Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  07:30:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! Just wondering if any of you have good advice as to a natural help for hair loss. I first started losing hair after the birth of my third child, 12 years ago. While I am certainly not bald, I lose hair constantly and it is not nearly as thick as it was years ago. Due to the timing of the onset, I am sure it is "hormonal" but I have yet to be able to come up with a fix. I did switch to washing it with baking soda and a vinager rinse a couple monthes ago. My hair and scalp feel great, but the hair loss is about the same. I wear my hair fairly long, so of course this makes it look stringier than I like. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:03:32 AM  Show Profile
One thing that can damage the hair is to wear a barrette in the same spot..after a while it does cut the hair. So..switch around your hair style every now and then.

Another thing..do not back comb(tease) the hair..this adds to the breakage.

Do not twist the hair or do tight braids.
Braiding on occasion is o.k. but treat the hair with kindness.
When using pony tail holders it is best not to use plain rubber bands, but rather a coated band(cushioned) as the plain rubber band if bound too tight can cause breakage.Also..try not to wear the pony tail in the same height every day..as this also can put a strain on the hair..and can actually cause a bit of hair receding across the forehead area due to weight of the hair pulling backwards on the head..causing breakage along the front area.

When towel drying do not scrunch up and vigorously dry..simply wrap the towel around the hair and pat it dry, do not twist the hair into the towel.

It is also a good idea to switch out your shampoo every 7 days..to give your hair a bit of a change.Some shampoos can be too rough for your hair..meaning..if you have chosen a "deep cleanse" shampoo..these shampoos are not for every day use and can be stripping your hair of necessary oils and natural things your hair needs to stay healthy..a deep cleanse shampoo should only be used about once a week(if that) if you have build up of chemicals like hairspray in your hair,not daily.

Do not use overly hot water when washing your hair and rinsing it.As the heat causes the hair follicle to expand, while the cold water causes contracting.A lukewarm wash with a slightly cooler rinse will ease the hair follicle into shape again gradually...and not give the hair a "sudden shock"

(These are all tips that I have learned from a dear woman that was a hair dresser/owned her own salon for many years...hope this helps..these are tips she has shared with me over the years.)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,
Thanks for the ideas, however, most I am already doing. I never wear barrettes. I do sometimes do pony tails, but always with the loose fabric covered elastic ones, NEVER rubberbands. And I vary from a low pony to a tossled messy up top pony. I have no build up as I do the baking soda and vinager. I always do just as you mentioned . . . wrap my hair in a towel and I rarely blow dry (only if time requires it!) I do a nice warm shower, but not hot and I never switch temps . . . because I hate the shock too! LOL!

So I guess I am thinking there must be some type of herbal remedy . . . maybe some herb that will strengthen my hair folicles. I think it is more of an internal problem than external, because I think I am doing all I can from the external standpoint. Anyone know of any herbs that work? Thanks!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  3:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, the exact same thing is happening to me. Since my 2nd child was born, my hair has been falling out. I also use baking soda and acv, lukewarm water, coated ponytail holders, no blow drying. I am also curious about any herbs that might work. I am going to try taking a multivitamin because I don't always eat very well. Actually, I think I am going to try eating better as well.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  7:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,
How long has it been since you had baby #2? Isn't it frustrating? My hair used to be one of my best features. It sounds like we have pretty much the same regime for our hair. I agree diet and vitamins are important. I don't eat terrible, but I tend to grab a bit more junk food than I should when I am on the go on busy weeks. So hopefully we will get some good ideas here for both of us . . . either that or maybe we can get a group rate on wigs! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile
I had my baby February 3rd. It's getting so I don't even want to comb my hair much because of how much hair is in the comb when I am done. I think I'm clogging the drain in the shower too. I eat horribly most of the time, but I am really working on changing that. If I could only get my hubby to change too, it would be easier. I let him talk me into fast food way too much. I am also very addicted to chocolate. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  10:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know the herb horsetail is supposed to be great for hair, plus making sure you are getting enought nutrients in your diet. :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a hypothyroid condition, and one of the symptoms is hair loss. I developed this after baby #1. So I would first suggest you have that checked. I was amazed at how much new growth I had when I started thyroid treatment.

Beyond that.. Catmint, Lavender, Nasturtium, Southernwood all encourage hair growth. Make a strong tea, dilute with warm water to fill a quart jar, add 2 TB apple cider vinegar. Use as a final rinse.

HTH,
Babs

Laundry Soap & girly stuff: www.mugwortmaggies.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention low thyroid. My doctor just said he thinks I may have low thyroid, but that was for different symptoms. I didn't even think to tell him about my hair loss! I am going to get it checked. My mom has low thyroid and has been on thyroid meds for years and I know it can run in families. When I first started losing my hair after baby #3, I thought it would be a short lived thing while my hormones got back to normal. But 12 years later I am still dealing with it. Frustrating. I will check into the horsetail, catmint, lavender, nasturtium and southernwood and see if I can get some help for this soon. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I know that when you are pregnant you typically lose less hair- with all the extra vitamins and the hormonal changes. Then shortly after delivery, the hair that was supposed to fall out but didn't, will start to fall out and also the regular hair will too. So even though it seems like alot, it is normal and if you go to the hair dresser they can see if there is new growth.

But definately have the thyroid checked. I got graves disease after baby number four and now have no thyroid activity.

blessings
beth
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Norman MacEwan

I Can

http://blissnblossomfarm.com
http://lifeatbnbfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  09:48:41 AM  Show Profile
So maybe Heather's is still from pregnancy, but after 12 years mine certainly isn't. I think checking the thyroid is a good option. Sorry about your Graves disease. Did you have your thyroid removed? My friend did and has had a terrible time maintaining her weight ever since.

Hugs & Blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Nope I opted to try the wait and see approach much to the good doctors chagrin. Well- just the thought of being radioactive didn't sit well with me. So now it's caput and I need to go on replacement therapy but want a natural solution. Hey Babs- got any ideas??? Get a hold of me- your Yarrow tincture is awsome. Miss chattin. Lots of news.

So any natural remedy ideas would be great.

Another thing to check is change in hair density. My has thinned- still have alot but the hair itself is thinner- and has now gone from stick straight to very curly. go figure!

blessings
beth
Norman MacEwan

I Can

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
There is no plant based herbal replacement for thyroid hormone. If there was I'd be on it in a heartbeat. I have been living "unmedicated" since 2004.

There are supplements that support your thyroid and immune system so your body functions better, thus making you feel more normal (whatever normal for you might be).

If I may dip into a generalization, I think this is one case where most people would benefit more from a complete, integrated lifestyle change than just popping that thyroid pill everyday as prescribed.

To that end, I *strongly* recommend the book "living well with hypothyroidism" by Mary Shomon. In it she covers testing, what the tests mean, what the doctors don't tell you, and includes info on supplements, alternative and supportive therapies, plus has an awesome resource section. This is the best book IMO, on the condition. I really wish I had had this book when I was first "diagnosed".

Thyroid Info http://www.thyroid-info.com/
"Living Well.." at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060740957/scratcthenetwebs

Babs

Laundry Soap & girly stuff: www.mugwortmaggies.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Edited by - babs on Sep 22 2007 10:45:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  10:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I agree wholeheartedly on the just popping a pill routine. I am not one to even take tylenol for the little stuff. Will look into this book right away. Like I posted on my new leaf blog- my fortune said to walk the straight and narrow path, so maybe I need to refine that to organics and natural healing, but I will sorely miss the snack wraps. LOL.

Starting with the dialy food & excersize journal. May give me some insights on hair loss, weight gain, insomnia etc....

www.afarmgirlsnewleaf.blogspot.com

blessings
beth
Norman MacEwan

I Can

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
My mom's hair got very thin years ago - mostly, it was from stress, but a herbalist we trust suggested eating Kelp. it was FABULOUS for her hair and nails and really helped!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile
You might want to try some essential oil of rosemary mixed with some olive oil and massage into scalp - don't use a whole bunch of essential oils though cause they are very concentrated, just a tiny bit will do.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay - so nobody's mentioned my own personal solution to hair loss. After having children, my hair started to fall out, too. Badly. I mean like in BIG BALD PATCHES. The Dr. said it's hormonal, and I didn't want to go through all of that nonsense, so I started wearing hairpieces, hats, etc. Then, finally, it was all just plain too much. A couple of weeks ago, I explained the whole shebang to my husband, and said that I wished I could just shave my head. He said that it wouldn't bother him any, so I DID!!! Really. I mean down to skin. IT IS WONDERFUL! Now, I can't say that if I had lovely hair I'd do it for kicks, but it's really freeing. Today I'm wearing a cute blonde bob of a wig, but mostly I just go around bald or with a scarf or hat. I've shaved it twice since the first time - I'll probably keep doing it until the hair that grows in is thicker - i.e. there's more of it - or until I just want to stop. Once I get brave enough, I'll post some photos. I had really lovely hair when I was growing up and into my early thirties. Now, well, I have lovely hair, but it just happens to be attached to a wig I bought!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Well now that is BREAKING NEWS, so proud of you for dealing with the hair loss in such an up front manner. I for one would love to see pictures, and of the wigs too. Do you have more then one? I know DOLLY PARTON has hundreds. Where do you get them from? Well anyway, good for you for telling us about it, and its great to see how you are able to turn this into an OK thing. NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, Nancy. Thanks. I have to say that I really appreciate the positive comments - I still feel pretty self-conscious sometimes, but I think tonight might just be the night for photos. Thanks again!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie- I know a woman that did something similar to that and I didn't even know! I hadn't seen her for a few years and I said "Your hair is looking really fantastic today!" And she said "Really? It's a wig, you know!" And I was floored! I couldn't belive it! It looked so perfect on her and even had classy highlights in it so it looked like she just got her hair done!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  10:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie,
Thanks for your honesty and braveness on this subject. My hair isn't to that point, but there are days I could see that temptation. I do know stress can also be a factor, so I am trying to deal with that better. I am trying to not let things eat at me so much . . . especially things I have no control over. And I tend to run on little sleep, so I need to work on that. I have heard that can affect things too.

I hope your hair will someday grow in thicker and better than ever!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  03:30:12 AM  Show Profile
WOW Libbie,

That is so good of you.

If my hair wern't so thin and slow growing, I'd do the same and send the rest to Locks Of Love. I wear a du-rag most of the summer anyway.

Can't tell you the last time I had my hair blown dry-even in the dead of winter.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  7:09:07 PM  Show Profile
You know, It is really getting easier by the week to "admit" that I'm pretty much bald. On a funnier note, I got new hair for the holidays! My mom took me shopping and, while some gals get a nice new outfit, I got a nice new "piece" of hair! It looks a little like Sophia Loren - Okay - now I look NOTHING like Sophia Loren (just to get that straight! - even though I wish I did!), but the wig is really cute. Someday I'll take and post photos of the "un-haired" me, and me in each of my wigs. It's really fun... well, it's just fun enough, I guess, for a dang lame thing to have happen to a gal.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  05:37:50 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Libbie! Do you have light and dark hair pieces? I know there is so much to choose from out there now.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I have one that is a platinum blonde "bob" and one that is the same style that's dark brown, and then the new "Sophia" one. Okay, maybe today's the day for photos (I know, I keep saying that and then I chicken out!)... Nancy Jo - I really appreciate the encouragement - it means a lot to me. Thank you.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Natural cure for hair loss? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page