Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:27:00 PM  Show Profile
I thought of another one...."Connager" with Sam Elliot! Anything with Sam Elliot actually..haha..but only him as a cowboy!
I will have to try going to the movies alone. My husband and I have very very different taste in movies too. I am sooooo due to see something I picked myself. Last movie I saw was "the Fantasic Four"..the kids and hubby picked that and we saw it at the drive in. The popcorn was good.(enough said??)

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Just saw "The Brothers Grimm" yesterday. If you don't like Terry Gilliam films (12 Monkeys, Fisherking, Time Bandits, Brazil) DON'T see this movie. I thought it was pretty good, but my two friends quickly fled the theatre once it finished and not a single word was spoken about it. Ah well...

Holiday flicks, eh? It's become tradition in our household that on Christmas Eve we watch the old black and white "A Christmas Carol" starring Alistair Sims. We all think that's the best one. I also have to watch, Nightmare before Christmas... Or was that a flick for Halloween? It works for both.
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  7:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Erik wrote: Then there's Kiki's Delivery Service. The kindest, sanest movie ever made. Don't let the fact that it's animated turn you off. Miyazaki captures character nuance and motion, especially flying like no one else. Like Gene, he's intensly interested in JOY.

This movie arrived from the library over the weekend. I just finished watching it. What an enchanting movie! Incredible, really!!!! And a charming story. It had me in the intro. Wonderful for all ages... and poignant life lesson reminders too. Thank you for recommending this movie, Erik.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

A couple of my all time favorites is THE QUIET MAN with John Wayne.
I think it was made in 1952 or 1954, CHARADE with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

OOOH Karen, I love those! As a matter of fact I own Charade. We start a farmgirl group here in the Chippewa Valley and have a movie night!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:10:37 PM  Show Profile
"The Shop Around the Corner". I'm not sure when this was made, in the 1930s I think, staring Jimmy Stewart. Its the movie that "You've Got Mail" was loosely based on. I think there were a couple of remakes over the years, but the black and white original is the best. A Christmastime movie!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Jana, TCM was airing Jimmy Stewart movies a couple weekends ago and I saw The Shop Around the Corner. Very nice movie. I've also rented the Van Johnson/Judy Garland version. It was also good, a musical version. And Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan just have some cool chemistry, don't they?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 30 2005 12:21:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, Kiki. I'm so glad you got to see it. There are more things to be cholked up about in that movie than any other. Whether it's that long hug with her dad after he spins her around the room... or, how about when she flew off for her apprenticeship/adventure on her mother's broom and bonked several of the trees that had bells in them and one of her neighbors says, "I'm going to miss the sound of those bells..." Or, the one that really gets me is how she's often glum about having to wear her witches "uniform", a plain purple dress (remember when she looks so longingly at the pretty shoes in the window?), and then, during the end credits, a young girl walks by the bakery where Kiki is sitting behind the counter, daydreaming, and the little girl is wearing a Kiki Costume! Because she's such a hero! Oh my, that one gets to me somehow...

oops, gtg. There's stuff to do, but i want to come back later and put in my 2¢ about "The Shop Around the Corner" & "Howl's Moving Castle"

Edited by - goalieboy on Aug 30 2005 2:47:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Erik, all those things. I cried during the introduction, for goodness sakes. Need I say more? I'm going to buy this movie for my grandaughter. I think I could watch it over and over again. One of the things I noticed in the caracature (sp) of the people is the roundness of their faces and bodies. It just made them totally lovable and endearing, didn't it? Too bad I had to return it today. Oh well, another reason to buy it.
I'll be interested in your other perspectives of it too, Erik.

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, for goodness sakes,Clare! I'm so glad you loved it! I know lots of peeps who think it's boring, but i can't imagine how. The flying alone is enough imagination fodder for a whole years worth of dreams.

The same director has a movie in theater's called "Howl's Moving Castle" that my son and i watched last weekend. One of the reason's i like Miyazaki's movies is because his protaginist's are so unusual, and, usually female. In Howl's the main character is a girl who is under a spell that has changed her into an old woman and she can't talk about it to anyone. She has to figure it out by herself. It's a great little girl meets boy movie, too, in fact, my son, who is a real Miyazaki fan, thought it was way too mushy for him, but i loved it. Miyazaki has a half-dozen other movies, some of them environmental and anti-war statements that can get pretty intense, but Kiki is by far my favorite because of its endearing humanity. All the little, subtle things he captures perfectly. I think it's interesting too, that the US distributors consider his movies such a gems that they very lovingly reanimate the lip synchs and cast great actors in the parts for the dubbed version. I actually prefer the dubbed versions. Another very thoroughly kind movie by him is "My Neighbor Totoro" It's geared toward young children but it's a real treat to me. Your grandkids might really enjoy it.

I saw the movie mentioned in an earlier post, "The Shop Around the Corner" a week or so ago. I don't get TCM but i was at a friend's who gets it and we watched it. I liked it quite a bit. So unusual to place it in Hungary. Quirky character's, too. Jimmy Stewart was great. He's quite the talent.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile
TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is one of the few channels on my basic cable package that I really enjoy. There'll be weekends with just one actor's movies, so if you're not already familiar, it's a good learning experience and if you're already a fan, you're in heaven! Now if they'd just get rid of those 3 shopping channels and a couple of those others, and replace them with something of quality, I'd be happy!

Speaking of good old movies, my very own copies of Summer Stock and an American in Paris arrived last night. I feel a movie binge comin' on. Can't wait to see that scene that you described, Erik. I feels some howling laughter comin' on already!

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile
LOL. Break out the popcorn and the big pillows, i think Clare's in store for a good old-fashioned Swoon-a-thon. Now that you know the routine, Ms Clare, i expect you to be all prepared when we begin rehersal's in the spring!

I think Summer Stock is a bit odd in that the routines leading up to the show in the barn are incredible, but the show itself is pretty awful. Well, 'cept for the Heavenly Music number. Wait 'til you get a load of the color's in An American in Paris. And the sets are astounding. I think my favorite parts are the I Got Rythem number when he dances with all the kids and the Tra-la-la number when he dances on the piano. Or mebe it was the... *erik blithers on and on. Go on to the next post, please.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Erik, don't apologize! You're enthusiam is terrific and catching! And... what a wonderful thing to "catch". Better than a cold, fer sure!

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  10:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Clare. How was Summer Stock? Did you enjoy any of the dances? Which were your favorite? Do ya think it's a good "farm" movie?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  06:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Howdy neighbor! Well, gee, Erik-- if I'm a gonna be Gene looks like I need to learn to yodel! haha. And that's quite a mouthful of patter there, isn't it? Better get to work on that for sure! I really like that Howdy Neighbor song... maybe we could close with that as long as you sing the lead!!! I don't tap dance, but love those moves. Gene is one smooth guy... and Judy ain't so bad herself.

Actually it is very nostalgic for me to watch it as a "farm" movie. Remember the farmers with the milk cans along side the road on her drive out from town on her new tractor? We were those farmers. Great movie!

p.s. see your email.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 31 2005 08:22:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:10:52 AM  Show Profile
In these troubling times, a ray of hope for a better future is a welcome thing. A girlfriend just gave me a heads-up about this upcoming movie, named "One", with an amazing story of how and why it was produced and the quality of the people that became involved in it. Great food for thought and I intend to watch for it when it becomes available. Perhaps you'll feel the same:

http://www.onethemovie.org/

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile
"One" does look like a very interesting ride. I want to see it.

We're trying to be independent filmakers here at the farm. Just another learning curve inspired by MJ's vision. Pretty soon we'll post our experiments so you can see 'em and mebe give us some feedback. MJ shoots high, she wants something as beautiful as Seabisquit, as quiet as the moon, and as quirky and real as nothing you can find on tv. We're gonna do it. And we're gonna have milk cans. I think i can even talk Emil into dancing ; - )

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  1:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Ever notice how much "mood" can influnce how you enjoy a movie? I watched a couple movies with Carol the other night, ones that i thought i disliked, and i enjoyed them enormously, simply because my company was so delightful and i expected them to be bad. And i walked out of a movie the other night that everyone had raved about. I went by myself and had really high expectations. I thought it was awful. But what if i had watched it knowing nothing? Or with a friend who was enjoying it? Such a slippery bar being a critic.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  1:17:46 PM  Show Profile
You're right, Erik. Mood, state of mind, health, company or not all are determining factors in enjoyment levels of our activities and movie watching, too. Care to share what the good, the bad, and the ugly movies were?

Can't wait to see what y'all been working on movie/video wise for the farm. I'm sure it will be creative and beautiful, and if Emil dances, all the better!

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  9:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Goalieboy! I have to admonish you for prefering the dubs to the subtitles! Admittedly, the dubs of the Miyazaki films are better than most, but they don't translate things properly! Heck, the subtitles don't always do it either, but the original Japanese emphasis and acting can't be beat! I've had to watch American movies dubbed into Japanese: not always good. I think it's just easier for people to hear their language spoken in a movie, and not have to worry about reading subtitles. I know my Mom is like that.

Anyway, Miyazaki is great. Please give the subtitles another try!

Cat

PS. I have to admit, listening to the dubs can be amusing since they are done by some great actors like Patrick Stewart, and Michael Keaton. I also enjoyed Carey Elwes and Mark Hamill doing villian voices.

PPS. My favourite Miyazaki film is My Neighbour Totoro. You should see my car, it's FULL of little guys from that movie! Plus, I've got a JiJi and a squirrel-fox!
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:04:15 PM  Show Profile
No, Ms Clare, i'm going to keep the Bad and Ugly to myself. But, the good one that kept me laughing all the way through was the Coen Brother's movie, Intolerable Cruelty. Some here at the farm thought it was stupid. I liked it alot.

Edited by - goalieboy on Sep 07 2005 11:06:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:05:48 PM  Show Profile
I am defiant, Ms Cat. Usually i agree with you, i truly dislike dubbed. But in the Miyazaki translations i love the japanese AND english versions. Mebe i shouldn't have said one was better, but i really do enjoy the english version's more. Perhaps i'm just lazy, too crosseyed to read. Or mebe it's my ADD, since i am always compelled to read anything that crosses a page and then lose focus on the visuals. I love that i can watch foreign language movies and get clued in by reading subtitles but sometimes it wears on me, too. Occationally i'll even turn the subtitles off and just listen to exotic voices bantering back and forth. I did that with Amelie awhile ago, just to melt, unencumbered by language, into it's color palette and quirky characters.

I love Totoro, it's my second favorite of M's stuff.

So glad to hear you have so many safety cushions in your cat bus.

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:31:24 PM  Show Profile
You should see my lil' cat bus. He sits on my arm rest. You pull its tail, and it vibrates....

Cat

PS. Sorta related... A few years ago, I was lucky enough to go to Japan. In Tokyo, I stayed with an old friend, and on my second last day there, I was lucky enough to go to the Studio Ghibli Museum in Mitaka (just outside of Tokyo). Took 3 trains to get there! The place was tiny, but packed FULL of stuff. I stayed there for 4-5 hours! There is a giant TOTORO to greet you at the entrance. On the roof there is a full scale sized model of the robot from Laputa with plants growing in it! There is a giant stuffed catbus for kids to play on. The windows all had stain-glass with scenes from the movies. The ceilings were hand painted in amazing landscapes. On the first floor they had an explanation of animation in general. On the second floor was a recreation of Miyazaki's studio and they showed how they animated Studio Ghibli films. When I was there, there was a special exhibit about Castle in the Sky. I could babble on and on about this museum! I walked into that place, and cried. It was beyond wonderful...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  01:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Okay kids, I've added Totoro to my list. After Kiki, this is a very easy sell for me!

Erik, I'm with you on foreign language films. Some that I've watched that were subtitled were easy to ready and WATCH, all depending on the quality of the subtitles, ie, color and backround. Others I could either read, or watch, but jeepers just could not do both. Drove me nuts... Or, some where you just can't read fast enough...(and I'm a fast reader!)... And, jokes on me it seems... my kids gave me an extra dvd player. It has no operating manual... geez, I can figure things out ok with a manual but without it is a hit and miss thing. I watched one foreign language movie in Mongolian, that Eileen had recommended, about 2 times before I figured out which button to push when to get the English subtitle at the bottom. I had French and Spanish and Dutch options too! Good Grief. I agree, sometimes you really don't need to understand all the words to meld into what is being said and protrayed and to soak up the scenics. Melding and absorbing, yep... those movies can be wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  04:36:48 AM  Show Profile
The other night, late, I was clicking around on the TV and came across a silent movie! Greta Garbo. I was hooked. I watched it for a long time, and the scenery, expressions, clothes, even the different body language of the time just enthralled me. I can see why the "silents" were so engrossing.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  05:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean JP! The silents are fascinating! I watched a Mary Pickford movie this summer called "My Best Girl" and it was wonderful. I was transfixed!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page