazing mentors that believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. And now I am so so thankful for the land outside my window. I'm thankful that age has turned out to be such a friend.

Fern
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  9:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Good things here...good women of substance...Blue Egg Babe,Buck BellHill, Whimsy_Girl,ya got it together...

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Sue, I love the idea of emailing my children the things i am thankful for. thank you for the idea.
I have kept a gratitude journal on and off for many years and rereading them gives me pause for the many, many blessings in my life. During the rough spots reading them reaffirms my faith that life is in fact very good and a positive perspective on anything starts the ball rolling in that direction.
Reading them and writing them down gives me the feeling in my chest of my heart actually swelling with all the goodness and love that i experience...daily, simple blessings that are the foundation of JOY!

Today I'm thankful for thunder storms,lighting, and much needed rain, friends that make me laugh, my children, air conditioning, front porch swings and ceiling fans, good food and conversation, the words,"i love you", back rubs given and received,warm bubble baths, a job completed,naps. my daughter's health, my family, answered prayers,summer flowers everywhere,exercise, hugs, birds on the feeder & squirrels too, books and most all my new farmgirl friends.

p.s if you are like me once you start counting your blessings it's hard to stop and the list goes on and on....our cups runneth over!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  10:29:51 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful thing to think about!!

I am thankful first and foremost for my Lord, Jesus Christ. Without him my life would be nothing.
I am so very thankful for my husband and how hard he works every day to provide for our family.
I am thankful for the two beautiful daughters that I have been blessed with.
I am thankful for my grandsons -- they are one of the greatest joys of my life.
I am thankful for my home and my property.
I am thankful for my front porch and my favorite wicker rocker.
I am thankful for line dried sheets and how wonderful they smell when you crawl between them.
I am thankful for all of you -- my dear new friends!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  2:29:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MeadowLark

Good things here...good women of substance...Blue Egg Babe,Buck BellHill, Whimsy_Girl,ya got it together...

Thanks!!!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  04:26:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm thankful for everyone and everything that blesses my life!

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü

Edited by - hapyhrt on Aug 08 2005 04:27:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  05:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Today, I am thankful for our new grandbaby that is on the way. Hubby and I just got the news last night, when my granddaughter stepped out of their van wearing a t-shirt that read "I am a big sister".

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:28:58 AM  Show Profile
JPBLUESKY - Jeannie!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'll send up good healthful thoughts for your daughter and the new one to be!! What's the due date?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  07:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Clare!!!! I am so excited.....and it is time to get started on another baby quilt!

My daughter still has to see her official ob-gyn, but her general practitioner said approximately March 18. So she is just newly preggie, and yes, please, send up lots of prayers and good thoughts that all will go smoothly through this first tri-mester. She has recently had an ovarian cyst, so the doctors will watch that.

Lots to be thankful for!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 08 2005 07:36:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Sister Bluesky! Sending you a big congrats on the news of your daughter and future no.2 grandchild! I will lift her up for health and easy pregnancy and delivery! You go Grandma!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Jeannie!! Lucky you! I love being a grandma too! Looks like I won't get a second one for awhile (son and DIL split up) but sure love the one I have! I will sure keep her in my prayers...how exciting!!
I am thankful that we are all healthy and that we live in the small town we live in with good neighbors and friends. I am thankful that my grown boys turned out so well in spite of me. I am thankful that I get to have animals and property to raise plants.
I am thankful to have a husband who sees my vision and helps so much with everything, and works hard so I can stay home with the kids.
I am thankful that my grandma insisted I know how to take care of a family and taught me all the homekeeping skills that I love.
I am thankful for all of you!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
How sweet to read all the wonderful Thanksgivings and Jeannie's new grandbaby on the way!
I am most thankful for a loving and caring God.
Jeannie, I will be sending prayers of health and ease for your daughter and baby!

I thank God every morning for my life, the life of my amazing sons and wonderful Husband.

I thank God for peace and serenity. I thank him for the streak of white hair now running through my 32 year old head, and I thank him for the strength to have survived the days, the years that have turned that hair so white.

I thank God for my health and the health of those that are so dear.

I thank God for giving me the chance to meet all of my wonderfully amazing Farm Sisters!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:09:41 PM  Show Profile
To all - Just knowing that you all will be praying and lifting up members of my family, whom you have never met, reaffirms my faith! Thank you so much, guys.

Love,
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Traveler_and_Poet
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:48:41 PM  Show Profile
1.) My family
2.) My loyal and warm-hearted Friends (online and off)
3.) My health
4.) My opportunity to get an education at university and the ability to pay for it
5.) Squirrells, cats, and everything furry
6.) Flowers trees, and everything green

I am also thankful that I have been able to deal with the trials and strains that have been put on me for the past year. Moving my family, and dealing with financial strain (can I get an amen?)...let alone friendship issues-- God had given me the strength to sort through all the crud and realize what is important. I am thankful for a place like this where we can all be honest with each other and open and warm. Huzzah for Mary Jane's Farm Connection!

Traveler_and_Poet's Blog
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:07:32 PM  Show Profile
I am grateful for everyday that I wake up because I have another chance to do it better then the day before. jpbluesky, congrats to you and yours. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Handmaiden-Kim, I whole-heartedly agree with you that once you get started it's so hard to stop. I've been trying to think of what I would like to share without taking up a whole page. I think the trick is just getting started. I am most guilty in the area of not always taking the time to prayerfully give my thanks to God for all His wonderful and gracious blessings. I always am in my heart, but I believe I need to say it out loud, too.

So my first thanks goes to God for knowing my heart and for the faith that He has given me to live by each day that He sends. For His neverending forgiveness and love that He sends through His Son Jesus Christ.

The blessings that He fills my life with look like this (and I promise to give the condensed version) :o)

My dearly devoted and loving husband. After a 9 year 1st marriage, a 10 yr divorce and now a 2nd marriage to each other for the last 7 years, I am ever so thankful for an everlasting, patient, forgiving, renewed love.

Our four grown children. My how time flies. We had children very early in our marriage and all four in the first five years....now....our youngest just turned 21. (sigh) They have grown into balanced, responsible, fun-loving, unique individuals with a solid faith in God. I am so thankful knowing we will all be in heaven together.

Thankful for the gift of grandchildren, our oldest son and his wife have brought twin boys into our family. It is SO, SO fun!! Congratulations Bluesky for the new addition to your family, too! We will be grandparents again about the same time, the twins will be getting a little sister or brother, so I share your excitement.

I am thankful for: my jobs, wonderful friends-old and new (all of you!), freshly line-dried clothes, growing a garden, yard sales, creative thinking, loving to sew, all our photos-I love to take pictures, shade in the summer, the changing seasons, a quilted hillside of trees in the fall, the smell of rain, homemade bread baking, wood heat, my whole large extended family, having great parents, 5 brothers and 2 sisters and unlimited nieces and nephews, my church, ice cream(all flavors m-m-m-m), BBQ, flowers, anticipating Mail-Art, email, phone calls from our children, aprons, Bible study classes, a healthy family, dreams and goals, music, hugs, smiles, prayers and answered prayers. Like I said, this list is endless as we are blessed in more ways than we could possibly count.

I really needed to do this, so I am also saying thanks to Susan for getting this started and helping us be more conscience of all the blessings that surround us. It was really nice to read about all the things that shape everyone's lives and keep us doing what we are doing.

Thankfully,
In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie -- congrats on becoming a Grandma again!! Aren't grandkids just the best? When Missy had her first I told my friends that if I had known grandkids could be so much I'd have had them first! Your daughter and her sweet little baby will stay in my prayers.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile
I am thankful for my Heavenly Father who loves me, especially when I don't deserve it and when I'm crabby and not feeling thankful.
I'm thankful for my family.
I'm thankful for my idyllic childhood.
I'm thankful that I'm strong, most of the time; and that I have family and friends to lean on when I'm not.
I am thankful for this reminder to count my blessings.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Everyone here!!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  11:51:14 AM  Show Profile
This is such a wonderful topic! I am a journaler and have been keeping a gratitude journal for years and years. I believe gratitude is the KEY to happiness. I am so grateful to be getting to know each and every one of through this fine forum and in the mail art fun we have been having. Today I am also grateful for having just had a wonderful visit with my Sister in Law.
I am grateful for the marine layer that is cooling us off a bit for a few hours today.
Thankyou for this topic to share.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you to all who have sent their good wishes to me and my daughter, who is expecting our second grandchild. I love the first baby so much, how can I possibly expand that love? With God's help!

One of God's greatest gifts is giving us the ability to love more and more without end.

jpbluesky
heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 11 2005 12:32:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:46:11 PM  Show Profile
JPbluesky, I wondered the same thing, then our second miracle arrived almost one year ago now... with such a bubbly, smiley, loud, all boy personality and how can I not love him to pieces???!!! I love each of them for what they are, joys in my life... and I'm positive that you will find the same thing to be true, too. XXX

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  4:20:05 PM  Show Profile
JP -- I have two wonderful grandsons and believe me when I say your heart just expands to love them. I am so crazy about those two boys sometimes I can hardly stand it.

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  4:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
I do believe that this is one of my favorite topics going on right now!
It is so refreshing to hear so many praises for our Lord and all the love that God has brought into each of our lives!

I'm ever more and more thankful for being able to get to know all of you wonderful kindred spirits!

Lots of love!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you thankful for? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page