ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  5:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Trust me, Autumn, mine doesn't look great--not even passable right now! The teacher told us we have to put in 100 miles before we'll even feel halfway competent at machine quilting--so I still have 99.9998 more to go!!

I'm putting the crazy nine patch blocks we swapped last spring into a crazy, bright quilt for my 6 year old niece. I thought it would be a perfect place to start my 100 miles. I'll post pictures when it's all put together.

I also got fabric for borders, backing & binding for the fall quilt block swap blocks. That may be my second project - we'll see how this class goes first!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Nin! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Kathy! 100 miles!!!!!!I'll never make it!!!
I am finishing the applique quilt (on pg1)
Ill try to post a picture in the next few days- it has turned out so wonderful! I am so pleased that I challenged myself.I'm certain that there are things that could be better but over all I am happy with it.
Blessings!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  06:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of my front porch. I covered pillows in Halloween fabric and made the Halloween manner. The little boo pillow in the middle was from a swap. Of course my cat had to get in the picture!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
cute picture

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl- that is just adorable! Boy your cat fits right in!!!
That is too funny(the cat)
You are a busy bee!!!

I stopped at the local quilt shop and got some more pointers- I almost made a huge mistake on binding. They advised me to do the same color as the background rather than contrasting it.
I should- notice I said SHOULD- get to that this weekend. It seems every time I say that another interruption appears!
Oh well- maybe this time I'll get to it.
Blessings
Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile
I might actually get to piece some blocks this weekend for some clubs I belong to at the quilt shop by me!! I am so excited about that. My house is almost clean (husband did A LOT!! today when he got home early! WOW!) so I can go out for a little ride and then spend all weekend sewing if I feel like it, which I do. You guys do nice work. I love reading about your projects.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile
oh wow i love on the first page the boutique fabric quilt with embrodery. i have several quilts in different stages only one is complete if i dont count the crib sized blankets there is about 4 or 5 of those. will have to post pics sometime. Right now i am working on yoyos that i dont know what i am going to do with them.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
very nice pic of porch!

Quilting...sewing..reading...posting...swapping. I LOVE being a FARMGIRL!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  10:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone enjoy Crazy Quilting? I love it because you can add everything but the kitchen sink!! LOL

Here is a link to a gallery of all the different blocks in a Y2K Crazy Quilt that a girl made...It is awesome!

http://inaminuteago.com/buttonquilt/buttonboxgallery.html

Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Oct 15 2007 10:35:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  05:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
what about doing a Christmas fabric swap for a crazy quilt...what do ya think? Or just a piece of fabric swap for crazy quilt? Stephanie, do you have an idea?

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great to me!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  06:49:28 AM  Show Profile
I'll dig up my crazy quilt piece I have had in progress for 15 yrs- dont get excited- it isnt all that- I just cant get back to it!
I also have one from 1898 that has my initials embroidered on it.
Later today I'll get a pic up of both if ya'll want to see them.
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  08:36:07 AM  Show Profile
This is the 1898- correction 1891!! quilt I bought at a flea mkt for $5.
It is ragged but oh so pretty.

How handy that MY initials(AC) and the date were stitched on it!!!
I just love it!

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Oct 16 2007 08:38:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  08:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that is pretty cool I must admit

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda,

That sounds great...We could actually let it be a swap of anything that applies to crazy quilting...some could send fabric, buttons, beads, floss, threads, charms, etc..and then we'd all be surprized with what we wind up with

That is my Brain---- for the moment..LOL...gotta go get ready to go the Chiropractor..Be back later.. Whatever y'all think is good with me!

Stephanie

quote:
Originally posted by yarnmamma

what about doing a Christmas fabric swap for a crazy quilt...what do ya think? Or just a piece of fabric swap for crazy quilt? Stephanie, do you have an idea?

Linda in PA

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  2:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I'd rather have the swap more defined... say 50 squares of various sizes fabric... We can think about it.... sounds fun to me. I have been taking quilting classes and it is much harder than it looks..
I may have to just stick to log cabin or crazy quilt...can't get my seams the right size or measure good.

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  1:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Here's my 15 year project. I work on it every once in a while- but it is so detailed I have never felt the need to rush. Maybe it's a LIFETIME project

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  1:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Autumn, what a great crazy one! As for me, if the fabric overlaps something else and covers the back then that's all that I care about. My brain thinks like a crazy quilt ....LOL don't handle precise things very good. LOL We are thinking about a swap after new years about crazy quilt or charm quilt fabrics.
I just rec'd a fat quarter pkg today...I think it was from Ktknits. Nice fabrics!

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I love crazy quilts! I made one for my daughter when she was 16. I put pictures of her friends on it and each block has something from a memory of her life until that point. She loves it.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  4:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherl-lyn
I have never been successful in transferring the pictures to fabric. I have attempted it twice and gave it up.
Some things are just not meant to be- for me anyway.:)
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  6:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, That is a beautiful quilt! I love the embroidery you did on it.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Autumn,
Beautiful quilts, I don't care if they are crazy! That one you got for five dollars is really something. I would like to try to make one, as I said, TRY.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Our local quilt shop has a photo transfer service. I took pix of my grandparents and great-grandparents in and they did a great job of transferring the photos. Then I made a wall hanging for one of my grandmas. The other g'ma passed away before I could give her the wall hanging I was making, so it just got put off to the side. It's been 5 years since she's been gone now, so maybe I should take it out and finish it up for myself.

The crazy quilt is very cool!! I have a friend who has an embroidered vest that is a lifetime project - she brings it to our annual stitching retreat so we can see the progress annually!

I go to machine quilting class #3 tomorrow night. Now we're learning how to machine quilt sections of a quilt and then assemble the quilt after it's all quilted. I think I may use this method to put my fall quilt block exchange quilt together!

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Kathie

You are busy indeed!
I tried machine quilting again- and I guess I just don't enjoy it.
I tried it on a small panel- then I started hand quilting it and loved it so much that I'm not sure I care if I learn how to machine quilt.
I guess I just have to accept that I enjoy handwork more and just do it.
Bless you, who can get it together to Machine quilt!!My hat is off to you!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, here's my dilemma. I, like Autumn, LOVE to do handwork. Over the years I've done a ton of cross stitch, some embroidery, needlepoint, smocking and hand quilting. I've always said that my sewing machine and I were NOT friends, so if something has to be sewn, it's going to be sewn by hand. My first love for about the last 30 years has been knitting and crocheting, and about 10 years ago I started to spin and more recently to weave. All very hand intensive. Add to this my "day job" of being a CPA, which involves writing, running the calculator, and typing, and the fact that I'm almost 50, and you have a fine recipe for hand/arm pain.

I've been going to the chiropractor (because I detest the idea of surgery or of medication), and he recommended, you guessed it, he actually had the nerve to recommend that I cut back on the hand intensive hobbies! HA!

So, I've learned to pace myself when knitting and spinning. For quilting, I got a new sewing machine earlier this year, and I've been trying to make friends with it and re-learn how to machine sew and quilt, so I can give my right hand a rest (because as I re-learn how to sew, I'm also **making** myself learn how to use my left hand for more of the work).

All this to say that I'm with you Autumn--handwork is my first love, but if I want to continue to make things, I've got to save the hands and rely more on the machine! And, I must say that doing things on the machine actually gets them to the "done" stage instead of being "in progress" for years (not that that's a problem--I'm more of a process oriented person than an end product person, but it is nice to see things get done!!).

Kathy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt n stitch Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page