westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to see how all of our farmgirls out west are doing. I saw on the weather channel (dont laugh,love the WC) that some fires were in Idaho & Washington. Hope everyone stays safe and they are out soon. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your concern. I posted somewhere else about this the other day. Mail Art or somewhere. I live where the biggest fire right now is...Pomeroy, WA. We live in town and are fine but so many friends of ours lost their homes or are currently displaced. We've seen some of the burned areas and it's awful. Then we had wind and a thunderstorm last night. That really helped. This fire has been 40% contained for 4 days now. They don't seem to be making much progress. There are more firefighters here than people who actually live here...no kidding.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot...if you really want to see what's going on with the fires go to (www.activefires.net).
Ours is the School fire(named after the road it started on or something)

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:46:39 PM  Show Profile
We're thinking of you here in the middle part of the state, Marcia. Sending everyone light and love.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Sending you and all of your neighbors in that area prayers and protection Marcia!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:52:02 PM  Show Profile
I just checked that site and it says it's 55% contained now! I wouldn't know what that means really except I went to the town meeting on Wednesday night for the briefing on the fire and now I know!

Marcia(we really are doing much better. No smoke in town today)

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Hoping that more rain comes your way without lightning! Praying for you.
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  4:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Lots of smoke in town all day today. One of the firefighters that we know stopped by today for a minute. He said they are making good progress in containing the fire.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:39:03 AM  Show Profile
It does seem to be a fact of life anymore here in the West. We just can't seem to catch up on the drought. What is worst is that we did have a more than usually wet June here but all that did was make the grass much more thick and long. We have had a lot of grass fires and I suspect we will have more before the season is up. I really worry for those with property and homes in high risk areas. It is an issue of concern for everyone.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic WILDFIRES OUT WEST Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page