Page: of 16

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  9:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I do not get why the images show as links instead of images.
Sorry, will try again.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  10:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Trying again with this one

Made out of African fabrics.

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Sep 16 2007 10:21:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  10:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Back to the first ones.

and
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  12:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that just awful having that many tops and yes, beleive it or not 20 in process, some cut, some blocks done, some partly done. Yep, crazy quilter here. I have completed 11 or 12 but gave them away. LOL I don't even have one on our bed. Sad, isn't it!!!!!! Ahhhh the dilemas of a quilter, but we have so much fun.....
Love getting to see the pictures.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  03:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I am in awe of the collective talent shown in this thread. I am also very impressed with the secret code language, from darning foots to feed dogs! High five to all! Gonna dip my toe in the waters of quilting..... Nance
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  04:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
hey ya'll! I love the pics....wonderful quilting...I am inspired for sure. The class I am taking is for Double Irish Chain....done with 2 inch squares...machine done.
I like my sewing machine...tho hand piecing is easier. I prefer machine for the quilting. I really love the fabric that I picked so if ya have to look at it over and over and so close up ya better like the fabric...LOL
this is becomming my favorite topic!

"What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding, every second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath."
-- Thomas Crum

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I can't believ all of the gorgeous quilts on here! I am so insipred to get my done now. Simply Quilts is on my tv right now! lol

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Here are a couple more 'finished' quilts.

This one is a little "postcard size" quilt.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  10:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Mary- I just love the postcard size!!!
I did a whole set of Amish mini's- I learned so much !
Some of you machine quilters could give us few tips on the feet and other jagon mentioned.
I may try to machine quilt a mini-I might be able to handle that- just never thought of it-DUH!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  12:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, is the first quilt you showed a Baltimore hand applique quilt?
I have 12 blocks I finished with the Balimore design, I have to make one more because they are on point so it takes 13. I mostly Crazy quilt but loved doing the hand applique which I swore I would never do all that stuff by hand ,but here I am loving it.
I also get the blocks done and then never seem to get them put together, but this winter Im going to have to get busy and put some of these I have TOGETHER
shirley
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile
ShirleyYes it is Baltimore style- it was a pattern from American Patchwork & quilting mag-June 2006
The pieces seemed large enough for me to work with so I tackled it.
I am so glad I finally did it!
It was designed to be done by machine but I am a klutz on the machine so I did needle turn applique.
I am echo quilting it-also by hand . I should be done in just a few weeks.
I love crazy quilting too-combines my 2 favorite things=patchwork & embroidery.
I have done a good bit of that as well. It moves really slow but is so beautiful. Most of the pieces I have done I gave away or donated for fundraisers. They raise a bit more money than traditional patchwork ,I guess.

I hope you get those squares put together- it is so rewarding to see it all done!
I am a finisher- sort of. I have several things going at once but unless I am getting finished with them I refuse to start others.I lose hope if I have too much started and none of it getting finished.

Tammy & Linda-Thanks for jumping in- looking forward to getting to kow you.
Corinne- I love the African quilt- our local shop doesnt carry much exotic stuff- it's a tiny shop but very sweet people.

Blessings!
Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  6:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I have never done a post card quilt. Did you make-up your own pattern? It is so cute. Nancy, now that the weather is getting colder you will have plenty of time to learn to quilt!!! My first quilt that I posted I made about 12yrs ago. When ever I feel like I am making to many mistakes I just have to go and look at it and I am reminded that I have learned a few things along the way.
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have another question - I am still fighting with my machine. It wants to eat my quilt backing. Couuld it be the fabric itself? The backing is a silk/cotton blend, and the top is thin jersey like material. My husband liked them so I put them together. Should I purchase a walker foot and size 90 quilting needles? I have a Brother sewing machine and it came with the zipper foot, button foot, darning plate, basic needles, double needle, and extra bobbins. I am having such a hard time with this and I really can't hand stitch the whole thing due to my wrist. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,

Yes I made up the design. I had some iron on pieces from another kit and put them on the ticking and stitched them down with a blanket stitch and quilted. It was a gift for a friend.

Tammy,

A walking foot would probably help a lot. I use one for everything I quilt by machine. You have put together an unusual combination of fabrics, but I don't think the size of the needle would make much difference. You may have to baste the sandwich together more closely to prevent the backing from catching in the machine.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:31:07 PM  Show Profile
OOOOOH! I can almost feel the anxiety,Tammy.It almost seems like one of my machine wars!
I think I need hands on instructions to understand machine quilting.
I get so mixed up about which foot is which and how to move the fabric along.
I'm gonna keep reading and learning from all your good questions!I mastered bias tape by listening to these bright girls!
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:50:31 PM  Show Profile
This is not a good shot- but you get the idea. (My husband wouldn't appreciate me making him get out of bed so I could take a better picture of my favorite quilt)

This is the reverse side-of the medallion. This was a thrill to piece-took such a short time!And just as much fun to quilt.I did some free hand designs on the large portions but Im not sure if that shows in the picture.

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Sep 17 2007 7:53:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  8:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
I'd be in tears, too, if I tried quilting jersey and silk together by machine. I'd want to try a walking foot for sure. That being said, I've never had much success with machine quilting. I've taken a class and they have you work on something about a foot square. Not even close to something that will fit on a bed. I just can't seem to handle all that quilt at once no matter how much I baste it. You could consider hiring the quilting out. I've never done it and I imagine it is expensive. I don't know. I expect I'll die with a big pile of quilt tops, nothing finished. LOL

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  05:35:32 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, I have a really nice machine quilting book. I can copy some of the pages for you if would like. Email me your address.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  05:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Thanks so much everyone for all the advice. I really needed it. I got so frustrated yeaterday that I balled it up and put it in a cabinet :( I think I will go get it and baste it more. It worse comes to worse, I will have to hand quilt. I may not be using it for a few years though...lol

Cheryl -
I would appreciate it if you could send me some of your pages from the book. I'll e-mail you with my e-mail addy . Thanks so much!

You are all the best!

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:09:22 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you ever been to the International Quilt show in Houston?
Blessings
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
No - I have never been off of the East Coast! I need to get out more....

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile
No, But wouldn't it be fun!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  06:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Well I'll let ya know how it goes! This is the first year I will be able to go- if things work out.
I am only a couple of hours away and my dad lives in Houston but when it comes to the BIG city I really am a farmgirl.
Houston is BIG!!! I grew up there and dont have a real desire to go- except to see my dad and the quilt show. My teenager will be going with me and I'll take pictures. It is the first week in November.
What are you girls working on?
Tammy did you get your project out of the trash?
You made me laugh when you said you just balled it all up and tossed it!!Sounds like me!!
I wont even sew on the kind of fabric you mentioned- it takes special skills as far as Im concerned.
Also if I'm not having fun- why should I be working on something?
Blessings!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  10:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Hey Autumn ( Love your name!!)

I still have it...lol, I just think I should stay away from it for a few more days. I did go out and buy some #90 needles for my machine and then I'll go out and get a walker foot. If that doesn't do it, then my quilt may become ALOT of pillows (the think is KING size)!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Don't ya just hate it when something enormous wont work?!!

I have a corduroy pieced top in my attic from 20 yrs ago- I still cant bring myself to fix it! It's just TOO BIG and too much of a mess!!

I'm doing some small things while I work on my applique quilt or I'll get frustrated.
I just got back from Hancocks and found the neatest little light- it clips onto the edge of of an embroidery hoop. I'm hoping it will clip onto my quilt frame so I can see to work at night.
Age has it's limits!!!
Blessings!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt n stitch Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page