Page: of 9

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  09:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I love "Pretty Woman" with Julia Roberts, "Steel Magnolias" (adore Dolly Parton), "Working Girl" with Melanie Griffith and whenever I am feeling a little down, I turn on the last ten minutes of "Dirty Dancing". Watching Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in that dance scene just brings me back to life every time.

Don't feel totally, personally and irrevocably responsible for everything. That's MY job. Signed, GOD
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  10:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Steel Magnolias is great! Lots of quotable lines in that one. I also love Return to Me. And the 1st hour or so of Barefoot in the Park with Robert Redford. 2nd half of the movie gets odd.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey MeadowLark I have seen "The Gleaners". I never knew about this such thing until I saw the movie. Very interesting thing.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  9:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Goalie boy,
All I have to say about Mystery, Alaska is "I have a toy pony, he takes big sh*ts."

"We can do no great things; only small things with great love."
-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  1:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh geeze, Ms Pinup, i love that line.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  1:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Sqrl, I had not heard of gleaners either. There is a famous painting called The Gleaners. I don't know the artist, but it was painted in the 1800's in France and depicts whole families in a farmer's field with baskets picking up left over produce. It is to bad gleaning is kind of taboo in our country. There would not be the huge landfills and waste problems. Speaking of gleaning...I drove by a neighbor who is remodeling and there was a cute old end table sitting by the road ready to be taken to the dump. I really wanted to pick it up but DH said "no"... I don't understand his mentality.If I lived on my own in a large urban center I would be a nocturnal bin diver. I hate waste!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  2:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Holy Geeze Miss PinUp, can't believe you said that...I am telling your mother...oh yeah I AM your mother.....

Maybe it was Fargo I am thinking where they say Holy Geeze all the time?

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Sep 21 2005 2:29:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Yeh, i think it was Fargo. Good one, Mrs Femme. I think that movie actually influences how peoples talk all over the place. Ya. It would be fun to make a future based SF movie where they all talk like Fargo, even the aliens and pets (who can now talk). That would be a heckofa deal, doncha know.

Edited by - goalieboy on Sep 21 2005 3:00:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile
In the Bible, Ruth and Naomi were gleaners - a couple of months ago, I saw a bookshelf out with the trash at my neighbors - I asked my husband to get it, if it looked OK, and he went and picked it up. I spray painted it and it is by the kitchen table, holding books and looks great!!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  4:54:26 PM  Show Profile
In the Bible, Ruth and Naomi were gleaners - a couple of months ago, I saw a bookshelf out with the trash at my neighbors - I asked my husband to get it, if it looked OK, and he went and picked it up. I spray painted it and it is by the kitchen table, holding books and looks great!!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
That's great KJD!!! Next time I won't tell DH and I will just pick it up. I found a picture of a bridge in a ditch near our house when I was with DH and he got it. If stuff is in front of someones house he doesn't want to take it. Go figure, it is going to be trashed anyway. Did not know Ruth and Naomi were gleaners!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Yes - Ruth 2:2 - Ruth said to Naomi, Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain...Naomi said to her, "Go ahead my daughter". So she went out and began to glean in the fields behind the harvesters...
Ruth Ch. 1 mentions Orpah, whom Oprah was named for. Oprah said her mother spelled the biblical name wrong...Has anyone discussed Oprah anywhere on the list? I admire her -
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:19:49 PM  Show Profile
i watched Return To Me--nary a drink, either--and lived. Sorry, but i don't get it. My chickness must be broken. Minnie Driver sure is kissable, though. She could have my heart any day.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, obviously, Goalieboy, you must watch it again, this time, WITH drink...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, don't feel bad gb, I rented it sometime back and couldn't make a go of it...and I am a chick... well I thought i was! It was just too much for me. Another rental fee wasted. geeeezzz.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 22 2005 7:40:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
The entertaining part of Return to Me is the social interaction between Granpa & his card buddies,Bonni Hunt and Jim Belushi's parenting of their kids, let alone the silly bowling nights. Come on, for a fluff movie it was funny.Maybe you had to have funny old relatives like them, as I do, to enjoy them as much as I did.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  07:24:55 AM  Show Profile
We had someone loan us a copy of The Clearing with Robert Redford, Helen Mirren, etc... All I can say is INTENSE is an understatement. Don't watch this movie with children or when you are looking for something to lift your spirits. It is one of those movies that leaves you with the feeling you've been punched in the stomach and are going to be thinking about it a long time. Not the effect I usually want from a movie( or my life...) but oh so thought provoking! Let me know what you think.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, I agree with you totally on The Clearing. I made it through that only because it was Robert Redford. I just don't do violent movies of any kind usually... intense is a very good word for it.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile
You're right, Diane. I probably picked the wrong time to watch it, that's all. There are too many worries going on at the moment and i watched it to forget. So my perception of it is off-key and overly critical. Time for a hike and a book.

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Oiii,
I have finally had the chance to look over this topic and found so many of you love the same movies I love. Lately I have been on a documentary binge.
Also our library has just been collecting a lot of old silent movies that I have loved as well as some really old TV series that my husband and I have found to be quit amusing. Some have been amusing because they were so far fetched and inacurate and some just because they are so slow.
I have loved all the old Katherine Hepburn movies and Jimmy Stewart is another of my favorites. One of my more recent but still quite old movie favorites that I pull out on cold lonely winter evenings when my husband is not home is "Murphys Romance" Silly I know but I love James Garner and his being paired with Sally Feilds is just o fun.
As for foreign movies I have really enjoyed "Shall We Dance" in the original Japanese version. The american version does not make as much sense as we do not have the social Mores of the Japanese that make this so compelling. I did not like the american version even though it had two actors I admire.
I loved "Nell" and pull out "Grumpy old Men" and "Grumpier old Men" when I want a laugh out loud night. I love all movies Irish and so enjoy watching "Circle of Friends" while doing hand work or ironing. I usually watch old movies while ironing.
"The Notebook" is another one I love.
As for musicals I have "Moulin Rouge" The music sends me singing through anything I am doing. "Phantom of the Opera"
"De-Lovely" "Fiddler on the Roof" I saw this live on stage in London in 1969 with the original cast and it is still a favorite of mine.At the same time in my life I also went to see a lot of open air stage presentations of shakespeare plays. I still love Shakespeare and enjoy watchin movie versions of all of them. One that I watch over and over again is " A Midsummer Nights Dream" with Michelle Pfeiffer Rupert Everett. Calista Flockheart Kevin Kline and Stanley Tucci.I enjoyed Shakespeare in Love too. It puts him in a more human light and makes me laugh.
One my son recommended was "Cosi" which I now own and watch while ironing too.
O couple of movies I got on sale at our video outlet are "Unconditional Love" and "Hope Springs". I am a sucker for Romantic Comedy.
Titanic ahh titanic. Then there is my husbands favorite old movie "The Rocketeer"
Did anybody see the movie "Iris" with Judi Dench and Kate Winslet? It is a very moving film about Alsheimers Disease that came out a couple years before "The Notebook"
Another one about mental disorder that was excellent is "A Beautiful Mind" I would have had a really hard time with this one if I had seen it in the theater but on DVD with all the commentaries and interviews with the real person it is about made it possible for me to understand.
Just a few of my picks.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Clare and Erik,to bad you guys where disappointed with Return to Me. I agree that the death of Bob’s wife was emotional,and the fact that the girl he falls in love with has his late wife’s heart in a transplant operation. This does sound unbelievable, but some how the movie pulls it of in a heart-warming way. Real life humor with Jim Belushi (Joe). I love the scene where Joe, Grace, and Meg are in the kitchen, and Joe is dancing around with no shirt, large belly, talking about how irresistible he is. I was laughing out loud. There is a sense of magic when Bob and Grace meet for the first time and a gentleness of handholding and bike riding. Maybe it is just the hopeful romantic in me again….And you just have to fall in love with Carroll O’Connor and his buddies playing cards, drinking a beer, and listening to the greatest music ever. I recommend the sound track totally and I will watch this one again.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free

Edited by - Julie on Sep 23 2005 1:11:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Julie, you are right. I couldn't get myself past the sad parts to get to the funny parts. Maybe if I hadn't been watching it alone it would have made a difference. I'll put it back on my list as a re-try.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile
BlueEggBabe,

It sounds like we like the same kinds of movies. I love the Secret of Roan Inish. I own it and Waking Ned Devine, but want to buy the others. Have you seen "Matchmaker"? I watche "The Quiet Man" every year around St. Patrick's Day too.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  1:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
A really inspriring but little seen movie by Katherine Hepburn is The Corn is Green. Anyone else seen and loved it? She portrays a turn of the century schoolteacher trying to give an education to Welsh children forced into coal mining at an early age. Wonderful scenes of her in vintage clothing riding her bike, wonderful scenery,some small comic character actor roles, and a theme that one person CAN make a difference makes this one of my fav's!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes Debbie,
I DID see " Matchmaker" !! I completely forgot about that one!
I liked Jannine(?)Garofolo's character...such a cynical cutie.
(Come to think of it, I liked her in "About Cats and Dogs", too.)
Yup, I am an Irish film junkie....that I am.
Especially when I'm under the weather or feeling out of sorts. There is something about Ireland that says "home" to me.
Big sigh,favorite old quilt,boiling hot cup of Irish tea with cream and honey and an Irish flick.......
one of my favorite cures.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page