Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 5

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  09:48:50 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading your posts and I must say you have opened a whole new world to me...I am not an e-bay shopper, however, I have begun 'looking' at antique tableclothes and etc. I have not bought YET ! :) I am anxiously awaiting for cooler weekends so that I can begin going to flea markets, garage sales, and anywhere I can have the joy of a 'find.

While reading your post I get a smile as I read the joy I 'hear' in your posts. You are a great bunch of farm gals !!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I was just kidding about intervention...I am just as bad as the rest of you, you can ask my kids. Never had a problem with it until my suddenly single mom daughter moved back in with the 3 grandbabies, and hubby and I were making room for them (we only have a 3 bedroom)and he actually "saw" what the stash entailed...he kind of looked amazed or shocked and said "I didn't realize you had THIS much fabric"...God bless him, he didn't say another word but that kind of made me think..so now I am trying to finish projects up and not buy too much fabric for future projects until I actually get to them.One of my midlife revelations I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:43:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Diane, curbing the urge and finishing up projects. Part of the spiritual work I've done has pointed out a very uncomfortable thing to me: examining why I feel the need to "collect or hoard" anything? The reasoning behind examining this is because it represents something that's missing in my life, or something that I'm trying to compensate for, or or or.... you get the idea. So, I had a talk with myself this week: "Self, get busy and finish some projects up. They are not doing you one bit of good being stacked up there. Finish them and then sell them or give them away to those who will appreciate them." So that's my next phase, finishing and giving. I'll probably need lots of positive reinforcement and good thoughts to accomplish this. But, I'm sure I can do it!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I too have a fixation for fabrics. I have material I havent taken out of a box yet from 2 years ago. Spinning & weaving makws a person very tactile. I touch everytrhing to see how its made. I have right now 4 different projects going. 2 hooked rugs, a bedcover and roving to spin inbetween. I love it though. I figure when the weather turns cold I'll finish & start new stuff. Right now I love being in my garden. By fall (which is my favorite season) I'll be more then ready to hunker down for the winter and get more started & finished. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

TwoWildflowers
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Kathleen
Penn Valley Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  09:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Since I fall into the group of "lots of projects" which means my mind works faster than my organizational skills, I embraced this quote.

"A neat house is the sign of a bored woman"

And...my dad used to say he had too many irons in the fire, but not enough fire!

Friends are my flowers in the garden of life
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Is any one in here hooked on fat quarters? I look at them with longing and I think I saved myself last month by misreading a sale ad. Their fat quarters were on sale all month long for a $1. each and you all know how quick it is to spend money at a dollar per. But I read the sale as only being a couple of days and I missed it. Dodged a bullet there.

But now some one has them on for less then a buck. I'm thinking of making a deal with myself. I have a lot of empty soda bottles to take back and I'm thinking to spending some of it on fat quarters. I have quite a few books that have fat quarter projects in them. I also either found on line or saw in a magazine, that someone is selling storage that is made specifically to hold 100 fat quarters so there must be collectors out there.

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
If you can keep yourself to Fat Quarters, you are doing good gal! It could be yards....
I always buy Fat Quarters too, that way I can have a little bit, and the Log Cabin Quilts are my favorite cause they use those and go together fast!If you actually USE them, then don't feel guilty.
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile
claire, i read your letter and it sounded like i was talking to myself in the mirror, and i still cant figure out how to work my sewing machine! randi
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile
I am back. Had to take a few days off. Why? To get a fix. More fabric. LOL I love fat quarters too. I bought a cute halloween set this week end. I buy yards too. I also love patterns. Clothes and stitching one. Please don't find a cure. LOL I love my fabic too much to be healed. LOL
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hey Meadowlark!

Have you tried Joannfabrics.com? A lot of times they have clarance items that are a treasure find themselves.
Just a thought but they may have some.

I've found things there or at AnniesAttick.ocm that I just couldn't find anywhere else or at least not for a decent price.

Good luck!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tawnya! There is a JoAnn's here that is on my list to check when I next go into town. I try to do all my town errands in one stop to save on gas costs It is one of my favorite stores and they seem to have lots of good bargains and clearance sales on fabric. have not heard of Anniesattic but will check that out to! So glad we all are fabric hounds here! I sure don't want the cure for my fabric lust unless it's more fabric!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Kathy - Joann's is having a sale on fat quarters this week - 89 cents each - matched colors - great bargain. I love buying fat quarters because it's a great bundle of colors that you make just about anything with - it's not so overwhelming a project that you never start it. Have fun - you buy them online also.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I know I can feel myself being pulled to the store. I can feel the money getting ready to drain out of my wallet. I have been taking heroic messures to not buy fabric since all of my sewing machines - I think there are three or four in this house are buried somewhere and I really don't have anywhere to sew but I might give into this sale. Once I start buying fabric again it just might be all over for me. I think I need a 12 step program.

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I just "had" to go to Michael's to buy art frames for my son's room. I made him these matts with basball cards and a signed photo of the player. Three in all. It was his special B-Day gift from me. He is a die hard Oakland A's fan-fiend.
Anyway- I get this panic call from my Hubby- "okay, so what did you buy."
Michaels is a wonderful craft store- I'm sure some of you know of it!
I have to say- I was pretty good, actually really good! I bought a few things to make my first Mail Art! I'm so excited I just got the list Sunday- Thank you Kay! You are wonderful.
My hubby is very proud of me! Over the weekend he bought me a wonderful huge trunk for me to put all my "stuff" in. I have an antique one that he's mending up for me. But, honestly I think he was tired of seeing my "stuff" clutter up our new room.
I spend the better half of yesterday going through ALL my stuff. I guess that helped me not to buy any new stuff. I have so many projects that still need to be completed. I just couldn't overwhelm myself any more!
Meadowlark!
I hear 'ya on the saving gas. That is a good reason to shop on line. Also, it's a good way to ensure that you have some "good" mail/packages coming their way.
I'm not sure how to post a link here so if it's okay with you I can e-mail you some of my favorite sites to shop for fabric and such!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Tawnya, Your son's B-day gifts sound adorable! What a clever way to display his baseball cards! Your hubby sounds like a sweetie for getting you a trunk to store your "stuff" in! My DH would say "here's some grocery sacks for you to put your stuff in dearie" My email link is not posted on this site, but I can email you and then you can email me back! Jenny

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  09:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jenny!

I'm actually just getting to my e-mails now so I will look to respond!
My Hubby is a sweetie- thank you. I know that I am blessed. But, hey, there is nothing wrong with grocery sacks!
Actually, I think that he just doesn't like the clutter. Well, unless of course, it's his! Ha! hee, hee, ha!!

I had a lot of fun making my son's gift! His name is Sky, and he just turned 11. He's starting Jr. High in 12 DAYS!
He's such a good kid- I just love making him something because I know how much HE loves it!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, I was at my fav thrift shop again today... and I picked up a nice sized, miscellaneous bag of rickrack, bias tape and hem tape and a couple other odds and ends for 75 cents. Didn't think much of it except tonight when I was sorting through it. Each item was wrapped neatly around cardboard or even a greeting card piece and nicely pinned into place. It really made me sad to think that this is what I may be reduced to in the end... someone taking my sewing odds and ends because no one else sees their worth. I all of a sudden empathized with this sewing lady, whoever she is, and vowed to "do good works with her supplies". That is what I can do to honor her.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 16 2005 7:57:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  8:09:44 PM  Show Profile
That is a lovely thought Clare...and she would be honored by it...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Can any of my fabric obsessed farmgirl sisters tell me if there is a difference between flax or linen fabric or are they the same? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Linen is made from the flax plant. There are various degrees of fineness and the coarser types are sometimes called flax fabric. Linen is a step up in refinement in the process of the fabric making from the reed of the plant. It is softer and less "scratchy", and more finely woven. It gets its luster from a waxy content in the plant.

jpbluesky
heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 18 2005 6:45:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks JP! Is Flax used in alot of antique things used by the peasants of long ago? Was it used in table cloths, bed sheets, nightshirts?

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Time to lock down my checking account, withdraw by debit and credit cards... big time. The bug has hit me hard this week. I'm wondering... I think it's associated with my hormonal cycle. hmmm. More things to contemplate.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking the same thing Clare...I have aquired more fabric this week than I have all year...it is bad!! (but so good!!) I am sure glad I don't have this sort of addictive personality about drugs and alcohol!!! Textiles are easier on your health for sure..but I need to ease back for a few weeks. Did change out my tablecloth today on the kitchen table with a 2 yard peice of fabric (just the perfect size for my rectangular table) thta has hillbillies and barn dance stuff all over it..really cute and retro looking. I usually change the fabric on my table (I keep a med. weight clear plastic sheet over it) about once a month. I have several autumn ones and that will be my favorite time ..it always is..but this one is fun for now.
Good luck with your rehab Clare..we will have to be "buddies". Haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it's this full moon blazing so brightly outside!!! Don't know whether to howl right now or get on ebay...grhhhhhhh1 Think I'll just try to get some sleep

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  9:02:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm sleepy, craving cinnamon rolls like mom made, and feeling scattered all day. Used some progest creme tonight, maybe that'll even me out. $20 here, $20 there, $20 overthere... jeepers... gotta get a grip. It's cloudy here so can't see the moon. Howling might be a good idea.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page