Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Winter Theme 12 1/2 inch QuiltBlockSwap *FULL*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Winter Theme 12 1/2 inch QuiltBlockSwap *FULL* Next Topic
Page: of 13

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh no!! We are all on the same page with snowmen! This just ooozes of mindreading and "invasion of the bodysnatchers!" I love it.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Where do you all find your 12 1/2" block patterns. The only thing I can find is patterns for 12".

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  2:15:38 PM  Show Profile
You can do a google search for quilt block patterns 12 1/2 unfinished or 12 inch finished. That is what I do. A 12 inch block is really 12 1/2 unfinished.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I have a book that has a few 12 1/2 block patterns. I would be happy to copy and mail them to you if you would like. Just email me your mailing address.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheryl-lyn.

Cheryl,
I will take a look on google. thanks for the offer.

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Done... all 16 of them.
And it was a lot of fun. Hope you will all like them. Kathy I've just emailed you, I need your street address please, because a friend of us in leaving Kuwait day after tomorrow to go take a cousrse in the Us, so he will mail 15 blocks to you, right from Oklahoma. I am so excited now.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Denise,
Ummm, when you have finished the block and it is on your cutting mat it should measure 12 1/2. But, after you have sewn it together with the other blocks it will be 12 inches. That extra 1/2 inch is your seam allowance. 1/4 inch on each side of the block.
Soooooo, if you see a 12 inch block pattern, most likely that is the finished size, meaning when it is in your quilt. But when it is on your mat it will be 12 1/2.
Im I confusing you????

Kathy H
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Ladies...Have I made a mistake????Please let me know if your name is not on the list. Somehow I am missing a name.

Kathy H
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:22:57 PM  Show Profile
well, I am on there, but i am glad i reread..i was panicking that they were due oct 15th...jeez..i am losing it..ofcourse, i have been last on the last coupla swaps, so maybe i should stick to oct 15th date that i thought it was!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I cannot wait to see your blocks, drat, now I am bummed cause I love love love snowman......ahhhhhh was trying to behave and not overwhelm myself....Pictures girls when you are done.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Corinne,
That is fantastic! You are a quick block maker! I cant wait to see them.
I am a little behind with things right now. I just went back to work thursday last week. And boy am I tired. Trying to catch up on some things.
Oh and the worst thing of all happened. Our company had another round of layoffs. I was lucky. My job is safe. But my boss has lost hers. Her last day will be the 19th. Now I will be asked to do half of her job along with mine. And of course there will be extra money.
So anyway...
How is everyone doing on there blocks? We would all like to here from you.

Kathy H
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if everyone is washing their fabric first? It is good to know because if some do and some don't we may end up with puckers from some of them shrinking when the quilt is washed. I am still searching for a pattern. I am sure it will go quickly once I have found one.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  4:00:22 PM  Show Profile
KathY,
I believe sunshine signed up for 2 sets and you only have her on once.

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  5:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Denise, I usually do not wash my fabric. I have not started on my blocks so if everyone decides to pre-wash I sure can.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  6:18:52 PM  Show Profile
I do not prewash either. I never have and it doesn't matter so far! LOL I have not started my blocks yet, but plan to get to it sometime in the next few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
yes i think you are right!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  7:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yes I signed up for two sets but only see my name once with ??? marks below it sorry I have been gone all day and didn't know there was an issue with this

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I didn't pre-wash the fabrics. I had to get an early start making them because it is an issue to mail things out of Kuwait, and I was planning to send them latter when I heard I will have the perfect opportunity in a few days. Have a great time ladies as I had one making them. Hope you will like them.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Good point about the washed/not washed fabrics, I was wondering that myself, but didn't get a chance to ask yet. My fabrics are not washed, but I haven't started yet... This will only be my 2nd time at making quilt blocks. The first time I made blocks/a quilt was for a wall hanging for my bedroom, which I am extremely proud of and absolutely love to look at! I hope these go as well as those blocks did. I wanted to start cutting out my fabrics today and since corinnelouise did not prewash her fabrics and her blocks are already made... I guess I won't wash mine either?? is that the right thing to do? If anyone has a definitive answer for me, please post and let me know. I'm having computer issues (my screen is starting to "go") so hopefully my computer will cooperate and I'll be able to check later and see any new posts...

"He who works with his hands is a laborer, he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who works with his hands, head and heart is an artist." -St. Francis of Asisi
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  08:56:59 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you mentioned the wash/don't wash subject....I will not pre-wash mine either.
Got my fabric, & if all goes well I will start cutting & sewing next week. I found 2 pattrens, now I just have to decide on which one to make.
Well, off to the Vet's to pick up kitty food & maybe a run through Starbucks....much needed pumpkin latte'.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad I asked. So I guess we won't pre-wash and then there won't be a problem.
Haven't started mine yet but was just waiting to find out about the washing. Hoping to get time today to start. Finally found my pattern too.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 04 2007 09:15:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  09:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
i am thinking of embroidering some of mine is this ok with every one

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh no! All my fabric has been washed. It is a habit I got in to a long time ago. I was in a swap group where they demanded the fabric be pre washed because of allergies and the use of formaldehyde in the fabrics. But I was also told because of the chance of shrinkage. But one of the ladies said that a good steam ironing will do the same.
I will purchase more fabric so we are the same.
What better excuse to take another trip to the fabric shop.
And I fixed sunshines name on the list. I must be getting forgetfull or someone is playing a trick on me. I will have to talk with my daughter. Sometimes I don't log off and she likes to read all the threads. She says she can't believe all the things this group swaps and shares with each other. She calls me crazy. But arent we all just a little?

Kathy H
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  10:45:17 AM  Show Profile
I have found kathy that your blocks fare the same as those of us who are too lazy to wash our fabs. I have never had size issues with your blocks compared to ours, even after several washings!

and sunshine...embroider away..we will all love it!
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  12:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, I think the embroidery would be pretty! Kathy, I have never had a problem when I have mixed washed and not washed. I think once the quilt is quilted, it holds the fabric so there is not a big difference.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Winter Theme 12 1/2 inch QuiltBlockSwap *FULL* Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page