Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic
Page: of 9

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  7:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Yes - love food movies! Babette's Feast, Mostly Martha - and Tortilla Soup. Please continue to share food movies - I'd love to see some I haven't found yet! I have Big Night and Chocolat...
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  06:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love "Where the Heart is"!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
You guys mentioning Return to Me....oh I love love that movie and so does my husband and kids (yes my boys love that movie, especially my 12yo son). Carroll O'Connor and his buddies were the hit of that movie, what a hoot they all were!

I also own Matchmaker on dvd with Janeane Garofolo...that movie is sooo adorable! I'm also a sucker for those Irish flicks (must be the Irish in me)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  12:04:45 AM  Show Profile
A must for all mothers and daughters, sisters and ANYONE WHO LOVES WOMEN..."Real Women Have Curves". This movie made me stop poking fun at my flaws and weight issues and just say this is who am right now,live with it, deal with it and learn to like it! Plus it was a hoot!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, I just picked up a copy of
"The corn is Green" because I love Katherine Hepburn. It turns out that the movie features Betty Davis and not Katherine Hepburn but I love Betty Davis too so I did enjoy it.

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, Have not found the version of Othello with Anthony Hopkins yet. Still looking. Found 3 other versions though.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  09:07:53 AM  Show Profile
We just watched a really funny older movie with Steve martin. "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" It is done in black and white in the style of old Alfred Hitchcick thrillers but with comedy inserted. It is made up of a bunch of clips from famous old movies all stitched together to make a new story, We loved it. It was fun to see old movie clips out of context and try to remember where they came from. The mystery is solved in the end when the credits tell you where they were originally seen. What fun!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  4:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen "Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio." I just read a brief synopsis and it sounds kind of cute. We all seem to have similar taste so I would be interested in the "Farmgirl Revue."

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile
i will have to run to wally-world and look for this .. i, too, began reading the book years ago .. don't think i finished it either! what wonderous stories she had to tell! frannie

quote:
Originally posted by bramble

I know there is somewhere an old posting on this topic but I can't seem to locate it., so here goes. Just finished watching "The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Explains It ALL" and loved it! Read the book years ago but didn't care for it as much (rare for me).You will love the scenery, time setting, the clothes (Diane Lane wears an apron that is almost identical to my favorite but the back of mine is curved not straight at the hem), and her character is a girl who learns to live just left of center the constraints set for women in her day. She's feisty, plucky, funny, compassionate and learns to turn her life into a life worth living and cherishes her days here on earth though they may not be what everyone would call ideal.Donald Sutherland, Cicely Tyson and Anne Bancroft complete this quirky but neat movie.( I got it in the $5.00 DVD bin at WalMart on my way home from camp.Money well spent!)

with a happy heart

Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eileen

We finally got the KIKIs Delivery Service from the library.

Neato, Eileen! Kiki is the BEST! The only other Miyazaki movie that is this totally kind is "My Neighbor Totoro." I think it's made for a slightly younger mindset but it's gorgeous and fun.

I watched Blue Egg Babe's The Grange Fair last night. It was awesome. Great story, incredible cinematography. I was amazed at how well it was done. Now Carol wants to watch it. Can we keep it one more week, Ms Egg? Please?

Oh yeah, and i watched a movie with my folks two nights ago that really got to me. Carol told me i HAD to watch it. It's called "The Girl in the Cafe" It's a boy meets girl movie and is set in the context of eraticating world hunger/poverty. Both protaginists are delightfully shy and fumbling, but the girl is so brave it still gives me chills. When it was over my folks & i just laughed and smiled and cried and wished and wondered. Truly a lovely, lovely movie.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile

Sure thing, GoalieBird,
Pass Grange Fair all around. BigSister Blue Egg Babe is on the inside cover reminding everyone to whom it belongs so.....
No worries.
Enjoy.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  09:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh Boy Did we have fun watching an oldie this weekend!!
Checked out a special DVD of two old movies. "Topper" with Cary Grant, Constance Bennett and Roland Young and Billie Burke.
The second one was "Topper Returns" with Joan Blondel, Roland Young, Billie Burke( I think she was the good witch in the wizard of oz)Rochester and several other funny actors. We laughed a lot through Topper but then Topper Returns was even funnier. Roland Young is really very funny and Billie Burke is wonderful and clueless.
Check it out it is a fun evening!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, here's a new movie I love - Dreamer - with Kurt Russell and Kris Kristofferson. Saw it yesterday with 2 of my boys and we all thought it was very good. Beautiful KY horse country.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  5:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Great movie on tonight girls on TCM...11:00pm Central The Trouble With Harry, 1955, Shirley Maclaine, John Forsythe, Edmund Gwinn, a comedy about rural Vermonters and where to bury a corpse, more than once! Cozy up in your afghans by the fire or with a cup of tea and enjoy this one!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Not too long ago I watched "Bell, Book and Candle" with Kim Novak, JAmes Stewart, Jack Lemmon. What great photography! I was in North Carolina sitting up late with one of my best girlfriends, and we really enjoyed it. I love to look at the interior designs and the lighting used. It is a very artistic movie. It made me think that the show "Bewitched" used a lot of similar characters in the TV sitcom.

In reference to another post on the previous page, in 1977 I watched a TV movie called The Corn is Green and Katherine Hepburn was the star in it, not Bette Davis. Maybe there are two versions.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 04 2005 8:04:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  10:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
The one I watched (The Corn is Green) was with Kate Hepburn too, have it on video. LOVE that movie.Did Bette do a version too? I must have missed that.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  06:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Diane - Eileen said she has seen a version with Bette Davis. Maybe Kate Hepburn's was a remake for TV. I don't know, but I loved the film!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile
I will have to go back to the library and see when the Version of the Corn is Green that I watched was made and also find out if the made for TV version is available on tape or DVD to see it too. I think Katherine Hepburn would be a really fun School Marme.
Eileen

Edited by - Eileen on Nov 05 2005 09:24:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I bet Bette Davis was too!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Eileen, if you can't find it I will loan you mine. It is very worth watching!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  8:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, so many good movies. Let's see...I love Chocolat, About a Boy, Moonlight Mile, The Village, Sense and Sensiblity, Moulin Rouge, Cold Mountain, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

For old movies anything with Cary Grant or Audrey Hepburn or Katherine Hepburn. And yes, I like Doris Day, too.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  07:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Went to see the new release of "Walk the Line" last night...
about the early life of Johnny Cash. Joaquin Phoenix's performance of "the man in black" was nothing short of incredible. He even did all of his own singing as well did Reese Witherspoon, who sang her part as June Carter.Just had to come home and dig up and dust off my old album of Johnny singing Folsom Prison Blues.
I really enjoyed the movie.

ALSO, so looking forward to a movie that is being released in January called "Tristan and Isolde".They bill it as "Before Romeo and Juliet there was...." Here is a description I plucked off the internet:
"This longtime dream project of producers Tony Scott and Ridley Scott explores the medieval legend of a princess and warrior's love affair, which threatens to tear apart an uneasy peace between England and Ireland. A tale of epic battles, royal intrigue and a timeless, star-crossed passion."
All I can say is the trailer had such striking and beautiful visuals, soundtrack and of course the thrill of forbidden love.
I cannot WAIT to see this one!!!

www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  10:14:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recs BEB! Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favorite actors these days...there is Oscar talk about this movie....also I love those princess/warrior /castles films...this sounds like an awesome movie!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile
I am a sure sucker for all those "times of olde" movies.
I love the medieval attire, the beauty of the languages,the rich historical backdrop (minus modern day cars,telephones,etc)
you name it...
I am there!!!

www.farmatcoventry.com
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  11:56:39 AM  Show Profile
We saw Walk the Line last night, too, and loved it! I love how June Carter stuck by him and brought him through his dark days. She was so loveable! Did you also see a preview for Casanova with Heath Ledger? Another British of olde movie coming soon. And I'd like to go see the new Pride and Prejudice...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page