True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  1:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary!
Lots of good advice floating around here,huh?

I thought about something I learned when working on my whole-cloth quilt. I used 100% cotton,fabric and batting.
I chose all high quality materials and hand quilted a very intricate design. Once I washed it the design was not nearly so visible. Very disappointing!
A lady at our local quilt shop tried to help me troubleshoot the problem BEFORE I do another one.
We thought perhaps the cotton batting shrunk and caused tiny puckering which hid all the intricate designs.
She suggested using a poly/cotton batting. I haven't done another yet but I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing.
I'm glad it was a baby sized quilt- but I can't tell you how lovely it was before I washed it.
Any similar experiences?
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  4:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I've prewashed all my flannel fabrics, and was reading today about how I should also prewash the cotton batting before quilting. Otherwise the materials would be shrinking at different rates.

My quilting certainly will not be intricate. But I imagine, Autumn, after you did all that lovely handwork how disappointed you were to have the fabric puckering up like that. Will be interested in others' experiences in this area.

Thanks for welcoming me in this thread. I'm such a newbie, and I'm learning so much.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  5:11:08 PM  Show Profile
My mom's been quilting for 20 years and when she taught me, she told me to use Warm and Natural batting. You can buy it at JoAnn's.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3205&PRODID=prd14660

I've only made a few quilts...um...first I made a Split 9 Patch and I was so excited! I made another one in different fabrics and gave it to a friend. Then my mom taught me this one .. Oh I can't remember the name but it has big stars on it...I made 2 of those, one for each of my older daughters in coordinating fabrics. I'll try to get pictures of these.

Then I made another one but can't remember what was next.

Then I made this one..it's a pattern from the Elm Creek Quilt books. It has been machine-quilted (the picture was before I mailed it to my mom - she has a quilting machine) but I haven't done the binding yet - it's my least favorite part!

Now I"m working on a 12-block that is all squares/trianges in different patterns. I think I have 2 more blocks to make and then I'll piece it all together. Here are a few of the blocks:

After I get the above one finished, I'm going to make a Bargello. It takes me a long time to make one as I just don't get a lot of sewing time...and I have to put everything away all the time! LOL But I just keep going through different things that I find interesting or that my mom makes me try. :)

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, Very pretty quilt and quilt blocks!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  9:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Mary, great advice from an expierenced quilter is worth its weight in gold.
I like Mary would baste it, so that nothing shifts.
I have done fleece but used it as the backing and not batting in the middle, I can truly say it was a pain because the fleece streched and shifted so much even with all the pinning. Was trying it for an experieince, I don't think I would ever do it again.
I love seeing all the quilts ladies.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  03:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Melissa! thanks for all the great pics! love them! keep them coming! :-D

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Melissa
You sure get a lot done for having to "put things away" all the time. My stuff has it's own room and I still can't get much done lately!
Your quilt and squares are so pretty.
Tks for sharing them with us.
Keep those pictures coming,girls. It's inspiring.
Blessings,
Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  8:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Autumn,

I'm hoping you are in Houston enjoying the Quilt show I didn't remember what day you were going but I'm there in spirit with you. One day I'm going to make it to Houston...maybe we can meet up one year to enjoy it together!

Let me know what goodies you come home with.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  4:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey Friend!!! (Stephanie)
I just returned from Houston- what can I say! I began at 10:30 am and looked at so much fiber art that my eyes were tired of looking-left at 6pm. It was truly TOO much.
The number of vendors was stupifying and the wares they were peddling were not to be believed! So much STUFF!
Needlepunch embroidery and felting seemed to be the most demonstrated.
Lots of lovely patterns,ideas,fabrics and every gadget known to "woman"!
BUT not one treadle machine! Several Singer Featherweights- lots of new machines.
The show book stated in BIG BOLD PRINT-NO PHOTOGRAPHY- so being obedient I left the camera at my dads.
Well every woman there had a camera and was busily snapping shots even where the signs were posted NO PHOTOS.
I had mixed feelings but decided I did the right thing in following the rules. Pictures wouldnt do the art justice.
So I have no photos to share but lots of lovely memories and very tired feet!!!
I'm not sure I will ever have the desire to go back- how can there be more creativity???
I suppose my "small farmgirl world" is big enough for me cause the whole rest of things is just so big!!
Whew! Am I glad I'm home!
Keep in touch Stephanie!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile
melissa your wip is beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Melissa!! Your quilt and the WIP are wonderful. Great colors too. Love your work. Here is a quilt a few of us worked on for a friend. I have a nosy hen (she is always following me and calling me to come outside!) checking it out.

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  12:44:15 PM  Show Profile
close up of bottom
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile
close up of top

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  12:54:51 PM  Show Profile
omg...great job...you whip those out so fast! i think i sent the wrong size square...sorry! I never even realized until now...oops
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  1:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jess! Your block was bigger, but that only forced me to look outside of the box to make something work! Clare had sent me an extra block during the fall swap, and they looked so nice together that I used it on this quilt. I am sure that our friend will love it!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile
yes she will!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I actually enjoyed the quilting part this time too. My friends here at home said I did a good job with it! I did a meandering stitch with a slight pattern to it. Fun stuff!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  5:00:45 PM  Show Profile
very cool..i am still working on the ones for our other friend
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Love it Seryl-lyn. Your friend will really love that quilt for sure!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  6:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn
I LOVE that quilt! Aren't friendship quilts fun to do? So rewarding and the work seems to go faster.
Tks for sharing great pictures!
I love seeing all the projects you girls have and are doing.
Keep it up!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  1:05:52 PM  Show Profile
She will LOVE this you Sheryl-lyn!! How pretty..what a wonderful keepsake too!! I wish I could be there when she opens the box!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could be there too! We will all be there in our own way though, won't we? Thanks for the compliments. I enjoyed making it. Everyone did a great job on the blocks. When I saw all the different colors, I was nervous about finding a color to make the sashings and borders bring it all together, but it all looks great together. Just like us!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  7:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls
I wanted to post a link to the postcard quilt images from a supplier I met in Houston.
Very nice folks and lots of supplies.
I bought the fusible postcard backs and images. Kind of a collage pak, I think.
They have lots of pretty ideas on the scrolling pics- take a look-
http://ribbonsmyth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=30

If anybody has done one of these share your ideas- I'm all ears!!!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  05:20:51 AM  Show Profile
Autumn, I still have not tried to make one. That site gives beautiful ideas!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl
I saw dozens of them at the Int'nl quilt show- very inspiring! I have no time right now but in a couple of weeks I may get time to try my hand at it
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt n stitch Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page