Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 5

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  10:23:19 PM  Show Profile
My daughter hates the fabric stores too. She knows when we go to Portland that we're probably going to stop at Fabric Depot. I get whining and eye rolling but she's never packed her lunch. That's too funny!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  3:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, I think I may be curbed. Reality in the form on human suffering of others puts one in a reflective state, and given the fact that I had company a couple weekends ago and had to get organized and face the facts helped too. What I found when I got organized was 10+ paper reem boxes full of material, which are all sorted by color and ready to go when I need them. I imagine I surely do not need more than 10 boxes full of material. Hello...hello... Now I'll get busy and make some really creative projects with them. At the top of the list are aprons!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Good thoughts Clare...very grounding what has been going on in our country. Thanks for the insight.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  9:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Don't feel too bad Clare, I recently found a box of fabric, one piece was leftover from Easter outfits I made my sons when they were 2 & 4 they are 22 and 24 now. I keep them because I am a wannabe quilter, but I think I just don't have the patience. All I have ever managed is appliqued comforters. While they turned out great they are just not "quilts". I am planning on retiring someday so I can maybe take some classes.

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  10:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Clare -- 10 boxes of fabric??? Girl, you do need help!!!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  10:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I just found this thread. This problem must be a disease, but do I really want a cure? The feel and the sight of fabric is something that feeds my soul. I inherited the need for fabric (and all her stash) from my mother-in-law. When my youngest daughter left home, the door was hardly shut before all my sewing stuff, and spill over books went into her room. The computer is there too, so I can just gaze at fabric filled shelves, whenever I want. Our local thrift store carries a big supply of fabric, and it is much cheaper to indulge this habit at thrift stores than at fabric stores.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread, too. I think our addictions are just fine. One, because we deserve to have some fun, too, and two, because the amounts we spend are very small and don't come out of our families' mouths'. When I think of the $$ some women spend on shoes, it makes me physically sick.

Yesterday, the new (temporary) Mrs. Trump was on Martha's show. (I love Martha) She was showing off photos of her extravagant wedding. The dress alone must have been half a million dollars. When I think of all the children that could be fed in our own country who go to be hungry, it really makes me mad.

So Rummage proudly, my Sisters! And have fun!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  02:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My favorite Hoarding story is the lady who had so much fabric and projects going, she put them all into separate boxes with the name of one of her friends written across the side. She figured that way, if she died, they would find the box with their name on it and figure she was working on a project for them and then they would all feel SO badly, instead of being aghast at how much stuff she had!True story!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Funny, Diane. I will have to tell that to my mother. She is starting to fuss about what she should do with her stuff. I told her she dealt with her mother's and sister's stuff, and we will deal with hers. She should enjoy it, and not worry about what will happen to it.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  07:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh Diane, I will definitely have to use that idea! Will share it with my mom too.

Speaking of Mom. Yesterday was her 67th Birthday. We always go junking/antiquing together on her birthday.

This year we got up early and went to spend the day in Fremont, Nebraska. What a wonderful time we had! Fremont is a small, but wonderful, frontier city which has maintained it's downtown streets and buildings. There are 15 antique/fleamarket stores there, along with two quilt shops, and various other charming, locally owned businesses. Interestingly, the Walmart there is small, on the outlying edge of the city, and vastly ignored by most of the residents who prefer small town charm.

At the end of the day when we divided up the loot we had:

two big ziplocs full of vintage (i.e. cotton) rick rack and bias trims
two boxes filled with feed and flour sack material
two vintage "bottle brush" Chirstmas trees
a shoebox full of vintage buttons, most still on the cards
two beautiful wool pennyrugs
One Christmas tree garland which dates to about 1930
4 vintage pincushions and one which was definitely an antique
6 vintage thimbles
two naked, vintage Raggedy Ann Dolls (I like to make dresses for them)
AND....drum roll please.........A 1901 Singer Treadle Machine with all of the "Egyptian" paint intact!

Mom, who has always kept a treadle for "emergencies," (an emergency being there is a power outage in their small town or she and Dad are camped in an RV park without electrical hookups) looked it over and said all it needs is a new leather belt. I only paid $10.00. WooHoo!!!!!! I have been wanting one of my own treadle forever!

Best of all we had a girl day all to ourselves, which after losing Grandma a couple of weeks ago, was really good for us both. Today we are setting to work making "vintage" aprons for my sisters-in law, my nieces, and my aunts , from the feedsack material and the rick rack. Christmas Gifts

Lucinda

Oh, I forgot, I got a gallon sized ziploc filled with DMC embroidery floss.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Edited by - thehouseminder on Oct 23 2005 07:38:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile
oooooh....Lucinda, can I be your honorary Mom?

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile
LUCINDA HITS NEBRASKA FABRIC/TREASURE PAYDIRT!!!! WOW girl...You get the junking/hunter-gatherer award for the month of October and maybe the rest of the year! I am going to have to plan a trip up north Lucinda! You and your Mom did an awesome job! Bottle trees! 1930's Christmas swag! Treadle Machine! Feedsack material!I am in awe...

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda, WOW!
Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  2:56:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm coming to Nebraska to hunt for treasures!! You did good!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, I can use all the mothering I can get OR we can just shop together

If any of you do ever come to NE, you will have to let me know. I'll point you to the target rich areas (or maybe drive you there and make a pest of myself).

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile
It's a date!! Woo hoo, would that be fun!!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:20:48 PM  Show Profile
I went to the fabric store today to get 2 yards of fabric to make an apron for my mother-in-law's birthday. YEAH RIGHT!! I started going through the flat fold tables at $3.99 and $2.99 a yard, hyperventilating the whole time. It wouldn't have been so bad except I kept seeing fabric that I have previously paid $9 a yard now in the flat folds. Needless to say -- I ended up with way more than 2 yards of fabric but sure got some cute stuff for charm squares!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  6:15:00 PM  Show Profile
I am so dying to go to a good fabric store..means a trip to Provo..I havn't been shopping for fabric for awhile. I want to get fabric to make Christmas outfits for the kids..yeah, thats it..thats the ticket!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  8:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Good excuse Jenny!! We can always use our kids as an excuse to go buy fabric! And Mona could probably use something new too.

The little fabric store that is so close to me isn't a traditional quilt store. But they carry lots of great fabric and have TONS of flat folds. It's a good thing I went with limited funds today and no debit card. I'd have been in real trouble.

Edited by - therusticcottage on Nov 01 2005 8:06:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  10:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
You girls are SO funny..I love you all!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  11:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how I wish I had a fabric store here. I have two little quiltshops and walmart, but no place to go for garment fabric or notions. I do all of my shopping on line.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page