The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile
I have a new movie to add. I just watched "Crash" last night, which was just released on DVD/VHS last night. My roommates and I were absolutely hooked into the plot from the moment it started. It's about the racial lines that are constantly crossed in the huge mix of people of LA. It involves at least five to six different families and story lines, but they all run together smoothly and it doesn't get confusing if you aren't interrupted. Watcher beware: it is very realistic and involves some very graphic and in-your-face footage and language. The only consolation to this is the film makers took a wonderful script and shot the movie with intelligence and true awareness of what really happens in the real world. Five stars from me!! Not a family movie- it's rated R.

"We can do no great things; only small things with great love."
-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  12:35:01 AM  Show Profile
I envy you, Cat. i would love to visit the Ghibli Museum. Thank you for babbling on. What a place!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  8:58:24 PM  Show Profile
In another topic Eileen wrote:I love Andy Goldsworthy!! We just found a copy of the film "Rivers and Tides" on dvd at our library. I saw it when it was in our local theater and loved it. The dvd will become one of our own library as it is wonderful. Anyone who loves nature will love this film.

I was able to get this from our library, too. Just finished it. I had seen bits of it previously on PBS. What incredible art work with nature, much of it given back to nature with the tides or seasons. Incredibly beautiful videotography as well. I think MJ would really like this... fits right in with her ideas. I am particularly taken with the winding stone walls. I love stone walls, but his are exceptional. Worth a look if you enjoy nature, quietness, artistic skill, intuition and so much more.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 10 2005 8:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  12:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
A favorite of mine is Love Comes Softly - yes, yes, I'm a Little House On The Prairie fan, LOL.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:36:34 PM  Show Profile
I love that one too..and the sequel..Loves enduring promise I think it was called. Even my husband liked them.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  8:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I haven't seen that one yet...I'll put that one on my list to rent soon!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Old movies I love - Magnificent Obsession/All That Heaven Allows - practically the same movie, but I like ..Heaven better. The Philadelphia Story with Jimmy Stewart and Katharine Hepburn. We imitate her laugh around here. Glenn Miller Story, a New Year's Eve tradition. The Best Years of our Lives, Since You Went Away, The Egg and I. Many others I'm sure I'm forgetting -
New movies I love - Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson; Under the Tuscan Sun; Out of Africa; You've Got Mail - that's one we quote alot. The American President; The Four Seasons with Alan Alda; Remains of the Day; Howard's End; Gosford Park. These are the ones I watch over and over.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  2:46:49 PM  Show Profile
KJD
I too love Magnificent Obession and All That Heaven Allows!! We have the same taste in new ones as well!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  3:49:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if it's because we're both from Tacoma or what, but you listed about 80% of my favorite movies!! Wasn't Finding Neverland wonderful? Benny and Joon, What About Bob, Fried Green Tomatoes... all classics with me. And yes, A Christmas Story is the #1 movie for Christmas at my house!!

quote:
Originally posted by AuntieJen

I went to a movie alone once, during a really hard time in my life. It was a great escape.
I love "Fried Green Tomatoes", "What About Bob", "Signs", "Benny and Joon", the Harry Potter movies....so many more..."Finding Neverland" is wonderful. Any special movies you save for the holidays? "Christmas Vacation", "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Christmas Story" (one of the best, funniest movies ever, in my opinion)every year. "You'll shoot your eye out!"

-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  7:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Holy geeze, Crash was an intense movie. The style reminded me of Love, Actually, but dark. Very dark. Great performances. I’m glad there were some redemptions. What a mess. I enjoyed Matt Dillon rescuing his assault victem. I loved the relationship of the father and daughter, and cursed the director when he let us think the worst. The rat.

Andy Goldsworthy is a perfect antidote. Rivers and Tides is a movie that stirs great faith in humanity.
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Bless your little heart goalieboy. Crash, I also heard it was a strong movie. Glad you made it through. Not much movie watching on my end this week, but will catch up soon.

I'm still holding out for you to review "Return to Me"

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  8:38:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad that there are other people that watched Crash. I wasn't sure what the general concensus would be about the movie. Intense is a great word for it.
I agree, Return to Me is one of the greatest movies. It's a must see for anyone who hasn't seen it.

-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  04:11:23 AM  Show Profile
We just watched The Opera Lover, an independent flick out on dvd. Kind of a quirky romantic comedy, filmed in Chicago (that's a big plus for me!, since we live right here next to the city). I loved it. And husband enjoyed it, too. (Return to Me was also filmed in Chicago -- very enjoyable film. I loved Carroll O'Connor in that one.) Goalieboy, I need to see that Andy Goldsworthy film. He was to construct an ice thing at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art a couple of winters ago, but we had a warm winter and the thing was cancelled. Bummer. I am a big fan of AG through his books. Need to see the film. Thanks for reminding me.
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  10:58:01 AM  Show Profile
How can i review Return to Me if i never watch it? Is it really that great, Ms Julie and Ms Cowgrrl? I just have trouble with heart transplants. I think they're great but i never want to think about them. Ever. So please forgive me for letting it collect dust on my shelf. I will return it to you, someday. Mebe i'll get drunk and watch it before then. Wait, i don't drink. Holy Geeze.

Yaknow, Blue Egg Babe has everybody here muttering that, "Holy Geeze." It's all over the farm. But i think Ms Babe is mad at me too, 'cause i told her that her beloved Philadelphia Flyers have always been the bad guys in my book.

Holy geeze, Flyers and Heart Surgery, do i have to give up all my scruples?

Go to Top of Page

The Pinup Cowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Holly
Tacoma WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile
The heart transplant is about .01% of the movie, so fast forward through that part. The whole movie is filled with great one-liners that my fam quotes all the time. Plus, it's got a really great cast and plot. I know a few guys who say it's their fav movie, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

-Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Holy Geeze, goalieboy.......(are you saying it with a Canadian accent like we do??)I musta glazed over that Flyers rant somehow.
No worries,I am not as much of a NHL fan as I am a junior level fan, anyway.Big Paychecks=Big Egos=Big Yawn for me....just play, I say!
By the By, I sent an independent film DVD to the farm today for all to peruse.It's a documentary about the last(known)encampment Grange Fair right here in PA. The filming follows several farm families in the months leading up to the Fair (Raising animals and crops to enter judging, packing for the 10 day encampment in walled tents,multi-generational families, etc.)
It was filmed locally and shown here on our PBS station.Not sure if it made it out nationally or not.
It surely is a gem. Maybe some ideas and fuel for the MJF "thriller",eh?

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 19 2005 1:36:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  1:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Plus Bonnie Hunt and her writing partner Don Lake's sense of humor is SO wonderful (Don Lake is the hair transplant guy in a cameo).Carroll O"Connor shines in one of the most diverse character roles of his career (we miss you Carroll) and Minnie Driver is darling. The whole basis of the story, does the soul have a home in the heart and can a little of that live on, merits watching it.

And, Holy Geeze, have you all watched Mystery, Alaska too many times or what?

I say "Go Bears!"

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Sep 19 2005 1:40:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile
BlueEggBabe, that sounds like a most interesting documentary. I found their web site, for others who may also be interested:
http://wpsx.org/grangefair/

and the link if you'd like to order the dvd:
http://soar.ois.psu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SOAR.woa/wo/11.0.5.3.1.12.1.22.1

I'm gonna have to check it out... I love this kind of stuff!
Thanks.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 19 2005 2:04:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  2:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Clare,
Thanks so much for posting that link.I wasn't even aware that there was a website because I called the university directly.
I had checked amazon and it wasn't available there.
This documentary made me laugh and cry the whole way through it. There is one woman who is in her 70's or 80's and has camped at the fair every single summer of her entire life...since she was 4 months old!
Aunt Jenny, there is another woman who may rival your efforts for canning the most fruits, veggies and preserves for judging.
Her entries are simply astounding!You can't help but smile at her spunk.
Anyway, I won't ruin it for you...but anyone who is fortunate enough to still have a local agricultural fair close by will surely enjoy this movie.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  3:13:59 PM  Show Profile
ok, ok, ok. I'll watch it. Am i hen pecked or what?

Thanks, way, Ms Babe. This looks like a wonderful documentary and will be a great resource for the farm.

Do they say "Holy Geeze" in Mystery Alaska?

Edited by - goalieboy on Sep 20 2005 12:06:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  3:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sue for telling us about this movie, and Clare for posting the link. This looks like a great one to watch on a crisp Autumn evening sipping apple cider and munching pop corn. I love these kind of documentaries. Has anyone ever seen the French documentary called "The Gleaners"? About people who glean fields and closed markets and trash for food to live on and tossed out junk and furniture recycled for their homes. It is an accepted and expected thing in France for gleaners to come and take the cast offs. Very interesting movie.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
That grange fair one sounds so good! I will have to check that out! thanks!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  03:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Not sure exactly where the "holy geeze" comes from.......but it's not Mystery, Alaska. The regional phrase from that movie is "God's sakes".
There are a few other colorful expressions from Mystery that are best not expressed here!
It may be from the Hanson Brothers in Slapshot(haven't seen that in a long time) or it might have been something we picked up when we were in Toronto visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame. Wait, could it possibly be a Herb Brooks-ism??

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  07:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey! Glad to know I'm not the only one who saw Grange Fair and loved it! I posted a comment about it a few weeks ago and no one replied so I thought maybe it just appealed to me. Wasn't that woman amazing? She was so sad when she thought she would miss her 80th year, I'm glad she got to go! The canning woman seemed to me a bit obsessed, but that seemed to be her profession (avocation?)and she certainly did it well! Susan, you and I probably have the same PBS (WHYY or WYBE) , I'm not sure which I saw it on, but I missed the very beginning and would like to see it again. Thanks for the links!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  08:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Bramble,
I missed that post of yours.
WHYY it is.
Cool, we are neighbors in a broad sort of way!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page