Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Woman Unafraid: Frances Perkins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Woman Unafraid: Frances Perkins Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:55:25 PM  Show Profile
On Morning Edition on NPR this morning they featured a piece about Frances Perkins, who was unknown to me. She was the first woman cabinet member and appointed by Roosevelt. She was the champion and initiator of social security. She sounds like quite a woman. I'm pretty sure she could've been a Farmgirl! In these troubling political times, we would all do well to be "women unafraid", and do what we must to create change. Making our voices heard through the voting process is critical. May we emulate her courage and fortitude to make a difference, once again.

Here's the link if you'd like to read about her:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4795737

Wow- here's a link about a video that was made about her. I'm gonna have to see if I can find this one! Inspiration for the journey!
http://www.vineyardvideo.org/francesperkins.shtml

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 12 2005 7:59:18 PM

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Great story Clare. I like her style. Without woman like that, we would still be seen and not heard.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  8:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Clare, I remember a brief mention of Frances Perkins in my study of Social Work history in college. She did not get the historical credit she should have... as well as so many other women pioneers of social reform in this country. Thank you for mention of her...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  10:20:26 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I have always admired Ms. Perkins--what an inspiration! Thanks for pointing her out Clare--haven't thought about her in years. Jane Addams of Hull House in Chicago is another one of my heroines--also Eleanor Roosevelt.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  12:46:00 PM  Show Profile
great info Clare. I am familiar with her only because I got very involved with research leading to womens rights & voting. I did a little work during the last campaign. I loved it & started to do alot of research. If anyone gets a chance to see Iron Jawed Angels dont miss it! I've got the paperwork to back it up. I think if every young girl knows the story and sees the movie, they will never take the privledge and the right to vote for granted. Here I go, SORRY, I get very carried away on this subject, it's very close to my heart. But yes Clare, you are right we do need to be "women unafraid" and have courage to make change. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  9:26:57 PM  Show Profile
Clare- What an amazing and remarkable woman! I will have to read further about her, thanks for the info!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Woman Unafraid: Frances Perkins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page