True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Kathie
I dont have any - or at least much -hand pain YET- but I stitch as though my eyes will be gone tomorrow. Probably my greatest concern is NOT being able to stitch one day-
I might give the machine a second chance but I think I will have to take a class. It will be 2 yrs till I finish schooling my younges -so a class will have to wait till then.
Ya got me thinking about it though.
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Your crazy quilts are beautiful girls, at present I am sitting her ripping our borders around an exchange block for my quilt group. I read the directions wrong, thankfully made them too big so just have to cut down. Thank goodness, that is after ripping out the outside border of the block....ya know, one who needs to use reading glasses on to see should wear them wear them when reading directions don't ya think.....live and learn.
Have wonderful evenings girls, going back to ripping out....
CS

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile
My most dreaded fear-ripping out!!!
I am trying to finish my album quilt and I keep find one little place I forget to quilt-
It's like the widow's oil in the Bible- there's always more!!
I'm itching to start a new project too.
I think I'll be motivated shortly- can't say anything yet - but wait a bit and I'll tell ya why!
Here's a picture of some miniature quilts I did long ago.

Blessings

Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  10:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Autumn love your Amish quilts.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile
WOO! HOO!
I am celebrating!!!
I finally finished my album quilt!!!
I started this one in January this year and finished it a couple of days ago! All hand appliqued and quilted.

Just had to share it with you all!!!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  6:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, That is just beautiful!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Yes! that hand made quilt is wonderful! I like to do hand work too....

I am making quilts on machine now...the first one is good if you look at the pieced side...but not the back.
The next one is simple log cabin but I still can't seem to get the seams even.
When I made my first quilt (25 years ago) entirely by hand we measured and marked each seam before sewing. I think that would make all the difference. I am taking classes to do these, so I do what they tell me to do, or at least try.
I am going to finish this one...and then dedicate to do crazy quilt. I think it is just sewn pieces onto a background fabric? So if the background fabric is all pre measured then the rest would be easy.

I sure love the pic you posted Autumn....thanks for sharing with us. Can you get a close up or two for us? Great work..you inspire me!

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile
This is a zoom in of a picture I took . It's not the greatest but you can see that I did echo quilting around each motif and then channel quilting on the wider border pieces.
I just love the artsy kind of quilting~ I think I like the backs better than the fronts~

The Amish back

and finally the baby whole cloth back

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  8:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! Autumn you did an incredible job. Thanks for the close up!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  06:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Autumn, those are absolutely beautiful! You are one talented girl, and just in time for colder weater too!!

Kathy

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  07:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Autumn, thanks for zooming in for us...wow! fabulous job! We really enjoy your pics and your inspiration! I think I speak for all of us!

It finally is getting cool here. It has been record heat for weeks...in the 80s --sometimes close to 90! I am in Northeast Pennsylvania and it should be cool fall by now...the last couple of days it feels like it.
Now we can enjoy our quilts here. :-D

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Lovely quilt, Autumn. I can't imagine all the hours of stitching. What an accomplishment -- a true treasure for your family.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mennonite farm girl
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

ruby
apple valley minnesota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:17:57 AM  Show Profile
I just signed up this early morning to the Welcome Wagon and now find that you are talking about my favorite part of my life and that is quilting. I grew up learning the art of quilting from my mother and grandmother and started my hand quilting business 14 years ago along with other Mennonite and Amish women. All of the quilts that all of you have made and picture here are beautiful. It is truly a growing art.
Thanks for sharing
Ruby
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ruby, Welcome! Would love to see some of your quilts :)
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:43:56 AM  Show Profile
OK, Quilting farm girls. I need help!

This is my first quilt, to be machine pieced and quilted. I purchased the flannel fabrics last year and decided two nights ago to get this underway. The fabrics are prints of roses, paisley, and a couple of red-black and green-black checks. I chose a simple 'Brick Path' pattern from Amy Butler's website.

It's all pieced, except for the last row, and then I need to trim the edges. Oh, and it's not pressed and so looks a little wrinkled. Here are my questions:

1. The finished size is 72" x 72". Isn't that a bit small for a bed? And too big for a lap? I'd really like it to be a lap quilt, I think, for the family room. Our couch sports a black and camel slipcover in the winter and I think this would look great with it. Should I make it slightly smaller?

2. Instead of using batting, I'm thinking of using fleece inside. I've used fleece in a quilted purse, and like its heft and softness. Thoughts?

3. Instructions are to sew the front, back, and batting together and then turn right side out and topstitch all around the edges. Then quilt by machine by stitching 'in the ditch' along the long rows up to the topstitch. Given that some of my rows may not be precisely even, wouldn't that cause me some difficulties in doing all that quilting after the sides are together (i.e., no 'give')? I was thinking of doing the topstitch quilting first and then binding all around. Thoughts?

4. What is 'stitch in the ditch' anyway? Is it sewing right into the seam, or should I stitch 1/8" away from the seam?

I must say that it has been quite satisfying doing the piece work -- it went together quickly. And I don't want to get bogged down with indecision and not get this project done.

I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I'm watching for the suggestions too. My new quilts are harder than I expected. I could use all the hints I can get!

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  2:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Help us!

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  3:15:05 PM  Show Profile
First of all-thank you for your kind words!
Secondly- I want to see your work too!!!

Ruby Welcome!!! So glad you are here!
Please share your work with us! This is a nice bunch of farmgirls- they OOOh and AHHH just right about our work.

Hmmm, I don't really feel qualified to answer those questions.
How about I voice what I would do and the rest of you do the same. That'll at least give Katie-ellsome feedback.

#1-It would definitely look great on the sofa!

#2 I've never used fleece so I can't comment there.

#3-I have done that "stitch it all and then top stitch" thing and I didn't like it- had to rip it all out-best I rememberfor exactly the reasons you mentioned.

#4-As I understand it-stitch in the ditch is right next to one side of the seam.
What do you girls think?
Since I mainly do handwork I may be incorrect about that. I know precious little about machine work.
Post your pictures please - I cant wait to see some of your work,ladies.
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  6:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Stitch in the ditch is when you use a walking foot and stitch in the seam. You really don't see it. I was taught to use clear thread (like fishing wire) I did not like it. If your rows are not even you would have a hard. I think you would be happier with a nice heavy batting. I just don't know how the fleece would work out. (I have not used it as batting) When you are pinning the quilt be sure it is smooth or when you quilt it you will have pleats. I would definitely quilt first then bind. I am no expert just passing on what I have learned through my mistakes. I think the quilt would be very pretty on the sofa!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Autumn and Cheryl, thanks for your input. Do I need to have a walking foot in order to machine stitch straight lines? I think I'll stitch next to the seam instead of right into it. And I don't want to use clear thread -- I know I'd make a mess of it!

Cheryl, I think you're right about using a nice heavy batting. Probably the right way to go. And I think I will quilt first and then bind.

What do you think about the size? Is 72" x 72" too big for a quilt for snuggling in on the sofa? Or should I just make it up that size and have the option of using it on the sofa or on the bed? ('Twould be great across the foot of the bed on those cold midwestern winter nights, I think!)

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I would keep it 72 x 72. I have always used a walking foot. What you could do is practice on a piece with the batting and see how you do.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  8:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Autumn Autumn
How absolutley beautiful and an amazing job. I love the whole cloth. Dd has handquilted a whole cloth and it is beautiful. I am just not there yet, but oh my girl, what a beaut!!!!!
CS

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Stitch in the ditch is stitching in the seam line. I would not use fleece to line a flannel quilt. It will be too difficult to stitch through the three layers. I would definitely use a walking foot and I would not finish the edges until after the quilt is quilted. Depending on how well you baste it the layers are going to shift some, even with a walking foot, and not finishing the edges until it is quilted will help prevent puckers, especially on the backing. The size you have is perfect for folding it over the back of your sofa.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Mary, Thank you thank you! Your advice is so welcomed. I'm going to buy a batting -- probably cotton -- and a walking foot and then begin my machine-quilting adventure. Can I use lots of safety pins for basting? I just read somewhere online that it works better than handbasting. I'm geeked to finish this and not let it become an unfinished treasure.

Thanks bunches!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Safety pins work well, but they make my fingers sore fastening and unfastening! A flannel quilt will be quite thick so you may find out that basting with a big running stitch is easier. Good luck. I think you will have a beautiful warm quilt to snuggle under this winter.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt n stitch Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page