True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,
I forgot to mention "the commitments"....we do own that one too but
I have to be in the mood for all that cursing! Good movie though.
My hubby has been in several garage bands so he really enjoys it.
I can't believe I haven't heard of "Into the West"!! I thought I had every one! Must go check out Amazon and add it to my collection.
I also forgot to mention earlier........
Anybody a fan of the clay-mation comedy "Chicken Run"? If you have chickens, it is a must see.
Its a joke here when I say, "I think it's time for Chicken Run!!"
and everyone groans "NOT YET, Mom!!!!We just watched it!"

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Sue-- We actually wore out a copy of Chicken Run so yes it was a hit here too! So were all the Wallace and Grommett by the same people.
Almost forgot that! Anyone fall in love with "The Snowman"? The narrator talks at the very beginning and very end and the rest is an animated story with music. It was magical and my son couldn't stop watching it one year. A wintertime favorite!

I had forgotten the language in The Commitments, just remembered it was great music, we laughed alot and you left feeling very up after the movie. Not for the kids, I will add!

I got the Anne of Green Gables series one year for my birthday and I loved it, but my husband thought I'd lost it! My taste in movies, books and music is very eclectic to say the least!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  3:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Please forgive me, girls...
I don't have TV reception at all( and won't pay cable fees!) so I ONLY watch movies...
just two more:
Documentaries:Joni Mitchell: A Life Story -Woman of Heart and Mind
Oh my Gosh, What a life and career this woman has had. It is so beautifully filmed and you can just imagine the incredible soundtrack.Stories about songs, relationships and the baby daughter she gave up for adoption and then found again many years later just complete the film.Whoever put this together was a genious.It is definitely in my top 10.
and another documentary: Winged Migration (Academy Award Nominee
2002)Five film crews document all sorts of bird migrations ( along side!) through 40 countries and all 7 continents. Breathtaking!
The kids love this one.
That's all for today!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  4:25:00 PM  Show Profile
We are big Chicken Run fans here too...and I just love Babe too. My husband can hardly stand that one but the kids and I have nearly watched our copy to death. The kids like the Babe, Pig in the City one even better, but I like the first one. I think about my critter's personalities and voices..how they would be...it is just fun.
I love that sweet Snowman movie too..so cute and dear. When we all get to discussing Christmas movies my favorites are "Its a wonderful like" (of course) and " A Christmas story". Have any of you seen " A Summer Story"? Same little boy,as the Christmas one, but different parents...same neighborhood and all..cute! I need to rent it again. It is just cute. I love that era. Love seeing how their kitchen looks and all and the clothes and everything about it.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  9:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- I never thought to mention the "Babe " movies but they were sweet. One of the lines from the movie is one we all use when enough is enough..."That'll do pig, that'll do..."And yes , some people think we are nuts!
Sue-- I LOVE Joni Mitchell, I will have to look for that one. And your mention of the bird migration reminded me of "Fly Away Home" which was a big hit as we have always had Canadian geese"guests"
lodging in the most unusual places here! This movie really hit home as I had to walk a flock of 23 assorted geese and goslings down our street to the lake, waving off cars as we went down the center of the road for almost two weeks. Neighbors started calling me from nearest the lake to tell me my "children" were on their way home for the night. Eventually we put up road block sawhorses, but it was crazy. Why they had to come "home" each night still escapes me!Maybe they needed time to "feather "their nests! Atleast I didn't have to build a big bird plane and go to Canada!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have to say that you are all women of extraordinary taste! You've listed most of my favorite movies. Funny Farm is a hoot. I'm from Massachusetts originally and know people like that! You've Got Mail is the "sick little girl" movie at our house as well as Truly, Madly, Deeply. My favorite? Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House with Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Walter Pidgeon. Hilarious. I have set a goal to watch all 3 LOTR movies on the next rainy day when I have nothing to do. I may never achieve that goal. Until then, life will be suspended for 90 minutes at a time!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I overlooked it because I just now "ran" into this topic and tried to read back. But, has anybody ever seen "Moll Flanders"? If not, you just have to!
For me, Moll Flanders is my #2 favorite. #1 is How to make an American Quilt, which is also the only DVD I personally OWN. I had to buy it, because it is my total works-all-the-time pick-me-up when I don't feel well (emotionally). It is also the reason why I started to learn how to quilt!
#3 is probably Steel Magnolias....
Then there is Monsters Ball, which I totally hated when I first saw it. Afterwards, it wouldn't leave my mind and I thought: I have to see it again. I did and at some point a "light" went on in my head. I just understud what it was about. And I loved it. Those two people sitting on the steps of the backdoor eating icecream....just watch it.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile
I too like "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle" (in French with English subtitles) and I don't know any French at all.
I also love "A Room With A View" and "Howard's End"
And I love the A&E Jane Austin movie "Pride and Prejudice"
One of my favorite funny movies is "Big Business" with Lily Tomlin and Bette Midler.
I appreciate this topic, it gives me some good ideas!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Here are some of my favourite movies in no particular order:
Roman Holiday: Gregory Peck was sooo good looking!
The Princess Bride: "My name is Inigo Montoya... You killed my father... Prepare to die!"
The Dark Crystal: Pure Jim Henson brilliance!
Microcosmos: A documentary about insects. Watch it and you too will root for the dung beetle.
Truly, Madly, Deeply: It's been a long time favourite. Alan Rickman rules!
Nightmare Before Christmas: Oh, the lovely, twisted mind of Tim Burton!
Spirited Away: A fantastic animated film by the master Hayao Miyazaki.
Sean of the Dead: A fun/serious/scary zombie movie.
Finding Neverland: It was really good... I cried.
The English Patient: Movie was good, the book was better. Naveen Andrews is beautiful! And the brooding Ralph Fiennes...

Pretty eclectic, huh?

Cat
Go to Top of Page

rebecca
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Rebecca
Boulder Junction Wisconsin
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  03:15:02 AM  Show Profile
I love the Quiet Man! My father in law turned me on to it years ago. I love to quote that film especially Mikeline O'Flynn. Everyone should watch the Quiet Man on St. Patty's day!
quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

A couple of my all time favorites is THE QUIET MAN with John Wayne.
I think it was made in 1952 or 1954, CHARADE with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Rebecca of RebeccaJoysFarm
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  2:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Singin' in the Rain/An American in Paris/Summerstock are all one big favorite movie. There's nobody else like Gene Kelly. As a dancer/choreographer/director and rebel he shines brighter than anyone. On top of that i've never seen joy expressed so empatheticially by a person. He's the Dalai Lama of Dance.

Then there's Kiki's Delivery Service. The kindest, sanest movie ever made. Don't let the fact that it's animated turn you off. Miyazaki captures character nuance and motion, especially flying like no one else. Like Gene, he's intensly interested in JOY.

Amalie. Fight Club. Spiderman. These last two indulge my testosterone.

Any standup comedy by Eddie Izzard, but especially "Glorious" He is as quick and silly as Robin Williams but without the dirty mind, although he does have a few cussword catchphrases that are delivered with a real twinkle. The shows are long and insightful and, as Carols says, "He's nuts!"

I've enjoyed reading all the recommendations ya'll have made and am compiling a list. I think we're indeed fortunate to live in a universe where there are so many stories floating around, ready to be lived.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you seen the wonderful Hollywood bomb about vicious produce called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!"? So appropriate this time of year.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:09:17 PM  Show Profile
I got a brand new unopened Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House the other day at a yard sale for $1.00! Were they having an out of body experience? I don't know but I snapped it up and we had friends in for "Dessert Night" and we all watched it. The kids even liked it (theey have been living with renovation for over a year, so they definitely got it!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:00:32 AM  Show Profile
wow 3 pages of recommendations!

If you have sons and daughters and for the child with in us all, watch “The Mighty”.

Great cast: Sharon Stone, Gena Rowlands, Harry Dean Stanton ,Gillian Anderson, James Gandolfini, Meatloaf, Kieran Culkin, Elden Henson. Makes this one of the best family films I’ve seen in the last decade.
I had to have the soundtrack too. Sting, sings the Mighty, Maia Sharp ( who wrote “home” for the Dixie chicks+writes for Raitt,TrishaYearwood http://www.maiasharp.com/main_index.html , B.B. King and Zucherro (this one is from Italy and he's got soul).

What a message: "Every word is part of a picture. Every sentence is a picture. All you do, is let your imagination connect them together. If you have an imagination that is."

"Books are like truth serum -- if you don't read, you can't figure out what's real"
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  07:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Erik,
So glad to hear someone else is a "Fight Club" fan.
I must admit, I decided against adding that one to my "farmgirly list" earlier in this thread for obvious reasons. It tain't pretty, that's for sure!
My 16 year old moved up to Junior C level hockey this past year and I have had to don my internal "mama armor" to watch him play this coming-of-age transformation game. It just keeps me from flinching too much! It is a fast,gritty,hard-hitting world that I have followed my son into and believe it or not, this movie has helped me to "get it" better and learn to let go of my little boy-man. Honestly, I have watched this movie several times just to search out and understand the dark and subtle messages contained within.
Recently,I bought a documentary DVD at a flea market about Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club, and found him to be pretty brilliant and fascinating.Seems he's got quite a cult following, as well. Some of his other books are on my "to read" list.
As a soapmaker, I also appreciated the very sick humor involved in Brad Pitt's fancy soap recipe
Thanks,Erik, for reminding me.
Training camp just started for us this week....may be time to pull it out again, along with "Mystery, Alaska" and "Slapshot" .
Had to shelve "Miracle" for awhile...must be our most-watched movie of all time.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I understand how you feel, Susan..my oldest son played rugby for a few years right after high school and I never saw so much blood. He loved it though! It was a hard thing to watch..none of mine have been in hockey yet..no leagues here.
I keep meaning to see Miracle...thanks for the reminder.
Oh...one of our favorites..."The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid..(rated G!!!!! that never happens) it is such a neat story and heck, just having Dennis Quaid to look at makes it worthwhile even if you don't like baseball (I do) I grew up in a real baseball family and three out of my 4 kids still at home are baseball obsessed for at least half the year...so it was a big hit here. I have seen THAT one alot of times!! Even my girly girl liked it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I'll second the Rookie. Dennis Quaid is just fun to watch. Plus it's a good plot.

I went through a video purchasing phase and I really should just pick a couple each weekend and go through that library and watch them all again. Tons of favs in there.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
My college age daughter recently sheepishly admitted to her hockey playing brother that she hasn't seen "Miracle" yet.
His reply : " How can you be an American and say that??!??" ha!
It is really inspiring and it is tradition to ALWAYS play it on the travel bus to every away game.
And, Kurt Russell ain't agin' too badly, himself!

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Nope...Kurt Russel and Dennis Quaid BOTH are aging juuuussssstttt fiiiinnnnneeee!
Another Dennis Quaid movie I just rented this last week when we had company was "The Flight of the Phoenix". It is a remake of a Jimmy Stewart movie..I never saw the original. It was sure good. Not the type I would have chose usually, more my husband's type of movie...but really good!
Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Aug 24 2005 08:56:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
One of my all time favorites!!!!!!!! Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!! I love old 'b' movies.

Erik, a man after my own heart! Are you single?! LOL!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Aug 24 2005 10:55:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile
We should have a farm screening of that killer tomato movie. All i remember about it is how incredibly silly it is. We over planted the new greenhouse with tomato's. It is literally a jungle in there and if there are killer tomato's, i'm sure they're lurking in there. There's probably 5 to 1 odds that emil and i will have a tomato war at some point.

Yeah, fight club. I almost didn't list it, either, for, i'm sure, the same reasons, Ms Susan. I tried to read some of Palahniuk, but just couldn't take it. But Fight Club really blew my mind and unsettled my soul. I saw it and Amelie back-to-back and they compliment each other in some very weird way. Amelie is pure heart, Fight Club is nothing but groin. Actually, i'm just blithering here, i don't know what i'm talking about.

But hockey, ladies, despite it's well earned reputation as overly testosterone driven and violent is the most blissful experience there is (well, at least with your clothes on). We put on pads that make us 10x more invulnerable, skate at superhuman speeds and take part in a mytholgical battle involving physics that are usually only available in dreams. Your heart marries your soul in the heat of the battle as you struggle for your teammates and throw yourself into the ecstacy of the game. Afterwards your bones sing with bliss so intensely that you float and glide everywhere, barely in your shoes. After a good game i am on cloud nine for at least a couple days...

Gee whiz, what was the topic again? Oh yeah, movies. I like Miracle because they finally decided it would be easier to train hockey players to act than to try and get by with actors who can't really skate, which they did in Mystery Alaska and every other hockey movie ever made. It was a bit Disney, but then again, so was the real life story. It was appropriately named and well done. I've always LOVED to watch the Russian's play because they take the game to artistic heights and never bother with fighting. They had one player, Kharlamov, who was also a gypsy dancer and would tell the Canadian press, "i love to play the game beautifully." And he did. Tough little dude, too. But when those Yankee kids beat them at their own beautiful game it was the highlight of my teenage years. Well, that and winning a state championship.

I'm glad your boy plays, Susan. It's a game he can play 'til he's really old 'cause it tends to be easy on the joints. I'm on a team with a bunch of 40-year-olds and a fella who's 65. It's the best part of our week. Plus, there's lots of grrls who play. Nothing quite as cute as a hockey chick. I guess my ideal would be a farmgrrl hockey chick who likes nerds and gives great massages. And sings.
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  12:28:55 PM  Show Profile
I think i already got myself in trouble trying to answer this one, Kim. Lets just say that flirting online is both fun and dangerous. I met a girl like that once and when she came for a visit she smoked like a chimney and was NUTS. But, i bet all the girls here are too beautiful and geniuslike to be in my league anyway.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
"".... Afterwards your bones sing with bliss so intensely that you float and glide everywhere, barely in your shoes. After a good game i am on cloud nine for at least a couple days..."

ahhh, so that is what my kid is trying to tell me...
he just describes "it", the morning after a good game (with a dreamy smile), as the "best good-feeling pain there is". I just follow along with my herbal first aid kit and ice pack and try not to wince.
Like I said, learning to wear the "mama armor".
oh, and thanks for the head's up about Chuck.
PS. Our 40-somethin' chiropractor also plays hockey and has adjusted my kid in the locker room between periods and then pushed him back out on the ice. Gotta love it.

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Gotta love it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page