goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Janeane Garofalo is a TOTAL babe to yours truly. She's in my top five starlets catagory. If anyone cares. I hope Janeane cares. If you're reading this, Janeane, you are a knockout. And Matchmaker was a hoot.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Geez,
you even knew how to spell her name the right way.
It must be starlet love.

BEB

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Janeane G??? I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  08:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Thought of some other movies from the 60's I love... Joy in the Morning with Richard Chamberlin and Yvette Mimeaux, A Patch of Blue and Lilies of the Field, Sidney Poitier, THE most elegant actor and still is! The Sandpipers, Liz and Dick, loved that house on the beach. Liz is just always walking around the beach barefoot wearing these really cool ponchos, with a bourbon and seven on the rocks in hand and Dick is always trying to "figure her out"...ah life in the 60's on a beach in Carmel, California ( I think...except for the booze...and it would have to be Russell Crowe instead of Burton)

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Sep 24 2005 12:15:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
A Patch of Blue gave me nightmares as a child - the scene where the whatever is thrown and hits the baby in the face and blinds her. I think Morgan Freeman is elegant in the same way Sidney Poitier is. He and Anthony Hopkins are way up there!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  5:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Morgan Freeman is great! I agree with KJD, I'm feeling pretty good about myself now too! She is a great actress.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  12:13:36 PM  Show Profile
The artist that did "the gleaners" is Millet (pronouced Mille'). I saw this painting when I was in France at the Louve, it is beautiful and rich. Anyone who loves Van Gough will appricate Millet. Van Gough thought of Millet as a mentor.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Edited by - sqrl on Sep 26 2005 12:24:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, a good shakespear movie is Othello. It has Anthony Hopkins as Othello. And he does an amazing job, so much emotion.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  1:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Melissa!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, Haven't seen that one yet. It is on my list now!
Eileen Went to the library and got Miracle last night. It was a wonderful film. I would never have picked it up if not for you guys.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile
On one of our movie topics recently, All That Heaven Allows, with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman was recommended. Just finished it and can say that I enjoyed it! Meadowlark, you would really like that woody stationwagon that Rock drives! I particularly noted that she knew no good reason to have a "television set", but her kids insisted, and everyone was pushing it as a "fix" for the lonely widow blues. Egads!!! Ahhh. Those were the days. And to live in a converted mill, wow... wood and history all around ya, not to mention floor to ceiling windows. The message of the movie, though, of being true to yourself and not a slave to any societal standard was a very good one. And then there's the May-December relationship angle..... <sigh>... Thanks girls... good movie!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Sep 28 2005 7:29:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Clare! That is one of my favorite movies. I know of the station wagon you mention, heart be still. I loved the impromptu party Rock and his friends have with the checked table clothes and old saw horses and chianti wine melted candles. Agnes Moorehead always plays those rock solid girlfriend types. The old mill house is really nice and cozy. The deer outside the big window is a nice touch too. Great flick!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile
We finally got the KIKIs Delivery Service from the library. It came with two discs so we were able to watch the special features too. Film animation is one field my middle son has been interrested in for years and even attended the Seattle Art Institute in the field. He is currently more focused on his music carrer than his art but still has a great interrest in animation. He has recommended these films to us several times but we just did not get to them I am so glad we did now. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the second disk where it is just all the story boards run with the dialog. It was wonderful and fascinating to watch it this way after having watched it in full color animation. Now we will watch all the rest of them.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't that a great one Clare? Not only the woody, but the old mill turned home! And the scenery at Rock' place, be still mt heart.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  7:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Kim, Don't you think Clare needs to watch Magnificent Obsession now? It is kind of like that movie Pay it Forward with Kevin what's his name and Helen Hunt? Another Rock and Jane and Agnes movie, but a gem!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Guess what? Magnificent Obsession was on tonight on TCM!!! Caught the last hour! Great movie!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  05:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Junebug,
Just got notice that "your" movie is showing starting tonight in our local art film theater.Here's the review for...

JUNEBUG (U.S. 2005 dir by Phil Morrison)
Red state/blue state tension is the backdrop for this debut feature
in which a newlywed Chicago art dealer travels south with her native
North Carolinian husband to try to land a reclusive modern
day "folk" artist for her gallery.
Having grown up as a child of a diplomat, Madeline (Embeth Davidtz)
is the epitome of sophistication. With her handsome hunk of a
husband George (Alessandro Nivola), she travels to N.C. to meet and
bag an eccentric artist. Once in Carolina, the couple heads for
George's family home, which he left years ago. His mother Peg (Celia
Weston) is a fearsome matriarch who emits withering vibes of
disapproval to all except George; George's younger brother (Ben
McKenzie), is full of nicotine and anger which he takes out on his
pregnant teenage wife Ashley (Amy Adams, who steals the movie);
meanwhile ineffectual father (Scott Wilson) hides out in his
basement workshop until he's called for church. Disturbed by being
back home, George leaves Madeline to fend for herself much of the
time. As one critic notes, Angus MacLachlan has written "what
amounts to a Tennessee Williams play for the Wal-Mart era" as it
glides among the one-story houses, basement church socials and
secluded back roads where Jesus is omnipresent. The cultures clash
in ways that may at first seem predictable, but the film doesn't
settle for easy scores. R. 103 mins..

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  06:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Dang, Meadowlark, I missed M.O. on TCM. Maybe it will repeat,- hope so because my library doesn't have that one, and my video rental place is lame on classic movies.

I heard a review of the movie Junebug on the CBS Sunday morning show about a month ago... I too thought of our Junebug, but then quickly thought, naaa... because the reviewer said it was a rather dark, disturbing movie... too bad, our Junebug deserves better!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  08:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone else love "Where the Heart Is" and "Steel Magnolias"? Those two have GOT to be my favorite movies (along with Stripes, Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean(Johnny Depp!!!)) Steel Magnolias makes me cry like a baby every single freakin' time I watch it and I've seen it a 100 times!

blog.myspace.com/rlph

Colliehaven's Farmgirls - southern IN chapter
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  2:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Just for kicks, Meadowlark, I did a search and found that M.O. will be playing again Sunday afternoon! I'll be awatching!

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,72536,00.html

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever seen a movie from the 80's originally titled "Winter People" with Kelly McGillis and Kurt Russell? It was very unusual film for both of them and quite good in a strange sort of way. It was set I think in an Appalachian village and had a sort of Hatfield -McCoy vibe going on but there was some amazing scenery and you never knew what way the plot would develop. Not for kids, there is a very disturbing "occurrence" but interesting to watch the unfolding with these unlikely actors who do a good job.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Winter people was good..I watched it years ago! It was very very different characters for both of them...but good!! And Rachel...I LOVE both Where the Heart is and Steel Magnolias!! My kind of movies!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  2:46:46 PM  Show Profile
It's pretty thrilling to find people who LOVE movies like I do! And many of the same ones - esp. Something to Talk about! -so many quotable lines!, and love the horses. Roan Inish, Working Girl, Chocolat ( seen Babette's Feast?) Finding Neverland....I watch most of these over and over and own many. Favorites not mentioned - just saw Hotel Rwanda which was amazing; Mostly Martha - a German foodie film;About a Boy - Hugh Grant (sigh), Bridget Jones (the first one), an incredible sad, happy movie with gorgeous scenes in Alaska called Leaving Normal; Ever After with Drew Barrymore; I am Sam ( tears!); Matt Damon in anything, ditto James Earl Jones. I adored Bend it Like Beckham, which is about soccer and first loves - great Indian music (India-Indian) . Thanks for all the ideas for the next trip to the library video shelf!
Kat
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Blanket of Stars...Love those food movies...Mostly Martha, Chocolat, ect... Have you ever seen Like Water for Chocolate, and Chef in Love? Excellent!!! Babette's Feast was great too... One of the best food/kitchen scenes was the chick food/flour fight in Fried Green Tomatoes...The look on the sheriff's face when he sees the girls on the floor covered in flour and food and then Ruth smears chocolate frosting all over him is classic!!!

Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  5:10:19 PM  Show Profile
No, Meadow, haven't heard of Chef in Love. I'll see if the video store has it - I haven't seen Fried Green Tomatoes in YEARS. Gotta check it out...I love the surrealism of Like Water for Chocolate! Faces in the windows, naked riding into the sunset, fireworks....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page