Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 5

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  07:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - yes, flax fabric was common in colonial times and with other peasant folks. They perhaps did not have the time or what was needed to weave the cloth as fine as it could be. Making linen from flax plants goes way back to Egyptian times. Mummies were wrapped in linen cloths, and so, of course, was Christ, when he was put in the tomb. And from what little I know, the cloth was fairly open weave and more coarse in texture.

jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I went over the edge yesterday and binged on fabric! I went to the fabric store in the little town up the road. They 3 huge tables with flat folds for $3.99 and $2.99 a yard. I got a cart (the first clue that I was going to get into BIG trouble) and started picking out fabric for aprons. By the time I got done I spent $76! But what I got is sooooooo cute and will make the sweetest aprons. Missy and I are doing the NW Neighbors Show on September 17th so I'll be selling (hopefully) my aprons there. Now I have to go clean and organize my sewing room from the last creative endeavor so that I can start sewing aprons!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Kay, you sound like a lot of us this week! I am blaming my fabric hunger on the moon... and the uncertainty of the world around us. Like hoarding foods in time of famine...fabric is security and warmth and home to me. The pull of the moon right now seems to be affecting me in a strange way...don't think I am weird but there is something to it. The venting topic seems quite busy today! Tonight is the full moon. Maybe we are feeling an urge to nest and hunker down with the changing seasons? Would love to see pics of your finished aprons!!!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 19 2005 10:58:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  6:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- there is nothing weird about the pull of the moon. Strange things happen when there is a full moon. After the day I've had I can attest to that. I already wrote about it on the Venting forum so won't go into detail here. Yes, fabric means the same to me -- it means coziness, warmth, and security. I think I'll go into my sewing room and just sit for a while!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I emailed ya Kay!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girlfriends,
I don't get to be on the forum much these days but tonight I found this topic and have read with laughter and tears streeming down my cheeks! I am a good member of this club too. I have collected fabrics, craft kits, patterns, you name it for over 30 years. I used to work at pacific fabrics!!! I had an in home sewing business doing bridal and formal wear and did a ton of sewing for proms, dance troops, gymnastics and horsemanship girls. I have had one collection of this after another over the years and just when I think I have weaned myself from the addiction and I get rid of a bunch of it by having a yard sale or even in one year I took a truck load of it to the saint vincent de paul( where they were so overwhelmed by the volume of it that they asked me not to donate it all to them but to spread it around to the other thrift stores). I had 2 computer paper boxes full of just spools of thread! Lots of it came from someones yard sale who had worked at a fabric store that went out of business so it was still in the boxes of 12 spools of one color. I went through it all and kept 2 spools of each color of thread I had and gave the rest away. It seems that no matter how often I go through this purging of the collections I still end up with about the same amount of stuff by the end of the year. Just different stuff. I do use a lot of what I find at the thrift stores and I do refinish and restore the furniture pieces I find but the fabric and craft stuff just doesn't seem to get done. Might be because my sewing machine is not working and after spending 200.00 to get it fixed, taking it back to the repair shop 3 times at great time and cost in ferry fare and gasoline and it still is not working properly that I get to frustrated to get to the things I want to sew. I know if I had a treaddle machine I would be sewing everyday. Maybe that is the next thing on my list of things to look for at the thrift store. Who knows, maybe someone has one that they do not value and I will be the lucky one to find it!
Happy collecting everyone! Thankyou for this topic.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I just can't seem to help m'self.

Yesterday I hit the motherlode in misc. yarns. Two garbage sized bags of it to be exact @ $5.50 each bag. I sorted it all out last night and I have one bag of plain worsted weight yarns and the other bag is speciality yarns. Like 4 small skeins of purple imported mohair yarn from France, several misc. balls of what must be wool sock yarn, about 10 balls of sugar 'n spice for my dishcloths, about 15 BIG balls of that fancy crinckly yarn, whose name escapes me right now. It's mostly mix and match, but I think I can make several well coordinated afghans and some crazy type ones too. Don't know what I'll do with that mohair. Maybe I'll send it off as a gift to someone!

Also hit the motherlode on misc. denim material. I'm thinking guys aprons with those...

What's a girl to do??????????????????????????

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 24 2005 3:35:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:41:28 PM  Show Profile
wow...you DID hit the motherlode..that is so neat...heck the sugar and cream yarn alone would have cost more than both of the whole bags you got!!! have fun!!!
I guess you may notice that I tend to be a fiberholic enabler!!
Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Aug 24 2005 3:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile
Clare, You fabric goddess! I bet there is pretty purple mohair winter scarf in your future!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree Meadowlark - the first thing I thought of while reading Clare's post was a beautiful neck scarf (scarves) made of mohair!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Perfect ideas, girls! I knew I could count on you!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh Clare -- I'm so jealous!! Try a rag quilt with the denim if you have enough.

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  8:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I was reading one of the other forums and I followed a link to Organizedhome.com and while there I found a fabric stash organizer. This sounds like something we could all use. Looks like they use the binders that you can slip a cover into and then give a page that you can print out to keep track of fabric on. I have just started looking at this web site so I don't know what all is there but I clicked on organized home and then power tools for organization. It looks like one of those sites you could lose yourself in for hours!!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  11:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey Clare..what happened to that "less is more" thread we were discussing ..gee was it just last week?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  06:16:00 AM  Show Profile
I was possesed, I guess. And you girls are enablers, for sure! Talk about co-dependency, eh?

Edited by - Clare on Aug 25 2005 06:17:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  12:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thought on that.......

Strength in numbers...

Misery loves company?

"Two roads diverged into a wood...I took the one to the garage sales!"
Go to Top of Page

Nikki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nikki
Ohio
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  12:46:07 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read this thread in it's entirety (I'll have to grab a cuppa joe some day and just spend the entire day lounging on this entire forum, I think) LOL

Anywho - I just wanted to comment that there were so many times I've read a post on the first page and thought "OH! So, I'm not the only one???????" LOL

You get near a fabric store, and I start foaming at the mouth. I open the entrance doors to go inside, and I swear that I hear angel's singing, and a bright white light surrounds the doors as they welcome me inside! And if a fabric "Speaks" to me - I buy it. Regardless of the fact that I may never have a use for it - but I just GOTTA have it!

Is it bad that I know all of the ladies at our local Joann's Fabrics, all the info on their family members and even got invited to one gal's birthday party last year???? ROFLMAO! If they don't see me for a couple of weeks, I get drilled about where I've been and what I've been up to! LOL

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, You are one of us...

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 26 2005 1:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Nikki -- are you my long lost twin sister? LOL!!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  01:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I think it's time to call the Dr. Phil show, you guys need proffessional help!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I opened my mailbox this AM and inside was my latest fabric purchase from eBay. Beautiful quilt fabric from a new line called Mary Rose. It has a very vintage look to it -- creamy background covered in bouquets of small pink roses!! Love it!

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nikki

You get near a fabric store, and I start foaming at the mouth. I open the entrance doors to go inside, and I swear that I hear angel's singing, and a bright white light surrounds the doors as they welcome me inside! And if a fabric "Speaks" to me - I buy it. Regardless of the fact that I may never have a use for it - but I just GOTTA have it!

Is it bad that I know all of the ladies at our local Joann's Fabrics, all the info on their family members and even got invited to one gal's birthday party last year???

LOL....that's me! And I'm the one who posted the link to the Organized home site. I don't visit there often enough.

My kids used to start crying when we'd pull up in front of a fabric store because they knew we'd be there for hours. The youngest one started packing herself a lunch whenever I would take her shopping. Before we would leave she'd ask if we were going to 'the fabric store.' If so, she would head for the kitchen and come back with her lunch packed. She was only about 4 at the time.

On an uncluttering note: this year I've been going through my fabric stash--I'm a quilter--and seriously cleaning out things I know I'll never use. I'm donating these to the Home Ec teacher at the High School(I think they call it Family Living now or something like that).

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe I forgot the worst thing.....when quilt shops from 100+ miles away starting calling and leaving messages on the answering machine.

That happened to me and I didn't get home first to listen to the message. My husband did! At least he didn't erase it and he did tell me they called. "Something about a pattern you ordered from them. Do you want it mailed or are you going to pick it up?" I tried to pretend that I didn't know what he was talking about but....................well he's seen my sewing room.

Marcia, who's going to the outdoor quilt show at The Buggy Barn in Reardon, WA tomorrow(more fabric!!!)

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
CELTICHEART!!! XXOOXX

Marcia, I have laughed all morning about your daughter packing her lunch, so much that I had to get back on here and tell you. That is just the cutest darn thing I've heard in a long time! What a kid!! God love her.My three girls hated going there too, but they not never thought that far ahead! that is just hilarious. I am going to call the other half of fabulous Farm Femmes and tell her, she will love it to.She is the youngest and she is the only one who likes to sew.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  2:57:29 PM  Show Profile
LOL!!! she who dies with the most fabric WINS!!!
I have three daughters also, had the same problem, I made ALL their clothes, even the underwear, now I just do "crafty" stuff. When one of them hasn't "borrowed" my sewing machine that is! When I asked my oldest if she would return it she asked, "when will you bring it back?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page