Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 5

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile
I know my fabric issue is in the DNA!!!!! My mother has a whole bedroom full of fabric and sewing supplies, quilt pieces, I am going nuts!!!! I am here at her house using her computer and that old bedroom of mine upstairs full of fabric treasures is calling like a siren song! I must resist...I must resist...oh what the heck a little peak won't hurt? At least I am not on ebay!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Oh, MeadowLark- please do share what treasures you find there!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, Isn't your mom ready to let some of that fabric go?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  3:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Geez you guys!! I know I'm truly addicted when I get excited just reading about other people's fabric stashes!! Meadowlark, I can hardly stand it thinking of your mother's room full to fabric. And JP -- just the thought of all that linen fabric makes me lightheaded. I think I need to go lay down now!!!!!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  6:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Bramble and Karen for your support! I need all the help I can get and I am so thankful that I found this place and wasn't too shy to talk!

The MCTD includes lupus but I'm lucky that for the most part it is inactive. I also have to remember that I didn't get into this mess overnight and I won't get out of it overnight!

Today I wanted to get my new bookcase out of the van and into the bedroom. It's not there yet but I did make 4 phone calls I've been going to make for about 2 weeks. I rescheduled things and I took care of my date book and answered all my emails and I started a craft projects notebook to put all my ideas in one place. And I did unearth my book to put my to do lists in. So it was not a wasted day by any means. But I'm putting that book case on the list for tomorrow.

And yes I've read books by the Fly lady. Great ideas but didn't work for me at that time at least. I'll look at the web site again.

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Kathy - Hang in there - you will get to where you need to be. But first give yourself a break. Don't let guilt and second-guessing yourself get in the way. I have found that there are many life cycles in a woman's life - and you are entering your next one. I have just gone thru a new cycle also. Although it does not involve my health, for the first time since I was 16 I do not have a full time job. I have decided to do my custom home dec sewing business full time from home and this has been a great change for me. Guilt kind of ruled things for awhile, but I have come a long way. Being at home is great, you just have to be comfortable in your own skin and with your own heart. You have already found solice in this forum of great ladies to share your feelings with. You just have to look at it as the next level of accomplishment and understanding in your life. Good luck and stay in touch with those that care.

And yes, ladies, I have tons of fabric stashed in a giant closet in my sewing room - I always thought that was part of the love of sewing - buying and having fabric!! It is obviously a shared and wonderful thing!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  08:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
But Linda is your stash tax deductible because of your home business!!?

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:09:33 AM  Show Profile
I am a sucker for fabric. I love it. I can't get rid of my dad's old fannel shirts so I'll have to turn them into something, quilt maybe. An old friend of my husband passed a few years ago nad he had sooo many cordaroy pants I couldn't get rid of them so I made a quilt out of them. I have some old t shirts that I can't get rid of because of so many memeories. you see, my Mom gets rid of everything, I have like nothing from my child hood. So I always battling over what to keep and what to toss. But fabric gets the best of me and I must keep it all. I've have made such beautiful things from scraps that I have saved. i wish there was a better way to organize all my farbic. Right now it's all in this huge box in my closet and it's so moist here in Humboldt all the time I'm always worried I'm going to lose my treasured collection to mildue.

This is just another way that we are all connecting, so many things we all have in common. It's wonderful, isn't it.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Melissa - I have a huge closet with shelves in it and I have my fabric separated by types on these shelves. I used to use one of the those plastic sweater shelf things that hangs in your closet - like a garment bag. It's a great idea, especially for cotton fabrics, as long as they don't get too heavy.

I have a bag of my Grandmother's house dresses, which she made herself. I'm in the process of cutting them up and making small quilts for the women on that side of my family, so that they will each have a part of her to keep and maybe pass on. I'm not a collector, I hate clutter and don't really keep things - but fabric is definitely in a different category there!! It's very valuable - I buy fabric at flea markets and antique stores when I find something different or vintage.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:59:51 AM  Show Profile
This website makes my day everyday! I laugh out loud and then I realize I must sound nuts, but hey, I am at home alone! Meadowlark, I am glad you got your computer fixed; we would need a "fix" if you did not post here! Loved hearing about your mom's (your old) room. She is probably hoping that you will "clean" it out for her, and then she can know it went to a loving home and stayed in the family! Every time my daughter takes something of mine, I am secretly glad to be rid of it to a place where I know where it is!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  4:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, Oh what I wouldn't give to have some of my dad's shirts!! You should make a rag quilt out of them for yourself. Flannel is the perfect thing to use.

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Erthdancr
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
Gregory Michigan
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Erthdancr an AOL message
Holy cow...kindred spirits! I can't even begin to tell you how much "stuff" I have. I learned to spin and weave in college, therefore I have two looms and two spinning wheels and a cedar chest full of fleece and yarn. Then I learned to knit. Thank goodness knitting needles are small. Then I decided to learn to sew. I started on my grandma's 1939 Deluxe Kenmore, moved onto a portable Singer and now have Viking. I have also accumulated a serious amount of fabric. My husband built me a cutting table with cabinets undernearth (4 double kitchen-size cabinets)which are filled to capacity with fabric...there's also four large storage tubs and 4 drawers in an old dresser filled with fabric. Then I decided to make soap. So far, soap supplies take up the least amount of space. I also have a storage tub filled for each of X-stitch stuff, rug hooking stuff and patterns. I also do beadwork. I have LOTS of beads! Since I started doing Civil War re-enactment, I've been on the look-out for antique lace and linens. I'm getting quite the collection! Did I mention that I also like to dye fabric...and paint on it and stamp it and stencil it?? And I always seem to have to buy a few books to go along with all these projects.

It's so great to know that I'm not the only textile collector out there! Surely someone has to have more stuff than I do!

By the way...I only have one apron that my son 18 year old sewed back in 7th grade Home Ec class.

Rebecca

An immaculate house is the sign of a wasted life.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  7:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Hi every one! I'm proud to say that I got my book shelf up today and 95% of the stuff that was on my small kitchen table is gone - put away. I now have about three shelves of books on a small book shelf behind me. Most of them are quilting books. And all this on a very hot and humid day in the Northeast!!

I also found a friend who wants to go thrift shopping with me. That may not be a good thing! Except she has a two little ones and a very small vehicle so maybe that will keep me under control. I also found a time management forum has started up so I definitely have to post over there since that's a huge problem for me too!!

Kathy in New York

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  7:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi JP, I just had time to take a peak yesterday at Mom's fabric "warehouse"/old daughter's bedroom. I have shared with her my love for this forum and all the farmgirls who are gathered here. I told her about this topic of fabric fiends and hoarders and she laughed and said that was her 15 years ago... She has plastic bins everywhere with fabric and projects! I remember she bought fabric for a quilt she was going to make for my eldest daughter 20 years ago...Going to reclaim that and start it...perhaps a wedding quilt? And a french country muslin all white quilt to that just needs to have 1 square finished and then the backing sewn to it...Have an idea of french ticking fabric for the back...claiming this from Mom...I haven't even scratched the surface yet...these unfinished quilts of hers called to me.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - the white one does sound wonderful. And I can just picture a ticking fabric in a soft hue. And a lot of the work is already done! Who could ask for more? :)

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile
The white quilt sounds so pretty and I think that ticking would be the perfect compliment! You have to share pics when you get it done.

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  4:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
MeadowLark!

Sounds like a wonderful treasure you have found- the best sort of treasures!
I'm excited to hear how your quilt comes along and any of the others that you may decide to finish as well!!
Thanks for sharing with us your amazing treasure hunt!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  5:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi little feather! I am working on finishing this white quilt top my Mom started over 20 some years ago...it will be beautiful. I have been pricing french ticking on ebay...all I gotta say is JEEEEEEPERS!it is pricey! Think I will look into a more economical alternative...something soft and subtle, maybe a Toile in grey or light blue. I will probably tuck this quilt away when finished for my daughters to fight over when I am pushing up daisies!

Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  5:49:22 PM  Show Profile
HI,
I am so happy I am alone. I love fabric and old linens. My local fabric store and I are on a first name bases. LOL I start quilt classes in 2 weeks. So That will be an excuse to buy more fabric. Right now I use it for crafts and clothes. Add quilt making and oh boy more fabric. I love to feel and smell new fabric. I could just walk around the fabric store for hours just touching. My dh calles it grazing. LOL
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Uh oh, sounds like a 12 step program maybe your only salvation...calling other farmgirls in LA..HELP.. It's fabriholic intervention time!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- we don't want intervention. We don't want to be cured!!! LOL!

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  06:13:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Kay. Don't want to be cured. If textiles ever become a controlled substance, I guess they'll have to lock me up and throw away the key!

Lucinda

P. S. Mom and I are meeting at the quilt shop this morning to get our Mystery Quilt Block for this month. Then we will be junking for the rest of the day. With any luck, I'll be adding to the stash.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  06:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Lori, That is sooo funny! I'll have to secretly rename my sewing room and call it the somewhere room.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a "somewhere house"!!!!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile
You guys are too funny!! But I love the idea of a "somewhere" room -- I think my sewing room probably qualifies.

--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Textile & Stitchaholics Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page