True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I was just wondering if anyone could suggest something or maybe has dealt in similar experiences?
I find myself getting very very very mad over every little thing. I have hig blood pressure and see to get worked up easily. I am very grumpy almost all the time and tired more often than not.
I have hypoglycemia and try to keep my diet reasonable. I do have my binges, but those days are obvious. I know when I've hit a high or low sugar level as I am used to looking for those signs.
I used to be on anti-depressants when I was younger, but don't really care to take that route again. Besides that they made me EXTREMELY sleepy.My poor hubby keeps telling me I'm not the same woman he married.( That's hard to take even though I know he doesn't mean it in a mean way.)
I was thinking of trying St.Johns wort but wasn't sure the pros and cons of that and does it really work to level off emotions, and whatnot?
Could this just be a hormonal imbalance? a sugar malfunction? high blood pressure?
Would love any input as it thoroughly stinks being tired and grumpy all the while. Its been a very long time since I've felt "normal".

Thanks for your inputs!
hugs--Jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!

www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  3:37:56 PM  Show Profile
I too am hypoglycemic. It sounds to me like you're sugar might be irregular. Also have you had your THYROID checked? I also have a thyroid condition and dealt with htese similar mood swings and tiredness.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Oct 14 2007 3:38:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  3:44:38 PM  Show Profile
I have never had my thyroid checked. How does that process go? My dh is awaiting to start his new job so momentarily I don't have medical insurance. Is this something that is costly? How do you manage your hypoglycemia? What can be done for thyroid?
thanks Julie for any input. it is much appreciated by me (and those around me I am sure)
hugs jessie

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,
not to be nosey,,,but how old are you? is there a possibility you may have started into Pre-menopause? I started in my mid 40's and by 49 I was "all done" .
For 4 years I existed on little to no sleep, mood swings, fits of anger and depression, all to the homone change..I started studying up on menopause and then included soy in my diet. I would drink a glass of soy milk before bed time, and with in a week, I was sleeping better, only waking up once or twice, but at least I slept better which in turn deminished my mood swings. Thank goodness. I also took Isofavons, which helped, limited my coffee & spicey foods. Now I am "normal" (as normal as I can be) but I still do not sleep through the nite every nite and occassionally I still have nite sweats, but it's all good.
Good luck on figuring what it is that causing you these problem.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  5:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You also might want to keep a food log. I had an allergy to certain foods when I was younger that would make me have emotional swings like that.

I have heard really good things about St. John's Wort and don't forget about taking a complete B vitamin supplement. Lots of the B vitamins affect both mood and metabolism. *hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile
The thyroid test is just a simple blood test. Usually they draw a sample and send it to a lab and the results come back in a few days. You may be able to schedule a lab only and then do a follow up with the doctor later on. I have pretty good health coverage so I am not sure about the cost. If the tests show that you have problems with your thyroid there are medications you can take such as one called Synthroid. There are also natural methods of treatment but I am not familiar with them. Some symptoms of Thyroid disease are rough or scratchy throat especially in the early morning and when you get tired, coarse hair or hair that "sheds" alot, irritability and grumpiness, inconsistant sleep problems etc, etc.

For the hypoglycemia I probably don't do as well as I should. I usually try to eat smaller meals more frequently or at least keep a snack around incase I start to feel hungry. I try to avoid simple sugars and limit my carbs. I don't eat candy, or drink anything with sugar in it (I allow myself 1 soda per week as a treat). I try to get my sugars from fruits and veggies that actually take work to digest. I try to get a lot of fiber and I take a daily supplement. I try to also avoid caffine although my doc insists it shouldn't cause any problems I feel better when I don't have it.

The best thing is to eat fresh fruits and veggies rather than canned becuase canned often has added sugar or corn syrup. Also be cautious of hidden sources of simple sugars. Coffee creamer often has a sweetner in it, milk is a fairly simple sugar, as are cheeses but I still eat tons of cheese! If you eat breads try to get ones with whole grains becasue your body will take longer to break them down allowing you to adjust to the sugar at a slower rate.

I eat a lot of green apples, celery is one of my favorite snacks and I also like meat sticks (like Slim Jims but I get a locally made organic variety). I also drink a lot of water.

I would suggest avoiding "sugar free" or "diet" things as well. Even though it is not "real" sugar I often find that these items cause my body to react just as it did when I had real sugar.

I am not sure about the St. Johns Wort but I would suggest you discuss it with your doctor before you start any supplements because it could affect your blood test results if you choose to go that route. Good luck!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  5:39:17 PM  Show Profile
addiction to and withdrawal from caffeine can actually cause some strange symptoms as well.
If you have been having alot of caffeine lately..or even trying to get off of caffeine and sugars..it can do some majorally weird stuff to your body/emotions.
(fatigue/mood swings/depression/anxiety attacks/weakness/shakes/chills/lack of appetite/sudden weight loss/flu like symptoms)...just a thought I figured I'd toss out there too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile
im only 26 so i can rule out premenopausal. vitamin b makes me edgy though now that ive had the two babies, i may try it again.

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, hope one of the solutions people have posted here work for you. I have taken St. John's Wort in the past, but you have to take quite a bit (at least 1000 mg, I think? for me it was 4 tablets a day) and you have to take it for several weeks before you notice an effect on mood, just taking it once in a while doesn't do anything.

Julie, thanks for sharing those symptoms of thyroid disease, I have had a scratchy throat with swollen glands on and off for the last several months, I thought it was an industrial spray cleaner I was using at work that caused it. I've also had "itchy" ears which even resulted in an infection, I went to the doctor for that, I also was blaming that on the spray cleaner. But, since I'm also losing hair and having sleep problems, and am frequently grouchy (although my kids will probably say that's normal for me) I guess it is worth getting it checked out, I never would have put all those symptoms together. Blamed the hair loss on stress and my bariatric surgery 7 years ago, the sleep problems on too much caffeine, and the grouchiness to peri-menopause, the tiredness to B12 and iron deficiency due to the surgery...

Of course, maybe I should consider Ockham's razor - the simplest explanation is the most likely (the spray cleaner....LOL) the symptoms continue though I've stopped using it.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 16 2007 6:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  2:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda,
I am taking 6 capsules a day though I am not sure what the mg are. I have noticed it makes me have terrible nightmares and want to eat like a piggy. I'm not really sure if it has improved my mood any. I haven't bit anyone's head off, but that may be that I am just noticing it and trying to "tone it down."
The whole itchy ear thing is a definite and is losing your hair really a sign of thyroid? I have problems with both of those but just chalked it up to allergies and post pregnancy. I was told I am anemic, but taking iron doesn't help the tiredness.....I will just have to look into the thyroid check no matter how much I hate doctors. After two years straight(it seemed) of DRs and I just plumb worn out on them! :)
Hopefully, soon.
Hugs and thank you for all the input--
Jessie

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  06:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Jessie it really is a simple test. They just have to draw a little blood and I really think it would make you feel better to know that is what it is or to rule it out as a possibility.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, you say you do have high blood pressure..but have you had it checked lately? Could your anger be a sign that your HBP is rising too high...

Also, are you getting enough SLEEP? (OK you other farmgirl moms! I hear you snorting with laughter; what mom gets enough sleep?) But seriously, you could very well be suffering sleep deprivation.

Try to keep a list of all these suggestions, and work your way through them, make sure you give each change enough time (not just one night's sleep or one or two days skipping a particular food item). It will take time, but keep a journal of what you are doing, and how those changes make you feel.

I'd also suggest a blood workup; you never know until you check it out and you would be wasting weeks or months trying different things on your own when a blood test could very well diagnose the exact problem or problems and get you started down the proper path to better moods.

Keep us posted!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Oct 19 2007 12:16:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  10:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jessie-

I hope you are feeling better! I know broccoli is good for iron deficiency, but anemia can be caused by many things- not just lacking Iron.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,
I am going to try the journaling thing. Right now, health insurance is a luxury I don't have, so anything that can steer me clear of the DRs office is a blessing. I am definitly going to give it a try. ;)
thanks Jessie

Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  2:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Your gonna think, I am crazy. When someone told me I thought, they were nuts. Exercise takes away the bad mood symdrome. Try a walk a mile tape for a month and see if theres not a difference.
debinmtns

debinmtns
Have a Gratitude Attitude
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  2:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I also have hypoglycemia. One thing I have found that helps me maintain an even keel is to make sure I take a B complex supplement. When we get stressed or harried or emotional our bodies shed b vitamins like a gushing artery. Taking the supplement helps keep the B vitamins in your body and helps keep your moods and stress levels in check.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  4:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Debi,
I know that excercizing helps a lot with moods. I have two babies at home. Does that excersize count? lol...Mom and I have been talking about walking, but the babies keep us so busy that there isn't much time for that.

GaiasRose,
I have taken Vitamin B complex before. Its makes me super edgy and more apt to have panic attacks. Does this ever happen to you?

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jessie, the symptoms you mentioned were similar to the one's I was experiencing recently. For other reasons, I had a hair analysis done and found out I have an extreme case of lead/cadmium poisoning. Heavy metal toxins are everywhere in our environment. The hair analysis will tell you all the vital mineral balances and whether or not they're in balance. They'll also tell you if you have heavy metal toxicity. What happens with heavy metal toxicity is that the heavy metal is dominant in your system and doesn't allow nutrients to assimilate. Your body craves nutrition. Most heavy metals store in the vital organs and body tissue. This means that it disrupts the endocrine glads...all your hormones, esp. thyroid and adrenals. Also stores in the liver which can cause digestive problems of all kinds. Mood, is affected. Anyway...it might be worth considering. My prayer is that you'll be led to an answer quickly so you can begin the healing process.
Blessings...
Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  6:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Another possibility is Candida Albicans...

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile
just to ask a question..do you tend to consume alot of caffeine?
I'm asking because my husband used to consume alot of caffeine and when he started going off of it he had lots of strange symptoms, cold hands and feet, shaky hands, anxiety attacks, foggy headed, lack of concentration, irritability, depression,weakness,fatigue,flu like symptoms.
He has been reading a book called "Caffeine Blues" and my gracious..the effects that caffeine can have on the body, and even when you try to go off of it "cold turkey" like he did..can be quite scary.
I'd suggest looking into this book also. It may be quite an eye opener. It has been to us. We never ever want to have caffeine again.
And by the way it affects women alot more than it does men.
Excessive caffeine consumption in women can cause sore breasts, flare up of fibercystic change, increased polycystic ovarian syndrome, and more plus all those things I previously mentioned above.
So, if you can get ahold of the book I'd highly recommend it.
Steven Cherniske is the author.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile
oh..and it really messes up the hormones as well.
So..it could be something rather simple like too much tea/coffee/soda.
best of wishes.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile
oh, and another note..caffeine does raise the blood pressure as well.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9380 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9380 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  5:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
I've never heard of all of that being because of caffeine. I drink a lot of tea and my chiropractor was telling me that there is more caffeine in a cup of black tea about 2x as much as in a cup of coffee. Caffeine is also addictive. I have headaches terrible when I don't have at least one cup of tea a day.
I know I need to quit but boy is it hard. What do you all drink because I drink a lot during the day including water?

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile
we've started drinking lots of water.
once in a while we'll have gatorade but we buy a type that is available for construction workers and it does not have high fructose corn syrup in it like what you buy from the stores.
When we have tea now we go for caffeine free.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile
If you think it is hormonal related to PMS, your cycles, and so forth, then you could try Vitex.

http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes.asp?ContentID=2181002

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
There is a great book by Dr. John Lee... called "what your Dr. May not tell you about Premenopause".. compete life changer for me.....he addresses most of the thoughts discussed here.... for me, now 45 it has leveled the hormones, taught me the importance of detoxing etc. Hope it helps!

Rene'~Farm Girl
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure......"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic hormonal imbalance...... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page