Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 High Cholestorol / High Blood Pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Cholestorol / High Blood Pressure Next Topic
Page: of 3

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:14:53 AM  Show Profile
I am overweight and by quite a bit. My school did a free Cholestorol screening today and mine was "borderline high". My blood pressure was also quite high. I have wanted to make SERIOUS changes for a long time but have hemmed and hawed about it. I NEED to do something NOW! I am wondering if any of you have dealt with this and what kind of suggestions you would make to help lower this. I need to lose between 50 and 60 pounds! I can't do this alone. Can you ladies help me out!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

If you can afford it- Ediets.com is really great. I have used them in the past and just resigned up. They create menus for you and a shopping list after figuring out what diet you should be on. They also have an exercise plan that will help as well. It takes into account your current physical condition and BMI and such so it is customized to you.

One thing I do know about cholestorol and high blood pressure is that you should be eating as much whole grains and oatmeal as possible, as well as the clarifying fruits and veggies and trying to have as little processed sugar and sodium in your diet as possible.

I have been watching a show on the BBC called "You are What you Eat" and in 8 weeks they help people change their eatting and exercise styles. I have seen them take people in true crisis and they have lost amazing amounts of weight and helped their bodies so much.

Julie- I need to lose 30-40 lbs so we can be weight loss buddies togeher, okay?

Oh yes, and since so many toxins get built up in our fat stores, we should drink extra water. We should certainly drink the 8 cups a day- but probably closer to 10 or 12 a day as we lose weight.

*hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  11:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Alee I would LOVE to be buddies with you! I'll email you when I get home from work tonight!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  5:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie, I take medication for my blood pressure. (one of the things I got from my Mom) The one thing I really have to watch is my sodium intake. When I started reading labels I was really surprised at how much sodium is in food. Diet food can really be bad. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegies. Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile
I also have high blood pressure (runs in the family) and high cholesterol. I am on medication for that, and hope to get off them as soon as possible.
I am also diabetic (I got this triple whammy diagnois one afternoon. I sat in my car and cried.)

I have really cut down on salting foods, and it is amazing how much you don't miss it, and now that it is gone for the most part, how salty some foods are and I never noticed.
I eat a salad with lunch and dinner, plus whatever veggie I am making for the kiddies. I usually put a dab of dressing on, because I am not a huge dressing fan, but do love Full Circles Organic French dressing for flavor.

We switched over to whole grains last year and my cholesterol was lower at my appointment than my previous test five years ago, but still way too high.

I do have to watch the "low salt" stuff, because what they take away in salt, they add in sugar. So, I usually just skip it or use the real stuff (i.e soy sauce, real salt etc)but less of it.
One of my down falls is Diet Coke. LOTS of sodium in that. But I love the stuff. Trying to wean myself off and drink more water. Hard to do when you burn the candle at both ends some days and need a bump in caffine. I am trying different teas that are naturally caffinated, but not full of other crap like pop is. I haven't found one I like, but the tea drinkers at work are loving the "samples" I am bringing in.
One thing in my favor is I love veggies, and they are basically free on my goofy food plan/pyramid thing.

Watching my carbs like a good diabetic and being a little more active I have lost about fourteen pounds since July 20th. I take the dog and the kids out for a walk at least 3 or 4 times per week, walk from the back forty in the parking lot at work, use the stairs, and I have walked a "million" miles on Saturdays while working at the Ren Fest.

I should say I lost about three pounds with the yucky puky flu over Labor Day Weekend, so those were freebies, but I kept them off!!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  8:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I really focused on drinking water water today and I think I am doing well. I haven't been counting but I think I will have drunk at least 8 by the end of the day. :D

How are you doing today, Julie?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  8:49:24 PM  Show Profile
oh honey .. join the crowd! NOT that we are a 'healthy' crowd .. that is for sure! yep! consistent exercise (non-existent for me lately!) is one of the keys to maintaining good health all around! i am on MEDS for both those conditions .. and a whacky thyroid AND diabetes! but so far .. luckily .. none of this stuff has slowed me down!

and i swear .. i do believe a good ATTITUDE goes a long, long way to help keep us healthy!

like the NIKE ad sez: just DO it! hugs to you gurlfren .. next year this time, hopefully, you will be telling us how 'fit as a fiddle' you are! xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  07:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Julie,
Sometimes we need to hear these scary close calls to motivate us, don't we? Thank you for posting, this reminds me to work on my own borderline cholesterol, and make sure I don't start to have BP issues.

The greatest, greatest, greatest thing about your post is that although you were diagnosed with one borderline situation, and a second situation that is more serious...neither of these sitations are permanent unless you want them to be! That is indeed good news, because it means it is not too late.

Cholesterol and BP readings will improve, as you lower your weight, so you are one of the very lucky ones who got a wake up call, in time to reduce or reverse these findings. Aren't our bodies simply miraculous?

As for finding ways to take off the weight, any small, medium and large steps will help, cutting back or changing food choices, exercising more, (try counting the number of steps you walk per day and try to reach the target of 10,000). Anything and everything will help, make it a game to park away from malls or offices, take stairs, drink water before a meal, all those little tips and tricks.

I've found FlyLady's Body Clutter section amazing, you can print off a free Body Clutter Investigator worksheet from the flylady.net site and make copies for daily tracking of what you are doing now. It was very revealing to track my food, vitamin and liquid intake, and exercise and mood for a month, and see where to make changes. The form is a WORD document, so I eventually edited it to meet my particular needs more closely.

The other books I have enjoyed are from the team of Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizin (featured regularly on Oprah and Larry King); they have a great website called RealAge.com, again where you can load your own personal info and get a profile and recommendations for your diet, nutrition, exercise needs. A good book they have written is called Waist Management.

Back to the good news; you got a reprieve, an early warning call, and you've got time to correct the problem. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks again for a reminder to take care of my own health!!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 20 2007 07:26:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  5:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! Thank for your concern! WE had parent/teacher conferences tonight and I just got home! So off to bed so I can do it all tomorrow! At least it is Friday!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  9:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

How are you doing with diet/exercise?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee The strange thing is I am a REALLY healthy eater. I hardly eat any red meat at all. I eat a lot of veggies and I cook with very little butter or salt. I really watch my portions and I rarely snack at all. If I do it is usually a green apple or celery sticks. I am hypoglycemic so I try to avoid simple sugars. We only eat whole grains in our house and I drink about 4 2o oz bottles of water and usually 2-3 glasses of water every day!

My husband on the other hand loves fried food, eats a candy bar and drinks a coke every day, loves butter and salt and had LOW cholesterol. It really makes no sense to me.

We also walk about a mile every day and I teach so I am on my feet and running around all day at work. I easily get 10000 steps a day cause I used to wear a pedometer and usually got around 26,000 per day from 5:45 am to 10:00 PM.

I've tried talking to my doctor in the past and he just shrugs his shoulders. He sent me to a dietician once but her plan made me too full and I couldn't follow it because it was too much food. My referal only covered one visit so I never went back. It is just frustrating. I could understand it all if I was doing something wrong but I just feel like I am doing everything right!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

Sounds to me like you really need a good doctor to check everything out. It could be thyroid issues which is easy to fix whether you go the medication route or the natural remedy route. I would suggest a daily journal for you to write all of your daily intake and also excersize. Water is very important as your body will not function properly if dehydrated.

I am also at the point where I need to lose 60 pounds and my blood pressure is very high. I have cut out all fried foods so far and it has dropped a bit. I am doiung a dialy journal which I will bring with me to the doctor to go through and see where I need to make changes.

Let me know if you have room for one more in your weight loss group.

blessings
beth
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Norman MacEwan

I Can

http://blissnblossomfarm.com
http://lifeatbnbfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

I agree- It sounds like you are doing everything right. I too suggest the food/water/exercise journal. Maybe do it for 2 weeks and then go to a new doctor. Hopefully they can see something.

Perhaps you aren't getting _enough_ calories? Not eating enough can actually make you gain weight!

Also I still highly recommend the oatmeal every morning route. I would even throw in some purifying fruits like blueberries and strawberries and some whole flax seed or freshly crushed flax seed.

Sometimes if you are so careful about the oils you intake it can actually cause cholesterol to rise as well.

I think you need more rounds with a good doctor, since there are lots of metabolic issues that could cause your problems and maybe more visits with the dietician. I know how hard it can be to make time for these appointments and on a teacher's salary it can be hard financially. But your health is worth it! *hugs*

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm joining you all. I've not been feeling well, just very blah and a little light headed from time to time so I made a visit to the dr today and she started me on blood pressure meds. Not something I'm happy with because I'm trying to work on going more natural so I need to make a visit to the naturopath to see what she has to say about more natural steps to getting it down. I also am quite overweight, this is the first time I've "said" this out loud but I could stand to lose close to 100 pounds-very embarassing for me but it is what it is and the only thing I can do about it now is to lose it.

She also took blood to do some other tests and I'm really crossing my fingers that they don't come back too bad because I'm in the middle of an insurance change and anything pre-existing won't be covered for 180 days once my new insurance starts. That's got me a little freaked out because as much as your bodily health is important to you I think financial health is close to being as important. I'm trying not to let myself freak out about it all because, like the weight, it is going to be what it's going to be and I'll just have to deal with it whatever comes.

Glad to have all of you ladies with your tips and support!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:46:41 AM  Show Profile
I take Thyroid medication (synthroid) and it never made me feel any better though. My doc put me on it even though the tests show a "normal" thyroid cause he thought the same things. 2 years and no obvious changes. What are some natural remedies?

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  1:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Elizabeth!

I think the communal relationship is necessary to help support us while we try to get healthy. *hugs* So again, Welcome!

So what is everyone's plan to get healthy?

I am going to keep trying to drink water to help stay hydrated and flush the toxins. Also thirst can be mistaken for hunger so hopefully it will help curb my over eating. I am also going to make an effort to do exercise everyday.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  4:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I've started drinking more water and watching my salt intake today. I'm planning to stock up on more fresh fruits and veggies at work, it's harder here because it's not my house and I'm not here everyday-I'm a live-in nanny, but I'm sure if I let my bosses know what's going on they'll be more than happy to help out with that stuff. I'm also going to make a serious effort to do some kind of exercise everyday, walking will probably be what I do the vast majority of the time. I'd like to find something else to do with myself to help the snacking I do through out the day while the nanny kids are in school...not sure what yet but something...

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Keep drinking that water! It'll help flush that sodium out :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Hows it going today? I'm about to drink my 5th glass of water today! It's only 1:45. Went to chinese for lunch with some kids that go to our school. I had a bowl of wonton soup, 2 crab rangoons and 1 egg roll. (drank water) I'm sure the fat content was high but compared to what I normally eat when we go for chinese I am REALLY proud of myself! I love those crab rangoon and usually pack away about 6 of them!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  12:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great job on the water, Julie! It is hard to control ourselves when a wonderful feast is in front of us, isn't it? I can't go to our Chinese buffet anymore unless it is for take-out otherwise I go home groaning! If I do take-out I get a lot of the sushi wraps to cut down on the greasy stuff.

I need to drink more water today, I haven't been doing so well. In fact I have a headache right now which is probably from lack of water.

I just ate a bunch of veggies for lunch, and I am planning on making something yummy for dinner- just not sure what yet! :D

Oh yes, and I forgot- we went on a walk last night and Nora dropped one of her favorite chewie toys. I was so disappointed when we got back and the lion was missing. So today we went to the walk again and luckily found the lion. It looks like he was hit by a car, but a good wash should fix him up again. But even better- I have gotten in 2 walks in less than 24 hours! I am feeling really good about that and I am going to try and do a morning and evening walk with Nora and Sky. Sky got so excited about just going for a walk- I know she would love it if we walk more. And maybe this winter if it snows, she can pull Nora on a sled! :D!!!

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Sep 22 2007 12:39:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  7:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Today I had a banana for breakfast, I was going to do the oatmeal but time slipped by me before I was able to get it made. Around 11am I had a cheese stick and then headed out to go to the cider mill with my nanny kids, my parents and my sister and niece. We walked around and looked at the pumpkins and gourds they had and then went through the gift shop. We got to take a hay ride back to where their corn maze was, I've never been to a corn maze before-it was such a good time. They had three hidden locations in the maze that if you found them and colored the correct number on your card you'd get entered into a drawing at the end of their season. Our group split up and the first time me and my nanny kids only found the second one so when we got out we went back in again and found the other two. The land was hilly and it was a good walk, I'd say about 30 minutes or so. We stopped for lunch at Wendy's and I had a salad. I took all the kids home, we stopped at Trader Joes on the way to pick up fixings for a taco salad dinner.

I think I did pretty good with the water, I got at least my 8 glasses and maybe even a little more than that. Looks like you ladies have been doing a good job today too :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  9:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good job Elizabeth! Sounds like you are really watching what you eat and getting great exercise in!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  08:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
A side note on the egg roll- not to depress you but I saw a bit on egg rolls and they are not great for you they run around 400 calories each and you could have a veggie stir fry with brown rice which is much more filling. Also stay away from MSG- super high sodium and its an excitotoxin, not good either especially when taken with diet soda. I LOVE chinese food and have learned what is best to eat. the soup was a great choice though and water water water.

I am not sure who mentioned the oatmeal for breakfast but that is a really great way to start the day- add a piece of fruit and you are set for the morning. Blueberries are especially good for you.

I am going to make a doctor appointment for this week- just for a thumbs up and my MIL won't stop bugging me! Glad to see everyone working so hard!

blessings
beth
Norman MacEwan

I Can

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile
What I called an egg roll is not what you usually see in chinese restaurants. It is steamed in a wonton wrapper and not fried. It is filled with veggies only - no meat. They actually call it a "steamed spring wonton" or something like that. Is is just rolled to resemble an eggroll. But don't get me wrong I have no illusions about the amount of calories that are in any type of takeout food. I wasn't really bragging about what I ate as much as I was about what I DIDN"T eat! LOL! I am usually VERY piggish at the chinese restaurant and can usually eat almost as much as my husband!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Also I am allergic to MSG so no MSG for me!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Julie- Sorry sorry- not ment to offend at all!!!!!Good for you Julie- wasn't meaning to scold- just inform. I have a slight addiction to cream cheese wontons- and they are fried and so very hard to resist!!!!!!!!!! I have a great recipe for spring rolls- will have to dig it up.

Sounds like you are doing great. My biggest challenge will be taking time to eat right- so much on the go that I tend to go with fast and easy instead of quick and healthy. Will have to stock up on MJ's granola bars.

I get the feeling that I am at the bottom of a pool(ear pressure , etc) when I eat stuff with MSG so I stay far away from it.

blessings
beth
Norman MacEwan

I Can

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Cholestorol / High Blood Pressure Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page