Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic
Page: of 9

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  9:39:18 PM  Show Profile
I know there is somewhere an old posting on this topic but I can't seem to locate it., so here goes. Just finished watching "The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Explains It ALL" and loved it! Read the book years ago but didn't care for it as much (rare for me).You will love the scenery, time setting, the clothes (Diane Lane wears an apron that is almost identical to my favorite but the back of mine is curved not straight at the hem), and her character is a girl who learns to live just left of center the constraints set for women in her day. She's feisty, plucky, funny, compassionate and learns to turn her life into a life worth living and cherishes her days here on earth though they may not be what everyone would call ideal.Donald Sutherland, Cicely Tyson and Anne Bancroft complete this quirky but neat movie.( I got it in the $5.00 DVD bin at WalMart on my way home from camp.Money well spent!)

with a happy heart

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Bramble -- I have seen this movie and it is so good! I'll have to see if I can locate it so I can watch it again. Friday night we watched Serendipity with John Cusack -- one of my favs. But I am a sucker for romantic comedy.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile
I recently watched The Women, starring Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Norma Shearer, and about a million great character actresses too. In fact, there's not a single male in the entire movie. It was really good, if slightly scary (the ladies can be frightfully catty & two-dimensional). I really liked it, and it was a nice look at how far we've come since 1939.

I really love movies from that era, and am always up for new suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile
A couple of my all time favorites is THE QUIET MAN with John Wayne.
I think it was made in 1952 or 1954, CHARADE with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather! That is one of my favorite movies too!!! I love anything with Joan Crawford and Doris Day too.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  3:23:29 PM  Show Profile
:D Isn't Joan Crawford the best? She can be the most evil wench...on the other hand, have you seen What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? It's REALLY good, if creepy as all get out, and Joan Crawford succeeds in being sweet & likeable. Heh. I also really loved Mildred Pierce, and a couple others I can't think of the names of. Bette Davis is another really good flaming wench, too...she's in Baby Jane as well, and gives an amazing performance. Also very good in All About Eve...
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Right now my favorite movies are Chocolat and Amilie. Amilie is french movie, it is such a magical movie. I love magical movie especially love stories like Chocolat. i know I have a few others, i have to think about it.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  4:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Amilie was GREAT! I love David the Nome- they used the idea of sending him traveling places on commercials for some travel.com site. I always, of course think of Amilie, and what a wonderful gift she gave to her father.
We should all have a little Amilie's curiosity and love of human nature in us!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I loved Chocolat! I'm also an admitted fan of the LOTR movies, especially since I had such a difficult time getting into the novels (also unusual for me). I must say that as far as lighter movies go, I do enjoy watching French Kiss (Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline).
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Has anyone seen "The Village"? It's my new favorite.
I also love anything with strong women characters, and farm life or prarie life..."How to make an American Quilt" is an all time favorite, Sarah Plain and Tall, Oh Pioneers, and yes I was and am a devoted Little House watcher too. Of course!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  04:02:27 AM  Show Profile
My favorite isn't about strong women or history or anything intellectual. I absolutely love Funny Farm with Chevy Chase. I'm a writer. A couple leaves the city to move to an adorable country home in Vermont so that he can write that novel he's always had in head. It's a comedy of errors from the start. The mailman is insane (Clare, he has an old truck!). There's a body buried in the flower garden. It's mindless comedy that tickles me!

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile
I am afraid I have a theme running through here..........
My favorite "comfort food" movies are "Waking Ned Devine"
and "The Secret of Roan Inish" set in rural villages in Ireland.
I love immersing in the simple life set in the thatch roof homes with a peat fire in the kitchen...with some strong black tea, seaweed soup in a cast iron pot and a chicken to pluck on the table!
Another is an old John Wayne movie set in Ireland with Maureen O'Hara called "The Quiet Man". Maureen O'Hara is a so proud of her sheep and her dowry of linens and dishes and a piano...all the happy things that a woman aquires while she waits for her "cowboy" to appear.She is so fiesty and strong. I LOVE that movie. It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.
Oh, another Irish movie we love is "War of the Buttons". It's about the life of rural village farm kids during the 40's-50's(?)when kids still were safe to run together through the countryside without fear of getting lost or snatched up by a stranger.
You might have to search for these a bit but they are well worth the effort.We make a marathon on and around St. Patrick's Day but I always pull one out when I am blue or under the weather.

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  07:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Out of Africa...hands down. I love it when Meryl Streep freaks when she is arriving on the train in Kenya and sees the natives running on top of her car and says to Robert Redford... " OH, my china and crystal... MY LIMOGE!!!" And he calmly looks up at her and replies, " They did not know it was Limoge"... and she keeps a little screech owl on her vanity table that was a gift from her Makuyu serving boy.

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  07:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Funny Farm is a favorite of mine too. We bought the video a long time ago and I can't resist watching that one now and then.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile
I guess im really showing my age and my weirdness but I am a dye hard DORIS DAY movie nut. I know it has nothing to do with anything farm but I love her and her movies. I think I mostly love the innocence of her movies. I must have most of them. The other movie I really like is South Pacific, the original. I love musicals. I went with my mom and I'll never forget it. Was one of my favorite moments in life. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Okay, I love "Funny Farm" too...read the book, it almost funnier! and that line in "Out of Africa" is one we repeat ALL the time. Our family just lives for movies and we use their lines daily...does anyone else do this? It drives our friends crazy, cause we all know what the other one is talking about but no one else does. How about "What about Bob"...the gold fish in the canning jar around his neck is just priceless.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:16:58 PM  Show Profile
I actually read the book before I ever saw the movie..you are right..the book IS even funnier...seems like it is always that way,huh?
My kids quote movie lines constantly and I don't always even know which line it is from what character from what movie. My husband does it too.
Seven Brides for Seven brothers is one of old favorites too...love those clothes and just the whole thing..cute movie....one I watch when my eye rolling husband is busy..musicals are not his thing. Of course army movies and like that are not MY thing..so it works out.
I loved "Last of the DogMen too" that was a good one.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My three girls when they were little loved "Seven Brides", they would take turns deciding which character they would be and act it out..that and "Meet me in St. Louis". They were and are a bunch of characters, God love them!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  06:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we drive people crazy with the line from a movie Julia Roberts did about horses it's called "Something to talk about" the granmother said to her daughter when she got upset seeing her husband ride (he was handsome) she would say, "it's just a man on a horse babygirl, just a man on a horse". We say that when we or other people get upset or flustered if not too serious. It's fun. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile
I see I am, in good company here, I love many of the classics listed here... Out of Africa, Casablanca-mmmm, Green fried Tomatoes, Forest Gump is classic to me and I love Whale Rider! But my favorites are the funny the quirky the unusual/odd films here is my list:

FUNNY- The Gods must be crazy - Princess Bride- Amelie- What about Bob- Funny Farm- Huckabees- Chocolat.

ODD- The red Balloon- The fifth Monkey- Broken English

UNUSUAL- Box of Moonlite- Stealing Beauty- Before Sunrise- Smoke Signals- Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon (The chinese version is more authentic and I dont mind reading the text. )

I'm looking for these Sundace films suppose to be good, but I haven't found them yet, have any of you seen-- Zacharia farted - Three Seasons- or Kikujiro (This last one maybe isn't sundance)

3 cheers for a variety of movies -except maybe horror or serious violence or ????

The oldest living confederate widow explains it all- has been add to my gotta get list, thank you Bramble.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile
You are most welcome Kathy! I LOVED Smoke Signals! My neighbor who grew up in Flagstaff came over with it one day and said you have to watch this it is the funniest movie I have seen in a long time! We invited him to join us that night and it was interesting to hear him explain some of the cultural "things" that we didn't know. But it was the best "Most Unlikely Buddy" movie I have seen in a while. I still smile when I think of it. When it ended you wanted more, you just wanted to see those characters in another story not too far down the road.
Watched "Tea with Mussolini" not too long ago and liked it alot more than I expected. All those english "Dames" and Cher to boot. Seems an odd combo, but it worked! I'm still looking for "Lavender Ladies", the soundtrack is awesome!

Susan-- I am a big fan of Irish movies too and love the ones you've mentioned.Add "The Commitments" and have you ever seen "Into The West" w/ Gabriel Byrne (hubba hubba) and these 2 adorable little boys that kidnap a horse? It is the best! I rented this movie and watched it with my son at just the right age, he loved it too!We ended up buying it because it was always the movie he wanted to rent!

Out of Africa will probably always be my favorite for so many reasons!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 05 2005 1:49:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jaime
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Indiana
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  12:16:23 PM  Show Profile
To Kill A Mockingbird has to be one of my all-time favorites. Gregory Peck is so good in it! I also like any movie that has Jimmy Stewart. Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window with Stewart and Grace Kelly in it was really good.
I also love the Anne of Green Gables movies (and the books!)

The Village and Waking Ned Devine were both mentioned, they're both becoming new favorites as well.

-Jaime
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh....Fried Green Tomatoes and Something to Talk About are two of absolute favorites too!! And of course Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Avonlea too!) Gone with the Wind is irresistable to me too. Sounds like we all have alot of the same favorites!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile
This is a way off the mainstream movie, but worth it if you can rent it: Map of the Human Heart. It's set in the Arctic and really is a beautiful love story! It's the only movie I enjoy seeing over and over...

Fern
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:00:54 AM  Show Profile
This is great we are always looking for recomendations. We rent a lot of movies, it's our favorite time, get it bed with some tea or warm spiced milk and snuggle up together and watch a good movie. Thanks girls I now have some new ideas of what to rent.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  12:01:02 PM  Show Profile
I'll try to limit myself to just a few:
Philadelphia Story
Sarah, Plain and Tall and the sequel Skylark
Stagedoor
Shall We Dance? (the Astaire & Rogers film)
His Girl Friday
A Little Princess (the Amy Ephron version)
64 Charring Cross Road

Okay. That's enough for now.

Edited by - lurban on Aug 30 2005 1:24:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Movies we love..old and new! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page